Options

Low Carb (high fat) Pirates

Comments

• Options
    Hidden Benefits of LCHF #2

Probably too much info, BUT felt it was worth mentioning. When I was eating carbs I had trouble with constipation. So much so I took medication to help. I assumed things would get worse on lchf...........how wrong I was. Now off meds and all going well, so to speak.
  • Options

Yayayayay image awesome news NB!  Got my first ultra next weekend - should be interesting image tried to find some rice syrup in the local supermarkets they didn't stoke it - so going with the baby food and naked bars - thought about using honey but don't have time to experiment yet so going with what I know image 

• Options
    Buttercup, you would need to go to a health food store for RBS.
  • Options

Nicky Bear - well done. Sounds like its going well and to have the kids on board is great. 

Suckitup - good luck next weekend. Which ultra are you doing?

Got Abingdon marathon next weekend. Going to use the tailwind products and take some jelly babies I think.

• Options
    NB - glad to see its going well for the whole family. My son doesn't easy much bread or sweets and had started to eat more fruit so it's all good..

Got my VLM gfa acceptance through so after my double marathon weekend it will be straight into London training.. Aim is to break the 2:45 barrier..
  • Options

IL - well done on your double marathon weekend. Where was that? And good luck with training for London.

Yet another refusal for me and I reckon I need to be about 70 to get a GFA and thats without slowing down between now and thenimage

• Options
    SS - I havn't run the double yet. It's on the 12th and 13th November. Next year I go up an age group so it becomes easier for me to get a place..
  • Options

Lol I got two rejection emails from VLM! image SS I'm doing the Humanity Direct 30M Ultra that leaves from Tring and runs around the chilterns - should be fun image best of all I get to sleep in my bed the night before image

• Options

SS. I havent thought about fuel for Abingdon...I think I will start adding some carbs into my food from Thursday and have my traditional fish and chips the night before without bread and sausages for breakfast without bread again as I think its the bread that is bloating me in races.....

havent thought about the day apart from a few sweets and some gels...if you add tailwind into water .how would you do this when the drinks are handed out in cups

• Options

Seren - Not really sure about the tailwind. My bottle holds about 750ml and I guess I'm hoping I won't need any more but will take another packet anyway. Maybe tip a cup of water in the bottle as I run past a couple of water stations. Don't know. And then just jelly babies. Thats all I've done in training so don't want to try anything else. Will have jacket potato for lunch the day before but no carbs the night before or for breakfast. I'm on weather watch now and trying to decide what to wear.image

Buttercup - good luck for the weekend. Definitely good to sleep in your own bed

• Options

Can't rely on weather...went for a walk today with friends...weather forecast said rain all day....we walked in beautiful sunshine and I was in T-shirt and carried my jumper and full waterproofs..

I don't want to carry a bottle with me..,.so will just have to see how it goes....

• Options

I'm really wimpish on cold weather and getting worse the older I get. Don't forget I just bought a fleece, rain Mac and umbrella in Mallorca image must man up. Don't normally run with water but have a bottle belt that I'm ok running with. I'm beginning to get aches and pains. All imaginary no doubt image

• Options

I have a tiny touch of a cold - took drugs hopefully that'll be the end of it image 

• Options

Morning all.  Well done Nicky Bear, sounds like some amazing changes taking place image

Good luck ladies with your races! And men image

I ran the Brighton 10 on a coffee, a tiny bit of a minging flapjack and 2 shot blocks.  So even though I'm not fat adapted yet, showed me I didn't need much!

I've not been as focussed on LCHF as I need to be - I think I'm doing well but if I'm honest too many bits creeping in here and there.  So now taking it one day at a time, and focussing on the right things.  I need to commit fully, as I know i'll reap the benefits.  If anyone hasn't read Grain Brain by David Perlmutter, give it a read.  Bloody shocking and is helping me focus my mind on why I need to do this!!

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm not a pirate but hopefully still welcome here. I 'know' ButterCup and it's her fb feed that has alerted me to LCHF and finding this thread that I have now read from start to finish. And sorry for the lengthy post.

Bit of background. I've always been active; volleyball, running, hiking, mountain biking, cycling, dancing etc and never been overweight until I hit my early 30's. Not exactly sure what happened but think it was a combination of things. First moving further away from work and commuting for 2 years, hormonal changes possibly and eating as much as my bf does. So over the last 4-5 years I have reached my heaviest weight ever, which is about 2-3 stone more than acceptable. And as a shortie 5'4", it shows. (Yes, profile picture is from 6 years ago).

I've never done diets. Starving myself is not something I've ever gone for. I always start by eating healthily again and then this goes to pot at some point with chocolate and crisps starting to creep into my lunch daily again. We pretty much always cook from scratch but we do love pasta meals, and there's always potatoes or rice. I’ve never really properly tried to get rid of the weight as although it makes my hobbies and exercise bit more difficult, I can still do them and I still don’t ‘see’ myself as fat. I know I am but only photos really hit it home how much I’ve changed.

I’ve been gathering information, read the What the Fat book, checked Diet Doctor website, recipes on Pinterest etc. I’m planning on doing the two-week challenge. I don’t think long term I want to keep really low carb but willing to give this ago and hopefully shifting some weight. Bf isn’t fully aboard but as long as I make the food, he’s quite happy to eat what is in front of him. Already tried cauliflower mash with sausages.

Couple of question though. On recipes do you add all carbs, sugar and fibre to get the whole carb content? Is gravy from granules ok? How do you know what % should you go for between carbs/fat/protein? I do log food in MFP, do you have to have the premium version to set your own macros? Is it worth if for £7.99 a month?

Thanks and looking forward to keeping up to date with this thread.

• Options
    Mikasa - welcome to the group. There is a wealth of experience and knowledge here and I'm sure any questions will be answered. I used to rely on carbs for fuel but I changed to LCHF last November and I will never go back.. It took a bit to get my head around the whole fat is good idea but the benifits are so worth it..

SS - have you considered a camelbak or something similar rather than carrying a bottle? I found using 1 double sachet with 700ml of water worked because 500ml mate it too sweet.
  • Options

For those of you who do facebook a few of us hang out here too

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lowcarbtriathlete/

• Options
    mikasa wrote (see)

Couple of question though. On recipes do you add all carbs, sugar and fibre to get the whole carb content? Is gravy from granules ok? How do you know what % should you go for between carbs/fat/protein? I do log food in MFP, do you have to have the premium version to set your own macros? Is it worth if for £7.99 a month?

Thanks and looking forward to keeping up to date with this thread.

Mikasa, most people subtract fibre from carbs to give net carbs and this is the figure they go on.

Regarding ration it really is an individual thing I try to stay between 5 and 10 % for carbs  with between 20 and 25 % protein and the rest fat. I never use MFP so cant comment I just kept a food diary for the first 3 months .

As for gravy granules again its a personal thing, For me no I don't eat any grains at all and it will certainly have wheat flour in it but if you aren't concerned by that if it fits your Macros than its all good.

• Options

Ithought diet doctor just talked about total carbs...or is my memory failing

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

We use bbc good food website a lot for recipes and all recipes have carbs, sugars and fibre separately.

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭
    Duda the Mutineer wrote (see)

Thanks Duda. I've joined and waiting for acceptance.

• Options
    mikasa wrote (see)
    Duda the Mutineer wrote (see)

Thanks Duda. I've joined and waiting for acceptance.

Either Buttercup or myself should have added you by now as there are no request pending. image

• Options
    mikasamikasa ✭✭✭

Thanks, yes you've added me.

• Options
    SuckItUp - Good luck with the ultra. Shame about VLM. My hubby got the rejection email on Thursday evening. Don't know why they couldn't put him out him misery at start of week. He was almost stalking the postie by Wednesday.

IL - Congrats on VLM place. Nice to have something to look ahead to.

SS - Good luck with Abingdon.

Now that hubby knows he's not going to London in April we can plan other Spring Marathon. Decisions, decisions!
  • Options
    Iain, VLM will be gray training for Outlaw. I'm in to perhaps we can meet I'l at the expo. As I guess you will be starting abit ahead of me. I would love to just get under 3 hrs but will be happy with 3:14 to save me from the ballot.
  • Options

We are trying to empty the freezer so are having to use our imagination a bit for recipes...found a lovely trout in the back which cooked up lovely yesterday...Wednesday is always a Chios night...so I will have a few sweet potato chips instead....

• Options
    Duda - meeting up at the expo sounds like a good I idea. I was going to suggest a meet with the 3 of us just so that we aren't complete strangers on race day.
  • Options

Good plan Iain, we'll sort something out via email or Facebook message as its more reliable than the RW message service.

• Options

Its unlikely I will be in London for VLM, have a great day out, maybe we could arrange something for the three of us at another time!  Good luck with the 2:45 target Iain, that is awesome!

• Options

Hi,

2.5 months into Keto and so far my weight is down 28 pounds (44 pounds in total lost since April from 18st 10lb to 15 st 8lb).  My GF has also lost close to 2 stone.  I am now wearing smaller clothes than when I was 14 years old!

Previously I have had a long battle with weight and although very fit I was finding it impossible to shift weight.   I was eating well – but in hindsight I was consuming way too much in the way of sugar and carbs.  I was cycling 250 miles a week, permanently hungry and putting on weight!

I absolutely love this way of eating.  My GF has some arthritis issues and polycystic ovaries so we had been recommended cutting sugar and carbs to reduce inflammation markers.  I had also become aware of hclf in the long distance cycling forums (which is my choice of poison!).  My GF has had incredible results with lack of pain and stomach issues.   I am losing centimeters off my body each weak and fuelling rides is a thing of the past.   I am comfortable on fasted rides up to 8 hours and the biggest benefit is I have no urge to feed as soon as I return or in the following day or weak.

High Fat diet isn't a miracle or a fad imo ... it is just a very effective way to take sugar and carbs out of your diet.  For me its a way of resetting a bad diet and starting again without a high sugar/carb dependency.  The majority of my diet hasn’t changed.   Im still eating all the stuff I love – Ive just lost the stuff I ‘thought’ I loved.

I was completely addicted to sugar and carbs.  I think I have kicked the sugar and bread habits now.  Its staggering how much sugar I was consuming before even in 'good' foods and I am completely shocked by how little I really needed to carb load or fuel a ride with sugar.  

I do have an issue though that i would appreciate some opinions on.   Has anyone else found their chest and breathing become quite heavy at times of inactivity?   By “heavy” I mean I am sometimes very aware of my breathing, it feels a little shallow at times and I have also experienced some light headedness.  There are no chest pains or anything – its just a feeling of slightly struggling to take each breath in fully.    Ive had this in bouts since beginning the diet and I know from doing 5:2 before this that dizziness can happen during the adaption – but the feeling of shortness of breath has worried me.

I occasionally feel as if my heart rate is up too…. But when measured my resting heart rate is pretty stable still (around 55 -60bpm) and bizarrely I feel no issues when working out, on long rides or short harder efforts.   My heart rate on the bike during efforts and recovery is normal and I have no breathing worries.  

I have done some reading on this and it seems common in KETO and the solution people mention is to consume more sodium/magnesium.   Since last week I have started adding salt to everything and taking 400g of magnesium per day.  I have definitely noticed an improvement but again today I feel slightly unsatisfied with each breath while sat at my desk – its quite an odd feeling and I am now not sure if im imagining it or becoming fixated on it now?

Anyone else experienced similar?   I have made a docs appointment as I would like to be checked professionally but no surprise – its 3 weeks away.