Low Carb (high fat) Pirates

Comments

• How long did it take for you to be fat adapted?  Did you cut carbs out gradually or all at once?  I think I've been pretty good for about a week, with just the odd blip here and there.  I take it sugar is a no-go area as well then?  I like fruit and can't imagine not having it in my diet. Just 2 weeks ago I was eating a bag of haribos and probably 1/2 packet of biscuits every day.  Hardly touched sweets, 1 biscuit in 2 weeks but have had a magnum lolly and I treat myself to a couple of squares of really good dark quality chocolate.  Not feeling as tired, but just wondering how long it will take to notice it in training?  Might try a longish run of around 12-13 miles next weekend (not this weekend) and see how it goes.

• On the subject of race fuel. On the bike I prefer liquid as it's far easier to absorb. I ormally use 100 kcal per hour but having just listened to my coaches debrief on IM Canada I an going to experiment with upping it during races. I use either rice bran syrup or palitanose(sp?). I do like the new 9bars but use them to just treat hunger rather than thinking of them as fuel. I ate 2 on the outlaw bike.

RTN, for me it was 4 weeks for initial adaption and after 12 weeks was able to run narathon distance fasted.
  • I found it took me about 6 weeks to notice it in training but I cut carbs from the start... I joined a few LCHF forums (not training based) to get ideas of what people are eating and I planned my meals and snacks. After the first few days I started to notice a difference in my general wellbeing and energy was in abundance. I too do allow myself a small treat now and then. A mini twister which is about 11g carbs but I generally work off of 50g a day..
  • Wow.  So you noticed the difference quite quickly then.  I thought you were going to say it took around 6 months to a year.  I might be doing this all wrong and looking at carbs in the form of bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc.  I forget sugar is also carbs, but have drastically cut down on the refined sugars.  Damn.

• Sugar and anything that will break down into sugars quickly image eg bread, pasta, white potatoes, rice, grains...

• But you got to remember too that protein gets broken down into glucose in the body so you need to keep the protein intake down to a moderate amount.. To start of with, i used 'my fitness pal' which helped me learn what I could and couldn't eat and if in doubt, eat more fat.
  • I have mine set at 25% at the mo, fat at 65% and carbs at 10% roughly.  MFP app is great.

• Adaption is a personal thing and some are quick others slow, 2 to 6 weeks is probably a good range for the initial getting used to it time, I was around 4 weeks.

I have been LCHF for 7months now but I think I am still adapting in terms of there is probably still improvement to come, however at Maff pace I could probably go for a long time without needing to fuel at all!

General diet, I don't measure anything but keep an eye on my weight being stable and JERF is a good Acronym, Just Eat Real Food! i.e. cut out processed stuff!

Carbs are sugar, bread pasta potatoes etc etc etc and look at labels cos anything in a packet probably has sugar or carbs or additives hence JERF!

• We started LCHF on Monday evening. By tonight we'd dropped 11lb between the two of us. I know this thing is fab but blimey!  

We're going through the carb flu thing at the moment though which is not so great. image

• Happychap,   keto flu sucks but salt and magnesium help.

• Happychap, don't get too excited I read somewhere that the early weight loss is mostly water. Most of the weight loss come from appetite suppression and as such reduced calorific intake over time.

I'm about 4/5 weeks in now and think I'm there or thereabouts on adaptation and have been averaging about 1kg per week loss.

RtN, bare in mind that fibre doesnt countimage, and another vote for my fitness pal, I run with 10% carbs, 20% protein and 70% fat targets at the moment.

I think I saw peanut butter fat bombs mentioned further up. I wouldn't mind knowing the recipe, I've only got chocolate/coconut frozen treats in my book at the moment.

• CF- I mentioned them all it was was coconut oil (from waitrose it had the taste and smell removed), unsweetened peanut butter and xylotol. All measured to taste and put in the fridge..
  • Just downloaded MFP.  Set mine at 10% carbs, 65% fat and 25% protein.  Just input my decaf skinny latte and that's used up all of my carbs for the day.  Damn.  Obviously doing it all wrong as I wouldn't have thought there was any in that!  Oh well, need to be more strict.  Feeling better for not having so many carbs (rice, pasta, bread) and processed food in my diet and I've only been doing this for just over a week.  Will keep at it, as I think my training will benefit from this eventually.  I know it could take a few weeks, but I was expecting months.  Now I've downloaded the app, perhaps I can do this properly.  Can you set alerts on it, to say when you've reached your carb intake for the day etc?

• All I do is after I ate something and logged it, I would check my macros to see how much of my daily allowance I had left. For me it isn't that important as i don't need to lose any weight so I am not as strict. Im heading out for a 28ish mile run this morning but completely fasted so that will be interesting...
  • What did you have in your latte??? But to be fair most mornings I have coffee with almond milk in a wee thermos for on the train - not many carbs in that!  Have an americano - just coffee and a wee bit of milk image

• I sometimes have an Americano but with cream instead of milk
  • Yeah, I'm going down the white americano route from now on.  Didn't have anything else in the skinny latte!  I don't need to lose weight, but would be good to do endurance events without having to carry around as much food/snacks d to supply you with energy.  Obviously will have to carry some, but what I took with me for The Outlaw was ridiculous.  Ended up not eating much at all though, as I had bad stomach cramps an hour into the bike!  Thanks for all your advice.  Really helpful.  I will report back with my progress and use MFP to help me stay on track.

• What are people taking for lunch to work, especially without anywhere to heat food up. Just a case of taking previous evening meal left overs?

• Usually half an avocado, some form of meat/sausage (Im partial to a paleo scotch egg), sometimes cheese and some baby plum tomatoes or cucumber or bell peppers.  I usually have brazil nuts to graze on in my desk if i do feel hungry.  Sometimes I have greek yoghurt too.

• Afternoon all, just caught up on all the chat from the last couple of weeks.

Loving the Full FAT Pirates team image  Woo hooo!  I'm doing the run in a relay, but i'll not be trying to match your time Iainimage

So I have to admit that the last two weeks have been a bit of a carb fest!  Last week I was camping in Scotland and had lots of scones.  I also was pretty active though, so when I weighed myself on my return I'd only put on 0.8lb.  Weight loss total still sitting at 1st 2.2lb overall so happy with that.  This week I've had PMT and I've been eating carbs to keep my sanity.  However, back on LCHF from tomorrow.  I think PMT week might always be tricky for me, but i'll see how it goes.

Good to see everyone doing well though image

• Another vote for Americano with full fat cream, and I've adapted to black tea now too. 

I really don't like being a slave to writing stuff down so I'm hoping that avoiding all refined carbrohydrates and potates, reducing fruit intake (sticking to berries) and eating 'normal food' will be sufficient?

• Iain Love wrote (see)
    CF- I mentioned them all it was was coconut oil (from waitrose it had the taste and smell removed), unsweetened peanut butter and xylotol. All measured to taste and put in the fridge..

Ta, might give that a go. Didn't know you could get coconut oil without taste.

• If its not got the taste or smell its probably been chemically extracted and therefore not great for you? Cold pressed virgin is best as it has had the least "Processing" 

Aldi is the cheapest I have found so far!

• I must say when I use coconut oil for cooking I don't think it makes the food taste coconut-y?  Or maybe i'm just used to it now?  Goos shout for Aldi though, I'll try there!  It is pricey which is the only downside.

Funnily enough though, I sometimes buy breakfast at work (you can get a all elements of a cooked breakfast there) but i'm going off it because I think they must use vegetable oil to cook everything and I can taste the difference now and it's horrible.  I tend to go for poached eggs, even though I often fancy a fried one.  Moral of the story - get up earlier and cook brekkie at home.  Much nicer.

• Loving the full FAT pirates as a team name - No pressure Iain

Someone was asking about lunch. I sometimes spiralize a courgette and have it with tuna and mayonnaise. Very simple and quick to make. 

I did a fasted 15mile run on Friday. Was a little nervous to go so far but took some water and a naked bar with me. Didn't eat the bar - not sure if I'd have been able to, but didn't really know what else to take. My legs were aching but I think I was ok. Bit longer this week

Happy chap - yay, you're back on track. You know what to do. You'll be fine. And well done both of you on a great start.

I've had the munchies today. Can't stop eating. Its all been low carb but definitely too much. Haven't even exercisedimage

• SS are you eating enough fat? I have brazil nuts in the office draw - I like the 99p brie from Aldi as well image

• Well I think so

breakfast - Greek yoghurt, couple tbls extra thick cream and a good portion of my own granola.

lunch - half avocado. Scrambled egg with 2 eggs cooked in butter 1 piece ham, handful mozzarella and some green pepper

Dinner- chicken fillets cooked with various spices, spinach, yoghurt and extra thick cream with broccoli and asparagus with butter on top. 

Snacks - 2 squares 90% choco. 1 pecan fat bomb and more yoghurt and granola

• I've been pretty lenient lately and been allowing myself upto about 100g of carbs a day but I need to reign it in a bit.. I know going back below 50g shouldn't be too hard.

I found a mini brie with a hint of chilli which was absolutely amazing. Ate the whole thing in one go..

Training has been a little sporadic but that to needs to tightened up since its only 6 weeks till my ultra.. :-

Ss - no pressure at all.. I think it's quite a strong team so will be an interesting event.
  • Iain, I'm in a similar position myself. Missed most of my sessions for the last 6 weeks with IM Wales in about 4. Currently in Tenby trying to get back some fitness and enjoy a family camping holiday. I reckon I can re-adapt in the time between end of holiday and race day though.