Olympics

Comments

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭

Mirror coverage was bad.

Tom Daley's brief encounter had a happy ending...

...more experienced athletes have often been less stout of heart and firm of rectum.

...handsome vindication of his decision to renew his love affair with the top board...

• Watched the dressage the other day for the first time. How is that in the olympics! Biggest load of crap I've seen in a long time. My 5 year old niece ask if dressage is when they dress the horses up, and to be honest that would make better viewing, watching a horse that's dressed like mr t Would be a better way of spending my time. 

• Cheeky gold in the canoe slalom image

• Just in case anyone's asleep right now or was doing anything else try and make sure you don't hear to much about this but find the GB v Argentina match and watch it from the start. It's mental if you do rugby you can't even tell it's a 7's match for much of it. F*ck me that was good. image

• image The rugby 7s overall have been fab.  Lots of new names (and teams) and some very unexpected results.   

• As someone who rides horses, I can assure you that dressage is very very difficult.  It takes a lot of skill and years of training to get a horse to be able to move like that.  It's basically a test of the horse's athletic ability, but the rider has a massive input - it's team work essentially.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, and its not really mine, but I can appreciate the amount of work and effort that goes into it.

On another note, why do the beach volleyball women have to wear such skimpy outfits but the men cover up in baggy shorts and vests?????  Surely, it would be more efficient and easier for the guys to move in skimpy trunks, a little bit like the ladies pants.....I'm absolutely certain that the uniform makers are in no way exploiting the sexuality of the female athletes purely for the spectators and am sure this is totally not a sexist thing to dress the girls up really sexy, but to put the boys in baggy stuff......... image  Surely the boys should want to show off their six packs too?!?!?!?!?!  Just sayin.................

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Ballet is very, very difficult, takes a lot of skill and years of training, is a test of the dancers' athletic ability and involves team work but it's certainly not an Olympic sport. The same could be said for an awful lot of activities

• So maybe the ballerinas should stop crying about it and lobby to have it added to the list of Olympic sports......... imageimage

• HA77 wrote (see)

Ballet is very, very difficult, takes a lot of skill and years of training, is a test of the dancers' athletic ability and involves team work but it's certainly not an Olympic sport. The same could be said for an awful lot of activities

Beth Roberts wrote (see)

So maybe the ballerinas should stop crying about it and lobby to have it added to the list of Olympic sports......... imageimage

I think you may want to look up the Gymnastics and in particularly floor and rhythmic.

• horseriding is as worthy of an olympic sport as most of the sports there.....

some great competition going on

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Beth, I'm with you on the Beach Volleyball - diving shorts would give much more freedom of movement.

However, if the divers get a little excited when they do a good dive, or win a medal, they can jump into a cold pool.  Not so the beach volleyballers, who may show off more than intended...............image

• HA77 wrote (see)

Given that ice skating is basically ballet and is also an Olympic sport I'd say that probably wasn't the best analogy.

• Men's Team Sprint was ace - thought the Kiwi's had it but GB sneaked the gold, woohoo!!!.

Beth Roberts wrote (see)

On another note, why do the beach volleyball women have to wear such skimpy outfits but the men cover up in baggy shorts and vests?????  Surely, it would be more efficient and easier for the guys to move in skimpy trunks, a little bit like the ladies pants.....I'm absolutely certain that the uniform makers are in no way exploiting the sexuality of the female athletes purely for the spectators and am sure this is totally not a sexist thing to dress the girls up really sexy, but to put the boys in baggy stuff......... image  Surely the boys should want to show off their six packs too?!?!?!?!?!  Just sayin.................

The women are no longer required to wear tiny bikinis - they can wear as much or as little as they wish (the size of their kit used to be mandated, but isn't any more) - they just choose to keep the skimpy stuff... but there were two women's teams in full length leggings and bra tops today. Agree with you on the boys showing off their packages... errmm... I mean six packs... though! image

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Beth, it takes years of a abusing horses to get dressage looking so seamless.

Also volleyball doesn't need skimpy outfits. Nudity would be better, regardless of sex.
  • image VDOT... the opportunity for sand ingress is potentially eye-watering though!

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

So ballet is the same as figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics? Jeez, I'm no expert but some people .......

Track cycling was good last night. Seemed to be mainly GB, Aus and NZ up there with a few others thrown in.

• Shame that in most of the cycling events, but most obviously the team pursuit, the costs of putting a team together and sorting out those 'marginal gains' that the GB team has done for years means we only get to see 9 teams start out

• I suppose they could have a week of Syrian refugees on bikes versus Congalese riders but at the end of the day it will be the Germans v Australia v USA v New Zealand etc...

• HA77 wrote (see)

So ballet is the same as figure skating and rhythmic gymnastics? Jeez, I'm no expert but some people .......

Similar enough.

Ballet could just as easily have a set number of moves you have to perform with points awarded for execution, just like rhythmic gymnastics or figure skating - either that or you don't believe any of them are sports which would be a fairer point to make.

Principal ballet dancers have to be fitter than either gymnasts or skaters, incidentally.

• The cycling last night was immense!!  Way to go team GB.

The gymnastics has equally been superb and so impressive - it's just sensational to watch.

VDOT - yes I agree that there is abuse in the horse world.  You may not know that there is a lot of work being undertaken by independent groups to eradicate this completely.  However, not everyone trains their horse abusively.  And, before you troll me on here (as you seem to be fond of doing to others), no I don't agree with training by cruelty.  I have done some work with a horse whisperer and the results you get from kindness and love far outweigh those you get with force and cruelty.

• It's going to be a belting highlights show tonight...

now if only some of the magic would rub off on the cricketers.

• I haven't so far commented on dressage since I haven't seen it so thought better not to comment.

Saw it tonight. 

Fuck me, they will have crufts in the olympics next. Poor horses, sick bastards. 

• F*kin' awesome men's team pursuit final - it was a scream at the TV moment... talk about nerve-racking!!!

Great, unexpected silver in the women's trampolining as well.

Screamapillar wrote (see)

Principal ballet dancers have to be fitter than either gymnasts or skaters, incidentally.

^^ You are so right, Screamapillar - but so few people are prepared to admit it.

• I'm enjoying the handball, which I view on iplayer, never watched it before but its fast moving and intriguing. There's no British interest, but I'm not a flag waving patriot so I don't care.

Rugby sevens has been really good, much better than the 15 a side game, having all that space on the pitch makes a more open game.
  • RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Shame we have to have the main BBC coverage heavily overlaid with chat from Jackson and co.

Seems missing actual events is a price worth paying for their drivel.

Denise Lewis I find a total irritant. It must be that voice of hers (so sincere) or more likely the stupid hair styles she subjects the viewers to.

I might be wrong but she doesn't strike me as someone who bothers with athletics much beyond picking up the pundits cheque.

🙂

• I was quite impressed with the 'couple of people Tom Daley knows' winning gold in the swamp diving.

And tonights Brit special in the heptathlon of Jessica Ennis and the other one, who isn't Jessica Ennis, should be pretty good viewing.

• Anyone else been watching the weight lifting on the red button?

It's been really gripping and the expert commentators are excellent - especially the woman (Maxine someone - apologies to her, I can't remember her name). They could teach the main BBC hosts a thing or two about eliminated the drivel mentioned by Ric - about which I agree BTW - very knowledgeable, good clear explanations and no superfluous chit chat.

• Clare Balding does have a habit of getting the facts wrong. The day of events, the colour of a medal, the name of an athlete. Bad presenting and with no expertise in an olympic sport you wonder what exactly she brings to the table.

We were saying that Chappers was a good presenter. Not an expert but he does his research, has a bit of charm and nice bit of humour. 

Have to say, I enjoyed the last set of the Murray game. More tennis than I've watched in a long time.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Looks like Veronica Brown of Jamaica still hasn't got around to going to specsavers.

For the second time she's come belting around the bend in the 200m and felt like having a run in the lane next to her's.

🙂