Abingdon Marathon 2016

Comments

• Thanks. Transfer window has closed so that's not an option.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Hello everyone image. Sorry to be such a late-comer.  I was supposed to be doing Berlin last week but the flight got cancelled at the last minute. That (and some fairly unexpected fitness) means Abingdon goes from being a fun costume world record attempt, to a possible race effort.  I've done 3 Abingdons before…each one 2:58.  Goodness knows what shape I'm in, but did 1:24 yesterday in Bournemouth half after a fairly pedestrian first 3 miles, so am more hopeful than I was back in early-mid summer, when I could barely run with a hip injury.  

My number arrived today, along with a handwritten note from the lovely race organiser wishing me better luck with my transport to this marathon image

I will read back and get to know you all.  LMH - hope your injury clears in time for you to run.  

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    My number also arrived today. Great result in the half Pipes.

Did my last long run with Ben the 401 marathon chap on Saturday and am going to race the Salisbury half this Sunday. Will then look at setting a target for Abingdon.
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Thanks, Millsy image. Saw Ben 401 in the Bournemouth Mara yesterday - can't believe he's nearly done it!  I'll look out for your target time after Sunday as I don't think we'll be too far from each other, at least for the first half.

I have Peterborough half this Sunday (training run) and may try to stick in a long one during this week, if I get time.  Probably not the most sensible thing, but my last long run was 11th September (due to Berlin prep).  I did do 20 miles in total one day just over a week ago, broken into a 12 miler, 5k race, hill reps and an easy 3…does that count as a long one?!!

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I've counted those type of runs before. I often run to parkrun, run it hard and then run back after a coffee in the cafe. As long as the majority of the 20 milers are done without breaks then I don't think it makes too much difference.
  • LNH... hope that things are looking better for you..

It was a bit hot for racing on saturday at teh cardiff half...hope its coilder for abingdon..

still aiming for a sub 5.....after a 2:04 yesterday its looking more promising 

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

Got my number as well yesterday!

Did my last long run on Sunday - 22 miles, having done 10 miles at marathon pace on Saturday. Both runs went very well, and now I'm going to start tapering. Feeling quite confident for the 3:30, just need to try to avoid anyone with any germs for the next 3 weeks!!

• Got home from a shitty Monday at work to see the number waiting for me image

Looking forward to it now. Last long run done on Sunday. A trail marathon which I took very easy and got round in 4:28 so hopefully on to get under four hours.

My legs feel fine after the run - I have felt worse after 10ks so I am sure I was cautious enough. Woke up with a rotten cold yesterday and today but hopefully this is prime time to get it, should be well over it by the 23rd.

• Go on LFSF!

Yes my number arrived today too. Looking forward to it enormously. Think it's the promised cup of hot sweet tea and a massage at the end that will be driving me onward image

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Last long run done on Monday morning (20 miles with 5 at MP... fuelled this time!) which went well. Number is here too image.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

5.4 at MP-15 yesterday and 4.9 recovery this morning ... hoping to do parkrun in the morning.

• parkrun for me this morning  image

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    I was RDing today. Saving myself for the Salisbury half tomorrow.
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭

parkrun yesterday, 20 mile run (with Great Eastern half-marathon in the middle) today…taper time now!  Got a slightly niggly calf, which I have to watch, as it has gone pop twice in the past in the same place. Should be fine with a bit of rest and massage...

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    A PB at the Salisbury half today. 1:24:30 without completely smashing myself. Will keep ticking over for the next two weeks and see how I feel for Abingdon.
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Wow - fantastic running, Millsy!! Congrats on the PB!  How are you planning to taper?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Cheers Pipes. Rest day tomorrow. Recovery run Tuesday, 8ish easy miles Wednesday, 8 with 4 or 5 @ marathon pace Thursday (depending on how legs feel) easy Friday then last longish run on Sat with a parkrun sandwich. Then a very easy last 8 days. Traditionally I do 7 with 3 @MP on the Tuesday before.
  • Hi All,

Not long to go now!! Will read through this thread shortly, but does anyone know if this race has pacers or is a GFA race please?

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

As far as I can see, no pacers, but you can record an official GFA time.

• Just had a quick read through and catch up - good running everyone!

After a few injury niggles I'm very relieved to have made it to the taper. 10k PB last weekend in 37:26 which is good for the confidence. Trying to resist believing the marathon predictors which say I can do sub 3...sub 3:05 is really my target and fear I'll blow up if I try for more.

Apparently it's going to be cups of water and not bottles so I'm currently planning my wife's spectating positions and cycle route on the day so she can hand me bottles. I am rubbish at drinking from cups when running...

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Nice 10k Al! That's quite a bit faster than I've ever managed for 10k.
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭

My taper is currently consisting of no running whatsoever! I've got a cold - typical image . When I get it in my chest, it just sticks.  Back to Plan A, (costume run), if it isn't too late to proceed with my Guinness World Record application. Email sent this morning - just have to see what they say. Not the end of the world. Plan B (sub 3 attempt) was a late decision anyway, as my hip suddenly started behaving and I found some unexpected form.

Hi Al Runs - great 10k time! That's a few seconds faster than my time, which I'm nowhere near at the minute! Surely a sub 3 is possible, if you've had the right sort of build-up for Abingdon? (I don't want to tempt you into starting too fast and blowing up, though!)

• Oh no Pipes, get well soon. Still enough time to be fighting fit before race day. What costume are you going to be wearing and what's the current record?

I am sorely tempted to set out at sub 3 pace but I blew up at mile 20 in my last marathon (London 2013) doing the same thing, and I don't want that to happen again. Although I did get sick the week before London which I'm pretty sure had a big effect on my race. My fitness is perhaps marginally better now. Anyway, all things considered I think I'll set out on 3:03 pace and see how I feel. From reading around I think I probably need a higher weekly mileage before going sub 3 anyway. I've managed an average of about 50 miles per week this training cycle with 3 x 20 miles. Any more and I seem to get injured.

Happy tapering all!

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Thanks, Al Runs.  I will probably go for the costume option anyway now, given that the sub 3 hope was already pushing it slightly.  My costume is a playing card - I've tried to upload a photo - hope it works! 

I do think with your 10k time and history of marathons that it is possible. 3:03 pace sounds like a good compromise to start with - then you can see how you feel at halfway.  When I did sub 3 at Abingdon in 2004, it was off 1:32 at halfway (and a PB of over 3:15).  If you were ill before your 3:03, that would also account for the struggle in the 2nd half.  Plus, my average mpw for last year's sub 3 was 40-50 miles…I thought that was too low because of what other people did/ what textbooks say…but it turned out to be fine. It varies for every individual. 

/members/images/29073/Gallery/IMG_3399.JPG

• Pipes - Feel your pain

Last run was Tuesday and have since been down with a rotten cold smuggled into the house by the tiny ones.

I suppose the timing is better than if it had been a week later.

Hopefully out tomorrow morning to stretch my legs and then hopefully a couple more light runs before Sunday...

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Sub-21 parkrun on Saturday and a 10.45 mile run today, with 8 at MP. Heart rate was good in the MP section ... feeling fit but just don't think I have put in the miles this time, so expecting some pain between 20-26.2. Will do some 400m intervals on Wednesday to keep the legs awake and then REST.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Final longish run done on Saturday. 13 miles with a parkrun in the middle. Could only muster 19:15 flat out so will be taking it easy until sunday.
  • NaderNader ✭✭✭

Did my final 'long' run on Sunday with an 8 miler at approximately MP (left my watch and ran to feel).

4 miles tomorrow, 3 miles Wednesday, rest Thursday and Friday, then a very gentle 2 miles to loosen the legs on Saturday morning.

• Pipes - your 2004 negative split sounds heroic! Must have been feeling good that day! Love the costume by the way. Wind could be an issue...

Who here has run this year's course before and can provide some inside information? Is it really pancake flat and if there are any inclines where are they?

I'm planning a cycle route for my wife so she can see me at as many points as possible (and hand me water bottles). Does anyone know how narrow the road called "Peep O Day Lane" is? In my plan she's going to see me at 22 miles then cycle up past the runners on Peep O Day Lane and continue on the race route until the athletics tracks at the finish. But maybe that road is too narrow to feasibly do that? Can't really tell on Streetview...

Get well / stay well everybody! 

•  

Finally found the Abingdon thread!

Some very fast runners hereI'm just hoping to squeeze in under the 5 hours!Did 2:14 at Oxford Half so entirely possible but will be close.Not liking the weather forecast for Sunday but hopefully the wind will be blowing in the right direction!Think I'm having a dip in confidence as Sunday gets closerimage Excited thoughimage