Sunday 28th August 2016

Today's dose of lyrical flavour:
'Oh, I thought we were the human race,
But we were just another borderline case.'

What: Plan of 24 miles.  Hope to start at 8:00s and whittle down to 7:30s.
Why: Sunday.
Current Streak: Day 254.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image

Comments

• Morning.

Have a good one Ollie.

Sounds like a good day out OH - and that you may have hidden reserves!

Glad you looked after the lad Blisters - do you think he'll be back?

How is your calf emzap?

What:            Badgers Atherstone 10k
    Why:             seemed like a good idea when I entered
    Last hard:      today may be
    Last rest:       13/6

Lyrics - yes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

LMH: Good luck in today's 10k, have a good race. image

Have a good day. image
  • LMH: Enjoy your race and best of luckimage

Ollie: Showboating again I see.....hurdling for the Olympics?

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

WP: Don't know if I'd make the Olympics, maybe the Olliempics. image

Have a good day. image
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Morning!

Hope you go well, LMH.

Emz: well done for yesterday.

Blisters: saw NP at Lyme Park. He ran over 20 minutes. Currently running just over 18 usually so another indication of how tough it was. You must be tempted, OL!

Lyrics: no

What: 30 mins easy

Why: recovery day/training for the Olliempics.

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DustinDustin ✭✭✭

Morning
    Good luck LmH, hope the 24 when to plan Ollie
    what - loads of gardening plus some steady running with hills
    why - it's a mess, too warm to go long
    last rest - 3 weeks or so
    last hard - Friday
    lyric - possibly

• emzapemzap ✭✭✭

Morning

Good luck today LMH.  All of me is stiff today though not sure if it was from running, hiking, or sitting for hours in a car!

What: rest (beach trip, maybe lawnmower race, drive to Portsmouth)
    Why: it's what you do when you're in Somerset (and getting the overnight ferry to Caen)
    Last hard: sleeping enough, 14 people in this house!
    Lyrics: nope

Ollie, enjoy the 24 miles, hope it goes to plan image

Have a great day all.

• Afternoon all,

What: 5m S.  Very S but no L or D

Why:  it has to be done

Last Hard: 2007

Last Rest: Yesterday

Have a good one!

• alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Afternoon!

What: ended up as 26 minutes, 4.5k

Why: the loop  did was 26 minutes long. Legs decided that was enough.

Progress, Rocky.  

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Hope you have a stress free journey emzap.

That's a good increase in distance Rocky.

Nice here too Dustin, I can't imagine too hot to run long though.

Badgers Atherstone 10k - a reminder of why I don't do short or hilly races image

It was a lovely sunny, warm day by the time I stood on the start line having been warned by two ladies from the organising club that it was a very hilly race, especially in the first half. Talking to the guys around me at the front the general consensus was that it was flat 10k time plus 2 to 4 minutes. Oh ok, we'll revise expectations down slightly from our hoped for sub 40 then! Off we go and the fit, younger looking lady in the club vest that I'd stood next to on the start line gradually pulled away from me settling 50 - 100m in front, first .98 of a mile is up, eventually I crest the hill and the Garmin beeps - 6.43, ah ok, it's not going to be fast then, we should get some down soon though shouldn't we? Maybe not, whilst not quite so relentlessly uphill mile 2 also involves turning into the Merevale Estate, running across boarded cattle grids and a few tightish turns, first lady still pulling away and I know she isn't coming back, mile 2 - 6.43, oh dear, I seem to have got stuck at this pace. I'm toing and froing with a couple of men with them generally Pulling away slightly on the ups and me overtaking them on anything down. Mile 3 is more undulating than hilly and the Garmin beeps at 6.25, that's better, maybe I can pull it back a bit in the second half, that should be the worst of the climbing now, only it isn't, there's a long, steep hill and I can feel my asthma objecting, just slow it down, pull it back, keep the breathing in check. I know that if I push any more I'm going to cough and once I do that in this condition it's going to bring on a full blown attack, just keep it easy, there's the top of the hill, phew, oh feck, there's another poxy hill! Mile 4 (it turns out with the most climb though only just more than mile 1) in 7.18, oh dear. Right, come on, you're coasting, breathing is fine now, there's a downhill (at last) and there are only a couple of miles to go. No idea where third lady is (and it doesn't matter really as I'm giving all I've got today slow or not) first lady has pulled out of sight, still swapping places with the same few men, lovely long downhill, sharp corner back into the estate, boarded cattle grids, mind the mud it's slippery down the bottom, pah, fast feet! Mile 5- 6.07, that's more like it. Just a mile and a sprint finish to go, push on, Mile 6 - 6.05, a cruel little tight left turn into an uphill 50m or so then another left turn and the finish is in sight. Cross the line in 41.12 (chip time is one second faster) so no sub 40 today but second lady.

Lovely well organised, friendly race with a good mix of club runners and well over the hour 10kers. Despite hating hills I'd happily return next year. Asthma is sort of settled, wouldn't like to do anything too strenuous this afternoon and won't forget to take an inhaler out with me but should be fine for an easy run tomorrow, poxy thing asthma isn't it? Legs were definitely not the limiting factor on the hills - which was quite surprising given that all I ever do is bimble on the flat. 153m of gain over the 10k in total.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • alehousealehouse ✭✭✭

Well done, LMH! Sounds like it is worth sub 40 on a flat course! And your breathing sounds like mine of yesterday! 

• Well done LMH a great result and as Ale has said worth sub 40 on the flat.....you have to find a flat 10k image

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • What: ~1000m sea swim

why: SEDIA #28

last hard: yesterday

last rest: 30 July

lyrics: no idea

• OlliepopOlliepop ✭✭✭

Well done LMH, great 10k time, and definitely a sub-40 on a flatter course.  Congrats on second lady too. image

AH: Nice going on the 4.5k, good stuff.
    Dustin: Hope the gardening and hills went well.
    Emzap: 24 miles went well but not to plan (see below), hope you enjoyed your beach trip.
    AF: Good going on the 5 miles, nice to see the distance going up.
    OH: Well done on swim day 28.

Probably one of the best training runs I've ever done: 24 miles in 2 hours, 54 mins, 19.99 secs with a positive split of +50secs (~1:26.45/1:27.35).

The route had 12 lots of uphill to contend with, though 12 lots of downhill to capitalise on, the pacing plan went to pot so just ran to feel (going very easy on the uphills, which helped on the flats)  Obviously, it felt tougher around 22 miles, but not unbearably tough, so feel very positive on today's performance.

This week's mileage: 82.1 miles. image

Have a good day. image