Training for a shorter Tri

Comments

• I had a wee cold last week leading up to the ultra which gave me pause but I lined up at the start - everyone took off quite fast image I wasn't keen on that so let them go and just kept on going - I found the hills and the mud and the sunshine and the bling.  It took a while but my body was happy to keep moving forward.  The only hitch was I got lost in the last five kms image don't follow Buttercup!  The 10 km between checkpoint 3 and 4 was super hilly and took forever image some points I thought I'd like to have had my poles, but all good.  My tummy was happy and I wasn't exhausted image and no blisters!!

Happy Days.

• well done buttercup, sounds like a good day out image

might try a little run tomorrow. Car has been in for servicing today, and I had appointments for the kids at dr, dentist and hairsressers, so I have literally spent the day walking to and from town with them! Hoping I might be ok to do the Worksop half on Sunday, but need to have done a few runs beforehand to make sure I am ok to do it

• image Ay up sorry hadn't said hello for a bit afraid my laptop is now dead just managed to borrow Sarah's. Got loads of news I'm a london Reject again and not done much lately but the good news is through done lincoln, birmingham halfs and Leicester marathons in the last few weeks and get to play in worksop this weekend Maths I can meet you by the bacon van by the markets before the race if you fancy.image 

Plus and this is massive news been the pitter patter off tiny feet in the cake house hold as taken in to rescue kittens from a feral cat nearby as I'm sure Mrs Cakes Farsebook cat overload will testify. little'uns called Arthur and Molly which means something for Harry potter fans?image

• cake - the start isn't in the market place this year, but if there are bacon vans I will look for you there! Not convinced I will make it yet - didn't run today and am still coughing loads but will decide Saturday

the kittens are gorgeous!

• image it's one of the signs of the apocalypse next you will be telling me there isn't that cracking hill anymore.

Just listen to your body lass you might be fine or you might need to rest.

• Good to hear from you Cake.

I walked from the station to work and back again, no cheating and hopping on a bus, so  I must be getter better and thinking about doing the pier to pier swim at Bournemouth in the summer, just need to convince Mr Steady that it is a sensible idea and is possible given all the projects that need doing around the house.

• cake - don't worry, there is a still a hill image I will be sensible - I was off work all the week before half term so I don't want to push myself to do a half marathon if not fuly fit and end up being off again!

well done steady! How far is the pier to pier swim? Should be doable I think

• decided that I wasn't recovered enough to do a half marathon today, shame because I love Worksop half!

• Look after yourself MC.

Pier to pier is 1.4 miles so doable, but I have only swum in the sea in a wetsuit a few times and find I get a bit seasick due to the extra bouyancy.

I had a go at this running lark again. Yesterday I went out for 1.5 miles and did 1 min run 2 minutes walk after a warm up. My quads are hurting today but otherwise no problems. Might give it another go next weekend.

• yay, well done steady!

• image Nice one steady.  

Worksop was funish but wasn't the same without maths. Thinking Clowne might be a laugh if you fancy it.image

• yeah, I have entered Clowne, it is only a few weeks away!

• Great racing Buttercup!  And very exciting kitten news Cake - we have 3 rescue cats because I'm a sucker for a sob story!  Hope they're behaving themselves.  Well done Steady!

I'm still here, mainly swimming at the minute.  I've got about 3 and a half weeks of the channel distance swim I signed up to and so far I've done about 8 miles (of 22). image My swimming is massively improving though and when I went the other day I managed 100 lengths!  Feels a bit surreal because I still feel like a non-swimmer!

• image I still feel like a non-swimmer its all relative and confidence is a factor.

You've done 8 miles thats nothing to sniff at so no image should be imageimage Just 15 miles left.

• If you're looking to put together a training plan and not sure where to start, check out these guys - they blog and are also launching a course showing you how to plan your triathlon training:

Coach Yourself Triathlon

• Quiet in here at the moment, hope it is because you are all training hard, unlike me fully of snotty and grotty cold germs on top of a stomach bug.

I really ought to get my act together and enter a race or 2 for next year to give me something to aim for. Thinking of a couple of sprint tri's and possibly the Bournemouth pier to pier swim.

• 2 weeks of solid training done for my upcoming ultra. 33 miles ran last week, 31 the week before. Went to the gym twice last week, and once the week before. Dialling it back slightly this week, from 5 runs down to 4 to give myself an extra rest day to give the legs chance to recover, but still increasing my long run up to 18 miles this weekend, which will be fun...

• image I've been right lazy need to enter races and stuff

• There's a nice little ultra in 59 days...
  • I am entered for Clowne half this weekend, but currently suffering with a cough since from when I had flu - and think it is getting worse. OH is starting to suggest I should be going to the drimage

I did have a good weekend though - spinning, 2 x swimming and a slow 9 mile run/walk

mallow - I have feeling that nice little ultra is going to be tough!

• MC, from your description of a cough since the flu, if it has been 4 weeks, then time to visit the GPimage

I need to decide on races for next year, but think that I ought to do it the right way round and book holiday time first so there are no clashes or mad panics to train.

• Nah it'll be easy as anything... S'only 45 miles...

• So, who is lugified? Who is managing to train? What you got planned next year? Nearly 2017!!!! I'm just hoping for a better year next year! image

• Hi MrsD - I still seem to be lurgified, awful cough...... am going to go spinning this morning though and if I manage that I might swim too....

I seem to have been unwell for about 6 weeks now and have missed all my autumn races image

• I'm not lurgified at the mo. Managing to train as well, though doing nothing but running at the moment in an attempt to be some sort of ready for this daft ultra in 7 weeks time...

• They do seem to linger these lurgies! Hope you feel better soon Maths and training went ok.

Ive noticed you've been putting some miles in Puffy. Nice work, look forward to seeing how you get on at C2C.

Ive started my 30 weeks for Lakesman. Fingers crossed all goes according to plan image

• ooh exciting for lakesman MrsD

I didn't get to swimming - I was on my way and hit a traffic jam that wasn't moving so went for a run instead. I have spent the afternoon doing nothing!

considering getting a smart turbo but it is difficult to decide which...

• Getting to the point now MrsD where I've got some confidence that I'll actually manage it. And I get to catch up with you lot as well regardless
  • Ooh, lots of good training going on in here!  Hope you're feeling better now though Maths.

I finished my swim!  22 miles in 12 weeks.  So happy with myself.  If you'd have told me this time last year I'd even be able to swim 20 lengths I would have laughed at you.

Now back to that pesky half marathon I entered for January!  I was the tail runner for a 10k santa dash this morning so that's eased me back into running nicely.  Oh, and I managed a whole bike ride on Friday without falling off at the lights!  Things are looking up!