parkrun challenge!

I have set myself the challenge of running all the 45 Greater London parkruns in one year for charity, this coming week is Wimbledon Common! Feel free to come and join me in one of my runs!

I am writing a blog about my adventure and as well raising money for charity want to try to promote parkrun as a great fun way to get into running!

https://mhatter67.wordpress.com

Twitter @mhatter67

thanks

Mark

Tagged:

Comments

• Mark - good luck! Wimbledon is my home parkrun (unfortunately cant join you as I am injured). Just remember if it rains heavily wear trail shoes, it can be particularly muddy around the common!

all the best.

• Hi,

Thanks for the advice I will keep that in mind, hope you get better soon may see you in the future in another one of my South London parkruns later in my adventure!

regards

Mark

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

I'm not a regular as such but I suppose there's an outside chance we might meet at Dulwich Park, Brockwell Park, Avery Hill (Greenwich), Hilly Fields, or Norman Park (Bromley). I think that covers all the ones I've done.  Peckham Rye, Burgess Park and Danson Park (Bexley) all close by on my to-do list. If you want to know anything about any of them let me know.  Good luck!

• HI Phil,

here is my current schedule of parkruns run or upcoming this may well change but will keep this page updated!

https://mhatter67.wordpress.com/2016/06/06/blog-post-title/

I have run Dulwich park that will definitely be on my final list of best London parkruns to run of PB's on! Thanks may come back on tips to run the other parkrun that you mentioned though!

For the record I will be the one wearing a blue Keech Hospice vest running at the moment very slowly pace image

best

Mark

• PhilPubPhilPub ✭✭✭

Dulwich isn't my official "home" parkrun but is the one I've done most often, and my PB course. It won't surprise you that the others I've done are all slower courses, particularly Hilly Fields (the clue's in the name) - especially Christmas Day on a massive hangover. imageimage

Just reading your reviews so far, Southwark is also on my to-do list.  And there's a definite possibility I'd be along for Peckham Rye. That's flat but a bit more twisty than Dulwich.  image

• Looking forward to my personal 50th parkrun that will be the home of parkruns Bushy Park, but not organised a easy one before christmas as I have been told Crystal Palace is quite hilly!

My final London parkrun is a park in Edmonton then I am looking forward to a lay in on Saturdays again image

• The hardest part of the challenge is not the running of these events, traveling but trying to raise money for charity even though my local hospice is a very noble cause!

My other aim of this challenge is to promote parkrun as an excellent way into running and meeting people. Finally you are all welcome to my home parkrun that is Luton Wardown Park where you will receive an warm friendly welcome!

• Mark, why not introduce yourself before the run at Wimbledon to Liam O'Hare, who is run directing this week? He could mention what you're doing...

Oh, and if you're driving, don't leave it to the last minute - the car park gets packed by about 8.45.

• Hi Peter,

Every week I send a hi message to every upcoming  parkrun on their Facebook page and twitter account and if I don't get a response that way I send an email to them directly through the parkrun volunteer email address!

All the parkrun directors have been very helpful and promote me on announcements before the start of the race, I don't probably want to be to pushy and ask them to mention that I have a donation page off my website!

i know that I should get a good sum at home locally but quite understandably the patrons of the parkruns that I am running don't know me so probably very weary to donate even if they were inclined to want too!

Thanks for the tip about parking I was going to park at the windmill museum car park and will probably arrive before 8:30am, are you running there this weekend?

best

Mark

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Hi Mark

You should pop back to oak hill and do the flat A course when you get a chance. That b course is not how we like to be rememberedimage
  • Hi VDOT52,

you made me very welcome at Oak Hill, I have to smile though I am starting to believe that this challenge will never end, why

1. Run 2 parkruns now run on the tougher route B

2. Double booked myself on the 3rd September with the Spitfire 10k at Hendon thought it was a Sunday raceimage

3. In fairness I will run Wormwood Scrubs again on this challenge schedule even though I run this course before!

4. I hear there is the potential of a new parkrun at Beckenham

Oh well onwards and upwards image

• Mark, I shall be there. 8.30 might be a tad early, but the weather's been good and attendances have been on the high side, so it's as well to get a parking space early if that's how you're coming. I'm sure Liam wouldn't mind announcing you, if only for the novelty value of your challenge, but if you're neither here nor there about it it's not a big deal. Stick around for a coffee if you have time. Beware: two Peter Collinses run this parkrun - I'm the older, slower one.

• Peter,

thanks for the advice and yes it would be great to me up for a cuppa afterwards, this is what I try to do after every parkrun on the challenge, but last week was an exception as I run with a guest that I was not sure would want to stay on especially after being kind enough to drive!

I good running friend said to me, "the most important thing is being able to run and times are a mere bonus image So dont worry how slow or fast you are mate!

Anyway look forward to seeing you on Saturday Peter!

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Running is not all about times. It is about being a runner.
  • Running is partly about times, but not always relative to the other runners...

• Hi Peter,

it it was great to meet you today in person and tell Patrick it won't be long before he breaks 30 mins! Blog will be updated later for today's parkrun.

Anyway all the best,

Mark

• Hi Peter,

Here is my update to my blog about today, thank you and everybody for making me feel part of your parkrun community, enjoy the post!

https://mhatter67.wordpress.com/2016/07/30/event-6-wimbledon-common/

best

Mark

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Mark, re your blog post, parkrun is not a race- apparentlyimage
  • Hi VDOT52,

To me it is meeting new people and running new parkrun courses, little bit worried about parking at Fulham next week though

Changed the word to run nowimage

Best

Mark
  • Simple - park at Wimbledon and jog down Putney hill and over the bridge to Bishops Park. Only a few miles! I've left a message on your blog about who is in the photos.

• Thanks Peter for the comment on my blog, not sure I fancy running up Putney hill on the way back from Fulham though image

Best

Mark
  • Just wanted to give you all an update I completed all 47 Greater London parkruns this past Saturday at Pymmes, Edmonton and it has been some of the best times of my life and raised an excellent some of money for my charity!

Here is my blog that accompanied my challenge,

http://mhatter67.wordpress.com

Best
    Mark
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Brilliant - well done!

What are you going to do on Saturdays now? ;)
  • Nice work sir !

I'd think he may go for a Lie in Nessie ? ;-)
  • > @Nessie said:
    > Brilliant - well done!
    >
    > What are you going to do on Saturdays now? ;)

Hi Nessie,

Thank you for your kind donation, I have one last parkrun this weekend at Ellenbrook Fields, Hatfield and finish my challenge next Saturday 24th at my homecoming parkrun at Luton, Wardown a year after I started my challenge, should be quite emotional!

Must admit my heart goes out to the people of London that what's happened to them in the last few months especially being treated very kindly by each weeks local parkrun community on this challenge :(

On a personal level just want to enjoy running and parkrunning, plus set myself the challenge of running 100 parkrun events at the moment on 53, but this will be done over 2 years!

Finally looking forward to my first lay in on Saturday in the first week in July :)

Best
    Mark
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Fantastic achievement Mark - enjoy the anniversary run and the lie in the week after!
  • Great to see so many of my club friends at my Homecoming parkrun at Luton last Saturday! Finally the challenge is over but I will leave the blog up for reference so runners can find more info out in choosing which London parkrun to choose!

best
    Mark
  • Just to update on this post I have now completed 100 different parkrun events at Houghton Hall on the 8th September and have a new blog https://silentrunner.blog

Now going to complete the 3 new Greater London parkruns I still have to run with the total now being 53 :smile:

Best
    Mark