Options

SUB 40MIN 10K

Hi, looking to get sub 40mins for 10k. My best time is 41:33. My splits are always slower in the second half of the race so have tried to focus on longer runs to build endurance but not sure its working. Just been for a 5k run with the aim of doing 19mins but my splits were 

3.38, 3.51, 3.58, 4.11, 4.08

Any thoughts on how I should focus my training to build the strength? 

(35 year old, currently doing 5 sessions a week)

Comments

• Options
    What do your 5 sessions a week look like in terms of days, miles, pace.

I'd save the racing (what look is like tonight's run was) for races and concentrate on building up some more base endurance.
  • Options

Thanks for the response Millsy.Point taken on the 5k today though dont do this weekly, just wanted to get a 5k time on the board.

Typical week:

1 x long run 60-90 mins 4.30-4.45 pace with a faster finish last few kms to 4.15 pace

1 x 40 min run at 4.30 pace

1 x interval session eg 6 x 1k @ 3.45 pace with 60 seconds rest

1 x 30 min easy pace but with some circuits thrown in - burpees, squats, press-ups

1 x other sport (eg 90min football match)

Any input greatly appreciated

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I think all your runs slightly miss the zones. 

Why not slow down your longer run generally but then throw in few miles at Mara pace.

Your 40 minute run seems to just sit somewhere around steady. Why not warm up and cool down and run 20-30 mins in the middle at half Mara/threshold or 10k pace, 2 x 2 miles off 5 mins or a straight 20 mins at half pace.

You don't necessarily need a weekly interval session. The session above will do more for your 10k. 

How easy is the 30 min easy? Ultimately committing more run time will help tremendously. 

• Options

Thanks DT will incorporate that into next week.

Appreciate the response

• Options

My best recent 10k is 41.26 but my training looks nothing like that. I'd say you need more focus on steady runs and slow down, and don't try to do flat out runs like that. Also for races don't go off at an unsustainable pace, if your km reps are only 3.45 no point in dashing off at 3.38 even in a 5k. Reps can be done at different intensities but for me, km reps are at or above 5k race pace.

• Options

Thanks Joe, have been slowing down my runs for the last week or so - hoping that will help.

I have a race coming up in November - hoping I can get below 40 mins then. Would be interesting to hear how you get on in the next couple of months.