Depression

I suffer from depression yet I feel as if I cannot get off the Roller coaster of every day life. Just sometimes feel that everything Could just stop. I can't stop neither can I stop running either . Before a run I can't wait to get started, during the run I either enjoy it Or wish I hadn't bothered. After the ran I wish I had run further. I just feel as if I want someone that I could speak in confidence with. Have others found this problem? How is it remedied?

Comments

• Hi Phil

Firstly, well done for posting this. Unfortunately, we're all loathe to discuss our mental health, yet many of us suffer or have suffered with some kind of mental health problem.

My own situation is that I suffered from quite severe depression in my teens and 20s. I'm now 40 and although I can't say I don't revert to old bad habits, I have managed to manage them.  In recent years, running has certainly helped, but as you rightly say, the bad runs can seem like they put you back.  But, bad runs are part of the course - I try and look at them in terms of making the good runs better, if that makes sense. Plus, good sessions can help lift mood.  One suggestion is that, if you have a bad run, could you use it as a training tool. For example, if it was an interval session, could you make it a target to improve on a future session.  Are your goals achievable? Sometimes, we expect a lot of ourselves (I know I do all the time) and it can set us up for a fall.  Maybe, you need to scale back on your running goals, or break them down into smaller chunks.

You mention that you would like someone to speak in confidence to. I've done this in the past through my gp. You should be able to get a referral for a counsellor. Alternatively, I've used a private counsellor in the past. I've found it really useful in that I can say what I like without judgement. Just simply talking can help. 

I'm not an expert, either in mental health or running, but hope that something here might help. I think the very fact you are running is a huge positive, and would urge you to continue, even if it means dragging yourself out by your boot straps! That's something a lot of people don't do, and we're amazing for doing it ????

Please, if you're able, talk to friends and family about how you're feeling. It may not be easy sometimes, I know, but it does lift some weight from your shoulders.

Take care, and let us know how you get on.

Nicky

• Hi Philcat,

Running to me was a massive help, trying to read into your post a bit it does sound like you are being hard on yourself probably too hard. Getting out and running at all is an achievement, wishing you'd done more is just a sign of a good session. Go easy on yourself and be pleased for every session you do.

I agree also with happy bunny see your GP don't let them put you off if they're to interested, they should be but you need to explain it. There are services they can direct you to. 

• Hi Phil,I had the same problem...very big problem...but fortunately always there is a solution to any problem...I didn't go to a doctor... ...just one morning i went in front of my...mirror...and asked him..what's the problem mate ? What is the real problem and what are you doing for this problem mate?...This was the first step...to know what is your problem....if you understand this after is the second step...what is your options to solve it...If you do that I think it will be a very good start.In my case the running help me very very much because when I run 1 or 2 hours my brain thinking other thinks than reality because reality when you running it's pain...so if you think something else you don't feel the pain...for example I am thinking what I am going to do to improve my self to be better person or what I did wrong or did i something good ?...ETC...So if you want to talk to somebody I am here...Have a good week !!! image
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭

Hi Phil, thanks for posting.

As others have said, I think the fact that you're going out for the runs is a good thing, so try not to be too hard on yourself (I know this may be easier said than done at times).  I have no real advice, but are there options of changing the focus of your running at all - maybe running with other people to make it more of a social thing, just as an example?  Or, entering a few events, if that's your thing, to give you something to aim for?

In terms of people to talk to in confidence, there are organisations out there which may be able to help.  As has been said, talking to your GP can be a good start to open up some of these services, if that's the road you want to go down.  Or, in my experience, simply running with a friend to get things off your chest can be a massive help.

But most of all, take care of yourself, and try and do what is right for you.

• Agree with all the above, especially the suggestion to speak to your GP. Lots of people swear by the therapy GPs can access, personally I found medication crucial in stabilising things. Once stabilised, everything else becomes far more manageable. Things don't seem anywhere near as suffocating.

As regards your running, have you considered joining a running club? Depression can be isolating and the social aspect of a club may help with that, while it might also help give structure to your sessions. By giving someone else responsibility for your workouts you might also take some pressure off yourself.

Hope it gets better soon image