Robin Hood 100 - anyone doing this?

Hi all,

This is a new race but partly run on the Dukeries ultra course

Has anyone had any experience of the Dukeries 30/40 and can give me any insight to the route? It's partly canal towpath and part Sherwood Forest so you'd think pretty hard to get lost. However, I got lost on the Windsor Ultra - along the Thames path!!!

The organisers are HOBO pace, again - anyone done any of their races?

Any info would be helpfulimage

Comments

• Hi, I did the Dukeries 40 this year and it was pretty well marked.  The organiser Ronnie did a great job of that - if I remember correctly there was frequent tape, arrow signs and pink spraypaint on the ground to make sure you don't get lost - and I am terrible when it comes to getting lost!!  

A few people did get lost and I nearly did, but that was through lack of concentration rather than lack of signage.  Ronnie even tells you that at the briefing - if you get lost then it's your fault for not paying attention image  So, as long as you pay attention then you will find your way around.  It's a lovely course and pretty flat.  At the Dukeries 40, there wasn't too much choice of food at the checkpoints if I remember, but we brought enough anyway to keep us going.  

I almost signed up to the Windsor Ultra this year! Did the Stour Valley Path instead and thought that would be well marked, but I got lost and did an extra 5km in that and almost missed the cutoff time.  

• Did you do it purple? 

• booktrunk - I ended up doing it if you wanted to know more?
  • Emma: well done, how did it go? 

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

How good is this under foot? Conscious canal towpath and trail can get pretty dicey at times, especially if it rains?

• It's in september, so at the end of summer so should be good underfoot, but it says on the webpage about the conditions and saying one of the sections is through rutted fields. 

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Hi booktrunk - did you make it to the LLCR130?

Have you run any of the Robin Hood route before? Where on the website did you find the deeper detail about the route? I have looked on the big page talking about everything but can't find reference to those fields? Up front it says in bold "This is a fully marked ultra on nice underfoot, runnable and scenic trails". So it is drawing me in, but I'd like to know more. Suppose I should actually visit the area if I really want to know, but it's a 3 hour drive there and back - sounds like a weekend reccy is in order.

• No haven't made anything image my knee is useless i've not ran for a month been having physio at my local hospital, and had a cortisone injection last week, have two more weeks of non running, and then very slow build up to try to get the knee used to it.

NHS won't pay to dig into it as it's good enough for me to plod through a marathon even though it's painful so, got to give it a long rest before starting again and building slowly to let it adjust and see what it can take, or pay for someone to do a scan and then possible pay for someone to dig in there and rummage around.  But the NHS physio said well you'll always find something on the cat scan that's not perfect and can be removed / trimmed etc.. So a bit stuffed at the moment.  So from end of this week allowed on a bike.  two weeks of gentle cycling then start to run again, but really short 10 minutes 4 times a week and then slowly build up.  If it hurts then drop back to 10 and keep slowly building again.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Blimey booktrunk; sounds terrible. So are you doing knee strengthening stuff? Touch wood I haven't had any problems like this but I know you need to work on the muscles above and below the problem area to keep things firing properly. Hope you can come through this soon.

Have you got a link to the more detailed route condition description for the RH100?

• So knee rotation stuff literally moving my foot around a lot, and end of this week back to squats and cycling, then running beginning of November, My own fault hurt my knee 18 months ago and just kept running and limping through races, should probably have done this back then.

• tmholttmholt ✭✭✭

Re the route/terrain: As you say, the race uses the Dukeries Ultra course, and there are several blogs (and even a video) giving an insight into the terrain for that.

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Thanks tm image - Oh no! They are running through water! I am looking for a "fast" 100 miler, not that I am fast, I just don't want my feet shredded into pain by constant wetness and devilishly stony/rutted/muddy/slippy terrain. Maybe I should move on and look for a road race.

• If you want 'easy' look at Canal ultras.
  • lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

They do vary though booktrunk, Rochdale is pretty good but tops out at 100k. If you want 100 miles or more then you are into GUCR or LLCR and a lot of the terrain on those is Robin Hoodish. I will keep looking; spotted Connemara which is all road image, but wanted something on the GB mainland if possible and good under foot. Maybe the only options are abroad? I hear there are some all road 100s in the USA image

• There ar at least two 24h races in England that take place on a 400m track... if you want fast do them image one in Croydon and the other somewhere else in London. Google em image 

• lowrezlowrez ✭✭✭

Hmm; I suppose they are an option image. I'd like to get from "somewhere" to "somewhere" if you see what I mean, although both Robin Hood and Connemara involve loops too and you end up back where you started. I don't plan to do too many of these so need to pick carefully. Fast isn't the major criteria its; good ground under foot. I suppose if you get that then things are going to be faster too than struggling through bog or over rutted and grassy and stony surfaces. Don't want much do I - ha ha!