Options

VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Options

Hi Keiran

Depends where you are as to how hot it is.  Cooling down a bit here this evening so did get out.  Only walking though, not feeling up to running at the moment.  But that's the first time I've got out in a week and a half so just need to keep doing it.

• Options

Thanks for the welcome (and the thread) KieranG! Had the opposite weather problem here yesterday - I aborted my plans to get out first thing when I opened the front door and realised I needed swimming trunks! Managed to get out on my work lunch break though once it had settled down.... Plenty of time yet, no need to rush out. 

Well done on getting out walking PGI - it's all good!

• Options

Just realised I'll get to see part of the route tomorrow as I'm down in London for the London City Orienteering Race at Rotherhithe. 

• Options
    Morning all and welcome to the newbies.

Back from holiday on 31 August and slogging away towards the marathon next April hopefully. I managed to stick with the training whilst in Cyprus even though it meant getting up at 6 a.m. and running at 7 when it was still 34 degrees. Managed 10 miles in 1:51 and was quite happy with that.

My first HM on 4 September was awful - just not the course I was expecting so I posted a miserable 2:24 - was hoping for sub 2 with my previous pb being 2.06 which I achieved at Limassol HM in April this year.

I have Manchester HM on 16 October so will try again then.

Harminder I would very much like to join you too for the running the route sections even though I've run VLM before - especially the last two - Tower Bridge to Finish line and the 20 miler.

Hope you all have good days.
  • Options

Hi all

Have done London 10 times my last one in 1997 !! Am 58 now and put in for the ballot as wanted to do it once more !!

So will be on here a bit, I managed 10 the other day but mostly running 5-7 in training and around 80 miles a month. Now living in Helensburgh on west coast of Scotland

• Options

Oh bye the way, I will be nowhere near 3:30. That's was my name when I joined the forum yonks ago and my dream was to get under 3:340 but PB'd at 3:42, those days are long gone !!

• Options

Hello again all, I too have been 'off forum' most of the summer image

Running going OK but for some reason I seem to have lost all the speed I had a year or so ago, seem to be plodding image  Was supposed to be doing The Yorkshire Marathon on 9th Oct but will be away now so that's out of the window.  I've been trying to keep up on longer runs so that next Spring isn't a shock to the system, did 20 miles a couple of weeks ago and it was dreadful, i think it was a combination of heat, not enough to eat beforehand, too much gym work in the previous days etc, whatever it was I was bloody crap!  Busy doing hills and spadework with my club to try and get some speed back.  Also been doing quite a bit of running on the South Downs to get some hell work in (there's some giant hills there!!)

Head back to Texas next week so it will be tough for a few weeks until the weather starts cooling down, dithering about doing Houston marathon again, might give it a whirl, hopefully will be able to still get in nearer the time (Jan).

Hope everyone is enjoying this late blast of summer we're getting! alternating between sunshine and rain here!

• Options
    Anyone else been receiving emails from VLM asking them to consider running for a charity? Everytime I see their email address in my inbox my heart skips a beat!

Not long before the waiting is over!
  • Options
    Hi Harmander, Kieran, topsec and anyone else from last years monster thread!

Glad so see the 2017 thread going strong.

I have had a long time off after last Aprils endeavours. I will say you did the right thing in sitting it out for a year Kieran. It's taken me a long time to come back from injury. Running injured was not the most sensible thing I have ever done in my life!

I have my new and swanky orthotics and they are fantastic. My back pain and knee pain are almost gone and my posture is much improved.

If I had never done the VLM, I would never have found out I have weird feet so all good.

Not running has been frustrating in the extreme and I am just starting again. Little and often. No races planned. No pressure!

I will keep an eye on this thread to see how you are getting on with training.

It was so fantastic last year, I am sorely tempted to come down to spectate next April.

With a tea urn and a job lot of cake.
  • Options

Hello everyone, so last week I booked almost every Monday off work from January to marathon day. Only way I'm ever going to fit the long runs in. Made it feel very real all of a sudden! April really isnt that far away....

Mild panic over, I did a 10 mile training run this morning ahead of the Yorkshire 10 Mile in a couple of weeks. Struggled a bit around 8 miles but picked up towards the end. Legs ache badly now though. May have gone a bit fast.... Live and learn!

Shame you're not doing the Yprkahire marathon Top Sec, the 10 miler is on the same course, I could have shouted some encouragement. Hello to everyone else!

• Options

Good plan Crispy.  I'm hoping I'll have plenty of leave left to use at the crucial time myself.  

Got Lincoln Half Marathon coming up this Sunday.  Really want to do it but have added stress of a visit from the parents this week so it's going to be difficult.  I am still getting out regularly but still only walking rather than running.  Having said that did do a parkrun OK last Saturday.

• Options

Bournemouth on Sunday

1600 miles since 1 January

A marathon every Sunday from 16 October for four weeks

Kieron Have no forgotten your plan  

Ballot results starting next week - good luck everyone.

• Options
    Good luck Harmander - that's some schedule of Marathons!

Can't wait for the results to be out and not decided yet whether I'm nervous or excited or both!
  • Options

Hellooo! 

I'm in for London next year. It will be marathon number four for me, but first time running London....which is long overdue considering I live on the route just off the highway in Shadwell! I've massively enjoyed supporting and it's time I joined the runners!

Would definitely like to run the first half with some other people for practice. The bits after tower bridge I know well. Have never run the first section to Cutty Sark, and the bit to Greenwich to Tower Bridge I tried to do last year and got lost, ending up sticking to the river most of the way. 

Any London route tips will be much welcomed!

Thanks!

• Options

Dear UFL,

Your wish is granted - see my earlier message of 8/8 - copied below:

Wishing you all the best - happy to answer any question about running (particularly the VLM) as I am familiar with course.

If you are anywhere close to London, I will be happy to take people to run parts of it to familiarise them with it as I found it helps them overcome any concerns they may have. I will be doing this after October when ballot entry results are known.

The plan is:

October to mid November - Start line to Cutty Sark (about 6.5 miles)

Mid November to Christmas - Cutty Sark to Tower Bridge (about 6 miles)

January to February - Tower Bridge to Finish line (about 14 miles)

March - Cutty Sark to Finish line (about 20 miles)

In all cases I will expect to be treated with a MacDonalds Big Mac Meal from everyone. lol

• Options

Good luck if you do make it to the HM PGI - even if you just walk round that's something isn't it? Well done on the Park Run too. 

I've had a disaster of a week since my 10 mile training run! Spent two days confined to bed with a virus and still haven't fully recovered. At least it was a couple of weeks before the Yorkshire 10 mile rather than the week of, but I've not been out all week. I know I can get round I guess, just time goals need to go out the window!

Tempted by Harmanders practice runs I must say - if they coincide with my trips to see family in London I'll be there! 

• Options

Hi all, after reading the 2016 VLM thread in its entirity and this thread, i thought I better introduce myself.  Firstly, it has been fantastic to read everyone's individual stories, trials, tribulations, lows and ecstasties.  Congratulations to all those who ran this year, and commiserations to those who've had to defer, but glad to see that training seems to be going relatively well at the moment.

I've applied in the ballot for the first time. Not holding out much hope, but you never know. VLM or not, I'll be hopefully running my first marathon next year, with my aim to run Belfast marathon in may.  I've been running 3 years, completed 5 half marathons,  the last in an annoying 2hr 2 mins. I'm 40, and starting to feel my aging joints, but eager to keep pushing myself.  Roll on the ballot results!

• Options

Hi happybunny and welcome and fingers crossed for the ballot for you.

Succesful weekend for me.  My best time at a parkrun since January yesterday, then a PB by 3 minutes 17 seconds at Lincoln half marathon today - admitedly have only done one previously though.  Just need to get able to run in the midweek as well as weekends now.

• Options

Thanks and we'll done PGI. Onwards and upwards!

• Options

Just read on VLM website

The results of the ballot for the 2017 race are announced in October 2016. The earliest date you will hear from us is Monday 10 October and all applicants should have heard the outcome by Monday 17 October.

Good luck to everyone who applied.

Will be in Toronto from early next week for the Waterfront Marathon on 16 October to practice pacing again. I promise to sort out training programmes for everyone upon my return but expect to see some of you at Chelmsford Marathon on 23 October anyway.

• Options
    Have a great run Harmander
  • Options

I've run London the last four years, and love (almost) every second of it. I'm now getting very nervous because I've signed up for Boston six days before, and I'm now realising how knackered I'm going to be at London. But I can't not do London, so if anyone sees the world's slowest runner at London, stop and say hello!

• Options

Rodeoflip,

I did the same in 2014, I was seven minutes faster in Boston.

Boston is easy, first twenty miles are mainly downhill and I did not even notice the so called 'Heartbreak Hill'  The hill is just difficult because until then one is using one set of muscles and then there is a reversal - trust me, it is only temporary.

I was struggling to slow down in the first two miles, even stopped to tie my laces again but still managed sub-nine minute miles when I was planning doing elevens.

Just go and enjoy yourself and visit the bar where 'Cheers' comedy was filmed which is located near the finish line.

• Options
    rodeoflip wrote (see)

I've run London the last four years, and love (almost) every second of it. I'm now getting very nervous because I've signed up for Boston six days before, and I'm now realising how knackered I'm going to be at London. But I can't not do London, so if anyone sees the world's slowest runner at London, stop and say hello!

I did the reverse in 2014 - ran London then flew out and did Boston the week after - thought my legs had recovered from London but that first 3 mile drop from the start confirmed i was never going to hit 7mm pace - just had to accept it and enjoyed the day. Agree about Heartbreak - never really noticed it. 

• Options

Thanks guys, that's great to know. There's a lot of stories about Boston, so it's good to hear some first-hand experience. Is there anything I need to know or look out for? Any tips?

Boston will be the first of the two, so will be the "A" race (even if I jog round Boston, my legs will still not be good for London, so no point making London my "A" race). I have to accept that London will be a slow one, but like you, I intend to make the most of it and enjoy the day. It might be quite nice to focus more on the occasion and everything that's going on, rather than concentrating on pace and split times. I'm lucky to be in a position to do both races, so I'll take full advantage.

• Options

My advice for Boston would be practice running downhill at MP (or faster) to strengthen your quads. It can be a fast course if your legs can manage the downhills in the first 16, then stay controlled through the Newton Hills (16-21). After Heartbreak there is more downhill to take advantage of (so long as your legs aren't completely trashed by then!)

• Options

Depending on where your hotel is (near the start or finish will determine how you feel at he start line.

Ours was near the finish and involved a 45 minute journey being bussed in those yellow school buses to a school from where there was another one mile walk to the starting pens - but a good supply f refreshments and availability of portaloos.

Luckily the weather was pleasant so be prepared in any case.

It was a year after the bombs and the locals seemed grateful for the foreigners coming over.

BTW at the Expo, seemed a bit cramped by comparison to say London, one would have thought after (then) 119 years they would have sorted that out.

Great running experience though - just Tokyo to go and all Marathon Majors done then for me

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Afternoon all,

Just a quick hello.  Running going a bit crap at the moment, seem to have lost all my speed and ability, it'll come back though so as long as I keep ticking over, I'll be OK image  I'm running with my marathon training group in Houston at the moment (long runs anyway) and it's bloody awful, so damned hot and sticky, I'm hating, just praying for some cooler weather to come through.  It's 3:30 in the afternoon now and currently 32 deg and 90% humidity image  The drawback right now is that it isn't cooling much at night so even my early morning runs (6am), it's still low 20's and reaches high 20's by the time I've done a few miles, once the sun comes up.  Tomorrow's run is 14 miles and I know it will be awful!

On a positive note ....  hmm - haven't got oneimage  I'll be home in 4 weeks so it'll get better then - perhaps I'll be moaning how cold it is!! image

• Options

Good going PGI - well done on Park Run and HM!

Forget Boston - the hill at 9.5 miles of the Yorkshire 10 mile (and around 26 miles on the Yorkshire Marathon) would finish any one off ????

Still I'm well happy with my 10 miler - 1h 27m 43s. Barely run for the last two weeks but still came in sub 90 mins which was the target all along!

• Options
    Ahem, so it turns out I have a ballot place for London, second time in a row!!! Harmander, I'll definitely find you this year!!!!