Sub 3

Comments

• Go MsP!

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Well done Amy. Podium place. Brilliant.
  • That's a cracking result, there's some good names behind her.  World Championships bronze medalist doesn't sound too bad, does it?

Is she back for the XC tomorrow? image

• imageimageimage

Fantastic!!  The last time I spoke to her this evening, she was in between a podium presentation and a drugs test.  Blimmin' elite athletes!  She's back on Sunday for beers and food and rest.  image

https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15032218_10154714140244595_912560147706559060_n.jpg?oh=5ce5d87add65fd59d6026e4e65f417d7&oe=5895DA58

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭
    Awesome result Mrs PP!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Great work Ms PP !

PP - you had best retire before you become the 2nd best runner in the household ! undderstood re that session being year round and not VLM specific this time of year, trying to hit VLM specific paces in November is a big ask mentally (and then to keep that going mentally).

I have found a routine of a couple of turbo's, a 90min to 2hr weekend ride, some short swim sessions and some strength work each week, not much volume but that's the idea this side of the New Yaer and a nice change. I fancy adding some C2 rowing which would be good for my cycling and good for the strength work, but I'm not going to get a gym membership going for the odd rowing session a week.

• TR - I'm looking forward to the time when she's quicker than me... as long as I'm not slowing down too much!

I seem to have survived my race-double weekend without feeling tooo knackered.  Yesterday was Surrey League XC match 2, which we won comfortably and moved to top of the league.  Team was definitely stronger than last time and I was edged into 11th scorer despite running better. I was 51st overall compared to 58th in the first match.

Then today I tested my recovery skills by racing the Epsom 10 and the result was pleasantly satisfying.  The only other time I've doubled up with XC + 10 mile race was with the Cabbage Patch 10 a few years ago, and I remember my hammies being in bits, but I felt pretty fresh today and think I paced the hilly/undulating first half well enough to keep it going and comfortably hold on to third place on a very lonely run. Garmin time 57:24, which is within half a minute of my Maidenhead 10 time in Spring, which is flat, so that's good.  Race winner was Scott Overall nearly five minutes up the road.  I cycled there and back for a 42 mile round trip, so a good endurance block all round.  Oh, I won a beanie, a bag, and £50 hard cash!  image  Good to see CD who seems to have run this one almost as many times as the London Marathon.  Tis a nice race, I have to say.

All that remains now is to see whether my Southern Vets gold medal is any more bling than MsP's World Championship (team) one.  And drink lots of booze. image

• Remember that low-key 10 miler that PP and I were doing?  Well, Lord Didd's nemesis Scott Overall turned up as an entry on the day.  Needless to say, even PP didn't see much of him.  Very pleased with my performance though, 60:30 which was a lot better than I'd hoped for and only 15s or so slower than last year.  Didn't make the vets' prizes though, not with PP around.

• Shame about the pot hunters CD image

Nice prize winning PP.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • HH

Awesome stuff Mrs PP, and a very nice result yourself.  Also, an excellent result for mutual friend Miss O, even although she doesn't frequent this page.  Some real quality coming through on the GB team as a whole with Ross Houston running superbly.  When will you step over the boundary to ultra PP?

A local 10k for me yesterday - wasn't expecting too much given my lack of speedwork (mainly just base miles over the last month or so), and gave myself a 38min target.  An exceptionally twisty course, in very wet and windy conditions, so although essentially flat, I think 30-35 secs could have come off my actual 38.08 time. 

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1446839170

• PP - Congrats to your other half, what an amazing result. Some not too shabby running from yourself.

RB - That's a very promising performance.

CD - Great 10miler.

I was hit with the lurgy last week but hopefully it's cleared now.  I managed 25 miles on the Treadmill on Saturday, with 25K @3.36/k (3hr pace for 50K) 1K easy then 12K @3.34/k pace.  Aerobically strong but my legs took a bit of a battering.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Massive congrats MsPP! Looks like it was a pretty good battle with the German woman who finished just ahead. PP - she'd probably give you a good race over 50k already, although obviously you can take her over shorter distances at the moment. Nice double race, that's a solid 10M time the day after XC and with the cycling around it.

CD - good effort, shame about the pot-hunters!

RB - solid 10k in those conditions. I reckon sharp corners cost more time than you would intuitively think.

SL - yes, with 25K at 2:32 marathon pace you're obviously very ill! How do you think the pace/HR compares on the treadmill compared to the road?

Second Sunday League XC yesterday, which is the lower standard league. I won again, more comfortably this time, with the same guy in 2nd. I didn't want a solo run so planned to not lead for a while, but after a mile I was holding back quite a lot so pushed on, gradually pulled away to win by at least 30s. 28:3x for 5.2M (5:30 average) on wet grass with some undulations, but nothing too severe.

• Padams - Congrats on the win. The thing I've noticed is that the treadmill is far easier on the legs(especially the quads), a lot harder on the mind and about equal for pace/HR comparison, that's based on feeling rather than any science. I also think I have more top end pace on a treadmill I ran a 32.13 10K with 1k easy and then a 16min 5k, there's no way I could do that outside.  Easy running at 6-7.30m/mile is hellish on a treadmill. 

• PP, congratulations on the vets prize.

CD, well raced at Epsom as well.

Padams, well won.

SL, that is ridiculously good.

RB, good work on the 10K race. I also ran one, and had a similar performance actually - 38:20. I was a bit disappointed given that I was 30s faster a week ago. I always struggle at Regent's Park for some reason. The undulations just don't suit me. I'm trying my hand at this Parkrun malarkey on Saturday so we'll see how that goes.

• HH

$hitting hell SL, that's corking.

ES - I'm only doing this to stop Joolska the pedant, but.....parkrun!  parkrun!!!  all lower caseimage  Good run btw.

• Haha, I hadn't picked up on that RB! Now I'm seeing it everywhere. They don't even capitalize it at the start of a sentence or in article titles. Good branding, but bad grammar image.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

RB - good pedantry. I'd noticed that - I don't like it but good branding as ES says.

SL - that concurs with what I feel on a treadmill - slow running (e.g. 8m/m) feels harder, medium (6-7 m/m) feels about the same and fast running feels easier. Something like:

Equivalent road pace = (Treadmill pace - 7m/m) x 1.2 + 7m/m

• Nice maths Padams! I don't think I've ever seen an equation in this forum before. Unless it was one relating to washing machine performance!

• Opinions sort, I'm considering Seville or Barcelona for a tilt at a marathon PB, I know a few have run Barcelona (Dan, Padams, Wardi) and I think Ryan has run Seville. Seville would be ideal as it's early Feb giving me plenty of time to train for mountain running.

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

SL - did you see that Mike Wardian won the Las Vegas marathon yesterday and simultaneously broke the "fastest Elvis" WR with 2:38. 

After you've broken his treadmill record, maybe you could have a crack at that. I could lend you the gear!!

Seville & Barca both are quick marathons; will hopefully be able to say the same about Valencia this time next week. 

• I'll leave spelling pedantry to others SL, but with the form you seem to be in right now I'd be tempted by Seville, if you're going to be able to get the miles in over the Xmas break.  If Xmas & new year are going to be a write-off then go for Barcelona.

On the other note, it may be good branding but grammar trumps branding so capital P at the start of a sentence.

• DanA - Yep I saw it on twitter, what a great time. Didn't he also break a world record for fastest cumulative time across the marathon majors or something similar?  How's the taper madness?

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

SL.. I was looking at Seville for 2017 but it is a tricky place to get to from up North so I chose Barca again.  I think both races are organised by the same folks/sponsors and both are highly thought of - I know Ryan S loved Seville.  Barca is logistically very easy as long as your hotel is reasonably near the HQ - the start/finish & Expo are all in one place.  There is a slight ascent between 3k-9k but you don't notice it much as the legs are still fresh, the rest is pretty flat.  Cracking atmosphere, plenty of decent competition and about 15-18,000 runners.  This video should give you an idea..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74xgOfS3nfg

Please do Barca, I need someone to get me a large Estrella lined up for when I finish image.  If you have any questions about hotels etc ask away.

• HH

Barca is indeed a great course (slight incline in the last 200m which you don't want as you sprint for the line), and exceptional organisation.  The only general downside is that if it's warm (25C the year I did it), there isn't much shade on the course.  Also, very importantly this year, Messi et al are playing away from home that weekend.  When I did it,  I ran 2.56 I think, had a few beers, and then bought 2 tickets for £40 each on the way to the ground to watch Messi score a hat-trick on the way to a 7-nil victory.  A good day out.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

RB.. nice work on the 10k in those conditions. I think you were unlucky that year in Barca - the last 2 years have been blue sky (as per the video), but about 10 degrees at the start rising to 14-16 at the finish.  They have invited all 6 medallists from the 1992 Olympic marathon for 2017 as it is a 25 year anniversary.  All 6 are doing the breakfast run and 2 are doing the marathon apparently.

Nice 10k from ES too.

Congrats on the XC win Padams.

PP.. a decent prize haul there!  Thoroughly decent time from CD too.

Got back from hols last night to find phone & internet dead.  Apparently the workmen repairing the town bridge managed to chop through a BT cable so the East side of town is relying on carrier pigeons & semaphore.  I currently have the main PC tethered to the mobile to get online. Never a dull moment here!

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    RB - I was at the same match (v Osasuna I think). Picked up an injury in the taper fortnight so couldn't run despite flights/hotels etc being booked. Good w/e on the beers though.

Even so, my 1st, 2nd, 3rd & 5th best marathon times (out of 40-50 road marathons) have come in Barca so I'd always recommend it as a great race.

Nice XC'ing going on around here at the mo.
  • Dan - good luck for this weekend!

SL - stunning treadmill workout!

PP - massive congrats to MsPP! Nice back to back racing from you too!

Nice racing also CD, RB, Padams, & ES.

I didn't finish off last week the way I'd hoped. Legs were too thrashed to do the planned long run on Friday, so took the day off, just done two short easy runs on Saturday, and then a 9 (including xc)/4 double on the Sunday to make 81m for the week.

XC was sh!t. Back/hamstring were both tight and I was struggling with CNBA to boot, so 17th @ 5:55m/m for 5.75m on a flat course was about as much as I deserved. Rightly whipped by some of my clubmates.

• HH

DanA - it was indeed Osasuna.  If only I'd known you were there!  It was a (then) work jolly, so all expenses paid inc race entry and a few freebie bits of stuff from sponsor asics.  Trip up the cable car and Olympic Stadium on the Monday followed by Las Ramblas and a lunch at one of the stalls inside the La Bouqueria.  I do like Barcelona.