Options

Hard Running

Hi all,

My first post. I've been running for just over 3 months now, 2 or 3 times a week, and have reached some very satisfying personal targets. Not huge but ones that felt good.

I don't have anyone to relate my times to and wondered if they were ok.

Best 3k is approx 14:45

Best 4K is approx 19:58

Best 5k is exactly 26:01

And longest run is 7km, which has really mentally and physically tough, and was 39 minutes

I'm 48, about 14st, 5'11"

My question to you more experienced runners out there, is, will it always feel like hard work , and should I be satisfied with what I'm doing?

Every run still feels hard work, but I'm not sure whether that's because I keep pushing all the time or my fitness will take longer than i thought.

Also what's better for fitness, 3 x 4km runs a week, or 2 x 5km?

Thanks in advance Theo.

Comments

• Options

OK, I admit I'm a beginner too, but here's my ha'pence worth in case it helps.

Will it always feel like hard work?  I doubt it Theo.  I started Couch to 5k in January and can now run 10k without feeling tired and I'm 59.  My 5k pb is 27:47 by the way, so yes, you're doing fine.

However it might depend on what you are doing.  If you are always pushing yourself to go faster then yes, it will be tough.  You need to also mix in longer but slower runs (maybe even half your fastest pace), short demanding sprints, a mix of fast and slow intervals and maybe some hill work.  That way you will get your body used to providing you with energy under changing conditions, build up stamina and muscle strength etc.  If you always run as fast as you can you'll just plateau.

Maybe try setting out and just running slowly for an hour.  Don't worry about speed, run by how you feel.  If you start to feel tired, slow down for a bit and speed up a little when you feel up to it.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck and well done on the times!

• Options

Hi Metalhead

Thanks for the response. Your suggestions are most welcome. I was unsure on how to keep moving forward, as I love running, but it feels like I should be beating times every time I go out, which is what I don't really want to do from a mental aspect.

I like the idea of doing different sorts of runs, and maybe some interval running would be quite good for longer distances.
    I think I will also try and run some further distances without focusing on times, as this seems to have take over my targets of late.

BTW 10k at 59! I am impressed.

Thanks again for your input, genuinely it has been very helpful

• Options

No it shouldn't feel like hard work and it won't. Your running muscles are becoming attuned to running, and will get stronger and more efficient. Your cardiovascular system will be going though the same process, but this takes time. Think how hard your first run was, and how far you've come already - 7km is no small distance. It does get easier if you just keep running, there's no eureka moment when it suddenly becomes easy, it's more a gradual acclimatisation, and you'll know it's working when one day you find yourself really looking forward to your run or you're tetchy because you haven't run - that's when you know you're addicted.

Improving your running will involve running faster and longer, but not at the same time. If running longer, maybe try a 8km? Then 9km, and then hey, you've run 10km! Honestly, if you can run 7k then you can run 10k, you just need to keep going for a little longer. But make sure you enjoy it - run with a dog or with friends (join a running club?), make a playlist and take music with you, vary your routes and find new / interesting routes (even if you have to drive a short way). Don't force yourself out in horrible weather, and make the most of good weather. Make an event out of it - get the train / bus to 8km away from home and run back? Or do a parkrun or maybe even enter a 10K race in Spring?

• Options

Also.

It does get easier, but then you might keep challenging yourself to go further so there are always going to be some challenging runs.

Don't make every run a 'race'  if you run 3 times a week you should only probably be running one of the quite hard if that possible alternate between a hard run and a hill run,  then a longer run, and a third almost recovery run. 

Be flexible on the day, some days you will feel worse than others, it's not the end of the world if you feel a bit below par and just put in a gentle plod. 

There are as many methods of running and plans out there as there are runners.  Some say run hard, some say run really slowly, some say put a load of miles in, others fewer but maybe harder miles etc....

Either just carry on running, and hopefully enjoying it, or look up a plan that you like, not necessarily to follow, but to give you an idea on the sort of things to do.

For instance if you were looking at marathon / half marathon plans. They usually have you building up over a 3 week period, then a drop back week so you can relax a bit and recover, and then build up a bit again.  So don't be afraid of easier weeks. 

A lot just run for the fun of it, but some of us find it's a bit easier if you have a goal at the end of it.  It doesn't matter what it is, just pick a goal maybe even a race that you want to do x time away and plan your running around that.  Or if it's time then start to read up on how to get x time for x distance that you want

One last thing, don't compare yourself to others, your an individual, none of us can say if your runs above are average, great, world beaters, or not, it's down to you.  So Enjoy it.

• Options

rodeoflip / booktrunk

thanks for your excellent input. Very helpful guys.

I decided to try and run some longer, slower runs and alternate with some shorter, faster runs. The slower ones felt great and I managed to get to another distance PB of 8km, which is really encouraging.
    I then threw in some short, 3km blasts, and broke my PB times for those too, another boost of confidence. The shorter blasts are actually quite hard tbh as thats really pushing it.

So the advice on here is really great. I love my running, and by not focusing on the times and distances in one go, it feels like I can enjoy it much more.

This week, I think I will go back to middle distance and see what sort of times I hit without going mad.
    I do not feel I need massive targets, but if I had 2, I want to run 5k in under 25mins, and a distance of 10k in under 1hr.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate the help