Olympics

Comments

• Philomena Cunk wrote (see)

Clare Balding does have a habit of getting the facts wrong. The day of events, the colour of a medal, the name of an athlete. Bad presenting and with no expertise in an olympic sport you wonder what exactly she brings to the table.

We were saying that Chappers was a good presenter. Not an expert but he does his research, has a bit of charm and nice bit of humour. 

Have to say, I enjoyed the last set of the Murray game. More tennis than I've watched in a long time.

As one of the main presenters  I doubt she has, or is required to have, an  encyclopaedic knowledge of all the sports and relies on information coming through her earpiece much of the time.

• I've seen some of the cycling and it's been very good. But what's the deal with the bloke on the moped? I think his name is Kieran, and for some reason the cyclists have to follow him round the track for 5 or 6 laps before they're allowed to race. Seemed a bit weird.

The Men's 10K was fantastic, go and watch it right now if you haven't seen it yet.

I haven't so far commented on dressage since I haven't seen it so thought better not to comment.

Saw it tonight. 

Fuck me, they will have crufts in the olympics next. Poor horses, sick bastards. 

You say it is cruel to train a horse..but when someone trained a dog to do moves it gets voted top act in a talent show without a single mention of cruelty.....

if you want cruelty look at the chinese child sportsman programme

• No, crufts is horrible too. Hence my analogy. But the Olympics is about humn achievement and shouldn't be about training animals. 

Saw the gold medal on the news. Was anybody in those seats at all? 

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

I think on the whole the BBC coverage has been outstanding - Clare Balding and Gabby I think are good presenters backed up by some knowledgeable and jovial commentators. Chris Hoy has surprised me too, he comes across very well.
    Loving the diving and gymnastics commentators too.

On a separate note is it just me that secretly hoped Cav wouldn't win a medal and then see who he would blame? He gave it a good go though getting DQ'd in the elimination race and causing a crash in the points.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

I don't know the rules of track cycling but that crash last night looked very much like Cavendish's fault yet there was no DQ or penalty. It looked like he had seen the Korean guy but swerved towards him anyway.

• CC82CC82 ✭✭✭

I couldn't believe there was no penalty for Cav after that crash.  I'm also no huge cycling fan, only ever seem to watch it once every 4 years...

My office mate though is a cyclist and huge cycling fan.  His words this morning:  "Cavendish should have got disqualified."

Was the guy that got stretchered off okay?  No fucks given about him once Cav secured the silver medal.

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Not seen a whole lot mentioned about Stefan Henze on the BBC.
    Ok so he's a German, but still a sad loss for their team.

• It did look pretty damning but unless you are very knowledgable of track cycling you don't really have a clue. 

It did look pretty damning but unless you are very knowledgable of track cycling you don't really have a clue. 

Pretty much covers it

• popsiderpopsider ✭✭✭

Racing incident, it was mostly his fault but the Korean wasn't blameless putting himself in that position drifting up the track whilst looking the other way.   I think Cav just assumed the Korean would follow up behind him rather than overlapping like that. So yes Cav was at fault but not worthy of a DQ as it wasn't an aggressive move just a mistake.   

• http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/eat-athlete-mo-farah

Silly me - I thought Mo Farah ate copious amounts of Quorn without which he would just be a mid pack runner.

• how on earth could he train all those hours on that few calories a day.....doesnt seem enough to keep a normal person

• How can you tell how many colories he has?

• I'm a bit dissapointed since I swapped my long run for a plate of quorn. I've also stopped a cycle session for shampooing with Alpecin.

• some frosties for breakfast.then both his other meals grilled chicken pasta and vegetables.......to fuel hours of training each day...thats a hell of a lot of pasta and chicken needed

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Maybe he has a whole box of Frosties in the morning. 

When asked about super food/juice/meals I was worried he has going to mention Alberto's special juice. 

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Just watching womens 800M heats; I know its an old chestnut, but looking at Semanya and Wambuii, it does seem a bit unfair on the other runners to race against what look like, from a distance, much larger men.

I realise that close up there may be no physical differences re stuff like external or even internal attributes, but I wonder if that is enough of a way to define gender?

Obviously some athletes are born different and thats just the way it is (hence Usain Bolt looks like he's in a childrens race and he's the only adult), so there's nothing really fair, you can only do as well as you can with what your given.

But Hyperandrogenism seems to be blurring the issue a bit too much, are they really female? or how do you define feminity, is it just by genitalia or is it at cellular level?

interesting article at

http://sportsscientists.com/2016/05/hyperandrogenism-women-vs-women-vs-men-sport-qa-joanna-harper/

I really don't know, but it does look so odd.
  • difference between laura trott and some of the other women is similar...

You say Bolt was born different...but then so was Semanya...bigger / stronger than the average girl

I agree that it must be difficult to decide in some cases...

• There's a bit more the the born different with Semanya though isn't there?

Not fully versed on the biology of it but doesn't her body produce a ridiculous amount of testosterone in it for a woman? seem to remember she was invited to take something which forced the level to be lower and her results changed massively downwards as a result.

Not sure how you fix it, but it's going to always be either hugely unfair on her or on her opponents.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

My wife was digging about in the New Zealand Herald and found this item from the Olympic pole vault.

/members/images/493151/Gallery/dick.jpg

I've no idea what she finds so amusing.

🙂

• DustinDustin ✭✭✭

BMX - seriously?
    You're grown ups, if you must ride a bike, ride a proper one.

• ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

BMX is fookin' awesome, but I'm not sure what's happened to the GB wimminz this year. image

How Liam Phillips can throw himself around a course like that weeks after breaking his collarbone is just mental - let alone the Aussie chap whose body keeps rejecting the metal plate in his....image

The poor Latvian! That must have needed an elastoplast and some savlon at some point.

Can't wait for the mountain biking this weekend, too. I didn't think I'd get into the Games at all this year, but I have been glued to my screen.

As for the Hyperandrogenism/Male/Female issue - even genetic screening isn't going to help in a few of cases. We ain't a completely binary in our chromosomes as a species - we're not all XX vs XY - so we would have to come up with an arbitrary threshold for levels of gene transcription for those who are blessed with the ability to synthesise (or use) greater amounts of androgens than others.

Would this be ethically OK? Should we introduce new 'gender categories'?

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    Zouse wrote (see)

Would this be ethically OK? Should we introduce new 'gender categories'?

just scrap them. true equality.

• ZouseZouse ✭✭✭
    skotty wrote (see)

just scrap them. true equality.

Totally agree. Everybody should wear the same kit, too. It'll give the male gymnasts the opportunity to wear sequinned leotards and demonstrate their prowess on the floor with their twirly ribbons.

It would make things far more straightforward, even if it means most of the events being dominated by those carrying Y chromosomes.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Having been pretty impressed with the BBC coverage on the whole, I'm totally disgusted with them today.

Apparently Mo Farah is running in the 5,000 metres today (early tomorrow our time).  I've searched and searched but no mention since Thursday of Andrew Butchart, who actually qualified faster than Mo (ok, I know it's more of a tactical race than a sprint, so time isn't always a factor, but even so).

Maybe he's not British yet because he hasn't won anything.

*removes deep fried Mars Bar chip from shoulder*

• Just found this and regardless of where she finish's it's worth thinking about. 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-37131993

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Nessie, he's down as a starter on the rio2016 website.  It's on at 1.30am.

• coverage is always a bit suspect.... image

Its been a good game overall.every 4 years we have all gloom and ddom before the event......toilets not plumbed in... air involution... water pollution.. strikes on tubes......

but in the end it always works out well