sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• Good afternoon everyone,

Well it's just taken me a good 30 mins to catch up with all the goings on since I was last here, so a big welcome to all the new members.

Yesterday was a bad day legs felt so heavy that I decided to rest. Today I did a 7 miler on the treadmill followed by some upper body weight work, I feel Ok so tomorrow I intend to do another 7 miles on treadmill with a long run of 17 miles on Saturday around Orpington and up to the apply named Pratt’s Bottom & Badger’s Mount.

I think over the next couple of weeks I will do 3 7-mile run’s on my treadmill & 3 road runs including the dreaded weekly long run. This I hope will help the legs not get to tired, we’ll see.

The Chiropractor appointment was interesting he tells me my Pelvis is stuck in an off set position, he thinks it is causing the sore hamstring, but feels he can sort it out so I have my first treatment next week.

I weighed myself today and have lost 8lbs since Xmas, must be due to not drinking (booze that is).

CA

• This thread is scary. I nowhere near running 17 miles. I ran 13 last sunday.

Is anyone using Hal Higden's Intermediate I schedule? I am and interested to receive any feedback.

www.halhigdon.com
  • a typo or two in the above. apologies.
  • RRR- if you want scary have a look at the sub 3 hour thread.

I am sort of following the programme on the run log which came with last months RW, I just change some of the run's to suit myself.

Are any of you doing Watford next week? or have I asked that question before?

CA
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    I am the King of Run. I am he who is mighty! Yasso Runner Supreme! I rock!

Well the Yassos went well - every one of them under my target time of 4:00 mins. So that puts two fears to bed (1) I can do 10 (2) I can do them on the road as well as the tready.

I rule! Sub4 is mine! On the way back I was pondering finding a marathon sooner than London and just bashing out a sub4 for the hell of it so I can enjoy London.

Aren't endorphins lovely! Someone remind me of this when I wake up and can't walk tomorrow.

Higs
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    RRR - don't let what other people are doing scare you. There's lots of different plans and schedules on here. If you reckon you're on track by yours, you probably are. I didn't hit 18 last year 'til mid Feb.
  • Exactomundo Higs....each to their own.

Nice work re. the Yasso's - So are you going to try for a faster set? say 3:45's ?

I might attempt some soon.....or shall I stick further to my high mileage schedule?

Decisions decisions....
  • Wow what a busy thread welcome all new comers.
    I agree each to there own we are all different with different schedules if it suits you great!!!i like the long 20 mile runs but that is me!

Higs we did under 4 minutes actually 3.55 @10 and it felt great once they were over!!!you did fantastic.

Ca
    I was not scared by 3.30(I tend to lurk and post there) thread now the 2.45 thats scary!!

Percy
    I would if I was you sub one long run for track work and have someone to train with it really spurs you on to push to your limits!!;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Percy

Reps were:
    3:43
    3:34
    3:33 (slightly downhill)
    3:42
    3:47
    3:43
    4:01 (slightly uphill)
    3:49
    3:48
    3:59 (slightly uphill, lots of junctions etc)

so yes, I reckon consistent 3:45s are within reach. I'm not sure that'll translate to a 3:45 mara though. A few people have expressed caution over the 'predictability' of Yassos.

I'd definitely recommend them. If you're going to be doing some speed work in your schedule anyway it might as well be these. The only thing I'd say is that by the time you get up to 10reps (with a reasonable recovery) it is a long session. With warm up, cool down and stretching, I was out of the house for an hour and forty.
  • Oh higs mine were;-)

But all done on track with 2 minutes recovery in between and I was ill when doing them so all bodes well for this coming week....hopefully
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Excuse my ignorance but can someone explain or point me in the direction of more detail on Yassos??? That's a new one on me!

If it makes me run faster, I'll have a box full please :)

txs
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    WP

That's a pretty good set for an ill person. I'd like to have a go on the track but it tends to be the racing snakes who turn up on track night. One day I'll pluck up the courage to go an act as a movng obstacle for them!

Higs
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    RRR

(v short version) Bert Yasso, coach and writer for RW(US) came up with a training session which he reckons is a very good predictor for marathon finishing time. It's basically 10x800m reps with a decent recovery. Your target time for the reps in minutes is your target mara time in hours e.g. if you wanted to do a mara in 3hrs 50min, you'd aim to do your reps in 3min 50sec. I am going to do FLM in under 4 hours this time (so that I never have to do another and can be a normal human being again, running for fun, doing a bit of mountain biking and the odd half marathon) so my rep target is 4:00min. I've built these up week by week from 4 reps, all apart from tonight on the tready. Tonight I did 10 for the first time and on the road (measuring each rep with my Forerunner (GPS watch thingy))

This is the first year I've used them in my training so obviously I don't know if they work but it certainly felt like a productive session! Plenty of people swear by them, some people say they're a bit optimistic but I reckon if I can get to consistently doing 10 in 3:45, then a sub4 gotta be in the bag! That's my theory and I'm sticking with it right up to crossing the line in 3:59:59.

Higs
  • Higs, You have also answered my question, as I too didn't have a clue what Yassos were!
    As I am running my first ever marathon in 9 days, I am now easing off a little. One more long(ish) run on Sunday of 10 miles @ marathon pace (80 mins, I hope!) and that'll be me! Just a few gentle jogs after that.
    However I am aiming for a 'half-decent' time in the FLM so will start training again in mid-feb. These yassos sound good. I will definitely be trying them!
    Congrats on your results and Welsh Poppy too - both good running. No problem for that sub-4, I'm sure!
    Regards to you and all, Gareth

P.S Higs, Are you off to the cup match on Sunday? Let's hope they play better than last weekend!!!!!
  • 800m in 4 minutes?

Maybe one rep, if it's downhill with the wind behind me :-(

Tried pushing the pace tonight. I managed three miles at just over 10-minute-miling (which did involve testing my cardiorespiratory comfort zone) then my legs got bored and switched to tickover pace.

Ah, well. Twelve weeks to go. I will improve.
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Gareth

Shall be watching in the pub on Sunday. I'm on a bad run for tickets at the moment. Just got turned down for the Leeds game. Seems everyone wants to go and see them for one last time!

Higs
  • Higs,
    I will be watching on Sky which I'm lucky enough to have here! A few bottles on San Miguel will be close to hand!!!
    I will hopefully get to the Valencia - Real match next Wednesday,although no Beckham (Red card last night!!!).
    Ah, he just ain't the same guy now!!!!
    Enjoy your afternoon in the pub!!!
    Regards, Gareth
  • Just wanted to say thanks for all the encouragement in this thread for those of us who are injury-hit.
    I've just done my first big run after 2 weeks of foot problems and managed to do just under 8 miles in 63 minutes.
    I may not be able to walk tomorrow, but if my foot still doesn't hurt then I'll be over the moon!

Can we bottle the good vibes that this thread gives off and then pick them up at Mile 18? ;-)

• HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    have a vibe from me - I may need it back at mile 18!
  • Well done, Jones the Steam. Impressive time!

Are we related? Only, my son's forum name is Ivor the Engine.
  • Plenty quick JtS. Nice work.

Grrr, my midweek escapades have earned me a calf niggle so I might have to take another rest day or two....hey ho.

If I can do a 50 min 10k (not on track and after sick leave) then surely I can do Yasso's of 10 x 3:45 or maybe even better?
    I notice the recovery time used WP was 2 mins....a sensible alteration.

Question for you speed trainers:
    What other interval training do you suggest?

I'm partial to the long hill run and the higher HR tempo run but so far no intervals.

I noticed on my 20 miler that it was leg strength I was lacking. HR was well down. Presumably intervals will help this and/or hills?

If you're going to the London social tonight I'll see you there :-)
  • Mornig all,

I think I will give these Yasso's a go on the treadmill next week to see how they work for me.

Percy, sorry to hear about you niggle, don't push it though, have that rest day as I found out earlier this week if you think you need to rest then do so, you will come back quicker and stronger.

Percy- do you do any leg work i.e. lunges & squats, I found they have helped strengthen my legs, just do them once a week. You can do them with weights as you get used to doing them.

Going to see Mamma Mia tonight so will have a few beers for the first time since Xmas, long run tomorrow should be interesting.

CA
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all, still not had a run this week, but last night I went to the gym and swim, did 15 mins on step (found it a doddle and watched my beautiful young daughter struggle which made me feel good!) 15 mins on rotex (called the b*****d by daughter +friends) and after weights I swam 20 lengths!
    By this time the young 21 year olds were lagging!
    Sorry but I haven't run all week and it made me feel good!
    Restart sched monday (fingers crossed). Off to sports massage later and see what she says re ankle....
    Wonder if the girls will let me gym n swim again?????
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Eeek - what a busy lot you've all been - or rather what a lot of time you've spent on this group as well as being out there running!

I like a challenge so I'm off to do my first ever Yasso's this lunchtime.

Thanks for the training tip!
  • Ha Wabo, I sure we all know how you feel, injury can be a real pain (excuse the pun).

The swim & Gym is a good start.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Cheers CA, and I know its a bit sad getting off on being fitter than those youngsters but I did meet up with running club buddies after and had to endure them talking about what a good run they'd all had that night so hey ho!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Raptor & Percy,

Thanks for the good vibes. The legs are a bit rough today but the foot injury hasn't flared up so I'm on cloud 9 at the moment.
    It was *so* good to get out again.

Sorry to hear about the calf niggle Percy. Hope that it clears up quickly and that you're out and about soon. (Even with your injury you're still way ahead of me. 20 miles? I can only dream of such distances at the moment!)

Cheers.

P.S. Raptor - Nice to see another connoisseur of the classics!

P.P.S Yes I did have to use a dictionary to spell that ;-)
  • Thanks for the support guys - the calf niggle feels a bit better today, but I'm gonna give it at least one more day's rest.

CA - I'll give those lunges a go next week perhaps, thanks.

Wabo - Good luck with the ankle.

It interests me to see that some of us have plenty of pace and some the endurance and we're all looking for the complete package.

"Pace and Endurance" everybody - said in the style of Maximus in Gladiator (strength and honour) :-) <places right fist over heart>
  • Some of us have neither.

Yet.

Endurance will come. Pace...well, it can only get better.
  • That's my theory V-rap. Work on the endurance so you'll know you can handle the distance. Any pace improvements after that are a bonus and icing on the cake.