Options

Strictly 2016

Comments

• Options

Hoped for Ed in bottom 2. He was terrible yesterday but either if these 2 would be still fair.

Loved Danny and Ore. Surprised Danny didn't get a 10

• Options
    I guess we're stuck with Ed for amusement value for a few weeks...

Naga lost it a bit in the dance off, poor thing.
  • Options

Well I said it should be two from the bottom four and it was so not going to argue.

I like Naga but it was the right choice.

OK so Ed should have gone as really wasn't good this week but will only be a couple more weeks I suspect. If Anastacia and Rinder go before him I wouldn't be upset. Anybody else though would be wrong unless he makes a big improvement.

Actually I thought Danny should have got at least one 10 as well.

Usually the ladies are better but we have two very good men in this competition at the moment.

• Options

I was absolutely blown away by Ore's jive - had to watch it twice!!  Considering he's never danced before, he's clearly a natural, and it's also testament to how good a teacher Joanne Clifton is.

I agree it was right that Naga went, based on who was in the dance off.  If it was a choice of who in the whole thing went, then it should have been Ed, I couldn't even watch his dance it was so bad.  And true to form, the 'racist' card has been shown again - honestly, people need to get a life - it's a dancing competition for the sake of entertainment, not a vote for the next leader of the country!!!!!

Sorry, rant over.

Lesley was fabulous and Danny was brilliant too.

Looking forward to next weeks' offerings..... image

• Options

Yes I have just seen some commentary about racism and don't agree.

First it is nothing to do with the BBC but viewer voting.

However I did feel Melvin was worst first week. Laura and Tameka fell foul of mid- table position and although really close I think Laura being saved was right and she has proved that since.

Naga was popular but in fairness she wasn't very good.

OK yes Ed should have gone but he is getting some early votes because he is really getting into it. It won't last.

Also looking back we have had a number of non-white winners and finalists over the series.  It is unfortunate that the first three out are non-white but I think by and large they have been the right decisions.

Ore should stay in for a good while now though and could well be a finalist but let's see how it shapes up. I thought he would struggle to better last week but he at least certainly equaled it in my eyes and did better from the judges' view.

• Options
    • Anastacia and Brendan will be dancing the Quickstep to 'My Kind of Town' by Frank Sinatra
    • Claudia and AJ will be dancing the Samba to 'Young Hearts Run Free' by Candi Staton
    • Daisy and Aljaz will be dancing the Charleston to 'Happy Feet' by Manhattan Rhythm Kings
    • Danny and Oti will be dancing the Rumba to the Sam Smith version of 'How Will I Know'
    • Ed and Katya will be dancing the American Smooth to '(Is This The Way To) Amarillo' by Tony Christie
    • Greg and Natalie will be dancing the Cha Cha to 'We Found Love' by Rihanna featuring Calvin Harris
    • Judge Rinder and Oksana will be dancing the Jive to 'Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy' by The Andrews Sisters
    • Laura and Giovanni will be dancing the Jive to 'Reet Petite' by Jackie Wilson
    • Lesley and Anton will be dancing the Tango to the Gotan Project version of 'Whatever Lola Wants'
    • Louise and Kevin will be dancing the Rumba to the Michael Buble version of 'Always on My Mind'
    • Ore and Joanne will be dancing the Waltz to the Claudia Streza version of 'I Will Always Love You'

Rumbas for Danny and Louise...

Ore has a waltz, a

• Options

You do know Brendan left the show on Tuesday ?

• Options

I didn't at the time, although  not left just off with a lung infection.

Laura also didn't make it due to injury and got a bye.

So judges about right again on scoreboard.

Personally, whilst good, I didn't think ore was quite as good as last two weeks.

Anastacia and Rinder had their best dances and poor old Greg got one that just didn't suit him.

I did think that was the case though and voted for hi mas think he deserves another week.

May be Ed's turn to go. We shall see

• Options

Well Lesley was valid in fairness but as it came down to the last two I did winder if Daisy being mid tableish might fall in but did think it would be Greg. 

Also I wasn't that impressed with Daisy's Charleston. It was OK but nothing spectacular, although more down to the choreography.

However I think Daisy staying was right.

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Ed should have gone, based on merit, but probably Lesley was the next weakest, so fair enough.  She did improve a lot between the main show and the dance off, so at least went out on a high. 

I can't quite "get" Daisy - possibly because I'd never heard of her before the show, possibly because as a model she's a performer without being an actor, so for me she doesn't quite connect.  She's good technically though, so may improve.  Caroline Flack was a bit like that for me, until the last 2 or three weeks.

To me Louise looked like she was half asleep - again technically pretty good, but just not "there".

If I'm totally honest, the only one I *really* enjoyed this week was Ore and Joanne's Waltz.

• Options

Funny, there were no calls of racism this week that a white person went out...........jus sayin......

I agree with you Nessie - I can't warm to Daisy and I didn't think her Charleston was all that - the moves were perhaps a little too small and neat.

Louise is technically good but everything is so carefully placed, she needs to let go and use her hips properly, she's too stiff. 

My favourite was Judge Rinder's jive - I just love him and he's surprisingly quite good. 

Ore's waltz was good but not as good as his previous 2 weeks for me.

I think Ed should definitely go this week - I tend to watch strictly on catch up and he's the only one I fast forward as I find him cringeworthy.

• Options

Um, so agree with you both on Daisy. Not a bad dancer but difficult to connect and I didn't think the Charleston was that great. OK, definitely not bad, but seen a lot better.  For me a bit like Abby Clancey possibly (interestingly another model) who really only became the full package near the end. So Daisy still has time

Agree on Louise as well. Very good but needs to find something else. We are moving to that point in the season though where people have plateaued around what they brought in and now need to improve. This is true of the good dancers as much as the less able.

Also agree with you Beth on Ore. Good but not as good as last two weeks.

Rinder's jive was good and definitely his best dance

• Options
    • Anastacia and Brendan will be dancing the Jive to ‘Bat Out Of Hell’ by Meat Loaf
    • Claudia and AJ will be dancing the American Smooth to ‘Black Magic’ by Little Mix
    • Daisy and Aljaz will be dancing the Paso Doble to Santa Esmeralda version of ‘Please Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood’
    • Danny and Oti will be dancing the Foxtrot to ‘Take Me To Church’ by Hozier
    • Ed and Katya will be dancing the Cha Cha to the Hansel Martinez version of 'Love Potion No. 9’
    • Greg and Natalie will be dancing the Rumba to ‘Bring Me To Life’ by Evanescence
    • Judge Rinder and Oksana will be dancing the Paso Doble to ‘Born This Way’ by Lady Gaga
    • Laura and Giovanni will be dancing the Tango to 'Paint It Black' by The Rolling Stones
    • Louise and Kevin will be dancing the Charleston to the Emeli Sande version of ‘Crazy In Love’
    • Ore and Joanne will be dancing the Charleston to the Bow Wow Wow version of 'I Want Candy’

So could all be pretty good. Bat out of Hell for Jive sounds great but would tend to be fast and maybe too much for Anastacia.

Oh dear Greg has Rumba and that will be really tough and I think he will struggle with that. Possibly wouldn't want to get it any later though.

His get out of jail may be E

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Thanks Brooks.  Looks like a good show.  Ed and Cha Cha - could be messy!

Judge Rinder will either be brilliant or hilarious at the Paso - depends on his facial expressions....

Agree Greg might struggle - but seeing him on ITT the other night, he'll be trying very hard.

I think Ed and Greg in the bottom 2, with Ed going. 

• Options

I'm inclined to agree with you Nessie. And it won't be a minute too soon for Ed to go. 

I'm also really hoping that Judge Rinder can just be serious for one dance, that being this weeks' paso because I think underneath all that messing about he's actually really good.

It'll be interesting to see if Louise can relax enough to make the Charleston look as messy and crazy as it's meant to - fingers crossed it won't look too precise (whilst obviously still being technically perfect).

• Options

I was away at the weekend so didn't see the show but recorded it. I watched the results how last night and will need to go back and watch the main show.  To be honest Anastacia going wasn't a big issue but we are now down to the good ones plus Greg (who I sort of include but having had a Cha Cha and a Rumba needs to get back on form next week to justify that) and Ed. Who isn't best dancer but can entertain (did Bruno give him an 8! I am sure I heard that in the results show.

• Options
    Brooks the beast wrote (see)

Bat out of Hell for Jive sounds great but would tend to be fast and maybe too much for Anastacia.

Good prediction! Was time for her to go.

In terms of Saturday's dances I wouldn't have been surprised to see Ore in bottom two, just didn't think the dance was very good and whilst that's down to the choreography it does make a difference with how people vote.

Compared with Danny and Oti who made a lot of mistakes but so much good content in there that hardly mattered from a 'how good are they?' point of view.

I think Ed might squeeze through at least one more week because he is clearly trying harder than most of the comedy contestants of the past but is also managing to keep the comedy element. The problem for Ed is that once he is in the bottom two he's gone.

I like Daisy and enjoyed her dance this week but it will be difficult for her to pick up voting momentum now. Possibly she will be in bottom two again this week with Greg?

I love the Argentinian Tango but not sure Kevin and Louise will be able to deliver the electric tinged passionate tension required.

I can now get my wife round a room waltzing or quick stepping and can cha cha a bit. We're quite enjoying it.

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Yes, Ed got an 8.  It was definitely his best dance, but some of the scores for the others were lower, and they danced better.  Still, he was 2nd bottom of the leaderboard (Anastacia was bottom, and tbh, she wasn't great), so overall fair enough.

Shame Danny made so many mistakes - it would have been a fantastic dance if he'd got it right.  It was still good as Oti's choreography is stunning, and I loved the use of the ribbon.

• Options

OK so watched Saturday and interesting.

Have quite a few thoughts. Anastacia going was still right.

There is an interesting perspective on dancing. It needs to be good and technical but it is also entertainment and you know what, I really enjoyed Ed's dance as did the audience. Put simply it was the most entertaining and in a fairly deliberate way. i.e. I genuinely think people are laughing with him rather that at him as we did with Sergeant and Widdecombe. The entertainment is genuine not co-incidental. OK he isn't the best dancer and is comedic but deliberately slow. There was Cha Cha In that dance and I actually enjoyed it!

Greg - It probably wasn't a Rumba but I don't get Rumba anyway and what was there was well danced. Craig aimed his criticism, quite rightly , directly at Natalie (and she took it to heart).  HOWEVER the key point is whilst points were deducted because it wasn't a Rumba it was a GOOD dance. So points were right but also Greg is still in this.  Also when you have a bad session (Danny) you will drop down. It was mistakes though rather than bad dancing as such, he will be back on form I am sure

Ore was OK but not inspiring. Louise was good but not great in my view, it didn't quite wow me.

I thought Claudia was top on merit with a great first lift but actually equal with Laura who has really come on.  Rinder was pretty good.

Daisy was OK.

So with 9 left I think we have 8 dancers who could all go onto win.All capable of a good week, a week of mistakes could be costly.  I don't think that is true of Ed yet but I am now convinced he has got this far on merit, if not entirely ability. His problem now is the dress-up sessions etc have gone so will be more exposed on dance now, although Katya will keep encouraging him to be a character and fair due to him for achieving it.

• Options

Um so some good dances.

Louise Argentine tango was very good, especially the finish, she is improving.

Danny had a great jive and possibly deserved joint top

Daisy OK.

Ore - OK but felt like three great lifts with bits in between and wasn't as good as I thought it might be.

Judge Rinder was good as was Claudia

Laura was interesting. She has improved a lot in ballroom but somehow doesn't quite get the movement in Latin.  Also interesting that my wife said that Giovanni loves himself before Len made a similar comment (About Giovanni hogging the limelight)

Greg was marked the same but I thought he was better and voted for him. Also noted that Craig complemented Natalie on the choreography this week having doubted it last week. So fair dues to him

Ed was the worst dancer BUT he did dance and although there was some slapstick, he actually moved pretty well and although the footwork wasn't great it was better than I expected. He actually did a decent job.

So I thought Greg would get votes and Laura would be in the dance off. I wasn't sure if Ed would get votes but if he did then I had a strange premonition that Ore might drop in. He was a bit mid table but more upper middle and suspect people thought he was safe. OK same score as Daisy but people knew she wasn't safe so may have voted more for her this week.

However it was an easy dance off to judge and Laura rightly went. She had improved a lot but heavily favoured ballroom over Latin.

On balance still not lost a real final contender. Ed may make Blackpool but probably no further, however he has Salsa next week and fear he may look terrible in that.

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Wow, what a show!  Noone had a bad dance, and Louise's AT was a total step change in her dancing.

Ed was a revelation - OK, still the weakest, but there was a lot of dance content, he was lighter on his feet that I'd ever have imagined, and the acting was good.  From where he started, I actually feel he earned another week.

Taking him out of the equation, I think the bottom 2 was fair.  Ore is brilliant, but the dance didn't play to his strong points.  Laura's would have been better if Giovanni had trusted her with more and had toned down his own performance - it looked like she was standing about a lot watching him being brilliant (which he was).

Loved Rinder - the judges just need to stop looking at his face!

• Options

Agree with you completely Nessie. 

I do think it was right that Laura went as, after Ed, I personally think she was the weakest dancer. 

Was surprised to see Ore in the bottom two, but not sure that was entirely his dance.

I think Ed may go this week, his ballroom is getting better - Saturday was really good for him - but I don't think Latin is his thing. 

Everyone else, I thought, had really good dances.  Louise was superb, but then I think the precision which that dance requires plays to her strengths.  I also thought Judge Rinder was fab - I just love him!! image

• Options

I am still not sure on Rinder. He is dancing well and is very fit but can't quite take to him personally. However I didn't take to Aby Clancy and she was a rightful winner in the end so he may still grow on me.

Beth - tend to agree on Ed. He danced well this week, the weakest but well and as you say Nessie was surprisingly light on his feet, I agree he deserved another week. However I agree on Latin in general and think Salsa in particular might really show him up. Then again Katya hasn't put a foot wrong on choreography so far. She must be really pleased how far they have got as I am sure she thought she would be out early.

This week's dances should be announced today.

• Options

Dances for this week are:

• Claudia and AJ will be dancing the Viennese Waltz to 'Breakaway' by Kelly Clarkson
    • Daisy and Aljaz will be dancing the Salsa to 'Groove Is In The Heart' by Deee-Lite
    • Danny and Oti will be dancing the Argentine Tango to 'I Heard it Through the Grapevine' by Marvin Gaye
    • Ed and Katya will be dancing the Salsa to 'Gangnam Style' by Psy
    • Greg and Natalie will be dancing the Paso Doble to 'Tamacun' by Rodrigo y Gabriela
    • Judge Rinder and Oksana will be dancing the Foxtrot to 'You Make Me Feel So Young' by Harry Connick Jr
    • Louise and Kevin will be dancing the American Smooth to 'Big Spender' by Shirley Bassey
    • Ore and Joanne will be dancing the Rumba to 'Ordinary People' by John Legend

OK so some interesting ones here.

Louise will be fine with the smooth and Danny should be good with the Argie Tango. Claudia and the Vienniese should also be fine

I think Rinder should have a decent Foxtrot.

Greg should be OK with Paso I suspect it will suit him. 

It is the Salsas and the Rumba which might be a challenge.

I dislike Rumba anyway and always fear it especially for male celebs. Ore may be OK but not sure a slower dance is really his style. So may be a challenge.

I also think Daisy might struggle with Salsa.

Already said Ed might find Salsa tough, Gangnam style does give Katya a change to make it entertaining although it could also make it cringeworthy.

So Ore (controversial I know), Daisy and Ed are where I think the dance off will come from.

Ed won't win though, I mean that would be like Donald Trump becoming President of the USA.......Oh 

• Options

I agree with you Brooks, definitely Daisy and Ed for the dance off this week, probably with Ed going out (hopefully...) image

Should be a good evening of dancing as I think most of the remaining dancers (barring Ed and Daisy) are really good.  To expand, I still haven't warmed to Daisy and I just don't think she has the grace required in general nor the gumption that the Salsa needs.  Personally I wouldn't miss her if she went out this week.

• Options

I think Daisy is really dividing opinion this year. I am with you that I can't warm to her. Don't dislike her but doesn't really impress me and it's not the steps as such.

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Not a fan of Daisy, but she looked pretty good in training on ITT last night.

• Options

Just watched it last night and I thought Greg was pretty poor (so disagree with the Beast image), he looked really forced and not at all graceful to me - based on last week's dances if it had been Ed and Greg in bottom two I think Ed would have had a fighting chance.

I also like Daisy so disagree with just about everyone on that oneimage. I think a lot of the dances that her and Aljaz have performed are good to watch - obviously I am in the minority in the country.

Looking forward to Danny and Oti's Argentine tango although I do prefer it to traditional music. I think they will definitely win, I think the judges have been trying to mark them down from the start (still 8s and 9s) simply to try and not make it obvious they are going to win. 

• Options

SFF - dance is art so people will like different things and that is fine.

• Options

OK good dances again.

Danny - good Argie Tango but somehow not quite as good as I thought. Interestingly dances often tail off a but second half, as dancers get tired, this one improved in the second half of the dance. Good though I didn't think it was quite as good as Louise last week.

Talking of her, very good American Smooth and he is really putting character into the dances now.

Claudia's Vienniese was very good.

Ore - you know I don't like Rumba and this didn't help improve that. Didn't like it but then don't like the dance so nothing personal!

Rinder - OK, he is dancing well but the top 4 are pulling clear

Daisy - Pretty good but wasn't totally sold on the dance. OK though

Greg - I thought his Paso was good and certainly on a par with Rinder. Lots of intent and good dancing.

Ed - I thought it would be a car crash and it really wasn't. Not sure there was a lot of salsa in there but he really performed it and the lifts were really good actually, especially after the near disaster of a couple of weeks back. He isn't the best dancer but the entertainment is good.

So dance off was Daisy and Greg. From a scoreboard perspective, once you took Ed out that was right.

For me Greg was much stronger than Daisy though and rightly survived.

Blackpool next week. It is a bigger dance floor and Ed has Jive. Having got to Blackpool this might be it for him. A number of less good dancers in the past have made Blackpool before bowing out.