Abingdon Marathon 2016

Comments

• Al Runs wrote (see)

Pipes - your 2004 negative split sounds heroic! Must have been feeling good that day! Love the costume by the way. Wind could be an issue...

Who here has run this year's course before and can provide some inside information? Is it really pancake flat and if there are any inclines where are they?

I'm planning a cycle route for my wife so she can see me at as many points as possible (and hand me water bottles). Does anyone know how narrow the road called "Peep O Day Lane" is? In my plan she's going to see me at 22 miles then cycle up past the runners on Peep O Day Lane and continue on the race route until the athletics tracks at the finish. But maybe that road is too narrow to feasibly do that? Can't really tell on Streetview...

Get well / stay well everybody! 

The course is pretty flat with a gradual incline leaving the stadium for the mile or so on the road and the last couple of miles has a gradual incline. The underpass in town is very steep but only lasts for 30m downhill and 20m uphill.

Peep O Day Lane is quite narrow at the bottom end near Sutton Courteney and a cyclist at this point may cause a problem. It widens considerably as it gets closer to Abingdon and a bike here wouldn't cause a problem.

There are a few very gentle inclines at other points but nothing you'd call a hill.

• Thanks David - good useful info

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Having run the most recent course in Abingdon last year, I'd agree with everything David Rees said, especially about the Lane being quite narrow in places.

Still ill image. Think I'm starting to feel a little better but the cough is nowhere near running level. Still got a few more days, though.  I've also got a really lovely clubmate who aiming to get to most/ all mile markers to take a photo for me, for my evidence portfolio (and to feed me bottled water, as I find cups a bit useless). That removes some of the stress of having to stop and get out my phone at each mile marker, and ask the nearest spectator to take a snap!

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

Quick question - I know there's no parking at Tilsley Park on the day, but does anyone know if there's any closer parking for blue badge holders than the college?

*EDIT* Had a response from the race director on the matter, no need to respond now.

• Hi everyone, not sure how I haven't found this before!  I'm running on Sunday for my 3rd marathon.  Both previous efforts (3.28 Brighton 2014 and 2.48 Manchester 2016) have been huge positive splits leaving me feeling miserable at the end.  I'm determined to be more sensible on Sunday!  

I've been in really good form and averaging 80 mile weeks over the summer and have run 1.11 for the half twice in the past 2 months which I'm delighed with.  But....I must not go off too fast!  

How much of Abingdon is on pavements and how much on road?  Is it a problem anywhere?  I'm currently trying to organise the family so they can see me on Drayton Road (once on corner of Milton Rd and the other at the bottom of Peep o Day Ln).  Logistics aren't easy to get them all there and then back to the finish! 

If they arrive at either of the car parks at about 11.15 (to get over to see me at the finish) will there be space?  

Thanks for any advice!  

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

Forecast for Sunday looks good, cloudy and cool, albeit with the breeze picking up a bit as the morning goes on.

• Yeah at the moment looks perfect.  BBC showing:

0700 - 7 degrees Light cloud 8mph wind ENE

1000 - 9 degrees Light cloud 9mph ENE

1300 - 11 degrees Sunny Intervals 15mph E

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

If anyone is aiming for 3:29 and wants to run together, feel free to find me at the start. I'm tallish with dark hair and a beard, will be wearing a blue vest and black shorts, and am number 178 image

• Elliot - I'd be surprised if there are any parking spaces in the event parking by then. It's a mixture of road, pavement and a bit of trail (very short), I'd say more pavement than road.

Hope you feel better soon Pipes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Good luck, Elliot - chatted to you at Bicester parkrun a few weeks ago. Hope you have a really positive experience (and NOT a positive split!).  Like LMH, I'd also be surprised if your family could find any parking spaces…although I really don't know.  Like LMH as well, I'd also say more pavement than road.

Good luck with getting your 3:29 as well, Nadar. Not sure at all what time I will do in costume (given that my chest is still rattling and I've not run for nearly 2 weeks), but I might be around that time.

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone's taper is going well. I've just finished my last run before Sunday.

Just trying to avoid picking up an infection now. I'm RDing at parkrun on Saturday so won't be able to avoid people.
  • NaderNader ✭✭✭

Cheers Pipes, guessing you'll be easy to spot at the start! Will come and say good luck - what is the record you're trying to beat?

Got one more run to do, a very short very gentle loosener on Saturday morning. Not playing in my team's hockey match on Saturday afternoon, but going along to captain/bark instructions from the sideline image Then an early night ready for an early start on Sunday!

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Nadar - time to beat is 4:04, so hopefully that will be ok, even though I haven't trained much in the outfit...

• Driving up Saturday afternoon after marshalling at parkrun....hope it stays cold and dry all day..

• Can anyone tell if the water stations have cups or bottles? 

• Thanks for the advice everyone!  Pipes it was great to meet you; thanks for the kind words!  

I'll have to try and find the family a suitable street parking position!

Tapering feels very weird; I've got an easy 20 minutes today and then very gentle 15 mins first thing tomorrow and I'm good to go!  Mainly trying to avoid anyone with a cold (which on trains, underground and in the office is almost impossible!!)

• I think it says cups in the race info Dodgekd.

You'll struggle on the surrounding streets too Elliot, people use those instead of the official car parks to save themselves a five minute walk, you might be better off looking for parking in the town where they could also grab a coffee and see you come through before the underpass then cut through and meet you back at the stadium. I'm not a local but from memory that should be possible - maybe someone with more local knowledge that could help.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Water is in cups, Lucozade (M14.5 and 23.3ish) in bottles.  Elliot- there is no parking at the south end of Peep o Day lane except on the course, but plenty at its north end.  Also be aware that there are road closures (for the race) at Dratyon rd/ Milton Rd junction.  Its a lethal place without them.

Pipes- I'll be at my usual spot with a camera.  See you Sunday!

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to seeing you out there, Old Shadowfax - thanks for any pics you take! Are you also happy to fill in a witness statement for me, please? image
  • Of course Pipes!  I did it for Jess B last year and got some of my photos of her published.

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Thank you, OS!

Managed my first run in 2 weeks today - half a parkrun (before barcode scanning duties). Chest still a bit tight but I'll take the risk and keep it relatively slow. 

Good luck everyone running!

• good luck everyone tomorrow.....I'm heading of in a few minutes towards Abingdon....hope the weather tomorrow is the same as here this morning and sunny...my favourite running weather

• All the best. Just arrived in Abingdon too. Time for some dinner at the bar.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Good luck everyone! Alarm set for 5am.
  • Morning all.

Good Luck image

• Good morning and best of luck everyone

• very happy with 03:51 and a bit image

Put into perspective when I was struggling around mile 17/18 and the marshalls told me the leaders had just entered the stadium!!

But very happy with sub-4 image

Hope every one else had a good day out

• Good work LessFat!

Very very happy with my first sub 3.

3:05 was the target but felt pretty good up to 18 then just held on for dear life and managed a final surge to sneak under 3 hours. 2:59:14. Great day out all round.

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

Managed 3:38. Had been hoping for sub-3:30 but given it's a 6 minute PB I'm pretty happy. Felt really good at 19 miles and started pushing on a bit, but then at 23 miles my legs started to cramp up badly. Kept going with the occasional walking break when my muscles seized up, but got back running after a short walk each time.

When I got to the last 400 and in full view off the crowd I was determined not to stop to walk despite my muscles screaming at me - then at 200 metres left my legs completely died on me and I fell flat on my face. All I could think about was that my wife and parents would be having kittens thinking I'd collapsed, but I slowly got back to my feet and finished the lap with cheers from the crowd!

Feeling very sore now but good day overall, and in case she reads on here a shout out to Carly for being my running buddy for the first 19 miles, and for hanging around at the finish line for me to come across!

• that was so well marshalled and organised.....well done to the organisers.

I wasn't trained enough to do this race justice.but needed to tick off a sub 5 hr qualifier and managed to do that with a 4:39 something...

bit saddened to see gel wrappers thrown down on route......there were loads of aid stations to leave them at and so many marshalls you could ask to bin them for you.why spoil the countryside..