Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

ryantilley - Welcome to the thread!

Since it's your first marathon I'd look to find a plan that best works for you in terms of running experience and how regularly you'll be able to train. All marathons are a learning experience, but in particular your first will teach you a lot about what works for you and what doesn't. The Hal Higdon plans are common starting steps for many, as he offer varying plans depending on your starting fitness level Hal Higdon Training

That's a fantastic time for your first half. There's certainly speed in those legs.

• LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Welcome to all the newcomers on this thread. And shout-outs to those winning new PBs. Great work.

kenno - I'm also likely to be doing Southend marathon in March and I'm using it as a training run for Paris. I have offered my services as the 4h30 pacer but not confirmed that they want pacers yet. I paced a half for the same organisers in the summer.

Whether I do it or not there will be lots of friends taking part or supporting and it goes almost past my front door (four times)!

• Kenno you talked me into it!!

List fairy, could you put me down for; Milton Keynes 20 miles March 5th & Milton Keynes full marathon 1st May. Thanks.

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Hi list fairy could you put me down for Dewsbury 10K on 5th February
  • Hi List Fairy (and thank you for your dedication!)

Could you put me down for:

12th November - Cheshire 10K

5th March - St Helens 10K

12th March - North London Half Marathon

• Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Hi list fairy, could you please put me down for Brass Monkey (HM) on 15/1/17. Had to get up at 5 am this morning to enter - I was 851 in the queue when it opened at 6am and all 1750 places sold within 35 minutes of opening. More nerve racking than the actual race .... one of my favourites too in York, flat, PB there is 92:43 and usually -2degrees and doubtful (they hire their own gritters) sometimes. Great shirts and can hang indoors inside the racecourse pavilion with toilets 15 mins before start.

So on being up early today managed an all time PB at parkrun!
  • kennokenno ✭✭✭

PARIS 2017 list

Yellow pen (3:15):
    9672 - Steve Duffy 2
    10207 -  Maccatheknacca

Blue Pen (3:30):
    17108 – MattL
    17165 – LloydR
    20620 - Stuchbury
    20621 – Kenno
    22198 – Mahdu2

Purple pen (3:45):
    29172 - Baldstan
    29451 - Pistol101
    29460 – Yer Maj
    29643 - AspirantRunner
    29691 – Eggyh73
    33449 - ryantilley

Green pen (4hr):
    43209 – Nells
    43640 - andrewr123
    43794 - Never Give Up Girl
    43975 - Franz Wanzenboeck
    44052 - Betzza
    44674 – Benign Murmurring

Pink pen (4:30+):
    68714 – Tired Legs
    69792 – Kirsten B
    68965 - RoddyMac

To find your number/pen - log in to your ASO account - , there is a large red box to the left of the screen, click 'my order' and your details are there. You should be able to change your pen on the day if required. Someone will post on the forum when the Convocation (a piece of paper that you HAVE to take with you to the Expo) is ready to download, normally a couple of weeks before the race.

• kennokenno ✭✭✭

Morning everyone.

Christopher Field - I haven't entered MK yet - not sure if I will until nearer the time.  I have an on/off relationship with running so don't want to look past Paris yet!  I only entered this year a couple of days after Paris and there were still places.  I am very tempted though and it's my birthday weekend too.

LloydR - That's good to know.  I'm going to have a crack at sub 4 in Southend, but use it also to gain some experience.  I've started my training and have put in 2 20 milers (very slow ones).  I'm trying to get a good base of endurance in before Christmas and see where I am in January.  Shifting some wood too which I hope will make a difference.

Mandydebs - if you let me know your number I'll add you to the list

I've had a good week of training with a 20 miler on Saturday.  My Achilles problem appears to have gone but I now have a pain on my left leg just below the knee on the outside.  If I stand on my left leg and bend it no pain, then when I straighten it, there is pain.  Probably some muscle so I'll have a few days off running.

I was supporting at the Abingdon Marathon yesterday.  It was great to see some familiar faces and some wopping PBs!

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hello all... My running has been a bit lacking of late due to too much work, followed by too little sleep and being tired then an appearance of visitors who like to drink more than sleep. Hopefully back on track as of today, and will be back to following the schedule again.

Hope everyone's weekend went well. How were the trails Franz?

Oct 29: Beachy Head Marathon - baldstan.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday. Marine Corps Marathon - Nodster.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday. New York Marathon - The Jimbob, Nodster, Slinkyminky. Men's 10k Edinburgh - KennyM.
    Nov 12: Autumn Shakespeare 10k - Christopher Field. Cheshire 10K- ryantilley.
    Nov 13: Lytham windmill 10k - Kirsten B. Marathon Nice-Cannes - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Nov 19: Birmingham 10k Mo run - Christopher Field.
    Nov 20: Phoenix Winter Marathon - Nodster. Valencia Marathon - Nells.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 26: Saxon Shore Saturday - Nodster, Kenno. Chasewater xmas pudding dash 10k - Christopher Field.
    Nov 27: Saxon Shore Sunday - Nodster, Stuchbury. Florence Marathon - Tired legs.
    Dec 11: Telford 10k - Christopher Field, Tired legs.
    Dec 18: Portsmouth Coastal Waterside - Nodster, Loubella, TBO2.

Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 7: Polar Night Half Marathon - LloydR
    Jan 8: Temple Newsam 10 - Andy-W-.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday. Brass Monkey Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 5: Dewsbury 10K - Andy-W-.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 19: Hampton Court Half - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Feb 26: Brighton Half Marathon - baldstan.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 5: Pafos Marathon - Andy-W-. Milton Keynes 20 miles - Christopher Field. St Helens 10K- ryantilley.
    Mar 12: Bath half - Christopher Field. Southend-on-Sea Marathon - kenno. North London Half Marathon - ryantilley.
    Mar 19: Reading Half - The Jimbob. Alloa Half - KennyM.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 2: Manchester Marathon - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2, Christopher Field.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.
    Apr 9: Paris Marathon
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 17: Boston Marathon - Slinkyminky.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday. London Marathon - The Jimbob, agentpenguin. Hamburg Marathon - KennyM.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    Apr 26: Nells' birthday.
    May 1: Milton Keynes Marathon - Christopher Field.
    May 14: Leeds Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: TBO2's birthday.
    May 27: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster.
    May 28: Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon - Andy-W-, Orbutt. Liverpool Rock n Roll Half - Christopher Field.
    May 29: Vitality 10,000 - The Jimbob, Nells.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 23: Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 9: Leeds 10k - Andy-W-.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 6: York 10K - Andy-W-.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Oct 6: Slinkyminky's birthday.
    Oct 8: Yorkshire Marathon - Andy-W-, Christopher Field.
    Oct 15: Birmingham Marathon - Christopher Field.

Apr: Two Oceans

• Hi all! So my family are coming out o Paris to support me in my first marathon and my sister is also running it with me! I'm looking at renting an airbnb apartment for the family for the weekend but have no idea which area to stay in? Any recommendations please? I've seen the start is on the Champs elysees obviously but don't know Paris at all... thanks!
  • NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hello again bexi!

In the past I've stayed in Montmarte, and it's been pretty easy to get to the start on the Metro from there using line 2 from Place de Clichy to Charles de Gaulle Etoille. 

This time I’ve booked to stay closer to the start/finish, partly because I’ve stayed in Montmarte so often now I quite fancied a change, and also the place I normally stay in seems to be not available from the end of this year so I need to find another Parisian bolt hole! It really is easy to get there and back on the Metro on the day, just have a look at the metro map – there are 4 lines that go to Charles de Gaulle Etoille, the station for the Arc de Triomphe, so anywhere along those will be easy. I’m biased towards Montmarte as it’s always been my favourite part of Paris and lots of good memories from visits there!

• Thank you Nells, a friend has actually also recommended Montmartre so it must be a nice place to stay! X
  • Hi All, I finished the Salzburg Castle Trail, in German the Festungstrail. The race Starts in the City of Salzburg, Takes a Loop

Around the Cathedral and Enters the Mountain that is overlooking the city. After some some flights of stairs the course loops the Mountain and descends to the city. Than the whole a second time. After the city is reached the second time the course goes 1km and 600ft straight up to the Castle. The inner Castle ist entered trough Hells Gate, than stairs up to the wall, 200m on top of the wall, down some stairs to the finish in the inner yard. The weather was brillant and I was 12 minutes faster than last year. I am looking forward running the sixth edition 2017!
  • List fairy - please can you add me to the list for Meon valley half marathon 6th November and Great south run 22 Oct 2017. Swore I would never pay the ??41 for 10 miles of the Pompey seafront again but they were offering a 25% discount for the first 1000 runners so I succumbed!

Wow Franz, that route sounds amazing, definitely sounds like time for a bit of googling and a definite possibility for the bucket list. Well done on beating last year image
  • Hi Loubella, Look at www.trailrunning-festival.at

There should be an English Version as well. Lots of visotors Racing!
  • Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Franz - That sounds like an interesting run. Well done on beating your time from last year.

Bexi22 - I always stay in Montmartre. Mainly as I'm a creature of habit and I found a decent cheap hotel there with access to the start/finish area via a short Metro ride. It's also easy to get a direct Metro out the expo if you wander along to Pigalle Metro (line12).

• Thanks Eggyh73! Looks like it's Montmartre if we can find something there!
  • If you were running a marathon that was on your doorstep would you run the route for familiarity or would you avoid so it was fresh & new on the day?

I know the first and last part of the route like the back of my hand but have never ventured as far as the middle 13 miles, trying to decide whether to do some training around this part or steer clear - keep deciding which way to play it and then changing my mind!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Loubella - Unless it was a trail race where I wasn't sure of the route and thought I'd get lost, I'd most likely just leave until the day. Personally I don't think being familiar with a particular route makes any difference to how the run will go.

Noddy - Good luck at the Marine Corp Marathon in DC this weekend! It's a wonderful city. Go have some Ethiopian food for me.

In other news my instructions for the trail race I'm doing this weekend include this gem "expect the weather to be Scottish"! image

• TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭

Loubella, i quite like the element of surprise as i find it can get boring if you know the route very well but its down to the individual.

Nodster best of luck this weekend!

I don't know how i did this but i got a place at the Brighton marathon -list fairy can you put me down for 9th April!

• TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭

ive just realised that Brighton is the same day as Paris-will be running with the rest of you in spirit.

list fairy i have also got a place for the Vitality 10k on May 29th so can you put me down for it. will be joining you and Jimbob!

• Hi All

in a moment of madness I've signed up for Paris 2017 which is my first marathon. i've only be running for a year and just completed my second half marathon (Bath and Bristol)?and I'm a bit nervous! and have a couple of questions

whats the best training plan? My half times are a pedestrian 2:24 and 2:18 and I don't have a target time, only to finish and have the ability to walk after

what about nutrition during training? Do I need to cut out certain things so I'm in the best possible shape?

where is the best place to stay in Paris?

thanks

• kennokenno ✭✭✭

Welcome Smackersmith.  What's your pen and number?  I'll add you to the list.

There are far more experienced people in here than me, so I'll leave them to give you good advice.  Only thing I would add is that pick a training plan that think you can achieve.  I've never done a training plan because I find it hard to stick to it and then beat myself up over missing it.  I just look to increase the distance of my long runs as the weeks tick by and get some other runs in while I can during the week.  I'm sure I'd do better with a proper plan, but some things have to come before training for me.

Stick around and you'll get loads of good advice in here.

• Hello all! I'm back... Welcome newcomers.. Paris is one of my favourite cities in the world and this will be my third Paris Marathon. I'm hoping it will also be a sub-four for me in 2017. Tried twice and not been successful, although falling over a month beforehand last year didn't help with the training. 

I'm good at falling over. I've done it a few times; the most recent resulted in a broken arm. It's on the mend now. image

Apparently I'm running in Kent in November with Nodster. Don't go too fast, otherwise I might not be able to keep up!

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Smackersmith - Welcome to the thread!

Training plans are hard to give advise on and I think for many it's a bit of trial and error until you find one that works for you. The Hal Higdonplans can be popular, as he has training plans that cater for different levels of experience. Once you pick a plan remember that if you're finding it isn't working for you in terms of being able to commit to the number of runs, or you're finding it too much or too little, you can change or adapt it.

In terms of location the perfect location is anywhere near the Arc de Triomphe. That said that's also the most expensive area. Anywhere on lines 1 or 2 of the Metro will give you easy access to the start/finish area. I've always stayed in Montmartre, which is much cheaper and has easy access via the Metro to the start/finish area (about 10/15 minutes on the Metro). Most of the common tourist areas will give you easy access to the marathon facilities.

For nutrition to give my honest opinion I think unless your diet is really bad you don't actually have to adjust it, unless you have a specific weight loss goal. I know for my first marathon looking back I actually was eating way too much on my training runs, and even more so after. the main thing to consider is practice race weekend. Before your long training runs try out different breakfast types, porridge is common, and make sure you find one that you can run on without feeling bloated or gives you issues. When you find one make sure that's your race day breakfast. I think the same rule can be applied for the night before, but normally sticking to a simple pasta type meal works for most.

I used to be really bad for snacking and stuffing my face with junk food, particularly post-run. I cut that out and I found it was nothing but a habit. That did help me run faster and now I've found I've broken the habit and no longer automatically go for a snack when I sit down to watch some tv. I'm still on about 12 cups of coffee a day, everyone needs a vice!

You'll love Paris. It's a fantastic event.

Stuchbury - Great to see you back! image

• Hi Smackersmith. I was a first timer last year, having entered Paris thanks to the euphoria (and a few beers) after finishing my first half marathon. It was all the advice and encouragement on this forum that saw me through, and made me want to come back for more. Don't be afraid to ask anything, there's always someone here who can help.

Talking of coming back for more, I'm now nursing a pair of sore legs after running the Beachy Head Marathon yesterday. It's every bit as hilly as they say on the website (a thousand and a bit metres of ascent over 26 miles), and with the start being straight up a 1 in 4 hill (at a guess) as you line up you can see what you've let yourself in for.

Having missed a lot of running over the summer with various niggles I wasn't hoping for a particular time, so my plan was to walk the ups and run the downs, for as long as I could, and then walk the rest. And since I was well behind the leaders almost everyone else was doing the same thing. Which soon meant that I found myself looking forward to getting to the next hill. It was a chance to rest the quads from running downhill, and it usually meant a chance to chat with whoever was next to you. It was certainly the most sociable race I've ever been in.Even when we got to the Seven Sisters lots of people were still chatting, and quite a few people crossed the line with someone they'd got talking to in the race.

In between the hills there weren't many flat bits, but as I'm almost as good at falling over as Stuchbury I did manage to fall over on one of them, after 10 miles, and ran the rest of the race with a slightly bloody knee. Still despite that, and all the walking, I was amazed that I finished in just under 4 hours 27, which was only about 11 minutes slower than my Paris time. 

One thing I did notice though was that my Garmin seemed to show my heart rate peaking when I started running again after each of the water stations. At one point it even got to 204, but then within 20 seconds it was back down to 160. I felt about as fine as I expected to after running 20 miles so I'm hoping it was just the Garmin catching up, but as I've never used it in a race before (and it's never shown my heart rate above 185) it was just a little worrying. Don't know if anyone else has had the same experience.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Baldstan - Well done! Beachy Head is well known as a real tough course.

I don't use a HRM, but it random spikes based on the conditions, or due to the software, wouldn't surprise me.

• Hello,

Paris Marathon 2017 will be my 2nd Marathon having run Paris Marathon this year in 3:37:xx.  Such a great city and course to run your first marathon though weather was a bit hot!  My PB for 10K is 39:xx and HM (Birmingham) is 1:27:xx.  I am 51 years old.  Not having followed any training plans before, I too welcome any advice on what's the best training plan / training paces (Tempo and Intervals) to follow as I would like to get my Marathon time down to 3:19:xx (GFA), not sure whether this is doable based on my 10K and HM times?   

Thank you.

• Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

GuyKynn - Welcome to the thread!

There will be others along who can give you better advise on what they did to get their times down to that sort of range. It would be best to give some details in terms of what you did when training for Paris this year, mileage, frequency, types of runs etc.

I'd imagine the heat was a factor in slowing you down. I missed Paris this year for the first time in several years, but I remember reading race reports and the vast majority seemed to be slower than their target times. The heat seemed to be the most notable factor in causing people problems this year.

I got caught with that in Copenhagen this year. Training went well, everything suggested I'd be on course to challenge my PB. Then had a race from hell, as I couldn't deal with the heat on the day.