Pain in calves

Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. I recently started training for a half marathon that I'll be doing in October. I've never done anything like this before, but I'm raising money for DementiaUK and I was advised by a friend who is a runner that I had plenty of time to be able to run the half marathon if I put the hours in. The first month of my training has gone really well, then two weeks ago I got new running trainers AND went longer than I ever have before. Since then I can barely do a mile without my calves giving me very sharp pains, mainly in my right one. It's hard to rest them as I'm a hairdresser so I stand up all day for work - is there anyone who can give me advice for what this might be and how I can carry on training safely? I'm getting more and more conscious time is ticking away and I've lost two weeks of valuable training hours. Thank you!

Comments

• Self-massage those calves. Get a bit of oil (coconut oil for cooking will do, also baby oil - anything that smells okay to you!) and massage your calves, using both hands on each calf and making sure to get both parts of gastrocnemium (the larger, outer calf muscles) and soleus (smaller and deeper, a bit lower, in the centre of the back of your calf. Massage at least twice a day. Go back to using your old shoes. If you haven't taken several days off running, do that. Note that it's better to rest now, sort the calves out, possibly get behind on your training and use a run-walk strategy if necessary for the half marathon than to try to push on now, cripple yourself, and not be able to run in October at all. Good luck!

• As well as Debra's advice re. self-massaging, I would get off-road for some of your runs if you can - if you get on soft, short grass it will reduce the impact on your muscles.

Did you get your gait tested when you got your new trainers or any advice on what trainers would be suited for you?

• Happened to me on the run up to Berlin marathon in 2013, couldn't run over 10 miles pain free sports therapist said it was my new shoes so went back to Adidas and have been fine since. Going back to Berlin to give it a proper run this year

• CaptainCaptain ✭✭✭

Could be the change in shoes, but failry likely a combination of new shoes/more intense training/not enough recovery. All of these I bet, have conspired to work against you. 

I have more or less the same problem. Again, I have a job where I can be on my feet or traipsing round for ages. That, plus the running ain't do me any favours.

Do let us know how you get on.

• CaptainCaptain ✭✭✭

Further to that, try a good pair of compression socks. I swear by 'em. And invest in a foam roller.

You will get there!

• Thank you all for the responses! I've tested for the past week and my calves feel a LOT better! Will be starting up again tomorrow and go back to my old shoes I think!