New Marathon Stirling Scotland

Brendan Foster on TV announcing new marathon in Stirling May 2017

Anyone know anymore where to enter etc ?

Comments

• OK guys found it £55 bit steep mind !!

• MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

It is, but on thinking about it I've paid more to enter other marathons in Europe (admittedly normally big city events), and it's nice to have what could be another good-sized marathon on the Scottish calendar in addition to Edinburgh & Loch Ness.  

I'll be at the start line - could be fun image

• plazzyplazzy ✭✭✭
    55 poond?

Get tae frig.

Rather book a cheap one abroad and jump on a ryanair.
  • Meadower

See you there if the race enteries are still open after 6/8 when I get back from hols. Wonder if they have a limit to size of field ?

plazzy agree but when you take in the air fare and race entry and accommodation would work out a lot dearer

!!

• rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭

Meadower I'll see you there too. I'm in.

• I'm in. As a local it seemed rude not to enter! Course all familiar territory - through my home town and even past my workplace. Very pleasant backdrop/ scenery- not out in the wilds as much as Loch Ness ( and no massive hills!) and not the boring/ grim bits you get at Edinburgh. Lots of places to stay around here and good transport links so I'm hoping it will do well. I reckon £55 is a tad steep but it doesn't seem to have put folk off around here - even non-runners seem keen to take part so I think it may fill up quickly, especially with it being the inaugural race. Anyone know how many places there actually are?

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Knowing Brendan/Great Run, about 50,000......... image

Hmm,  I might consider this one too.  Big Birthday next year, so I'm already thinking Fort William & Loch Ness.  One more wouldn't hurt, would it? image

• MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭

Nice one, rodeoflip.  I see another accidental meeting on the horizon!

I really fancy Fort William at some point, too, Nessie.  I think the three are just about evenly enough spaced so you don't have to feel too guilty about the treble image

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Ok, you've convinced me Meadower..............

Now to get hubby on board. image

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I'm in.  image  I've entered Loch Ness too, and I'll get my entry in for Fort William soon. Inverness Half in March as a wee warm up.

Expensive business, this running lark!

• Stirling is very expensive, but after being rejected from London will be aiming for this,as its not far from me. Will wait a while though as I increase my mileage before actually entering !!

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Yes, it is pricey, but as I'll be taking the family with me, we can all drive down, book early in a family room in a local Travelodge/Inn placey to get a reasonable deal, and make a weekend of it.  Although it's £55, the cheapest marathons these days are £35+, so the extra £20 wouldn't go far to get further afield from here.

• I  was just about to enter this since am travelling up for a wedding the day before but the start of the  race is awkwardly about 5 miles away from the finish.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Nice wee warm up jog to the start?image

I can't see anything on the website, but it might be worth checking if they are putting on a shuttle bus to the finish?

• There's a whole bunch from my running club signed up for this (maybe as many as 13), we're going to need to get a minibus arranged! Hope it's going to be a good one.

Looking at the course map, it looks like there's a 2-3 mile loop which gets repeated just before the finish, or have I misunderstood?

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

I remember the blurb saying that there was 2 laps of the city centre, so I think that's right.  Not sure how they will marshall that one?

• Yeah, there is a loop.  Not sure if the road's wide enough to fence off the folk coming back round the loop from those still to go round - more likely it'll be an honesty policy, which us good people will honour and some tired/unscrupulous folk will not!  No biggie, though, unless it happens right in front of me.  Then there will be unholy words shouted image

• Seems a bit silly to repeat a loop, I mean there's loads of beautiful scenery around Stirling, how hard can it be to find another 3 miles to run on? It's like they were designing the course and gave up after 23 miles, and thought f&*% it, just do that bit again?

Anyone caught sneaking off to the finish after one loop should be dragged back to the Safari Park and fed to the animals.

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Shuttle buses to the start will be provided, according to the Facebook page.
  • I was putting off entry for this until after new year but I just got an email stating that they have less than 1000 places left. Unsurprisingly I haven't been able to find any info on the actual race limit?

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭

What do you expect - it's a "Great Run". image

• NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    So, how is everyone's training going?

Inverness half in a couple of weeks will be my longest run to date, but will ramp up after that.  It's almost 10 years since I last ran a marathon, so trying to balance getting enough miles in without risking injury.

Looks from the route map that we will be running the loop in the city centre THREE times - I predict a lot of confusion!
  • Hello all,

Me and the brother-in-law are just pegging away nicely, last week was the longest run - 17 miles, enjoying a rest week this week, we're only doing 13.2 on Sunday (cant believe I'm calling that a rest)

Training is ticking over nicely - I've a few aches n pains in the shins but this is my first marathon so I'm putting that down to my legs just protesting about the extra miles (and also hoping its not shin splints)

I must admit the Triple Loop makes me a bit nervous too ... I would hate to zig when I should have zagged. Never mind it's a Great Run Event - they'll be sure to get the distance right ;)

Overall I think I'm there or thereabouts, being ready on race-day for my target of Sub-4 (hope I've got my sums right lol)

S
  • NessieNessie ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you are on track Steven.  I'm just aiming to get round - somewhere around 5:30 would be splendid, just to get me back in the marathon groove.

I'm sure they will make extra sure it's at least 26.2, given the fallout after Glasgow.  It'll have hit them in the purse having to offer discounts for next year.
  • It's my first ... so getting round is very much my primary goal.

Anyone I speak to that has run a marathon before, at some point takes an intake of breath and says 'those last six miles' so I'll train for Sub-4 but what I get is what I get.

Hope your training is still going well. Mine is currently being hampered by a seven-month old that wont let her daddy get his much needed rest lol.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Steven, ^^^ - sounds like you're doing well, you'll be fine. The last six miles are always the toughest, but at least the Stirling route gives you the choice of just not doing them!

At least it looks fairly flat, but it also looks like the route will be "less than optimal" once we reach Stirling itself. Will be interesting to see how this works out.
  • Hope your training is going to plan RF

"Less than optimal" - ever considered a career in politics? ;)

I'm just hoping they find some way of hiding the big welcoming finish line from my line of sight on the route - the idea of having to run past it twice before I can finally head towards it makes me feel sick just thinking about it.
  • rodeofliprodeoflip ✭✭✭
    Too honest for politics. And I like having a real job.

TBH, I wouldn't be surprised if the route changes between now and then - they've still got time, and the whole thing is a bit of a bodge once the route passes Causewayhead. They do a good job with organising half marathons, maybe they lost interest once they had a route which covered 13.1 miles and knocked something together before they went for lunch? Running through Stirling town centre will be good, but we don't need to do this twice, and certainly not three times. On the plus side, if they leave it as is, then you'll get plenty of support for the last few miles - this can really give you a lift when you need it most. The last few miles are always tough, but good support from the local crowd makes a big difference.

My training was going great until I got slightly carried away and ran 400 miles by mid-February, resulting in "non-specific lower back pain" (this was my doctor's diagnosis, I didn't find this incredibly useful). Last two weeks have seen much reduced mileage and even running in the swimming pool. I'm running Boston in just under 7 weeks and London 6 days later, so need to get myself sorted out PDQ and RFN. Starting to worry - can't afford to do my back in, but can't afford not to be training. The joys of marathon running - sometimes it seems like the hardest bit is just getting to the start line. :)
  • Sorry to hear about the injury RF, hopefully the reduced mileage and poolwork will reap the benefits and chase off the back pain. I can understand you not finding the diagnosis of much use "Non-specific lower back pain" is kinda what you told him when you sat down I would imagine.

It was suggested at one point that we run Edinburgh the week after Stirling and I vetoed that on the basis that the very idea terrified me - so Boston then London ... you must be keen lol.

400 miles by mid-February - I thought I was doing well at 235 miles at the end of February!

I have a silly goal for myself this year of running enough miles to get me from my front door to the Colosseum (1485 miles according to Google) currently I'm 'virtually' in a little town called Dinnington - I must admit I'm looking forward to running over the 'virtual alps' later on ... I have a funny feeling it's going to be a lot easier than than running over the actual alps.
  • MeadowerMeadower ✭✭✭
    Nessie said:
    So, how is everyone's training going?

Inverness half in a couple of weeks will be my longest run to date, but will ramp up after that.  It's almost 10 years since I last ran a marathon, so trying to balance getting enough miles in without risking injury.

Looks from the route map that we will be running the loop in the city centre THREE times - I predict a lot of confusion!
    How did you get on in Inverness, Nessie?  I was there too - mostly great weather, a shiny PB for me and burgers and drinks all round with the family afterward.  Happy days!

Training, unsurprisingly, going quite well it seems.  I've got Blackpool in April before Stirling, but if I get my recovery right, I should be able to have a decent crack at it.  

rodeo - what a crap time to pick up an injury!  Hope it isn't too bad and you can pick up again in the run up.  A reverse taper, perhaps?!  Jealous of you running Boston; will be some experience (back permitting).

Steven - Dinnington's right near a Butterfly and Falconry place...sounds great. Maybe stop off there for a bit!  As for the 'silly goals'; whatever gets you motivated to keep going isn't silly!

As for the finish, slightly concerned at the loops for two reasons: how are they going to funnel people the right way, and prevention of slower runners impeding the quicker ones.  Cheating will be nice and easy, too.  Doesn't particularly bother me, I'm hardly going to win the thing, but still. I expect chaos, but at least it's a novelty taking to the streets for the first one!