P&D spring marathon 2017

Does starting this thread mean I have to do it?

Tagged:

Comments

• I'm not doing it. I have just entered London though. image

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Do what Reg, P&D or a marathon? 

I'm just doing a DIY program with bits of P&D for London. 

• both, currently I'm not doing either....that may change though.

• Oh, I took 'it' to mean just the P&D bit. Do a marathon, Reg. Marathons are twice as much fun as half marathons and they're easier because you get to run slower.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Maybe you could just get Joe to enter an extra one as you.

• Are headbands no longer compulsory for marathons now..?

I'm planning on doing Manchester again.  I'll be sticking to the 70 - 85 P&D plan, incorporating more of the supplementary work (core, flexibility, strength, drills) into my own training, and naturally keeping up my coffee habit. image

Have a good day. image
  • Been waiting for this one image

I'm in...P&D 18 weeks up to 55 miles for Manchester, started already due to a 2 week holiday where I'll just run easy to keep the miles up.

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

There's also the P&D group on Strava if you're keen to stalk other threadsters.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/176424

Solid plan Ollie. Welcome Steve.

• I'm in again for London. Did someone have some P&D spreadsheets on the last thread ? I swore off P&D as too tough last time but might follow HA77's strategy and pick and choose - particularly lining up a few races to help me through the tougher sessions.

• Welcome Steve.

Ollie, headbands are not compulsory, it's purely down to whether you can pull off the look. I can't.

Yes - Muddy, happy to email it to you if you PM me.

Lit - I am doing a marathon as part of the long course weekend (Wales marathon) in July. If I feel good and do the miles I may do Manchester too. I'm focusing more on cycling this winter. I will probably do a light version of P&D.

• Here we go again... I've just entered VLM too but not really relishing the idea of a marathon. Maybe I'll do it in fancy dress.

• as a koala presumably.

• That wouldn't be fancy dress, Reg. Slowkoala is already a koala.

• ...which is just as well because if you have only just entered, SK, presumably you are on the champs start, where fancy dress is not allowed.

• but real koalas are allowed?

• I've not seen in the rules that they aren't. As long as they can run the qualifying time using their tiny koala legs.

• I think koalas are allowed as long as they wear a club vest, so I should be OK. The fancy dress would just be an excuse not to train and to run slowly. Didn't Paul Martelleti have a champs number when he ran as spiderman? (Not that he ran slowly). I guess he is a running celeb though and probably had to use the green start.

HA77 - that koala is too speedy for me. Didn't realise there were only 2 of us in the Uk.

• I think he used the blue start, because I saw him, but he might have been made to start outside the pen or something.

• He was in the champs start because he is actually a real spider that does almost all of his other races in fancy dress, as a human. There's nothing in the rules about real spiders.

• Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Here we go again then....let the insanity begin!! Back to back 15 mile MLRs at 4:15 am anyone?

• Tom - I hope thats not a 30 miler at 4:15am, in either case, think I'll pass thanks.

London for me, dressed as a knacca ,maybe.

I think I'll follow P&L to get my half down then 9 weeks of P&D.
  • MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Wow I go to Peterborough for 2 days and it's all changed.

Not 100% decided on next year's plan but it will be based on P&D 55-70. Not sure if 18 or 12 weeks. "A" race will be London, as usual.
  • Tom13Tom13 ✭✭✭

Morning all.

Think I'll be following P&D 55-70 18 week plan before a jaunt round the streets of London. Have Wokingham and Reading HMs booked beforehand and hopefully will be in decent enough shape to justify a position on the 'Champs' start....someway off that at the moment......plenty of time (I keep telling myself!!).

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

15 miles at 4:15am sound relatively sane compared to spiders dressing as championship runners.  Anyway, spiders should totally be disqualified because: a) 4 times as many legs has to be an advantage and b) they do not wear headbands.

I haven't entered yet, but will be back on the old faithful 55-70 if I manage to survive doing two jobs and setting up my own business in the next few months image 

• HA77HA77 ✭✭✭

Good to see everyone keen.

Big day yesterday. 9 miles easy at lunch, then track session (including run to/from) for a 22 mile day. Track session was 4x3min, 4x4min with 1 min jog recovery. As it's a big day I don't go all out so did them a touch under MP and a bit faster for the last one.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on doing a long day like yesterday as a substitute for a long run? With the baby still only 4 months old I don't want to take 3 hours away from family time so am trying this as an alternative. I'll get in a few proper long runs next year though. And no Tom, I'm not getting up at 4:15.

Entered Wokingham half and thinking of also doing the Fleet half, which is 5 weeks out from London (same day as Reading I think).

• HA - There was an interesting article doing the rounds on cumulative fatigue advocating doing a medium run and a shorter long run the next day. I guess this is similar. I think that kind of day wold injure me.

I did a 20 minute FTP test on the indoor bike lat night, talk about a painful sweatfest.

• Hi everyone - I thought after a couple of years of reading and enjoying the P&D threads I would actually join in!

I'm in for London and am thinking about loosely doing the 55-70M 18 week plan. In the build up to Chester Marathon this year, I really enjoyed doing the Steve Way BAC sessions (available on his website) - so might replace the LT sessions with these (apologies, my first post in the thread has been to discuss going off plan - heinous!).

I've joined on Strava (Josh Hand) and really look forward to following everyone's training.

PS Hi Lit - well run again for Chester! She was very courteous and paced me the whole way round before allowing me to sneak ahead at the end. Mind you, the winners cheque should have made up for it image

• MadbeeMadbee ✭✭✭

Don't worry Sorequads, everyone likes to think they have better ideas than Mr Pfitz, most of us deviate a reasonable amountimage  Well done you for Chester too - you feature as a key person in lit's race report, you know image

HA, I don't think it's a .  While I think there is benefit to cumulative fatigue, nothing prepares you for running a long way in one go as effectively as...running a long way in one go.

It's raining a lot.  Going out after work is looking very unappealing...

• Hi Josh! Yeah, I was being nice when I 'let' you win.

HA - I'm not sure I can see the point of doing 800s at MP, but I suppose if you're doing a group session to be sociable it's a compromise. However, I would not be bothering with 20 mile runs  (or nearest equivalent) for London before January anyway, so I'm not sure how starting now with a 22-mile day resembles a 'build-up'.