sub 4 hour group,if anyone wants to get together

Comments

• V-rap, don't be so hard on yourself.

My personal trainer (who has done 3 flm) swears by the philosophy that if you buind on the long runs first and formost you can't go wrong.

Mind you he also supports Spurs.
  • Just an honest reflection on where I am now, CA.

There are three months to go, I know I'm capable of eight-minute-miling (though maybe not of stringing 26 eight-minute-miles together), I haven't trained consistently since last May, and this year there's a fair prospect that I'll be able to fit in four training runs of 20 miles or more before the big day, whereas I did one last year and...well, all I'll say about FLM2002 is that I got a medal and wasn't quite last.

Gotta keep up with the whippetty Wabbit!
  • V-rep, at least you have been there and done it. This is going to be my first, never considered running before, so I have no idea what will happen but i will give it my best shot.

I have to say the support from this thread does help, one thing I have learnt is what friendly people runners seem to be.

CA
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Oi CA I am a spurs supporter too!!!
    ps I have endurance
    pps I have my right fist over my heart

I heard that CA, something about you have to have endurance to support spurs......

I heard that too!
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • Wabo, I can't talk I spent the last 39 years (well a bit less, when I was old enough to understand) supporting Charlton now that's endurance.

I would have my right fist over my heart when I watch them but I normally have my head in my hands.
  • Well that's my lot for another week, off to do my 7 miles on the treadmill (may try two or three of the Yassos), I will let you all know how the Saturday long run goes on Monday.

Have a good weekend all of you, those who are running good luck, those who are injured
    rest well.

CA
  • CA, Couldn't agree more about the support from this thread. This will also be my first marathon as I only started running in May last year and the forums have been of immense help.

As V-rap says, there's still just under 3 months to go so there's time enough to work on the little things (like endurance, pace, etc.)

One of my concerns is that I'm fine running on cool/cold winter's evenings but I don't handle the heat very well so I'm not sure how I'll fare come April.

Still, how bad can it be? ;-)
  • Hello all, welcome to the newcomers...i've been lurking around cuz i really don't have much to contribute compared to these sub-4 machines!

Crazy Addick, i'm doing the watfird half...my first race since the Wyvern Christmas Cracker.
    stretched out the legs on the treadmill last night, first time in a long time. nice to get off the "low-impact" running contraptions and actually run. can't wait till saturday so i can actually run in the park..then try a lap around RP to see whats what.
    funny thing...the ITB seems to be holding up, BUT there is a weird pain/strain on my inside left knee. It doesnt really *hurt* and seems to appear and dissapear no matter what distance...
    Is it possible it is just a muscle strain and not some horrible ligament/tendon (the brutal injuries to revocer from) injury?
    I sure hope so, cuz i feel fine!
    TWELVE WEEKS? yikes.
    JPVD.
  • 7 miles on the treadmill? Respect!
  • Thanks to Rabbit for having the courage to ask what Yasso's are - and for Higs for the answer - it livened up my lunch hour no end today

I used two laps of Regents Park running track to do mine (386 meters a lap so I used a middle lane to add on a few extra meters...) and the answers were:

- with each repetition run off of 5 minutes (so the quicker I ran the longer the rest I got...)

Yippee! I have a new hobby called Yasso's - and I still get to jog past the giraffe house too :-)
  • Nice work benicetome......pace and endurance.
  • Afternoon

How are we all doing?? fit and healthy?

Percy how is the calf?

7 miles tempo run for me today in 59 minutes must have been my porridge;-) knocked 4 minutes off my time from last week!

Benicetome

Well done on your session keep up the good work;-)
    ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • HigsHigs ✭✭✭
    Afternoon.

Yes, all's well here. Did 18 this morning quite comfortably. This is the beginning of the big push - 20

Higs
  • WP - Calf still asking for rest so I'm being sensible (surely not) and taking the weekend off and will review on Monday.

Nice going Poppy, that's the pace. Just keep extending the tempo run length and you're there. Porridge power.

After last Wednesday's exploits I'm thinking 21 miles in 3 hours is probably the target...

Looking good Higs.
  • Percy-So glad you are being sensible tis very hard though;-)

Good luck on 21 miles in 3 hours;-) I am hoping to do 21 miles in under 3.30 this week !!

Will try a tempo 10 miler tomorrow aiming for under 90 minutes----yeah to porridge power!!

Higs

You are indeed doing well good luck on push to 20 miler
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Evening all.

Percy - sorry to hear that your calf is still playing up. Hope that another day of rest sorts it out.

Managed 10 3/4 miles in 86 minutes this morning. (I think that my watch might not be keeping time correctly but I'll log the it anyway!)

Ironically, the post-run massage hurt far more than the run itself but I'm sure that it'll help.

Well done to all who ran today and best of luck to all who are running tomorrow.
  • Lots of good running and resting done today. Well done!

I've got 14(ish) miles tomorrow and will be quite happy with anything under 2hrs 45min.
  • Good Luck raptor with Long run today!!

Good luck everyone with training for today

Just back from a 7 miler fast tempo run was to be 10 but my calf was in pain from the start so luck to complete 7 and in the same time as yesterday so well pleased!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Nice one WP! (and well done for being smart enough to cut it short.) Hope that ice, etc. sorts the calf out quickly.

I'm having a rest day today after yesterday's exertions but there's still a temptation to do "just a couple of miles"...
  • I was wondering if anyone knew the new stretch for the iliotibial band. Apparently the old one (crossing one leg behind the other with hips moving to the side) is not thought to be so effective. Anyone got any ideas? Help would be much appreciated. I know someone last year on the flm thread put a good one down ,but I can't find it.

Cheers
  • Kinky,

Have a look at the following site :

http://www.itbs.info/html/body_stretches.html

There are a variety of stretches on there. Hopefully one of them might ring a bell/do the trick.

Cheers.
  • JTS

I know what you mean about banging a few miles out(I used to do it)....but I have had strict instructions quality not quantity!!

Well done on yesterdays session a good time and glad you are resting today!!!

I have massage tomorrow after work I am really looking forward to it;-)

Good site you posted I too suffer now and again so all printed off for when it attacks again!!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • I did it! Today's loops in Richmond brought me to 90km running in one week. That's at least 15km more than I've ever done before - and I've also cycled more than 120 miles and swam more than 5km in the last 7 days.

Yippee!

And it's all just as well, seeing as this week coming looks like a totally miserable one for being outside - and also this week is our office Chirstmas party?!

Now where's that tv remote gone? I've got some serious lounging around to do.

P.S. Sorry for sounding so smug!
  • Well done. Can't think I'll ever manage 90k in a week through physical & time restraints.Must be v satisfying. Seem to plodding through the RW 3 45 schedule comfortably, though had a 6M XC race today so had to substitute week 3 for week 4 re long run. Had a XC race Wed as well & one next Wed. Was expecting to fade fm all the extra mileage but seems to have toughened me up & had good races both days.Next week going out with someone who goes miles. Schedule says 11.5M. I expect it'll be half that again. Oh well set me up for the 30k race a fortnight later
  • I don't think I'll ever do a 90km week. Apart from the time (and hence domestic conflict) it would involve, I have a habit of melting away at an alarming rate when I do 30+ mile weeks consistently. Some people suit the skeletal long-distance-runner look. I don't.

My 14-miler today was quite shuffly due to sore glutes and sundry other aches from BodyPump yesterday, but I managed to do it at 11-minute-miling on average, which is a minute per mile faster than last week's long run. All good practice for the second half of the marathon - keeping going with tired muscles.

Tomorrow my line will be "I am NOT waddling, I am trialling a new form of bipedal locomotion".
  • Morning Everyone, just brought myself up to speed with all the postings since Friday, well done to you all, some great training put in.

Well I tried Yasso’s on Friday not sure I got the right idea, did them on a treadmill, 1-8x3.45, 9th- 3.37 10th – 3.29 with 2min rests, will try them again this week however.

Saturday’s long run went ok 16.5 mile in 9.30 min miles, felt tired after Fridays Yasso’s and night out at Mamma Mia, but I was happy to get through it.

This week looks like it could be a lot of treadmill work if the weather forecasters are right about the snow, will do 11 miles tonight on the road however followed by a training session with my trainer.

Looking forward to Sunday’s first test in a race.
  • Which race, CA?

I am rather sore today, but once I've got used to doing weights again it shouldn't be a problem. Don't know why I bother - no matter how much iron I pump, I'm never going to have pecs and a six-pack.
  • WaboWabo ✭✭✭
    Morning all. Did no running at all due to my sports physio saying no way - twisted ankle - so I went and watched my mates do Parliament Hill on Saturday. Must say if I could get out of one that was the one!
    I am moving house this week so I think my running will suffer no matter what the ankle feels like:((((
    Maybe I may drop into another thread soon - where's that penguin......
    Did 8 miles on bike though! And going water aerobics or swim later so all is not lost!
    Well done all you peeps.
    possunt quia posse videntur - we can because we know we can 
  • V-rap, Watford half on Sunday, I know what you mean about the weight training, still keep hoping.

Wabo, sorry to hear about your twisted ankle, I hope it improves soon.