Being judged by my choice of running wear

2»

Comments

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Probably more ill-advised than rude, Mutts.  Unless you know her well enough to be able to understand her motives.

It may have been that she was inspired by Olympic athletes who wear kit like that for competition.  She may even run at district level and it's what she always wears to run.  Who knows.

Bizzarely, I think I'd find it more uncomfortable watching a youg girl wearing that style of kit if she were back-of-the-pack than if she was really fast, or at a track meet. I guess I'm more judgemental than I thought I was - you can only wear skimpy kit if you are fast. 

Hmm........

• I think it's best to run in whatever makes you feel comfortable 

• Nessie....

I had a similar thought which annoyed me.........In the same way as I would love to weat a small crop top to run but wouldnt because I am too fat and not fast enough......

both of which are stupid reasons  image

• skottyskotty ✭✭✭
    seren nos wrote (see)

In the same way as I would love to weat a small crop top to run but wouldnt because I am too fat and not fast enough......

seems like a good reason to me. i'd rather you didn't.

• CunningFox wrote (see)

Harsh, a fine line I agree but I felt this was the wrong side. Maybe my opinion is overly conservative, but I felt I had to overt my eyes whenever they fell on her. If it was my daughter I would not have allowed it or at least expressed a strong opinion. I don't think a bikini could have been skimpier and no she looked to young for that as well imo. As I said I had no opinion until this but it made me feel uncomfortable and thus opinion arrived at, age makes a difference.

Were you made uncomfortable by 14 year old Tom Daley wearing speedos at his first Olympics? If not maybe you have to ask yourself if you were actually the one sexualising her when she was just trying to run in something she felt comfortable in.

That isn't an accusation of anything BTW I just think that sometimes what we think instinctively needs examining. if you would not say the same of a boy then you need to ask why.

• ZouseZouse ✭✭✭

Screams, you are bang on, here.

CunningFox was uncomfortable not because of the girl's outfit, but because of their (his?) own response to the way she was dressed. 

The girl in question may have had no clue what reaction she was getting, or she may have done, who knows? What is clear, though, is that onlookers are projecting their own sexuality on to her.

One day, I hope, women - regardless of their age - will all be free to wear what the hell we like, and others will just have to deal with their own response themselves.

In the meantime, I'm climbing into my Burkini & heading for Southern France.... 

• skotty wrote (see)
    seren nos wrote (see)

In the same way as I would love to weat a small crop top to run but wouldnt because I am too fat and not fast enough......

seems like a good reason to me. i'd rather you didn't.

but I would be so much cooler and would run faster..........I have never thought that I was too old to wear one though.and I have never looked at any of the runners wearing them and thought they were too old.........

strange what individual biases we have

• I must admit I did a double-take at some of the outfits the women were wearing in the triathlon, which appeared to be simply high-cut swimming gear. My first thought was that it looked really uncomfortable to wear, rather than 'phwoar', so I suppose I'm getting old.

• I went from angry to annoyed now just amused. Why would it be any different to a 14 year old boy? It's not.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    You would not have mentioned it if a 14 year old boy was in skimpy ladies clothes. You would have done the calculation and realised that everyone would know you were only annoyed at yourself for getting excited by itimage
  • Had that been the case I'm not sure I'd had have been able to control myself in my excitement and would have had to pay an immediate visit to the nearest toilet.... image image