• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart that's a great run with your club mates, well done

Sub17 nice biking

HM well done on the 4 miler

OH hope the kayaking was fun

Tricia well done for getting out for the 5m

Fiona well done on the run and bike doubles - nice 12.5 miler too

MG a category win and a new record imageimage

Ollie nice long run with MP - very fast !  Well done on the great week's total

Michael huge week the week before last - what's going on in Aviemore?

---

Just a short jog to the shops and back Sunday left me with a heat-damaged week of 44m. 

• Hi all 

Been awol again for a while ! life eh !!

Will catch up properly later 

Did a 10k race last Wednesday ... very warm conditions and with a head wind .. unchipped though so slightly disaponted as I was given bang on 45 mins rather than 44.59 which was what my garmin clocked , plus I had started quite a way behing the line .. still a course PB by just under a minute ... and I think I can claim a sub 45 

Back to marathon training today 18 miles .. 3 easy 8@MP ( around 8mm ) then 7 easy 

total time for 18 was 2.32 average pace 8.27 ... luckily my brother who isnt actually marathon training kept me company .. 

will read back now and catch up later 

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys & thanks.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN well done on the CPB, nice 18 miler with some MP todayimage

HM thanksimage

---

Bit cooler in London tonight, just a 3 mile jog, hoping it stays that way for the LSR tomorrow....

• Kayaking was good if not too adventurous (newbie with us)

Run (6.3 miles), pool swim (1k), sea swim (300m) & 3.2 mile run

first run was just to get me over the 100 in 2016 mark, the second was the regular Monday evening 5k loop with the group.

Welcome back NN

hope you get a cool LSR Tek

• Ollie great mileage for the week and a quick 10 in your long run,what pace did you run the other 8 miles at ?

SM looks like you have quite a tough schedule this week with some fast training runs, hope it stays cooler for you. No sleep at all during the 24 hrs unfortunatly , the heat was tough during the afternoon, I hoped to be a little faster then but didnt drop as much time as the day went into night and morning.

MG7 thats some big miles banked image

Tek still a good week in the heat , enjoy the LR

NN well done on your course PB, your continuing your form nicely.

OH nice combo of training again, good stuff.

Nice rest today with the best sleep for ages last night.
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Evening. image

SM6: Thanks, helps that I did the marathon paced miles near the beginning of the run, though think I will speed up the tempo pace slightly.  Sounds like a tough week, hope your gym/possible swim went well.
    MG7: Some good mileage, even in taper.  Hope you had a good rest day.
    Teknik: Nice easy jogging, and good heated miles.
    NN: Well done on the sub-45 10k, well done! image  Great going on the 18 miles too.
    HM4: Cheers.
    OH: Glad kayaking went well.  Nice running, and double dose of swimming as well.
    MG1: Cheers, the other 8 miles were done in 68:18; had a recovery mile of ~10 mins., then did the rest ~8 min/miles, though a couple were slower.

- - - - - - - - - -

7 miles recovery run today.

Also cycled to Manchester and back (about 6-7 miles from Stockport), cooling down now, which is handy for running.

Have a good day. image
  • Is there an alternative (bike friendly) route to the A6, Ollie? If not, I don't envy you.

On-call today but may get to badminton later

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

OH nice quadruple training day yesterday; hope you get time for a game later

MG enjoy the rest day !

Ollie nice 7m recovery run and well done on the bike too

----

Bit cooler again here this morning, and the run got easier as some clouds appeared.  There was even a hint of breeze along the Embankment.  16m LSR done, with plenty of fluid stops, av pace 8:48. image

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hey. image

OH: Cycled via A6, wasn't too busy though yesterday.  Only problem is constantly passing/being passed by 192s.
    Teknik: Nice 16 miles done today, good stuff.

- - - - - - - - - -

10 miles gen. aerobic w/10 x 100m strides.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

MG1 very well done, that sounds like an amazing experience.

Ollie that was a great MP run - do you think you will be aiming for that pace? When is your marathon and which one?

How is the plan going Stuart? I always end up juggling sessions around!! 

MG7 hope the taper week is going well. Are you doing an event in Aviemore or is it a holiday?

Well done on the LSR Teknik. Do you take cash for water? I'm so lazy I hate carrying a bottle.

NN well done on the 10k - still a cracking time! Nice to have company on the long run.

A good mix of training OH.

Did an easy 45 minute run yesterday then at night a 90 minute turbo with tempo intervals. This morning a 30 minute recovery run and tonight 5 * 5 minute intervals off 1 minute recoveries on the treadmill (rainy out!!)  image

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

• Fiona - Nice couple of doubles doneimage My plan for the week fell at the 1st hurdle...image

Tek - Good pace for the 16image

MG - That's pretty consistent pacing then if you didn't sleep at all! I think I'd have dropped off massively by the last lap!image

Ollie - Nice 10 and 7, and cycleimage

OH - Sounds like a busy day yesterday!image

NN - That was a cracking long run!image

Michael - That's some heavy training you've done recently. Hope the 12 went okimage

------------

Went to the gym yesterday but didn't bother swimming.

Was supposed to be tempo today but went to the club session which again was 6x3 minutes on the grass. Not as slippy as I expected it to be, but I felt pretty tired throughout.

14 tomorrow hopefully.

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

Well done guys and Gals, too much to catch up so will just say well done to everybody it has been tough conditions to run in over the last week.

NP, good luck with the calf, fingers crossed you won't be out for too long

--------------

I am back from my holiday break to North Wales, it is a lovely part of the world, but I did overdo it with running on consecutive days and a lot of walking I have aggravated the Achilles again, so I am back to the eccentric heel drops, I am following a 12 week rehab program, I'll look to finish this before even contemplating running, I am so sick of being injured and running with niggles is not fun I don't know why I have continued to run through it for so long, so the first step is to pull out of Aviemore HM as I would be tempted to rush the recovery to get on the start line.

Looks like I'll be be a bit of a lurker for a while but will pop in from time to time to see how everybody is getting on.

• Sorry to hear that Stewart, but hope you come back stronger and fitter.

• Stewart - Sorry to hear about the continued injury issues, but sounds like the right approach to take. 

---------

14 @ 8:10s done. Felt quite the slog, but good to have it done. That's probably as long as I'll go midweek.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie nice 10m and well done for getting the strides doneimage

Fiona another good couple of days' training. I had a bottle belt with 3 x 200ml bottles of electrolyte solution.  I stopped at the halfway point and bought 500ml of water to refill, then again with about 2 miles to go ! My routes are planned based on Tescos...image

HM thanksimage

Stewart I'm so sorry to hear about the Achilles again - you're doing the right thing to fix it properlyimage

OH tapering again?image

Stuart nice going on that MLRimage

---

8.4m club run with 7 @ "MP".  Tried the 8mm group, averaged 7:53mm.  Very humid and the HR was off the scale.  Oh well...image

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hey all. image

Fiona: Thanks, though it helps that I started the marathon paced miles near the start of my run, so I was fresher and my pace was faster than my target; I'll do the MP miles toward the end of my run next time to better simulate the fatigue and see how well I maintain pace. I'm aiming for sub-3 hours at Abingdon, fingers crossed.  Nice running, intervals and turbo session over the past few days.
    HM4: Thanks.
    SM6: Nice gym and club session.  Good going on the 14 miles today too.
    SC: Good to hear you had a nice break, not so good to hear about the Achilles but hopefully the 12 week rehab will help the running in the long term.
    OH: Did you manage badminton?
    Teknik: Nice going on the 8.4 miles with 7 at marathon pace, great going.

- - - - - - - - - -

13 miles today, easy pace.  Essentially a long recovery run.

Was spotted by my cousin whilst running, she (and a number of other sources) informs me I look angry when running, perhaps an innate response to ward off geese.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Morning 

Olliepop that is some recovery run !  Tell your cousin you are in the zone ! 

Tek nice run there ! HR is going to be high if its humid just throw the thing (HRM )! away like I did image

SM6 excellent mid week MLR , the longest P&D mid weeker is 15 miles in tne toughest schedule so 14 is ample 

SC really sorry to hear you are still injured , I have a male friend exactly the same as you , suffers continually , then he keeps ' testing ' it ! please please rest its the omly way , take care keep lurking , and posting you will get plenty of support here 

Fiona , a nice mix of training , any run races planned ? 

OH busy as ever getting lots of variation , including the kayaking 

9 easy yesterday @8.23 pace

8 today with @ tempo ( ish ) not easy feeling tired today 7.40, 7.33, 7.33, 7.37,.7.41 

• Yep badminton Tuesday , Ollie image

Rest night yesterday but will run tonight with group before heading down to Fort William on Saturday

Don't think many of us manage to smile whilst running (unless pre-warned by "Smile! Photographer 100m" signs on Langdale Half one year)

Hope NP is still lurking and hasn't turned into a fish

A long run for "school day" SM6

Good hot run and hydration strategy Tek

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OH just jumped off the bench, injury is 95% ok and I have been swimming everyday except Sunday's also I started aqua jogging for 30-40 minutes this is the second week of doing that after a swim and lots of walking. I had a session in the Oxygen therapy chamber where the pressure is increased and you breath pure oxygen for one hour. That has helped so much so that I ran for the first time yesterday. 4.5 miles on the trails my HR was a little high (Teknik image) but after the first mile I felt ok. Plan is to run every day increasing the distance up to 8-10 miles then start to do a few speed sessions at the same time still swim and aqua jog. I don't think it will take more than 3 weeks to be back into it image

Loads of reading back nice to see some others back and some great racing and training going onimage

• NP - Glad to hear the injury is clearing upimage The swimming will have kept you fit!image

NN - Nice tempo run today and a good 9 yesterday tooimage

OH - Hope you got out tonight, and good luck for Sundayimage Looks a tough route!

Ollie - Don't think I'd ever call 13 miles a recovery run!image Although I'm sure I jokingly title a 20 miler as a recovery run on strava, as it was the day after my 10k PB... There wasn't much recovery involved!

Tek - Well done on the club run, I doubt you'll get a sensible HR reading in this heat/humidity anyway. As you say, hopefully it'll be snowing in Frankfurt!image

------------

My ridiculous September race list looks like it's about to get a bit more ridiculous. I had forgot that there is a monthly track meet at the stadium in my town, can't do Augusts as it's next Wednesday and I'm racing Friday (and they aren't doing the event I fancy anyway) but I think I might give the 1500 a go the following month. Unfortunately it falls 3 days after a (jogged) marathon, and 4 days before a 10k which might be ran after a 15 mile warm up. 

• StewartCStewartC ✭✭✭

SM, are you planning on doing Stirling Marathon next year?

• Stewart - Probably not, it'll be London or Barcelona if I do a marathon next spring but I think I'm going to do an ultra in April. I will be through in Stirling to watch as I know quite a few people who are doing it. I'm lead to believe it's going to be a bit lumpy in places but can't picture all the roads to be honest. I think it finishes with 2 or 3 laps of the city centre, which would be mentally tough.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 looks like thats a full September/August. Like the sound of your doing London and Barcelona is a great marathon.

Swim 70x25m, 35 mins aqua jogging this morning this afternoon was Oxygen chamber and just short of 6 miles on the trails with Buddy.image I forgot what a buzz I get from running image

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Stuart sounds like your diary will be full!! Good training this week, 14 miles is longer than my long weekend run at the mo!! image 

Stewart sorry to hear about the injury - as NP says aqua jogging is great for injured runners. Simulates running better than anything else. Also looking at NP's post re oxygen; the hyperbaric chamber in Inverness takes injured runners!! image

Tek hope the weather improve for your running, it must be tough.  image One benefit of being in the chilly North.

Ollie great target for Abingdon image your angry running made me laugh! I know if I think about something that makes me cross when running I always end up running faster image no geese with me but last night there was a pine marten that looked quite fierce! 

NN only Frankfurt in the diary. Not many races up this way. I have entered Cairngorm Hill TT on the bike image Nice tempo running! 

Good luck for Fort Bill OH! 

NP great to see you're off the bench image Nice mix of training. I found aqua jogging so tough!

Hill reps for me yesterday morning - 20 times up a short hill. Went for a pedal at night with a couple of friends and my legs were so tired. This morning I decided to cycle up to Cairngorm ski car park - just from Aviemore so a short spin - but again the legs didn't want to play. An easy 45 minute run tonight. Rest day tomorrow image

F

• HM4HM4 ✭✭✭

Well done guys.

NP,

Good to hear you're on the road to recovery.

--------

Got out for 2 miles this evening and because it was on and off rain thought I'd go fairly fast and really surprised myself as I've not done any speed work.  The aim was to aim for 10 min miles but I ended up with 9:52 min miles, putting the pace in my tempo pace range.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Ollie nice angry faced 13m

OH hope you had a nice club run

NP glad you're on the mend - bet Buddy is enjoying the runs again now

Stuart LOL, nice planning !

Fiona well done on the hill reps and peddling, and nice easy 45 mins tonight.  Sounds like the legs have earned a day off

HM well done - good to see some speed coming back

---

9.8 tonight - 3.6m jog to Battersea Park, 5k club champs, then a painful jog home to the flat.  5k time came in at 20:25, so 12 seconds slower than PB.  I was a bit disappointed as it's a pancake flat course, and the rain had killed most of the heat. Splits were 6.22, 6.23 (sub 20 in sight) then my legs when to jelly for a 6:47 and no sprint finish. 

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Hello.

NN: Nice easy run yesterday, and tempo run today.
    OH: Good to hear about badminton, is your marathon on the Saturday or Sunday?  Enjoy your travels.
    NP: Good to see you back, up and running.
    SM6: Maybe not a recovery run, perhaps a chance to practise my facial expressions... image  Nice race list accumulating.
    Fiona: Nice hilly run, and pedalling, any particular races/targets in mind?  Will trade the geese for pine martens if you wish.
    HM4: Great going on the tempo run, always good to get some speedier running in.
    Teknik: Well done on the 5k, 12 seconds off a PB isn't bad at all though I know the feeling having missed out by 5 seconds today.

- - - - - - - - - -

6.1 miles including Sizzler #3 and it started with me falling off my bike, knocking my right knee a bit and getting some more cuts and grazes to add to my Sizzler Scar Compendium.

Ran the 5km in 17:27 for 56/442, I suppose my leg would be a valid excuse but an excuse non-the-less; I promise the next one will be without prior injury, inter-injury, prior racing.  So will see.

Unfortunately, my bike's brakes were so dodgy, and back reflector smashed, after the crash that I walked home, cycling for 2 miles on a flat trail away from traffic, so that was a not-so-nice 1:30-1:40-ish walk home with a cycling interlude.  Cleaned out my wounds, though leg still appears to be bleeding, hopefully heals up tomorrow, other than that it seems fine.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

NN oops sorry missed your post - well done on the easy 9 and the 8 with 5 tempo on tired legs

Ollie ouch, sorry to hear about the bike fall.  I can't get my head around coming 56th with 17:27 !! Jesus...image