i'll make the mistakes so you don't have to

I've just started blogging ( www.naomi2elizabeth.wordpress.com) Writing mainly about my progress as I start training for triathlons longer than a sprint including things like what I eat when I train with recipes, details of overcoming my injuries, things that helped/ things that didn't and just generally reflecting on things that go well with my training and things that go badly, hence the title of the post... Hahaha Anyway I'm looking for tips as I venture into the world of blogging and if you want to give it a read whilst you're at it that would be amazing!!

Comments

• Suggestion...you need to write in a more interesting style if you want people to read your blog...what you wrote above just states the same old stuff every blog does..it's been done before countless times...you need to make it interesting or funny or different in some way..

• If you want a list of mistakes I'd go and read IronHolgs blogimage 

• MuttleyMuttley ✭✭✭

The mistake almost all bloggers make is to think that we're interested in their everyday personal life. Your training and diet etc ... that's what diaries and logbooks are for. Or some of the long-running threads on this forum, or Facebook.

• CindersCinders ✭✭✭

Same as above, needs to be made a bit more interesting.

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

The OP's primary mistake was to start blogging.

🙂

• There is a place for fitness/training blogs, and it's mainly within a community of other fitness bloggers, who are interested in each other's training. The main mistake practically ALL bloggers who come and post links to their blog on here is to do it when they've only just started and have only got a few posts up (one in this case) and no interaction with other bloggers. No-one is going to start following a new blog by someone they don't know - they *might* look at a reasonably well-established blog, read back through several posts, and decide to follow it if it looks interesting. But most new blogs aren't going to last past the first few weeks anyway. So my advice to the OP would be:

- accept that no-one is going to read your first few posts, but focus on keeping your blog for your own purposes. If you're still finding it useful after a couple of months, it's more likely others will too.
    - build up your audience FIRST before trying to publicise it more widely. You'll do this by following other personal triathlon and fitness blogs using your blogging ID, commenting on them, and generally interacting with other people who like blogging.
    - once you have some followers, some regular interactions in your comments, and a bit more of an online presence, you might consider asking other people to read your blog, but do it selectively: for example, if you've participated in regular training threads on here and made some friends, those people might be interested in reading more about your training.
    - think about what tags are actually for and use them more selectively. Again, you'll get the hang of this by reading other people's blogs.