Going to apologise now for another newbie thread...

Been persuaded to give Tri a go. Currently training for a half marathon, up to 8 miles. There's a 'taster' tri next month which is (don't laugh) 200m swim, 5.3km bike and 2.5km run. Would it be totally ridiculous to enter or should I wait till next year and do some focused training? The swim is in a rowing lake so would need a wetsuit (I think?) but the bike leg is flat. What is the absolute necessity kit and what can I get away with? Tri suit/road bike etc etc? And on the day how do you know where and when to put all your kit and where you need to go etc etc?

Comments

I know what people are going to say, becks!

yes, you will probably need a wetsuit, and I would advise you to practice in it - I find swimming in a wetsuit feels very different to just normal swimming, you might find some places have sales on now

I wouldn't bother with a tri suit until you know you are going to use it more, or you could probably get a cheap one of the internet. Some lycra shorts and top would be fine (wear your sports bra for the swim, either with a tight top on top or put a running shirt on after the swim - but might be hard to get it on when you are wet)

on the day, there will be people around to tell you where to go, where to put things - there might even be a beginners/novice training day before the tri. For 5 miles it isn't necessary to have a road bike, and old bike will do, so long as it is safe

• Thanks mathschick- so the big question, is next month too soon...?
  • senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    If you need a wetsuit, and you may not on a 200M lake swim this time of year, the organisers should give you advice, but if you do then sometimes they can be hired.

Make some enquiries from your local Tri club, they may know if anyone hires them out, or, if you need to buy one, a good starter one might be

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/100-womens-wetsuit-black-pink-id_8180190.html

Under the wetsuit I'd go with Mathschick suggestions of lycra shorts and a top, or a swimsuit over your sporst bra such as

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/leony-cut-shorty-swimsuit-id_8361210.html

re the bike stage, any bike will do, but you must wear a helmet, which you must put on before touching the bike, them's the rules.

So, on the day, wetsuit on over run gear, swim, go to transit, take off wetsuit/goggles, put on shoes, helmet and get on bike, cycle off. Return after ride, park bike, take off helmet (easily forgotten,image ) and run.

If you get the bug it will all become clearer as you progress to road bikes, cleats and all the other stuff that complicates Tri, but just enjoy this one, which you will complete easily.

Good Luck
  • If you've had a few nice days of weather, you probably wouldn't need a wet suit. I did Castle Howard the other week and if memory serves me right the temp was 24 degrees so they were recommending not to wear wet suits, I was in the Gauntlet Wave (half iron) so myself and about 99% of the rest of the wave ignored this as we obviously were thinking 1.9km open water swim?, and no buoyancy assistance!! NO THANKS.

However, over 200m's if you're a really cautious new swimmer you're only in the water for 6 or 7 mins, if you're a good swimmer you'll be out before you've got wet image

• Fantastic thanks all. Found a swimming cossie and goggles and a working bike today so time to start practising. Not sure where I'm going to find the time around running all the time but I am determined!

Can I practise in a wetsuit in the local pool or is that a bit odd...?
  • Probably too warm in the pool Becks and some pools won't let you anyway!! 

• Hmmm that's true. May scout out open water swimming.

Last question (probably not but I'll try) do I need to buy a swimming hat?
  • You may also want to pop your head into the "training for a shorter tri" thread - they're a friendly bunch with loads of good advice image 

• If you have never swam OW before than you will (IMO) need a wetsuit ... you are better to hire at this stage, most OW venues these days will let you hire and try 

assuming that you are swimming already then you will have a swim hat but if not then yes, you need one and you will also need on to swim in your local pool

5k on the bike seems a bit disproportionate to me but you wont need a posh bike for that, keep a nice light gear and a high cadence

• Melds - if it's the one I'm thinking of, the bike distance is correct. Not looked at the race info, but I suspect it could be one loop around the perimeter of the rowing lake
  • wasn't insinuating it was wrong, more that it was a little disproportionate to the run .. 2 loops would have been better  ;-)

• That's the one Schmunkee! Noooo Meldy, one loop is quite enough for now thank youimage

Going to drag out the old exercise bike to get some practise and miles into the legs without getting run over. I have sourced a wetsuit, just a shorty one but hopefully shouldn't be too cold.

• I'd say just go and do it.  Then you'll have somewhere to go from for the winter!

I've raced at Dorney.  Warm water, windy busy bike and a flat run!

Runner, swimmer, cyclist and triathlete

Devoid of a competitive streak :)

Who cares, I'm in it for the medal!

• We were all newbies once, some of us still race like one  ;-)

• LollipopLollipop ✭✭✭

Hi Becks!  Of course you can do it.  Stop dithering and enter it, you can figure everything else out later! image

My first tri in May was 500m pool swim, 20km cycle, 5km run.  I learnt to swim after I entered, did the cycle on an old hybrid bike I had, and just bought a cheap Aldi trisuit (although I have to admit I bought a new one a couple of days before the race because the cheap one was horribly unflattering over my lumps and bumps and it turns out I'm more vain than I originally thought! - but it would have done the job just fine).  It was great fun and quite addictive.

My advice would be to get there early to figure everything out.  Ours had a mad amount of pre-race admin!  But just relax and enjoy it.  If you've never done one before then it will be a personal best no matter what your time is, so just have fun with the first - there'll be plenty more races to work on being fast.

• Thank you lollipop! Off swimming this evening so I will check back in...bought a cheap wetsuit off eBay and bike is sorted (whether I can ride it is a different matter).

Running is not a problem, actually looking forward to adapting the running heavy half training to a bit more cross training! 3xruns, 2x swims the ad lib exercise bike!