Please sign this petition to stop Enniskillen parkrun losing its venue

Use the link below or use the one from the Enniskillen parkrun Facebook page:

https://www.change.org/p/national-trust-to-restore-enniskillen-parkrun-to-the-national-trust-property-at-castle-coole

It is a beautiful venue and the NT need to be shamed into reversing their decision to only allow parkrun to operate if the runners pay to enter the site.

Cheers

Comments

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I wish Park run would stop trying to bully legitimate trustees of land into letting them have it free of charge without contributing a penny of the income they derive from their global sponsors to its upkeep.
  • If I've understood correctly, VDOT's point here is that parkrun have failed to do any bullying in this case, they've just rolled over and moved to another venue.

There will have been lots of cases where parkruns simply haven't started because they couldn’t get permission from the landowner.  Probably far more than the number where permission is given, then either withdrawn later or a charge made. Only two of those so far as far as I know, which actually seems low to me given how many there are.  There must be quite a few wig far more runners than the organisers or landowners originally envisaged.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I See. So it's the OP that wants to get into the beautiful venue without paying towards its upkeep. My apologies to park run.
  • It seems that petitions are the answer to everything these days...

image  I may start one to make wagon wheels bigger again.  The biscuits, not wheels on actual wagons you understand.

• As far as I recall, and please anyone contradict me if they no better, the agreement with the NT and Lord Belmore was that the grounds were free to enter.

• So is this petition supported by parkrun and the local run directors

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    p mitch, Obviously you are correct about the agreement between Mr Belmore and the NT but the NT doesn't mention that when demanding that everyone has to pay to enter, when really they should only ask if those entering would like to make a donation and tell them that it is not compulsory.

Oh and- ignore puffy. I know it is hard with the overpowering smell of lavender and evening primrose stinging our virtual eyes and nose but if you ignore the irritation instead of swatting at the cause then it will go away quicker.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    The only smell when you're around is bullshit.
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Seren,

I would assume it is supported as it has been posted to the Facebook page managed by them and I can see that a few of them have signed it because they have also Added comments on the petition.

As I said elsewhere, they are remaining very careful and being professional in contnually thanking the NT for the last 2 years of support but do state that the decision to move is because "it is the only way to ensure that parkrun remains free for all runners".
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Puffy you are a charming lady.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    You do hate to be disagreed with don't you...NT have said thanks, but no thanks, and the parkrunners of Enniskillen have been offered a free alternative venue by their local council. so what, exactly, is the issue? You have your run, it is free, but that's not enough - you want your free run on someone else's property maintained at the expense of visitors who have to pay to go there.
  • XX1XX1 ✭✭✭
    Mr Puffy wrote (see)
    You do hate to be disagreed with don't you...NT have said thanks, but no thanks, and the parkrunners of Enniskillen have been offered a free alternative venue by their local council. so what, exactly, is the issue? You have your run, it is free, but that's not enough - you want your free run on someone else's property maintained at the expense of visitors who have to pay to go there.

I'm surprised he's not blaming the whole thing on Brexit image image

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    is that NW back??
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    Thanks to puffy for keeping this tread near the front. Keep up the good work.

Also if anyone wants to support the petition please use the link in my first post.

Thanks folks.
  • I think I'd just go with what parkrun want. They dont want to p*ss off the NT and risk their other runs.

Hopefully NT will get a new manager at that location and they may see the light.

As has been pointed out - getting the cafe up and running for cake and coffee from 9.30 would be a money earner for them after all.
  • I guess this is just a Northern Ireland thing, because there are a few parkruns in England that use NT property for free still...

• I think its could just be the manager of that NT property ?
  • VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    If you read the other thread I started about this you'll see links to the full story from the local papers and a link the Enniskillen parkrun Facebook page where it is made very clear (between the lines) that this was a local decision made by the manager who wanted to charge parkrunners for alleged wear and tear on dirt tracks, stoney paths and Tarmac and concrete roads which is not too unlike the little Stoke story.

Obviously parkrun is about free runs for everyone. The NT could have put a parking charge in place or charged for use of the toilets and parkrun could have continued. The 20 + parkruns in England that are managed by the NT seem to be have worked out how to make it work for everyone. It is a sad and strange development.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    You haven't made clear what is wrong with the venue that you've been offered though. Why do you demand that you run on the NT property? Is it some sort of political chip on your shoulder? If I don't like a local park run venue, I don't go to the nearest beauty spot and spit my dummy out if they don't give me carte Blanche to tear it up with a couple of hundred other runners

nobody put park run in charge of the NT property in enniskillen, and like the guys in little stoke perhaps this particular manager sees a disconnect between the commercial organisation that is park run wanting free use of the facilities that he is paid to look after. The council, who probably have more of an interest in the undoubted benefits that park run brings to its runners and venues, has given you a venue, so like I asked before just what is the problem?
  • parkrun is non-profit

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Yes Peter but money flows in from sponsors presumably based on the number of people participating and its directors are paid and it employs staff. If you are a parish councillor volunteering in your spare time that is hard to accept. I'm certainly not going to try to defend the financial behaviour of the national trust, but I'll defend its right to refuse another commercial organisation the free use of its facilities if it wants to.
  • Colin, we are not wearing out facilities. A letter leaked today to the local press states that local NT happy with management of Parkrun but unhappy with take up of membership, only 20% of the runners. It's about money.

Mr Puffy, you sound angry? I'll tell you a little about the venue offered. This was our original home. Three runs around a running track and three runs around a football pitch. Poor numbers showing up for runs, down to 12 on occassion, very few children, usually attended by the most dedicated runners. Furthermore, the routes was often gets swallowed up by the lough in winter, sometimes out of bounds for weeks so we were left without a parkrun. 

Since Castlecoole, numbers go up, healthy attendance of Parkrun Tourist showcasing the local NT Property, new friendships being formed, loads of kids mixing with older people, spin off running groups being formed.

I hope the link explains our concerns better than I can.

http://www.newsletter.co.uk/news/enniskillen-flooding-as-lough-erne-overflows-1-7114280

Hope that answers your question.

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    I'm not angry at all, is that what you say to anyone with a different point of view? Very similar to VD, uncanny.

I use the local gym at ??4 a time. It's a bit old and scruffy, and not many people go, but it does the job. Should I start a petition to persuade Bannatynes to let me use their gym free? Park run only exists because of the goodwill of a hell of a lot of people not even remotely connected to the running community, I think it's a privilege to be able to run in some of the venues not an entitlement.
  • Mr P,

Do you own a straw man?

• Mr PuffyMr Puffy ✭✭✭
    Dude, no I don't.
  • Could you sign our petition then? and i'll sign yours about the old and scruffy gym.

• VDOT52VDOT52 ✭✭✭
    HJ, take a look at my post on the other thread.

Oh and ignore puffy- I do. The hormones plays havoc (apparently).