Abingdon Marathon 2016

1234568»

Comments

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Well done everyone. Al, you were 2 seconds behind me so I may have shaken your hand at the end!

I got to half way on target and feeling good but it felt like it was uphill and into the wind all the way back and just scraped a sub 3 with 2:59:12. A well organised race but was a bit disdained at the supporters that only cheered their own club's runners and blanked everyone else, especially the bloke with the big black and red flag!!

In all a good day.
  • most of the supporters cheered me on... by teh second lap though most had left to go to teh finish  image

great running there Millsy and Al Runs....

Nadar...good PB...

• I managed 3.19, so having achieved my main aim of a sub 3.30 I now officially retire from Marathon running!

I can't think I'll ever top that, and frankly it hurt a lot! Collapsed just past the finish, but then remembered a friend did the same at the end of the London Marathon and the medics took him in and put a thermometer up his bum, which motivated me enough to summon enough energy to wander off and collapse out of sight of medics, and then I was sick.

All fine now, but don't want to go through all that again!

• After worrying about the 5 hr cut off finished in 4:45:11 so very pleased!Lovely Marshalls but 2 laps hard especially seeing the second lap mile markers when still on first lap!!Ran 20 miles before a 10 second walk at water station.Chuffed with that!Ran u the underpass and all the way to the finish.A great dayimage

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Well done, susiebe1, TheseSticks, serens nos, Millsy, Nader, LessFatStillFat and Al Runs!  Al - knew (without knowing you) that sub 3 was there for the taking - really delighted you got it!

TheseSticks - we must have finished near each other.  I did 3:18:54 but started a bit behind the start line.  I was the playing card.  

What an amazing day!  I think I smiled and waved all the way round.  Certainly a very different experience to running it for a PB.  I'd definitely recommend a costume run.

If you're reading Old Shadowfax, thanks a million to you (and the rest of the committee) for all your time in organising such a wonderful event.

Legs are mashed today.

• Pipes - do you now hold the playing card world record?? That headwind in the last few miles must have been fun! Thanks for your encouraging words before the race about sub3. I honestly wasn't really entertaining it as a possibility until you egged me on! I feel absolutely over the moon.

It really was an amazing day. Loads of great support for a small marathon, both for local runners and out of towners. Well done Abingdon!

Legs probably hurting today but not really noticing it among the euphoria : )

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭

Really glad my words helped to egg you on, Al Runs image

Yes, that should be a record by about 46 mins, subject to Guinness World Records people being happy with evidence. Got to sort through the photos - one from each mile marker and many from mid-race. This is one of my favourites so far...

/members/images/29073/Gallery/Pic_from_the_front_(good_one).jpg

• Awesome photo! Big smile and leaving everyone else for dead. Congratulations world record holder!

• Well done Pipes!  Yes I was just ahead of you for most of the race (the amount of cheering you got I knew exactly who was behind me! It was great hearing all the cheers you got - you were very popular!), and you went past me just before the underpass.  Tried to keep up with you but my legs were shot by then!

• Pipes.. ant believe I didn't see you at the start.....too fast for me to see you on route. ...that is a great photo..

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

3:31 for me and a PB, although disappointed not to get a sub-3:30. All was good up to 22 miles and then I started to slow between 22 and 23 ... never hit The Wall but the low mileage caught up with me in the end and my pace dropped by about 50 s/mi for the last 4.2. I did put in a decent surge on the track though and re-gained quite a few places.

Good event - parking too far away and those tiny cups of water were not sufficient (was forced to take a bottle of lucosade at a later station just to keep hydrated), Otherwise great!

• What a fantastic day - I had gold, silver and bronze times;

Bronze - a PB, so under my previous 3:13:39

Silver  - sub-3:10

Gold - GFA of sub 3:05

I struggled to decide on my strategy over the days leading into the marathon but decided to try 7 min/miles and managed to hold that through to the end, a fairly even split and finishing time of 3:02:21....

So happy and not really sunk in that I've got the Good For Age image

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

image outstanding! Gold level smashed.image

• Smashed it Chownsie!

Oh yeah did anyone else notice that the 21 mile marker was a quarter of a mile further down the road than it should have been??

Still buzzing...

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Al, yes I was thinking that. My splits went up to a 9:45 and then back down to a 4:10.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Yep ... I assumed I'd missed the 21 sign ... and then it appeared just before 11 minuteimage. A painless version of The Wall? Relieved when 22 came at 4:47.

• From memory the 14 mile marker was out by a bit last year, sounds like it was another fantastic race, may look at returning in a couple of years, the home of my pb

• Delighted you enjoyed the race- some great times.  And yet another world record set at Abingdon too- well done Pipes!

Nader- is this you?

/members/images/433328/Gallery/Abingdon_marathon_1258.JPG

Well done for completing the last 200m though

• NaderNader ✭✭✭

Oh dear, yes, that is me... was rather hoping the cameras missed that image

• Shadowfax - don't suppose you have any more photos or vids from the final track lap? 

• Al- yes I do but photos not video.  Still haven't finished sorting them all out.  But message me you number and I'll have a look

• Thank you! My number was 541 and finish time 2:59:14

• Well done everyone!  I really enjoyed the day and have a lot of great memories.  My race didn't quite go to plan, but there are a lot of positives to take!  

I ran 2.42; a big PB of almost 7 minutes!  Unfortunately my plan to run an even split failed miserably; I crossed halfway at 1:15.30 trotting along nicely with the eventual winner Paul, I was feeling really good until about 16 then Paul pulled away from me and I started to struggle a bit.  I kept focused and pushed on, but as the miles ticked on my vision got blurrier and blurrier!  That is not a good feeling!  I'd taken gels sensibly and tried to stay hydrated (the rubbish cups don't make that easy though) but it wasn't enough.  

I was very fortunate to have brilliant support from friends and family all the way round the course and was grateful to a lot of strangers to cheering me too!  

It's a great event and I really enjoyed running in a really chilled out low key event.  Unfortunately, there was a big error by the lead cyclists who took the leaders (about 200m in front of me at the time) down the wrong right turning at about 6 miles (apparently it was last year's course).  The two lads ended up having to loop back a bit further on and rejoin the course.  They both ran further than a marathon on GPS, but the main issue will have been the disruption to their rhythm!

I also wasn't particularly impressed by the water stations, cups are so difficult to take cleanly from the (excellent) volunteers, often I'd be left with only a mouthful of water.  At one of the stations about 10 miles the lad in front of me failed to get a cup first time and then took the one I was aiming for, there wasn't enough water in it for both of us!  

All in all though a really good race and one I'd recommend.