Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• NodsterNodster ✭✭✭

Yep, I'm up for the BCRC Two Oceans trip in 2018. It's Comrades I'm toying with for 2017.

I was originally looking at doing both in 2018, but think next year for Comrades might work better ..... as you say, assuming we survive in April.

That'd be good if you could keep me posted for Comrades '17. Thanks Dannirr.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

I'm up for a safari. It's the run preceding it that scares the bejesus out of me.

That and I want to visit Cape Town and dive with sharks.

• DannirrDannirr ✭✭✭

Eggy - you'll see plenty of Cape Town at Two Oceans!  

• Unfortunately, I am not able to run such races as MdS or Comrades because I have cronical high blood pressure.

What I was able to run was the Erzberg race. It was very hot and due to the new racecourse it was longer and 300ft more elevation. I gave all I had and finished in 1:40:43, Pace 8:05/km.
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Franz - Well done!

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Good stuff Franz! Always tough to be racing this time of year in the heat... 

I'm still managing to stick to my latest plan and even doing the long run miles, though it hasn't gotten to the challenging numbers quite yet. If I can keep chipping away Dannirr, I may well be in shape for the Two Oceans cutoff by 2018. You never know! 

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Aug 27: Enigma Marathon - Nodster.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday. Maidenhead Half - iantcox. Kenilworth Half Marathon - Jellybum.
    Sep 10: Half Ironman - The Vitruvian - Magna Carter.
    Sep 11: Great North Run - Andy W, Christopher Field, Hales HayleyB, Hari2, Kirsten B. Surrey Bacchus Marathon - Benign Murmurring, Nells, Nodster, Betzza. Wirral Half - Orbutt.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 17: Trail Maniak Challenge (www.trail-maniak.com) - Franz Wanzenboeck
    Sep 18: Richmond Half Marathon - baldstan. Coyote Marathon - LeggyMountbatten, Nodster. Worcester City 10K - Tired legs. Porto Half - Running Rodent.
    Sept 25: Berlin Marathon - Mister Mike. Ealing Half - iantcox. Robin Hood Marathon - Nodster. Cheltenham Half - Christopher Field. Bristol Half - yer maj. Loch Ness Marathon - andrewr123.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Sept 27: www.viennanightrun.at - Franz Wanzenboeck
    Oct 2: Chester Marathon - Andy W, Meadower. Lyon Half - Running Rodent. Cardiff Half - The Jimbob, Nells. Great Scottish Run - Eggyh73. Lisbon Marathon - agentpenguin.
    Oct 6: Onetit's birthday.
    Oct 9: Yorkshire Marathon - Karen Bowman 2, iantcox, Loubella. Great Eastern Run Half - Magna Carter. Oxford Half - kenno. Royal Parks Half - agentpenguin, Nells. Seco Alcester 10k - Christopher Field.
    Oct 16: Amsterdam Marathon - Christopher Field. Cabbage Patch 10 - Nells. Manchester Half - Kirsten B.
    Oct 22: Festungstrail (Salzburg Trailrunning Festival) - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Oct 23: Abingdon marathon - yer maj.
    Oct 29: Beachy Head Marathon - baldstan.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday. Marine Corps Marathon - Nodster.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday. New York Marathon - The Jimbob, Nodster, Slinkyminky. Men's 10k Edinburgh - KennyM.
    Nov 12: Autumn Shakespeare 10k - Christopher Field.
    Nov 13: Lytham windmill 10k - Kirsten B. Marathon Nice-Cannes - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Nov 19: Birmingham 10k Mo run - Christopher Field.
    Nov 20: Phoenix Winter Marathon - Nodster. Valencia Marathon - Nells.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 26: Saxon Shore Saturday - Nodster. Chasewater xmas pudding dash 10k - Christopher Field.
    Nov 27: Saxon Shore Sunday - Nodster. Florence Marathon - Tired legs.
    Dec 11: Telford 10k - Christopher Field, Tired legs.
    Dec 18: Portsmouth Coastal Waterside - Nodster, Loubella.

Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 7: Polar Night Half Marathon - LloydR
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 19: Hampton Court Half - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Feb 26: Brighton Half Marathon - baldstan.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 12: Bath half - Christopher Field.
    Mar 19: Reading Half - The Jimbob. Alloa Half - KennyM.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 2: Manchester Marathon - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2, Christopher Field.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.
    Apr 9: Paris Marathon
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday. London Marathon - The Jimbob, agentpenguin. Hamburg Marathon - KennyM.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    Apr 26: Nells' birthday.
    May 14: Leeds Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: TBO2's birthday.
    May 27: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster.
    May 28: Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon - Andy-W-, Orbutt. Liverpool Rock n Roll Half - Christopher Field.
    May 29: Vitality 10,000 - The Jimbob, Nells.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 23: Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 9: Leeds 10k - Andy-W-.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.

• kennokenno ✭✭✭

Afternoon all.  I've been on my holibobs for 2 weeks.  I went to the physio the day before and have been told I have very tight hamstrings that is pulling hard where my Achilles attaches to my ankle.  So I have a lot of stretching to do.  It's very frustrating image

• Hello everyone!

I'm a total newbie here - hoping to run Paris next year as my first marathon! (yikes). Been off running since March 2015 and now the happy mum of a 7mo little boy! Keen to get fit again but aware I'm going to have to pretty much start at square one... I'm moving house in Sept and planning on joining a local running club to get me back into shape. A friend recommended the Paris marathon - I'm not competitive, just want to do myself proud and run my first marathon in a beautiful city! I also studied French at uni so that's also a plus (and the croissants, obviously...)

Any tips or advice?!

Thanks X
  • NodsterNodster ✭✭✭

Welcome Bexi, you've made a great choice with Paris and coming here image

You've got loads going on by the sound of it. Joining a club sounds good, and starting a plan next month will certainly give you enough time to prepare for Paris.

Your friend has good taste, Paris is an amazing place to run a marathon, it's probably still my favourite.

As for tips and advice, the best I can give is stay in here, these guys are the best. Any questions you have, you'll find the answer here ..... not always running related ! image

Good luck x

• Welcome Bexi!

Congratulations for your decision to run in Paris.

My advice - if you want a public place then September is the last Chance.

Do not Start training too fast, take it easy during the first weeks. Maybe there is a coach in the running Club who can Write you a training plan!

All the best from Austria, be careful and take it easy!
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭
    Welcome Bexi. And congratulations on your little one.

This is a lovely place to hang out. You'll get tons of good advice here.
  • Thanks everyone! Feeling motivated already with all of your kind words, thank you! Xx
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Bexi22 - Welcome to the thread!

I'd imagine after moving house with a young child that running a marathon will be a breeze.

• Hi Bexi - good choice, just be prepared to keep coming back year after year image . If you look at the first couple of pages of this thread there's lots of practical advice. Anything else, just shout - someone here will know.
  • Hi Bexi - the second registration wave for public places will open on September 6, 8am. 21.000 places have already been sold in the first wave in April (one of these is mine image). Tarifs will start at EUR 90 and go up to EUR 115.

If anyone looks for public places - do not wait too long!

• Welcome Bexi image

This is a great place to hangout! Wipes off dust and cobwebs!! ...It's been a while! 

A friendlier bunch would be hard to find, don't be scared to ask anything no matter how trivial it may seem were all here to help! 

• In fact the more trivial the better. We like random stuff here image .
  • RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if you need a medical certificate for the breakfast run on the Saturday. I've signed up for the marathon but was going to do the breakfast run with the better half on Saturday morning. I can't find any mention of needing a medical cert for it.

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hi Bexi!

Welcome to the thread and many congrats on the bundle of joy! 

Good luck with the move, and hope it all goes smoothly for you. Once you've ticked that off, it's just running a marathon left on your list of Very Difficult Challenges for this year I suppose image

As has already been mentioned, this is a lovely friendly place and with quite a few Paris veterans hanging around here so there isn't a questions that can't be answered. 

• Hi RoddyMac, no med cert required for breakfast run image

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hi RoddyMac

I was the same situation as you - although we didn't actually get to do it (long story) - as I and my other half were signed up for Breakfast Run last year and only I had the Med Cert, so it seems yo don't need it for this one.

• RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭

Thanks for the info

• Hi Roddymac. As others have said, no medcert needed for the breakfast run - there's also a Paris parkrun now if that kind of thing floats your boat.
  • RoddyMacRoddyMac ✭✭✭

We were in Paris for a long weekend in March this year and done the parkrun then. We brought them some Scottish weather it was the first snow they had had all winter  image

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭
    RoddyMac - The breakfast run is a nice route to run to loosen the legs up. Finishes at the Eiffel Tower and there's coffee and pastries at the finish.
  • OrbuttOrbutt ✭✭✭

Welcome Bexi

Paris was my first marathon, having failed to get a place in the London ballot. 

Its a great race with good support and a really beautiful city. 

If I could give you any advice it would be to use this forum. The people on here are incredibly supportive and knowledgable  will keep you going when you are having a low point and cheer you on when you have a high point. They are also great drinking buddies for post race celebrations.

Dont ever worry about asking a question, even if it feels stupid - it won't be. 

Its a bit quiet in here at the moment, as we are so far out from the event and the 2nd wave of places haven't been released yet. However, it will get a lot busier and then the fun really begins. 

• Hi and welcome Bexi. Paris is so good in so many ways. 

• Hi all,

after two hard weeks my coach scheduled next week a recovery one with just three runs:

- 1:00 tempo change four times 5/10 min moderate/medium

- 1:15 moderate plus 0:15 Medium

- 12k test run with 5:30/k constant speed

I am really looking forward because I am a bit exhausted.

All the best and keep on!