Options

First time London Marathon - training and support

Hi All,

Am running first Marathon at London 2017, thus my reason for joining this site Reading through the threads, it seems that the Hal Higdon Novice 1 programme is popular for first time marathon runners.   Can anyone confirm whether in fact this is the ideal programme for a marathon novice?  I currently run 6-7K three times a week and obviously I need to build this up.

Any views gratefully received. 

If anyone is in the Upminster/Rainham/Hornchurch area and can offer any support or would appreciate any support in return, please feel free to message.

Best wishes

Michael 

Comments

• Options
    NessieNessie ✭✭✭

Yes, Hal Higdon plans are excellent - be sure to read all the advice and pace receommendations though, don't just look at the numbers.

There's not a huge difference between Novice 1 and Novice 2, so if after a few weeks you are finding it too easy, have a look at Novice 2 and maybe incorporate a bit more, but N1 is a great starting point.

Have fun!

• Options
    MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    Id agree with Nessie. When I started training for my first marathon I was currently running 5 miles 3 times a week. I started out using the first few weeks of the novice 1 plan to build the milage up and then moved up to the novice 2 after a few weeks.
  • Options

Thank you both.  That's great. 

• Options

Come and join us on the VLM First-Timer thread - loads of helpful advice:

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/forum/spring-marathon/vlm-2017/323155.html

Hal Higdon plans do seem to get positive comments. Most plans are very similar, it comes down to what looks sensible for you.

I'm just following the beginner plan in the VLM magazine, with a few extra weeks thrown in to lengthen it out a bit (and build up the long runs more slowly to avoid a recurrence of my knee injury).