Low Carb (high fat) Pirates

Comments

• TREJ -  it's difficult on lchf to get enough magnesium. Even with the foods you mention you'd be hard pushed to get to the recommended 400mg per day. Try also reading the ketogenic diet resource website 

hopefully people wouldn't be taking any tablets with every drink without checking what they themselves are consuming first.

• Thanks Duda - I'm going to check that out. Some actual published research would be helpful as I'm a bit tired of google and I'm not too convinced on my Doctors Impartiality. He seems very anti high fat diets from his conversation with my gf

SS- I would hope people on this forum would be competent enough not too .... but there seems to be plenty of people out there that have done exactly that!

I reckon I'm about 1-200mg under daily on average so I'm happy taking 200mg x 5 per week. I do know that I have regularly hit the 400mg per day with food intake in the last week though....but I guess I'm making an effort to do so
  • TREJ, you're welcome, are you a member of our facebook group there is a huge wealth of knowledge on there with many of the members  having been low carb for years.

Its important to realise that not all minerals that are in food are bio-available minerals from nut and seed sources are a prime example of this as the lectin and phytic acid block up to 80% of the uptake of minerals especially zinc and magnesium.

I have only ever found one practising GP that was an advocate of LCHF. I am sure that there are more out there but they are very thin on the ground.

• My gp is an audax cyclist so he is aware ... the problem is that his advice to my gf has been "have a break from the diet for a month and go back to a more balanced diet". The issue with that is that our previous diet was not balanced. It was essentially all the stuff we eat now with loads of processed foods, sugar and carbs added. The past 2 months is the best food I have eaten in my life - everything has been prepared from fresh, good ingredients. I find this assumption that people's diets are ok before keto adaption strange. My gf has failed on all types of diets and then lost 2 stone, without any hardship on keto. Yes her periods have been awful for the first two months but simply "eat more crap" doesn't seem to be the way to go.

I have joined the bookface group - ta
  • To my mind a balanced diet doest exist. What most people thing of as balanced I would consider high carb and those carbs come mostly from grain or potatoes. Grain is something that only entered the Northern European diet less than 2000 years ago when the Romans brought it over the Alps and potatoes are even later circa 1600s with the discovery of the americas. Speaking from an evolutionary stand point we are just not geared up to eat those foods in the quantities recommender. Once you GF reaches the weigh she wants she should probably up the carbs but only to about 100- 120 grms per day. She would find this podcast helpful. if she hasn't already heard it.

http://www.enduranceplanet.com/stacy-sims-phd-the-everything-guide-for-female-athletes-how-to-navigate-your-menstrual-cycle-the-menopause-years-cortisol-and-stress-nutrition-needs-and-more/

• so plateaus...

First 3.5 weeks of Keto I dropped 16 pounds.  I had lost quite a bit of weight on 5:2 before keto so that initial drop astonished me.

For the past 4 weeks I have been hovering between 15 st 13 and 15 st 8.   

Most of that time the scales have stuck at 15st 11.  I did drop down to 15 8 last week but today im back at 15 10

For the first 3 weeks I was doing considerable miles at zone 2 type effort outside on the bike.   I was struggling with keto adaption in that time so I really cut out any big efforts.  After I felt better I was doing quite a lot of long, fasted riding

Then the weather turned a bit and I have had less spare time so I have switched to my winter routine of 30 minute to an hour interval sessions on a spin bike plus a lot of weight work.   I had become pretty weak in my top half after loads of cycling this year so after 7-8 weeks of weights, core work and intervals, I can feel some good gains all over strength wise.

We have been measuring ourselves but im not convinced of our accuracy, but the tape says that while I have stayed in the late 15 stone zone, I have also been steadily losing size.   While in this weight range I've lost  a further 3 cm from my chest, 4 cm from my belly and thighs have stayed the same (they are pretty solid anyway so that makes sense)

Im not discouraged by all this as at the end of the day I have lost weight, gained muscle and kept it there...while making some additional progress.   I normally stack weight on this time of the year as my road miles stop while my appetite doesnt so im really happy that this now isnt occurring.   However, I am a bit worried that the scales have stopped.

So far I have put this down to starting the resistance work and the gains I have made strength wise - but what have others done to break through this kind of pattern if it doesnt change?

I havnt got time to do the long fasted rides apart from at the weekend.  In fact - morning training is now very difficult as its school time again and I have a school run.

Im wondering if I am maybe not eating enough fat, and too much protein?  I definitely have days where my protein intake is way higher than my fat.

I dont do bullet proof coffee or anything.   My diet is basically double cream in coffee, meat, cheese with salad for lunch, fatty meat with green veg or salad for dinner... lots of cheese, lots of bacon and loads of eggs.   Occasional treats are mainly almond flower, nuts and dark chocolate... or a soya coffee with sugar free syrup.  I have pretty much cut out alcohol apart from the odd malt whiskey.

I have read bout fat fasting being successful in speeding things up or breaking through a plateau - so 24 hours where you just eat a very small snacks of fat and nothing else?

Im not looking at changing things yet as its not a long time in the grand scale of things - but as we are committed to this I am sure we will hit plateaus and need to change things up.   Opinions very welcome.

• My body tends to lose a bit then stays the same for a while, then loses a bit - I don't get too stressed about it tbh it's going in the right direction - and the measuring tape and my clothes are a good indicator that my body composition is changing! image 

• Jimmy Moore and Doc Muscles would recommend ditching the scales and taking more notice of a tape measure. Salads should have olive oil or something on them otherwise they're  just rabbit food. Veg should have butter. If you're eating lots of cheese, eggs and bacon then maybe that's too much protein for you. Converts to glycogen via a process called gluconeogenesisimage

Nuts and cheese are calorie dense so maybe you're eating a bit more than you think, but you can expect a plateau. You're definitely doing well and embracing a healthier way of eating.

• My advice would echo that already given ditch the scales in favour of the tape. especially if your lifting heavy things as your trying to lose fat not weight the best thinking to measure fat with is a tape measure or a set of callipers..While I don't have a full view of your diet day to day, the soya milk  coffee with sugar free syrup would be the first thing to get rid of if you tried an elimination diet. All three ingredients are known to stall weight lose in some people as they can all affect insulin levels and as far as I am concerned Soya being a legume is a huge no no, full of lectin and phytic acid. It certainly won't be helping with mineral absorption. 

As SS also points out some of the foods are very energy rich so its easy to over eat and that too will slow down weight loss. Try keep a food diary for a couple of weeks. I know one of the mistakes I made at the beginning was over eating macadamia nut I was only having a handful per day but it turned out that handful was over 500 Kcals

• Out of interest can you post a link to the sugar free syrup you are using?

• Soya latte with sugar free vanilla is a once a week thing from Costa ... Monday morning treat.... or if we go for coffee during a ride. It's not a regular. Otherwise it's water or coffee with double cream.

I don't especially like soya and know it's not really Keto friendly - but I do crave a 'thinner' coffee that isn't black now and again.

I have a full week of my diet typed out somewhere so will find it.
  • Afternoon all.  Well done on the marathon SS & the ultra Buttercup image Great to see the LCHF working for you both.  

Just caught up on all the posts.  Thanks for the podcast heads-up FE; Dud linked to it in the FB group so i've had a listen but need to listen again and take notes I think!!  For me I think i'll aim for slightly higher carbs in the week before i'm due on to help.  I think women do need to tweak it a bit.  

So yesterday I had a planned trip to London for a belated 40th celebration for my friend.  I knew i'd be eating carbs so that was fine - for me this lifestyle is to be lived day-to-day, knowing there will be the odd occasion where I go off for a day if at a friend's for a meal, for celebrations like this etc.  Mostly I tried to stick to it with the foods we ate, but I did eat quite a bit of rice in the evening, and I had some booze.  Not as much as everyone else - I had a fair bit of water too.  Interestingly though, we ended up walking about 8 miles around town, and I felt totally spangled - I think I'm pretty low on salt.  I've been adding it to food, and even added some to my water at work this week, but I felt a bit dizzy and it honestly felt like my brain was shutting down.  My pal was asking me something and I had to really concentrate to answer.  We finally found somewhere to stop for a drink and that helped.  Felt back to normal about an hour later.  So will watch that in future.  Got a run tomorrow so making sure i'm suitably hydrated and salted/mineral'd today!

I woke up this morning with a sore stomach - too much rice.  Back on it today, just made some celery soup with homemade chicken stock.  It's all a learning curve, that's for sure image

• TheRedEyeJedi wrote (see)
    Soya latte with sugar free vanilla is a once a week thing from Costa ... Monday morning treat.... or if we go for coffee during a ride. It's not a regular. Otherwise it's water or coffee with double cream.

I don't especially like soya and know it's not really Keto friendly - but I do crave a 'thinner' coffee that isn't black now and again.

I have a full week of my diet typed out somewhere so will find it.

I am even more convinced its the sugar free syrup now,being form Costas.  Not all sugar free products are low insulinagenic and if it does cause a insulin spike it may take a 4-5 days to "recover" from it. Do you use either a blood or breath ketone meter? They would give the quickest answer. I sent you a PM but knowing the RW message service dog only knows if you'll get it!

Good work Lea, I find alcohol hits me more the lower carb I am.

• Its probably High Fructose Corn Syrup! Worse than sugar!

• I am beginning to see results, but being a woman of a certain age, LCHF definitely effects female hormones. It can be quite vary lots from full on hormonal surge to subtle but still noticeable and in a good way which is great. I listened to the podcast mentioned a week or so ago, very interesting even if they did not have much about menopausal issues.

• After 4 weeks..I am going to start trying to train ..slow short jog this morning...had a slow parkrun Saturday and then did 6 miles yesterday...legs not recovered from marathon so will keep them short and slow 

• Just caught up.  Thank you all regarding the magnesium comments.  Will take on board.

I'm also going to try taking out peppers, eggs and onions as I seem to be experiencing a lot of inflammation at the moment and it's got worse since I've increased eating these.  Has anyone else had experience of it?

• Steady CJ - I think it's probably different for everyone. I've definitely found that on LCHF I don't suffer as much. I've been really bad with food the last week since my marathon and I'm feeling it more.

Seren - you've started running again quite early haven't you? was going to leave it another week or two but I'm getting twitchy so will start again on Wednesday. Another marathon booked for feb.

Hi HC - How's it going? sorry can't help on the foods although I'd hate to live without eggsimage

I'm taking the magnesium too but I'm so rubbish at remembering to take salt

• Could it be a FODMAP issue HC?  If you don't feel great on peppers and onions then definitely bin them - best way to check anyway.

I think I need to reduce my dairy content.  I've been having a lot more lately than I usually would, and it's making me more mucus-y which is lovely, lol.  

• Which marathon you doing Feb SS?

what a lovely thought Pea image

• Lee the Pea wrote (see)

I think I need to reduce my dairy content.  I've been having a lot more lately than I usually would, and it's making me more mucus-y which is lovely, lol.  

Out of interest Pea, when you say mucus-y, what do you mean exactly?

The reason I ask is that I am finding I am having to clear my throat all the time recently.  I am drinking plenty, as I always do, so it's not a dehydration issue.  I am not ill, nor have I been in the past few months.

You've now got me wondering if it is anything to do with dairy, as I do tend to eat quite a bit of cheese, double cream, creme fraiche etc.

• HC - so...it would appear it's actually not a marathon as such. Just checked it out. It's the Jaw Dropper by Phoenix running. Don't think they have many people doing it but it's multiple laps and as many as you can do in 6 hours. So I shall aim to do 4 laps which is a marathon and take 5 - 51/2 hours so I can still (hopefully) run the following week

• SO I need to read things a bit more carefully. It would appear that 8 laps makes up a marathon. It's going to be like groundhog day. But it's near, I can sleep in my own bed and eat my own breakfast. Also theres a seriously cool bit of bling at the end. The medal is a shark whose fins have hinges that open and close the mouthimage 

• SS I've done a few of their events, they're good!  The run by the river is lovely, and it's nice to run back and forth with folk you can high five image  I did one with them last week, but just did 1 lap as hip was bothering me.  My next one with them is on the 19th.  I think i've to do 3 laps (according to my training plan!).  I'm also doing Dirty Running with them in Feb image

Pudge, yeah I find i'm the same.  Just feel a bit congested and having to clear throat, but not feeling ill or coughing anything up.  I used to get that when I ate lots of cereal, many moons ago, and therefore was having lots of milk.  Now i only have a little bit of milk in tea, and often none in coffee, but i'm eating loads of cream and a lot more cheese than I used to.  So going to cut back on the cream and that should help.  Shame, as i've been loving it and eating it out of the pot, hahaha!!

• I've just had a quick google of the milk thing....apparently it's crap and milk doesn't increase mucus in the body, but it can thicken saliva so make it feel as if you're congested.  I also found a few articles that says it does increase it.  So who knows, lol!!  I know in the past i've felt a bit sluggish with too much dairy and it does seem to make me cough, so i'm going to reduce my consumption of it a bit, not least because I think i'm getting more fat than is actually necessary at the moment!

• Lee- I was going to do Dirty Running on the Sunday but it was full so doing the Jaw Dropper on the Saturda. Shame I won't see you there 

• Has anyone got any good suggestions on Keto friendly treats?

I am finding the period between dinner and bed really difficult at the moment.  I am not particularly hungry - but I really want to eat something nice.   Dark, winter nights were my traditional time of year to eat everything in the house so I think its just a habbit I will have to kick, but I am trying to get stuff in the house that will satisfy a craving from time to time.

I have some pork scratchings, pepperami and nice cheese and deli meats in the fridge - so I have savory snacks covered - its the cakey, creamy type textures  I really want though.

The only thing I have come up with so far is dark chocolate mug cake with cream ... (2 tbsp almond flour, 1 tbsp. coconut flour, butter, egg, 1 square 90% dark chocolate, 1 tbsp. cocoa powder).   Im eating about 3 of those per week as a pudding or an evening snack. 

Im looking at some cheesecake recipes too as those look like they would work.   I do also have (an unused) ice cream maker ...My GF is craving ice cream so hard so I might have a go at some of these Keto recipes I have seen.

What do all of you eat for a treat on a cold winters night when you just need that little something?  

• I make chocolate fat bombs image

• SuckitupButterCup wrote (see)

I make chocolate fat bombs image

Could you share your favored ingredients ...there are a lot of recipes out there!

Can you make these with butter, rather than coconut oil (just to save me a trip to the shop later)