Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Running rodent - thanks for the advice image
  • TTTT ✭✭✭

Hello, total Paris newbie. I am debating between Paris and Milan for a Spring marathon. I was meant to run Nice Cannes this weekend but injury has stopped that one. May I ask? How easy is it to run a PB at Paris? Is it so crowded it is really tough? I am aiming for 3.37-3.45 so might just run with a pacer. Is this a good idea? All comments welcome! 

• Hi TT. Paris is where all the cool kids are image. I ran my PB there, 3:49. It is crowded in places, especially around the pace you're targeting, but the start pens are pretty well managed, so it's not impossible to put in a good time, and the course itself is pretty flat and fast.
  • Hi TT. Welcome to the forum. I don't know the course in Milan, but I'd say the time you're aiming for is doable in Paris. I was running about 3.45 pace last year (well until 18 miles when it all went wrong, but that was my fault) and it was never that crowded. I think the advice here last time if you were really gunning for 3.45 and worried about the size of the field, was to start at the back of the 3.30 pen, then you definitely won't have a problem, you just have to resist the urge to go off too fast. Interestingly in the article about Ken Young in this month's RW he reckons Paris and Berlin are the two fastest marathons. And thanks to this forum Paris is definitely one of the friendliest and best supported...

• Hi TT

I found the course busy but not crowded and was able to run my own pace throughout without struggling round people. I was in the pink pen & the biggest holdup was people stoping dead to take pics of landmarks so maybe start a pen ahead with the slightly more serious runners! image
  • TTTT ✭✭✭

Thank you all for your comments. Signed up! Took your advice and went for the 3.30 blue pen and will start right at the back. Also means starting at 0900 which is better for me. Thank you for the welcome (23303). 

• https://20marathons2016.wordpress.com/2016/11/10/no-16-marine-corps-marathon-washington-dc/

https://20marathons2016.wordpress.com/2016/11/11/no-17-new-york-new-york/

Welcome all, and hello everyone ..... sorry I've not been around, life's been hectic and is likely to remain so for a while yet.

Hope everyone is doing well or getting well !

Take care all x

• TT - Welcome to the thread.

I've ran PB's twice in Paris, so I'd certainly recommend it as a PB course.

Great reports again Nodster.
  • Hi All,

I ran Nice-Cannes on Sunday. It was very Fine weather, sunshine, light wind from the back, 16 degrees, Perfect for a easy race. As my coach says I was running constant 5:50/km splits and finished in 4:07:05. Interestingly, in the 12.000 runners there were the Brits the biggest foreigner Group. You know where to runimage

Next Edition is on 5 November 2017 and I will earn my third Finisher Star!

For those who like to run the French Riviera - there will be the first Edition of a Saint Tropez Marathon in March 2018. I definitely will be there!

Have good runs!
  • Well done Franz!
  • TTTT ✭✭✭

It was amazing in Nice for the marathon, I was there as we booked everything and injury hit! Well done Franz you sound as if you had great time. I must admit I like running in France, the French seem to be much more serious and treat runners really well. 

• LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

TT - Interesting comment. The French are more serious than where? How have you been treated better and in what way?

• TTTT ✭✭✭

Very small sample of races in France but they have all had far more medical support and marshalls than most races I have done in England. I would also say the French, in the small number of races I have seen or participated in, seem to be happier with road closures. I ran the Hull marathon as part of a relay team in 2015 and people were trying to drive through the marshals!!! It was a nice touch when I ran in a small French 10km to be greeted at the end with 'the English runner' (maybe it was because they could not pronounce my surname!?!)

• I have run races in a number of European countries including the UK but I Never experienced such a fine race as Nice-Cannes. I felt that the People were happy about the runners visiting Nice despite of all the Terrorism Troubles.
  • LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Nice-Cannes sounds like a great event. I already know it is a super setting. One for the list.

• List fairy, could you please add me to the Temple Newsam Ten on the 8th January, and the Bahtat marathon on the 11th June. If anyone's local to West Yorkshire , and fancies something different the Bahtat marathon and half marathon is a new trail event taking place on Ilkley Moor.
  • Hi All  Legster's in the house.  No idea what I've been messing about at not being on the forum till now.  Hope you're all doing well. I won't be doing Paris next year I'm sorry to say but I'd like to lurk if that's alright with you.  I will miss it soooooo much. London had better live up to the hype is all I can say because I have given up Paris for it.  I was supposed to do it this year but after Paris I got really ill and had to defer it. So anyone who is doing Paris for the first time you are going to LOVE it!!

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hello everyone! I've been a bit AWOL from here recently! 

Ran Valencia on Sunday, and can proudly say for the first time that I ran every step of the step of the way. I wasn't sure how it would go as I missed a bit of training right when I needed it due to a horrible cold that took a while to shift, but my main goal was under 5 hours, and under 4:45 would have been nice, so I'm ecstatic to have crossed the line in 4:44:13!

I would recommend it to anyone - seems to be a very 'local' race albeit with 20,000 runners. I was mostly surrounded by Spanish and a quite few Italians all the way round. Crowd support was good and got better the closer to you got to the end, along with the scenery, which is much better than the other way round! 

I've been nursing a sore throat since yesterday though, so hoping I won't come down with another snot fest to hamper my post marathon tapas and wine binge!

• NellsNells ✭✭✭

Better late than never:

Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.
    Nov 26: Saxon Shore Saturday - Nodster, Kenno. Chasewater xmas pudding dash 10k - Christopher Field.
    Nov 27: Saxon Shore Sunday - Nodster, Stuchbury. Florence Marathon - Tired legs.
    Dec 11: Telford 10k - Christopher Field, Tired legs.
    Dec 18: Portsmouth Coastal Waterside - Nodster, Loubella, TBO2.

Jan 1: Roundman's birthday.
    Jan 3: OO52's birthday.
    Jan 7: Polar Night Half Marathon - LloydR
    Jan 8: Temple Newsam 10 - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday. Brass Monkey Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 5: Dewsbury 10K - Andy-W-.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 19: Hampton Court Half - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Feb 26: Brighton Half Marathon - baldstan.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 5: Pafos Marathon - Andy-W-. Milton Keynes 20 miles - Christopher Field. St Helens 10K- ryantilley.
    Mar 12: Bath half - Christopher Field. Southend-on-Sea Marathon - kenno. North London Half Marathon - ryantilley.
    Mar 19: Reading Half - The Jimbob. Alloa Half - KennyM.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 2: Manchester Marathon - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2, Christopher Field.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.
    Apr 9: Paris Marathon
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 17: Boston Marathon - Slinkyminky.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday. London Marathon - The Jimbob, agentpenguin. Hamburg Marathon - KennyM.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    Apr 26: Nells' birthday.
    May 1: Milton Keynes Marathon - Christopher Field.
    May 14: Leeds Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: TBO2's birthday.
    May 27: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster.
    May 28: Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon - Andy-W-, Orbutt. Liverpool Rock n Roll Half - Christopher Field.
    May 29: Vitality 10,000 - The Jimbob, Nells.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 11: Bahtat marathon - Karen Bowman 2.
    Jun 23: Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 9: Leeds 10k - Andy-W-.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 6: York 10K - Andy-W-.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Oct 6: Slinkyminky's birthday.
    Oct 8: Yorkshire Marathon - Andy-W-, Christopher Field.
    Oct 15: Birmingham Marathon - Christopher Field.
    Oct 22: Great South Run - Loubella.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.

Apr: Two Oceans

• Brilliant running Nells, well done ..... parkrun PB's and plenty of long runs indicated you'd do well. Sounds like one to do. Lots of vitC and Echinacea now ?

Hi LMB, there'll be a fair few lurker's I think .... I'm one of them image

• Nells can you put me in for London Marathon, Liverpool Rock n Roll marathon and Birmingham marathon please? Fank oo.
  • Hi Nells, could I please ask the list fairy to add me for the Klammlauf www.klammlauf.at on Dec 26?

Klammlauf can roughly be translated into gorge run, it is a 15k trail run.

I hope there will be some snow, it would add a lot of FUN!
  • Hello. My running has been going well recently - some good times and distances and now I've got a cold ????????????

• Well done Nells, if I don't get into the New York marathon next year I will definitely be having a go at the Valencia marathon.

• hi everyone, i'm back on the forum and while I haven't posted for a while.

I have been active on a few races with some of you. I've just entered Paris again so i'm all in from now on image . I've been reading the posts so am aware of what everyone is up too. Hope everyone is enjoying the cold weather as much as I am image

could the list fairy (Nells) add me to the following please imageimage

Saxon Shore Saturday (with Nodster and Kenno)

Thanet 10 miler 4th Dec

Staplehurst 10 miler on the 27th Dec

Paris Marathon No 37420

Thanks

Darren

• Good luck st Saxon Shore everyone!

I'm currently exploring northern Thailand. No running, but plenty of great food. Another week in the country before returning to the lovely weather back home!
  • Hello all.
    I've been away from the forum for quite some time now as I did get rather overwhelmed. I've gained some excellent friends through this group and the meet-ups in Paris so just wanted to say a hello to all.

I'll be running my 4th Paris this coming April and I look forward to seeing old and new faces alike.

I hope pre-training is going well for all as you face the colder weather and dark nights.

nat

• Also...... I am organising the annual t-shirt order for 2016-17  image

I think this is the 5th batch of Where the Foch tees? and here are a few images to give you som idea of what will be available.

First is a sketch of the proofs for example colour and logo positions. Tees and vest will be Orange this year, long sleeves are available in Blues.

Second is a photo of fine bunch of us showing off our purple tees at the Arc photo meet before the 2015 race. They are a great talking point throughout the race when other runners have a giggle at the phrase.

Third the styles available.
    All tops are Cool technical fabrics.
    All are available in both mens and girlie fit.
    All have the logos on the front, Text on the back is optional, although you have to admit it's a clever phrase!

Prices- we are looking at around £13 but this will go down depending how many orders there are.

PM me if you want in, with your order, and an email address if you don't mind.

nat

/members/images/791287/gallery/forumJ.jpg