Options

Low Carb (high fat) Pirates

1242526272830»

Comments

• Options

slugg of double cream  image

• Options

Got some coconut oil at lunch so tonight Mathew - Im going to have a crack at some peanut, fat bombs, and some cream cheese, vanilla frozen clouds that I like the look of

• Options
    TREJ I did post a recipe for cheese cake a while ago it's either back at the start of this thread it in a separate one on LCHF recipes. Try using the search function for mascarpone. It eat turn it up.
  • Options
    Hi - already found it right at the start. Thanks - also on the list
  • Options
    • 1/2 cup (113 grams) coconut oil (if you eat dairy, I think butter would work just as well)
    • 1/2 cup (128 grams) natural peanut/almond butter or sunflower seed butter (the kind with just nuts and salt)
    • 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
    • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    • salt to taste (if you use almond I find you don't need to add salt)
    • 2 tsp's stevia

And mix it up with whatever you like but have added on different occasions:

• 60g desiccated coconut
    • 3 dried apricots
    • 1/2 cup ground almonds
    • walnut halves
    • orange peel

Basically melt the coconut oil - add in the stevia (you need to try and dissolve it as much as you can), then the nut butter, mixing all the time then what ever else you want to add.  Put it into a jug, then pour it into the moulds - set in fridge (usually takes an hour or so).

• Options
    Just made fat bombs and frozen cheesecake bites ..... actually amazing ... thanks!
  • Options
    I've just ordered some shirataki noodles online to try. Are they okay for primal/paleo approach? Anyone have experience of them?
  • Options

never heard of them Nickyubear... looks interesting

• Options
    I saw some zero carb noodles in the supermarket the other day, my initial reaction was, just eat real food not processed crap pretending to meet a need!
  • Options
    Found a Sisson post saying probably okay if you don't mind being a bit gassy.

Thought they might appeal to the kids and be quicker than assembling the Spiralizer.
  • Options

GF and I have really locked down our diets over the last 10 days to try and get past a little stall on the scales.   Real effort to reduce carbs further, but also to switch protein to fats where ever possible.    The fat bombs we have been having as a snack or something to take us through to a meal seem to be working for us.

GF is now at her lowest weight (5 lbs lost in the last 12 days) I have also stabilized at 15st 7 (which is my lowest weight since I was about 13).  Im not sure if we had slipped out of ketosis but its possible because early last week I had all the signs of a mini keto flu.    I did manage over 100 miles on the bike sat and sunday, all fasted and had no real desire to feed when I came home.   In fact I had a fat bomb when I got in both afternoons then waited for my main meal in the evening.  I also took 17 secs of a short, sharp, hill segment near me and I remember nearly being sick when I had set my previous best up there... so that was a real tangible boost to my confidence.

Hopefully the tape measure will show even more improvement when we measure up this weekend.   I have got down to the last notch on my belt so I am hopeful.    It must show as people keep remarking about my appearance.... I am getting that thing where people ask very carefully if I have lost weight....just in case I am sick, or have a heroin habit ect! 

Apart from the obvious things we have been trying to add a new tea time dish every week to avoid getting bored.  Ideally we are looking for cheap, fast dishes.

Personal favorites recently....

Bacon, cheeseburger casserole (was really great - basically mince, paprika, onion salt, garlic salt, bacon, eggs, no sugar tomato paste and cheese baked)

Green chicken curry - made from scratch in a few minutes with a load of tender stem broccoli and green beans thrown in at the end

Chicken and pancetta creamy soup - throw chicken, mushrooms, lardons, chicken stock and cream into a wok .... 15 minutes later its a creamy, salty little wonder.

Shepherds pie with cauliflower mash - this was bloody amazing and will be featuring heavily through the winter.

Any one got any other current favs - looking for some ideas for the weekend.  

• Options

chicken breast or thigh fillets

pop in a dish, smear with pesto, piece of cheese on, top with slice of tomato and  grind some pepper on, 30 minutes in oven, fantastic

• Options

Good work TREJ, nice to see you making progress towards your goals again. the worse thing about dropping out of ketosis is the better fat adapted you are the longer it takes to get back in. Two glasses of red wine with a meal can keep me out for a week now image

I recently bough a a couple of ebooks full of recipes, I think it was $47  for two or three books. One of which was 30 keto meals in 30 minutes. Its brilliant and worth the cost alone. If your interested I'll post a link?

• Options
    Duda the Mutineer wrote (see)

Good work TREJ, nice to see you making progress towards your goals again. the worse thing about dropping out of ketosis is the better fat adapted you are the longer it takes to get back in. Two glasses of red wine with a meal can keep me out for a week now image

I recently bough a a couple of ebooks full of recipes, I think it was $47  for two or three books. One of which was 30 keto meals in 30 minutes. Its brilliant and worth the cost alone. If your interested I'll post a link?

yes please

• Options

Here you go mate, its designed more for weight loss than for athletes so you may want to put the amounts per serving up but it gives you and estimated macro and calorie count for each recipe.

https://mz164.isrefer.com/go/keto-bundle/KetoQuestions/

• Options

liking the sound of these recipies....

for a treat I love my chicken dipped in  a mixture of mexican spices lime zest and lime juice and fried.........

chop sweet potato into small chunks and coat with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast in oven......mix this with cherry tomatoes cut in half, lime juice, coriander and feta cheese.......then add the chicken on top......slightly higher in carbs because of the sweet potatoes..but gorgeous

• Options
    Good the evening before long run though Seren. Little bit oif strategic carbs.
  • Options

So I said I would be back after trialling MCT oil and trying to ascertain through my breath meter if I could measure an increase in ketone use!

Short answer is no I couldn't! However I have realised that the whole experiment is flawed anyway by the fundamental fact I was never going to be able to measure an increased use!

I have now been in ketosis fully for nearly 12 months and as a result my body burns fat and ketones for fuel, the level of fuel I burn is dependent on how much I need in any particular circumstance!  If my body needs an arbitrary 100 and I put in 20 exogenous through using MCT oil then my body will just produce 80 rather than 100 to square the circle! QED no increase in use!

I think where MCT would benefit is under race conditions where additional fuel is needed or during the adaptation stage to help the body get used to ketones as a fuel?

Interesting finding and thought provoked from a negative result though!

• Options

Pretty good day today......Up early this morning as GF starts work at 6.30 at weekends.   Slow cooker stuffed full of beef and gravy then off for fasted hill reps in the rain....

/members/images/889054/Gallery/hill.JPG

Eggs and bacon for lunch then some weights in the afternoon.   Slow braised beef with buttery green veg for diner followed by a check in with the tape measure

My Keto vital statistics....

Chest 112cm down to 105

Waist 115cm down to 91

Hips 120cm down to 110

Thigh 75cm down to 69

GF has similar losses without any of the training.

Planning a solo century ride tomorrow as it looks like it might be dry.

Motivated and loving this diet!

• Options

Hi all, just a note to say I'm still about and mainly lurking. I broke low carb in September and still fighting to get back on track. Carbs are addictive image. I'm great for a couple of days then cave and binge, not good. Still dropping weight though, just about.

Good showing TREJ impressive stuff. Your mug cake info inspired me today, not tried them before and short on calories, it was a good call. I over cooked it a bit and was still ok, it'll be awesome when I add cream (ran out).

• Options
    D0MD0M ✭✭✭
    Question, just switching over to LCHF, what did you all do in the initial weeks for nutrition on long rides? I am usually stacked up with carbs which I don't want to do, but don't want to bonk either. Until I am far adapted what should I do?
  • Options
    D0MD0M ✭✭✭
    'fat adapted' 
  • Options
    D0MD0M ✭✭✭
    Hi,
    Have switched over to LCHF 5-6 days ago, so am now at the stage of low glycogen stores but not fat adapted. Rode 41 miles this morning which was ok, but wouldn't have wanted to go much further without food. Question, in this interim period, what should i eat on long rides. Don't want to rely on carbs as that defeats the object, right?