The Middle Ground

Comments

• Dan: well done on your marathon especially on the low mileageimage bodes well for the future.

Finally I am getting over the virus wiped me out for a week but managed my first run this morning 6 miles -yay

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

well done on the pb, Dr Dan. I'm pleased that in part the First principle has contributed. I do think if you can improve your times at shorter paces it'll Carry through. Just need to add miles back in to convert more sharply. 

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    Good job, Dr Dan! Great time, shame you lost a bit in the last few miles.

Few rest days for me, but 4 miles this morning. Will run another 4 or so tomorrow - then rest for Sunday!

Bought a Garmin Forerunner 35 to make sure I'm able to pace myself accurately - not that I've decided what to aim for yet. Seems pretty neat.
  • Good work MYOX are you racing on Sunday?

10 miles for me Tuesday and Wednesday and hopefully todayimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭
    Thanks WP; amazing mileage!

I've got the Sheffield 10K on Sunday. Recce'd the course today and it's very hilly. Sub 40 will be hard, I think. I was struggling to keep to sub 8:00 pace on the hills and I was really trying!
  • Thanks MYOK

Yikes  I hope your plans come to pass and you get the sub 40 just do the best you can we will be willing you onimage

I am not running my half next weekend this virus has not left me as RHR is up and legs are wooden/heavy so that is that for this year 2017 will bring so much promise if I work hardimage

Christmas cake is in the ovenimage

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Go well tomorrow, Myox! Sheffield is not the fastest area in the country though!

Race report, which is unusual for me! Rarely race these days!
    Left the north-west in good time to get me to London for around 11, with Hyde Park the destination for the Last Friday of the Month 5k. Start time 12:30 so plenty of time to get a tube to Green Park from Euston and then stroll to the park for a decent warm up. Managed to get soaked getting to the station before boarding the train.

Not long into the journey there was an announcement that somebody had decided to lie down on the line, so there would have to be a diversion. Not good for either them or me! Arrived at Euston at 11:50, having got changed into my kit. Ran to the tube, and then from Green Park tube to Hyde Park in bright sunshine with only a slight breeze; don’t like running with a backpack but little option. Arrived 12:20 so minimal warm up (had planned 3k minimum plus stretches). There are two races, A and B, and I had opted for the B. 

12:32 and we are off! Hyde Park is deceptively undulating and first k is no exception. Inevitably struggled to get going because of the lack of warm up. 4:16, only just passing a M75 friend. Head down and try to keep a consistent pace: 4:15, 4:15, 4:14...so 4k in 17 minutes. I had two targets in mind before the race: sub 21 or a season’s best (below 21:38). The sub 21 was unlikely from this point as I would need to run a sub 4k for the final stretch. Unlikely, but I gave it my best shot. Unfortunately there is kilometre includes a climb that is a real sting in the tail and I couldn’t kick off the top of it for the last few hundred metres. Also I clocked the course as being around 30 to 40 metres long, as did others. Anyway I’d rather complain about too long than too short, and I’m not going to complain about 21:12 and 76.6% WAVA. More to come, I trust.

Incidentally my M75 friend did 21:48 for the fastest in the country this year. He says more to come, also! 

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good luck tomorrow, Myox.

That's a shame wp but better to be safe in that respect. 

Excellent run, particularly given the build up, Alehouse. What next?

I decided to force myself to parkrun today. I've been on holiday since Sunday but felt the 7 days of no running prior to today and the weeks over indulgences would be offset by fresh legs. First two miles were on target at 6.08 and 6.09. I then lost my footing in a tight switchback at start of mile 3, and was blowing hard so collapsed hideously with a 6.33 mile. Came in 19.17 so 18 seconds outsude pb time. This time last year it would have been a pb so won't grumble too much in circumstances. I've been dining out off my summers training since early September now. Probably time to start training consistently again. My warm up was limited to 1 mile easy. I was slightly concerned that my hr for 8mm pace was what I'd expect my average pace for about 10 miles at Mara pace to be. Possibly still elevated from a light cold mid week. 

• MYOXMYOX ✭✭✭

Hi everyone - thanks for all the well wishes.

So: finished Sheffield 10K this morning in 39:14, #55 out of 3285. Pretty damn chuffed! Here's a short (ish) report:

Mile 1: started very near the front, so got out of the blocks pretty quickly. There were only about 30 or so in runners in the sub40 pen, which was handy. Flat to start with, then a short uphill stretch, but it flashed by pretty quickly - 5:58 pace.

Mile 2: a slight uphill gradient all the way. I'd run this a few times at 5K pace in training, which felt dreadful, so I wasn't looking forward to it. In the end it felt quite steady: I held off a bit on purpose, and got overtaken by a few runners, but was running pretty easily - 6:37 pace.

Mile 3: the killer. Slight uphill into a fairly steep push, and then onto some lumpy ground. Was actually feeling good, and overtook some runners who were starting to really puff, but I knew that my pace had slowed. Sure enough - 7:03 pace.

Mile 4: Still lumpy, but really tried to push. Honestly, I don't think anything of note happened, but I remember trying not to let my stride lengthen to much: it always seems to bring on a stitch if I do. 6:12 pace.

Mile 5: Downhill all the way now. Felt strong as we turned back towards the centre of town, and I consciously tried to push the pace as we crested the last hill - wanted to try and get away from some runners who I thought I might be able to beat. I know that I was running at 5:50 pace for quite a way, but eventually slowed to 5:59 pace.

Mile 6: Oh god, I was starting to rock and roll at this point. I think I need to work more on basic endurance - I felt weak, rather than too out of breath. Was overtaken for the first time in a while by a small group of 3 or 4 runners and had to really battle to stick with them, especially on the final short incline. 6:14 pace.

Mile 6.2: The crux of the race for me, and the bit I'm really pleased about. I was really close to letting that group of runners go, and felt pretty shattered, but after relaxing on the last short downhill I managed to pull off a sprint finish and passed them all just before the line. 5:21 pace.

Bit longer than I anticipated - sorry! I've been quite looking forward to writing a race report. image

I can recommend Sheffield 10K - really well organised, lots of marshals, pretty decent goody bag (mars bar!) and actually quite a fun route. It's probably not PB material if you're used to flat courses - it's definitely not flat* - but it's not that slow and that downhill back into town is marvellous.

*Strava says 372ft of elevation gain. You get all that back, of course, but I think it's the short, sharp steep bits that eat up the time.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Well done, myox. Pretty close to the 5k time x 2 plus 1 minute calculation I use. A flattter course would have half the climbing so you could expect to squeeze another 30 seconds in current fitness. 

• Well done Myox! Target achieved! Onwards and upwards!

DT: not sure what is next, apart from knuckling down to training rather than running, if you know what I mean! Too many of my runs have been "going through the motions" rather than being particularly meaningful; however, there is a balance of course and I must guard against over-doing things. I break far too easily!

Progress is rarely a straight line. There are always bumps in the road, but you can make the choice to keep looking ahead.
  • Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

WP bad luck with the HM ... hope the Xmas cake went well!

Alehouse - thanks for the report. More to come indeed!

DT - 19:17 is tidy enough considering the lack of consistency and the holiday.

Myox - great time at Sheffield! Well done.

42 miles of bike commuting Tue-Fri, and then a 20:43 parkrun. I'll just tick over this week as I have the Abbey Dash 10K on Sunday. Then I need to make a plan!

• AndrewDAndrewD ✭✭✭

Well done all, but sorry to hear that you had to abort the intended HM WP.

The plan here is now to continue with some light mileage for the rest of 2016 and then try to build things up again in the new year. I'm trying to work out if the majority of my injuries occur when I build up the training volume, or when I build up the intensity. If it is the former, then I may just choose to concentrate on lower mileage 5k training at least to start off with next year. If it is quicker running that causes the injuries, rather than volume, then I may just continue to train long and slow and see how that works out.

I just wish that it wasn't so bloody expensive to see (and hard to locate) a good running physio who could look at my form and tell me where I need to focus on in terms of strengthening and flexibility exercises, as I think this is what I need to do. At the moment any such exercises I do are just guesswork and may not be attacking the root cause of my various injuries.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Reasonable effort, Dr Dan. Good luck Sunday. 

Andrew, you may benefit from a biomech analysis. You can normally get them done for £100. If you went to a garage because your car was making a funny noise and they told you it would cost £200 you would probably be unfazed and pay it. Therefore, why is a couple of hundread too much to spend on your body?

I had to pay £350 to have a tooth crowned recently. I could have had it extracted for £50. Some folk were baffled that I elected to pay 7 times more. when I explain the vehicle repair analogy people seem to get my point a bit more.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

£200 for a funny noise? Sod that, I'll put up with the noise. #Yorkshire image

• DT - as it happens, after posting that message yesterday I did send an email to a local(ish) physio who seemed to do injury prevention through analysis of biomechanics etc, so fingers crossed he can fit me in and it will be useful.

Dan - I'm not from Yorkshire, but I also begrudge any cost I have to pay to get things fixed and find annual car services, MOT etc a bit of a rip-off!

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

The 2016 Abbey Dash was the usual spectacle of ridiculously high standard runners ... Olympian Eilish McColgan won the women's race in 32:52. She came 89th over all!image There were 14 runners under 30 minutes! How can anyone run at 20 mph for 10K in freezing conditions.

Meanwhiel I managed my best 10K of the year ... 30 seconds faster than July's Leeds 10K on essentially the same route and 5 seconds faster than the Bradford 10K in March. Could have been faster but for the marathon 2 weeks ago and the fact that I've only run twice since. So that's it for 2016, apart from parkrunning.

Good year - consistently over 70% WAVA for most road races; sub-20 parkrun with all-time WAVA PB (73.86%); PBs at 1 mile and marathon (and 5 mile but that was my first 5 mile!); two triathlons, including my first Olympic/OW. And I'm still in one piece to start marathon training!

• Well done Dan! Now for some consistent training to get yourself ready for the marathon campaign! 
    Yes, a very high standard at Abbey Dash! Have seen Eilish out running on some of my routes recently as she has moved in with Michael Rimmer about a mile from my house. What was your time, by the way?

Have been persuaded to run in the National Masters' Cross Country Relays on 19th in Long Eaton. As it is just 3k it will be rather a shock to the system! Have also booked my train tickets for the last Friday in December to have another crack at the Hyde Park race.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

image3K sounds a bit image.

oops, forgot to report the race time! I managed 41:38.

• Yes, 3k will be a definite shock, particularly to the lungs! 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good running, Dr Dan.

Not much to report from me. Ticking along with an easy 10 Thursday and 15 Sunday. Having a month of the hilliest routes I can find. Did xc Saturday, 6th scorer for team and 4th for vets. Main point of note was my average pace of 6.24 over 5.5 miles. It wasn't the most challenging course but still tougher than road racing so pleasing to hit sub 40 pace. 

Much the same schedule this week with XC again Saturday. 

• Morning

Great running Dan

I have had an up and down few weeks with virus but looking like all back to normal for me 11.5 miles yesterday so that was long run for the week and will build on it as long as weather is kind!

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Quiet on here. I've been ticking along with 10 with 4 at MP last night. XC again tomorrow. Forecast has 12 hours of rain from tonight so I should finally see some mud. 

• Hope PRF is able to pop in to let us know how HO gets on later: World 50k Champs in Doha start at 6pm Doha time, so in about three hours.

On for another 50k plus week. May take a cutback week next week ahead of the National Vets relays. Day 832 completed with a decent hill session. Enjoy the mud, DT!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Just seen result on Facebook, very good!

• I saw the results, also, with Amy Clements (MsPP) 3rd. Look forward to PRFs assessment! Well done HO!?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

I didn't realise that. I was expecting to see more African names in the top 10. 

• Haven't seen the split times yet, but would be interested to see what the marathon splits were, as well as individual's 5k or 10k splits.

No rain here yet! Was hoping it would be early so we get a dry day tomorrow! Not sure whether to parkrun or watch XC league.
  • Thanks for asking Alehouse image

The plan was to ignore the race and settle into a sustainable rhythm, even if it meant being tailed off in last place. We were expecting the time to have to be slowed down to something around 4 hours compared to the 3:36 run in Perth for the British title.simply because it was so hot and humid, ie near enough 30c.

There were 24 qualifiers in the ladies field and HO settled into 21st place for the first few laps. I couldn't have been more impressed though with the controlled execution of the race as the following masterclass of pacing took her up to 12th position at 47.5k. She then ran the fastest lap of the race at the end to take 4 more places in that final 2.5k for a very unexpected 8th place finish:

11:14
    11:11
    11:02
    11:02
    10:52
    10:56
    10:53
    10:54
    10:48
    10:48
    10:47
    10:45
    10:41
    10:42
    10:43
    10:42
    10:46
    10:34
    10:30
    10:11

A final time of 2:35:55 was also a new PB, which really should not have been on the agenda at all today. So, 8th in the world for a Guinness swilling pleb (her wordsimage )

The GB team management were of the opinion that the course/conditions were worth a time 10 minutes slower than Perth, which is not difficult to believe.

• Nice one...for a Guinness swilling Yorkshire pleb! All the Gb girls were impressive, especially MsPP! I take it there will be a parkrun in the morning...not!