Options

how often to change trainers?

I have a half marathon coming up and wonder if my faithful Saucony Jazz 17 need replacing. They have done about 400 miles so far and I think Im fairly heavy on them. Any advice please?

Comments

• Options
    500m is a VERY rough guide,

But you know you will need new shoes soon.

Why would you not buy a pair before your shoes had died and test them to see if you notice a difference ?

Sooner rather than later seems to be a sensible idea - and if you find the old shoes are still good - then carry on running.
  • Options

Thanks Cougie. Good advice. ordering today!

• Options

What the wise Cougie says. 500 miles is a rough guide but if they feel okay carry on in them. The warning signs of knackered shoes are aches and niggles setting in. The shoes may look okay but the support structures could be wearing out.

But after 400 miles, time to get a new pair anyway and start breaking the new ones in. If you see a good deal, get two pairs and rotate them. As you run in one pair the other is resting and that extends its mileage.

(I've got three pairs on the go - two sets of road shoes and a one of trail shoes.)

• Options

Am with the others on this

I aim for 500 miles, whatever the wear that shows on them. I am slightly older so need to take care of the old joints, and spending £75 max on new shoes roughly every 6 months is no hardship ( I just buy last years colours always cheaper on Sportshoes)

All other running kit is cheap (unless your a designer clothes victim) so don't mind the expense on regularly replacing shoes

• Options

Thanks everyone. I have worn in my new trainers in time for the Exeter half tomorrow so fingers crossed. Good advice 330, I got same as last time from sportsshoes and good deal as before. Who cares about colour? I also am older and watching my joints. 

• Options

One year or 500 miles, whichever one comes first. However, running a half marathon in a brand new pair of shoes isn't a good idea. You need to bed them in with some shorter runs.