Starting running at 56 years old...

Firstly Hello from a newbie... A quick bit about me, 56 years old was 15 stone and 5'7" and decided I should do something about it ( was always a lightweight as a youngster, but put weight on over last 15 years or so) and about  5 months ago I decided to go on a diet and start cycling again after a 40 year break and really loved it.

I have been cycling around 110 -140 miles a week for the last 4 months and now weigh in at 11 stone 12 pounds and decided I fancied a go at jogging, ( I have seen people doing a 10K race local to me and kept thinking..if only ) so one day a couple of weeks ago I put my heart strap on ( just to make sure I wasn't overdoing it) put on some trainers and went for a short plod ..walked a bit then jogged a bit and ended up doing 2.3 miles in 25 mins 26 seconds and felt aches and pains that I certainly didn't get with cycling but decided to give it another last week same 2.3 miles in 24.02 and not aching nearly as much so now I have got the bug, another try last Friday this time 3.1 miles at 33.22.. with no ill effects.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp262/TAZ1001/best%20time_zpsifisfcgz.jpg?1475438441279&1475438445478&1475438447064

The thing is this has got me thinking, perhaps this 10K run that I keep seeing might just be possible, I want to carry on cycling but am thinking maybe three rides a week one being a recovery ride in HR zone 1 and a couple of jogging/running sessions a week ( not worrying about speed but trying to build up the distance) and a couple of days off altogether.

Does this seem like a sensible idea and realistically would I be able to attempt a 10 fun run in a few months time.. Oh and I have been out this weekend to my local running store and have been fitted with some new shoes which have apparently have straightened my footwork out..

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    Find a nearby ParkRun and do those every week for a few months, you'll soon be ready for a 10K, and have a feeling for what its like to run in a crowd.

Keep up with the cycling and jogging sessions in the meantime, slow and steady improvements will lessen any risks of injury.
  • Non running excecise to strengthen your ankles legs and core will be good.
  • Thanks to both senidM and Mr Puffy, I have just been looking up park runs and we have plenty happening in my area so I will look into that.

Mr Puffy what sort of non running exercises for strengthening ankles and core would you recommend ?

I meant to say I have a direct drive turbo trainer for my road bike and use that for quite hard simulated hill riding in between my other cycling.

• Heel drops single leg squats planking and yoga all good without bursting something
  • Thanks Mr Puffy, will give it a go.

• I have been out twice this week Monday.. and this morning ... Two very enjoyable runs...

monday... 3.2 miles , 31.23 minutes , 9.47 pace

this morning the pace was slower ( which I tried to keep down ) but the distance was up..

this morning..... 6.2 something ( well it come up as 10k on my garmin forerunner ) miles, 1hour 5 minutes 58 seconds and a pace of 10.33 . Not blisteringly fast but I am so pleased I made that distance......I think the last time I did anything more than walking pace was when I was a kid ( running away when getting into mischief )

• I think at this juncture your pace and times aren't important. Just upping your mileage a little each week is the way to go and run how you feel. 

• Thanks Peter, I felt that I was trying to hard, so when I went out this morning I had it in mind  to try and make 5 k again, and at 5 k my breathing was ok my legs were not over tired so I thought I would carry on and wouldn't have minded if it had even taken longer ( as it was a pleasant time out with a mixture of jogging on Tarmac, grass, flints on the beach and up through the woods ) and then the 10 k mark came up quite quickly.. And all that I could think of was that the week before last I hadn't run for probably 40 years plus and was quite pleased with myself.  Must say my calfs ache a bit this evening but other than that no ill effects.. Really enjoying it and will carry on..

• Steve 007 I would like to congratulate you !! Well done for your try.Keep going but always listen your body.I start 40 ( i am 44 ) years old my regular running I was very excited but one day I was running and I felt a small pain on my right calf...I didn't stop...so after 5 minutes i felt a cut...that was awful...I run again after 3,5 months but I learn my lesson...now if I feel a small pain or something I stop immediately...It's better to lose 1 - 2 days from 1 - 2 months.Have lovely running days !!!
  • Hello STAMATIS, thanks for your reply, I went out again this morning and did a 5K run which was once again very enjoyable, which i will try and continue for a while (completing 2 to three runs a week ) I am sure the fact that i have been doing over a hundred miles a week on my road bike has helped me with my fitness and is paying off with the running. Thanks for the advice i will stop if anything doesnt feel right, you said it is better to have a few days off rather than a few weeks.. which could end up being my cycling as well as my running..

the only thing that put me off this morning was having to clean all of the dogs mess of my running shoes when i got home, still it serves me right for thinking i would run through a park and woodland trail.. image

• The running on the road is hard and you need some time to used to it, in the beginning for me was very hard and I had a lot of pain on my legs bur now I am ok.