Outlaw 2017

Comments

• I'm in......

Will phone Seren's lady to convert when I'm back next week.......and we have a team name!!

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭

I'm in, this is going to be my first iron distance race

• ** OUTLAW RELAYS - READ THIS **

I've just registered as a solo and called OSB, the contact we have is on holiday so they said to do the following:

1) if you've not registered as a solo yet, just wait until tomorrow as they kept extra places back to save the admin of transferring them over

2) if you have registered as a solo today, get all the team details together and send an email with your registration info to linda@osbevents.com and she'll be in touch when she's back from leave. This is for Pirate teams only.

If you do wait until tomorrow but can't get in as a relay, email adam@osbevents and he'll sort it out for you.

Again this is ONLY for pirate teams - we don't want to take the piss and send them loads of emails when they're doing us a favour. Also next year he said they will keep places back specifically for us so we don't even need to do the normal reg process. How good is that?! ????
  • Things to do at Calais whilst waiting to get loaded onto a ferry - enter Outlaw.

I'm in!
  • Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

I have now entered.  £300 poorer image  Will save multiple amounts of that by not going down the pub (much) over the next 11 months.  Did 12:29 on a tricky Maastricht course for my IM debut, hope to take at least an hour off that.  Training starts now.  Good luck all.

• IN an update to the post above, about what OSB need to know, please email them the following info:

- name of each team member
     - who is doing each discipline
     - team name
     - t-shirt size for each team member
     - medical conditions/allergies for each team member
     - emergency contact/mobile number for each team member
     - mobile & email address of each team member
     - your solo registration reference number

I think that should cover it all!

• Anyone still looking for a swimmer/cyclist?

gone back through the thread and possible teams still looking for a cyclist are:

intheblue/canirunyet

citizen146/mathschick

I can't promise to be amazing I'm afraid.

• cake is cycling with me and citizen146 now, sorry I didn't update the thread

although little sister was wanting to cycle, so if you find a runner, you may have another team there...

• Ah cheers Mathschick image I've pinged Little Sis on FB thread in case she still needs a swimmer

• Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know what the cut off time is for this and how strictly it is enforced?  My friend is thinking of entering for her first one and she isn't the quickest so will be really pushing it fine as a guess.

• I think it is 17 hours Rob.  All I'd say, having started an IM just hoping to get round is that if you're totally pushing all the cut-offs, it's not massively fun.  The swim/bike cut-offs are definitely enforced - I think they let a couple of folk through a few mins late last year, but don't quote me on it. 

Everyone has to decide for themselves, but I know I won't sign up for another IM distance until I know I can comfortably make the cut-offs.  It's a lot of training over many months, and with the added pressure of knowing every second counts, it can make for a stressful few months.  On the other hand some people can take that challenge and blast it, and end up far exceeding their expectations. 

If she's one of those people, then great.  Otherwise, it depends how much she really wants it I'd say.  Just my tuppence-worth, from a failed IM'er, hahaha!!  Feel free to ignore image

• There are cut offs for the swim (no negotiable if solo) and also for the bike... Check on OSB site. There has been a few people over the years missed the swim cutoff and also pulled from bike course.

Best suggestion, if in doubt, take an extra year to train and get speed/confidence up, then enter in 2018. You want to 'enjoy' the race, not spend it worrying
  • Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

She is doing a Half IM (club event) end of this month.  She will make a decision based on that.  17 hours is good though. Think Challenge Roth is 15hrs, and IM Barca 15:40.  I had thought all IM were 17 hours until I found out that IM Maastricht was 16:15 (and this wasn't a simple, flat course).  It very nearly cost us, because out of a group of 10 of us that did it, the last girl came in at 16:08.  phew!   Are there any IM distance events with longer than 17hrs cut off?

• Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

No to the brutal.  Just a straightforward one with more than 17hrs - thinking the outlaw is the best bet.  Not sure how old she is, possibly over 60 and only been doing tris a couple of years and has progressed from sprint to olympic so far and hopefully half iron distance by end of Sept.  For Outlaw I'm thinking she might be able to do the swim in 1:40.  Then start the bike with 1:50 on the clock.  Maybe 8:20 (13.5mph) for the bike and start the run with 10:20 on the clock.  6:40 marathon is walking pace with a few jogs.  Think the 17 hour Mdots have a 2:20/10:20 cut off for T1 and T2.

• from the FAQs for outlaw:

''You have 17 hours to complete the Outlaw. You need to be out of the swim and on the bike course within 2hrs 15 of the start, which is 8:15am, and you need to be back into T2 by 4pm.''

• Last year DPS Dave was allowed to continue onto the run after missing the bike cut off by 15 minutes.  And I think the last three or four finishers clocked 16.59.59 in a ten minute spread image

If you're close, they will do everything they can to get you to the finish line.

• IM always used to be 16 hrs with a couple of 17hrs for 'tough' courses, the reason you are now getting odd numbers and hours I think is because of rolling starts ...work away from cut offs, not up to them

• Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

OOh, so 6am start.  Same as mdot events the swim cut off seems very generous, the bike cut off less so.  She would have to do the bike in not much more than 8 hours (14mph).  As long as she is aware of what she has to do it in she can base her decision (on whether or not to enter) on that.  On the plus side if she beats the bike cut off the run is a relative doddle.  

• what is her character..some people fall apart in races and end up going slower than they do in training because the nerves get to them......others like me feed off the adrenaline and love it and go much faster than they can in training

• Simo429Simo429 ✭✭✭
    It. Will be a 6 start for the younger men, the ladies will probably be the very last wave
  • outlaw is a mass start, no waves...

I think outlaw half has waves

• So Little Sister might be up for the bike DaylightR, if you can find a

Runner?
  • DaylightR I'd still be up for running and husband LittlePhylis32 will swim as not heard from intheblue still interested. Did have another possible cyclist but don't think they want to do it now. We've both done the full in 2015 so fancy a go at the relay so let me know tonight if still interested - then will need all details for entry tomorrow. I'm at work but should be able to access computer at 9am although the full took a while to fill up this year!
  • DaylightR I'd still be up for running and husband LittlePhylis32 will swim as not heard from intheblue still interested but if they are he's happy not to do. Did have another possible cyclist but don't think they want to do it now. We've both done the full in 2015 so fancy a go at the relay so let me know tonight if still interested - then will need all details for entry tomorrow. I'm at work but should be able to access computer at 9am although the full took a while to fill up this year!
  • Rob1978Rob1978 ✭✭✭

So I have done the pre register thing for this and can sign up tomorrow but would like to delay a while partly because I could do with the money right now, but also as there is a chance I might do a different one instead. I have basically told everyone that I am doing theoutlaw however. So how soon does it normally sell out?  And fter it has sold out are there any, ahem, back door entry options?

• Cancer research places but they are more expensive - it did take a while to sell out this year