10k training question

Hello!  

I am new to the forum and am very much a beginner.  

I am signed up for the Edinburgh 10k on the 6th November.  

I am not much of a runner and have very little experience in running.  I am 40 years old, am slightly overweight, and am trying to get a bit fitter.  I have done 3 parkruns, my aim in which was to run the whole way (in which very limited aim I was successful).  I am just back from the third parkrun and feel fine. I commute maybe 3 or 4 times a week by bike (4 miles each way) and have done for a number of years. I don't really do any running during the week, to be honest.  I have watched lots of videos on running form. I know that the 10k will push me.  

My question is:  should I do the parkrun next Saturday morning before the 10k on Sunday morning?  Or should I just leave it?  "Tapering"??!!

Thanks very much if you can give me some input on this question.  

Cheers, 

Patrick

Comments

• You can only just manage Parkrun But have entered an event of double the distance and want advice a week before the event ? 

Dont enter events when pissed ! 

•  

Really? What's so bad about it?  

I did my first 5k on next to no training and it went fine.  My cardio can't be that bad because of the cycling.  The 5ks really haven't hurt that much.  I acknowledge that the 10k will be a challenge, but I want to push myself.  

Why the negative attitude?  

If I can't do it then I will train up and do it again next year.  Or another race in a few months time.  

So what?  

And you didn't answer the question.  Should I do the 5k the day before or not?  

• I did 26 minute Parkrun the day before an Ironman a few weeks back.....

.... So only you know what you have done in training and how your body feels 

•  

Well congrats and all that.  I mean, you haven't really given that much in the way of constructive input.  

• you don't train, you have to walk parkrun.... What input do you want ? 

•  

Ran the whole way, buddy!  As I said above. 

Some people feel the need to put other people down the whole time.  Pretty sad. A sad reflection on humanity.  And I had heard that runners were a friendly bunch - clearly not the case in this instance at any rate. 

You have let the side down, mate.  

• im not your mate, and I'm a triathlete.

so the the whole of the 10k then 

• Mate, you are a bore.

Pathetic.

Couldn't you have been a bit more friendly? Was that just a bit too much for you?
  • nope still not your mate.

rather than watching videos of people running, have you not considered downloading a training plan ? The couch to 5k would be good place to start. And once you are comfortably running 5k's a couple of times a week move on to 10k ? 

A 4 mile bike commute can hardly be considered training, better than getting the bus but not doing a great deal for your run training.

Enjoy your 10kimage 

•  

Well thank you for your advice, and good luck for your own events.  

Peace out.  

• XX1XX1 ✭✭✭

Yet another newbie warmly welcomed image

• 200 views and no one else bothered to say hello 

• Hi Patrickmcm,

I recommend giving parkrun a miss, you'll probably end up walking chunks of the 10k doing a parkrun beforehand will just make it harder as you won't be recovered (regardless of how you feel).

I did a 10k from less fitness than you with 4 running weeks prep I walked big chunks but made it round ok, no reason you can't.

Trying to run it all is a big ask, however, you're probably not that far away from it. If that is your intent, try to aim to take it as slow as you can, and much much slower pace than your 5k. You don't mention your 5k time so can't really say more.

• I agree with Cunning Fox. Rest on the Saturday. At your stage of training, 10K will seem a long way, so better to go into it fresh. Of course, if you want to do parkrun for the attendance, you could always walk it - but I wouldn't run it.

•  

Thanks very much for your responses.  

Yes, I agree that resting on the Saturday seems to be the best way forward.  

What I plan to do, actually, is to just do another 5k on Thursday and then hopefully be fresh for the 10k on Sunday.  

I am under no illusions that the 10k will be demanding.  But yet I am still optimistic that I can make it.  Hopefully the atmosphere and my family supporting me will give me the boost that I need to carry me to the finish line.    

• your post does not really give enough details to comment. Generally (in my opinion) to give 10k events justice you need to be running 14ish km in your long runs.

Running events are some of the most uplifting things I have experienced. But they can be among the most depressing when not going well. Preparation is key.  

• PeersPeers ✭✭✭

Give parkrun a miss as others have said and just enjoy the 10k. I personally always leave 2 days before any event as complete rest days.  It works for me and I am fresh for the race.

Don't worry about time for your first one and don't worry if you need to walk any of it. Once you have done one you can see where you are and go from there. If you enjoy your first 10k and want to get faster, look at increasing your training during the week and maybe look at some training plans.

Best of luck!

• ClagClag ✭✭✭
    A better option ... volunteer at parkrun instead of running. That way you get the best of both worlds image Good luck!
  • As others have said, skip park run.  Run a couple of times this week...  but not after Friday... or maybe not after Thursday, as you plan.

It's not going to be warm for the race, so keep a family member close to the start so they can grab your jumper off you.  Or alternatively, wear a throw-away garment over your kit, and discard at the last minute.

Comfy clothing.  Bit of vaseline on your feet, between your thighs, on your nips, and anywhere you think might rub.

Set off noticeably slower than you think you can run.  When was the last time you exercised without a break for over an hour?  If you set out slowly, with determination to jog all the way, you might do it.  If I were you, that would be my aim. Slow. Steady. No walking.   But if you need to walk, then do.

Obviously you got a bit of stick for underpreparation earlier.  And you deserved it image  But you live and learn.   Hopefully you'll catch the bug.  Enjoy the day.

•  

Thanks guys.  Lots of great advice there.  Just running the whole way is all I am hoping for (and I appreciate that I might not achieve even that).  

I will be taking it slow and steady, rest assured!  Even if I have to walk then I will have found my limit and can start to train accordingly.  

I'll be back at the Parkrun as much as I can from now on, at any rate.  I've found it really enjoyable.  

Thanks again. I am actually quite looking forward to it, believe it or not.  

Patrick

• Fortunately it went fine in the end, and turned out to be a very positive experience. I ran the whole way, which had been pretty much my sole objective, and finished in Murrayfield stadium with a time of 1 hr 11 (not that the time mattered to me). My plan is to keep going with the park runs, and maybe to try another couple of 10 k runs next year. I'm pleased with how it's developed; two months ago I had never run 5k before in my life.

Thanks very much for all the really helpful advice, which stood me in good stead.