Sub 3

Comments

• You're not gatecrashing scottles, welcome! I confess I had to read that paragraph a couple of times, but I get the point now. I can recklessly paraphrase, adding my own slant, as "your body slows down in the air outdoors but not on a treadmill; so outdoors you have to shove on the ground to speed it up again". Which is a fair point. And that slowing-in-the-air will be an aerodynamic thing, so the faster you go the worse it gets. (Alternatively, consider running into a killer headwind: you take off, thrust forwards into the air, only to get blown backwards by the time you land again.) But now I say that, I realise the aerodynamic work is the very thing I was trying to address in the first place outdoors, and if your instantaneous speed doesn't vary *too* much from the average in the shove-glide-slow-shove cycle outdoors, then that is one and the same reason for the treadmill being easier after all: aerodynamic losses.

Wardi: cripes!

TT: double cripes!

I'm #1159 for VLM. literatin: at least you still get 3 digits! Maybe women get 400-1000 and men 1000+ this time. I wonder why -- maybe they're expecting more champs entries?

• I'm definitely envious of all you Champs guys. Just another 5 minutes off my marathon PB and I'll be there!

TT - the mind boggles at the thought of that calendar!

Nice easy 5M today since I'm doing a parkrun tomorrow.

• TT - I know how quickly fitness comes back for you once you get going. Looking at your race schedule we could have some V40 ding-dongs coming up!

CW - It's quite striking how the numbers of Champs-level performances have been increasing in recent years, so maybe that's got something to do with the new numbering system:

Sub-2:45 men / Sub-3:15 women:
    2017  551 / 350
    2016  500 / 334
    2015  365 / 259

Yesterday I was giving blood during the day and going out in the evening, so just an easy 5 early doors.  Had a sort of tempo-lite over the woods today but not a huge session, 10M total, 5k a bit quicker with the XTalons on. Lots of dogs.

• Hope you've got good insurance Wardi!

All this talk of Champs entries has me reconsidering but I guess I'll stay with the great unwashed.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • LS21LS21 ✭✭✭
    CW - I'm only 2 numbers behind you! (#1161 to your #1159). So you're in great company. I'll be delighted to be only 2 places behind you on the day - granted you'll be suicidal if that happens, but it's a price worth paying for me to have my day out in the sun. You could even record the moment on your miniscule mobile phone image

Speaking of VLM - I cobbled together a bit of a training plan today. The first time I've done that since 2012. So a break from my usual 'completely winging it' plan. I managed to do 4 weeks' worth which takes me to the Brass Monkey. That's more than enough for now I think. Let's not get carried away.

Oh and having seen a semi-naked TT on Facebook, I can confirm I won't be ordering a Reading Road Runners calendar.
  • That one didn't make the final cut LS21. Somehow, despite that picture, we're doing ok on sales so far! Nice one with the plan. Any target for BM?

PP - nice one; I shall look forward to it! Which races? I know you said Bath. Wokingham again too? Starting to feel a little stronger but there's an awful long way to go.

#1186 for me - finally got the email earlier.
    13m on the way home with a solid 10m in there averaging 6:29 (but 6 @ 6:39, 3 @ 6:20, 1 @ 5:57) when the target was somewhere between 6:28-6:48 (based on current MP of about 6:08).

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

The Pirelli Calendar beckons TT image

Quiet on here yesterday/today, 10m on the treadie early doors today  followed by a club 5m XC race to give me 15m for the day.  Rain thoughtfully abated 20 mins before the latter so just a strong/chilly westerly wind and a lot of mud to contend with otherwise. Doesn't sound like we had as much disruption as in the south, much sympathy if you had to endure it. image

• Endurance build wk2 done. 70M for the week & a PB at yesterday's Elan Valley 10M. Felt good the whole way cause I paced it better: fractionally slower for the first 3M but kept the pace til the end & even overtook 2 guys with a mile to go + held off the guy I'd been battling all the way in the sprint finish which for me is almost unheard of image

• Well raced Jooligan.

Nice training TT. I also did 13M today although not quite so rapid: last 7 at 6:53 average. Felt great though.
  • Bumped into Njord today at the Conwy half marathon. He was pacing 90 and I failed to keep up with him. There's just one hill he said. Hill? It was a bliddy great mountain! I had to stop to walk on it three times, then the kamikaze downhill afterwards gave me a stitch so I canned it and jogged it in. I really must check course profiles before I randomly enter stuff in future.

• Jooligan - Nice racing and finish, especially after another big week.

TT - Just Bath and Southern XC at the moment, before the big one.

Speaking of which, spent a weekend away in the West Country round MsP's folks' place and did some easy but very pleasant miles around some country lanes a little way South of Bath, 6.7 yesterday and 12 this morning. Still managed a reasonably solid 66 miles for the week and ready for a bigger push this week.

• HH

Morning all

Good racing folks - I had intended blasting a parkrun, but pretty much all of Glasgow was an icerink on Fri and Sat (I was like Bambi on my Fri "easy" jog, and ended up stopping after 2M and heading back), so only 1 out of 8 local-ish events was on, and by the time I worked out which one, I'd missed the travel time. 

So a minimal mileage week for me, less than 50.

Every cloud and all that - being stuck in the house, I went online and got most of my Xmas shopping done image

• LS21 -- my miniscule phone sadly lacks a camera, but maybe I could text a tweet to let the world know I'd shared the London glory with you. Brass Monkey glory to be shared before that!

Jooligan -- congrats on the PB.

Unlike Wardi I didn't race an XC, but merely marshalled one on Sat. All very pleasant except some low-life made off with my nice hi-viz cycling gloves, which I was using as improvised waymarkers. Then yesterday it was the St Neots half, very windy (as it was last year). I didn't really push myself hard enough in the first half, but ramped up the suffering a bit later on and took some places, finishing 7th and getting the V40 prize (as the better V40 got 2nd overall). Bit over 20M with warm-up and cool-down. 1:17:50 was OK given the wind (and minor hills) I guess. I'm doing the Bedford HM in a fortnight, and hoping that will be quicker.

• Hi, I was on here about 5 years ago when living in Barcelona and met Dan A on Las Ramblas whilst he drank the largest beer you can imagine. I ran a 2:44:xx in 2011 but was injured afterwards and did not run for 3 years. An operation later and a move to the US, I'm back getting into shape and am re-joining the thread. Mostly reading, but may ask for advice from time to time.

I'm currently at an 18:01 5k (done in 35C heat), a 62 min 10 miler with 750ft elevation and aiming at a 1:21 half in a couple of weeks. No marathon booked yet, but think I can crack the 2:40 even as a veteran (or masters as we are called here in the US)

I've got a good run group here with a 14:29 5k Polish guy, a 15:27 5k American chap, 2 16:xx 5k runners and me, so just doing 40 miles, but focusing on quality rather than quantity 

Also recall meeting TMAP (not sure if he is still around) during 2011 BCN marathon

Happy to answer questions on US races, including the Peachtree 10K which is super hot and humid or anything about US running

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

TJK - sounds like you're not far off where you were a few years back.  Good to see you back.

Awful marathon experience for me at the weekend in Valencia.  Like one of those nightmares you can't wake up from when you're running in treacle incredibly slowly.  Perfect autumn training, inc. a 78 min untapered half last month suggested I was in the ballpark for a PB run.  Felt great in the final weeks but couldn't get anywhere near MP in the early miles and by 10k I was resigned to it, with a minor hamstring niggle playing up too.  Felt like I was limping all the way.  Had it been a training run, I'd have binned it and headed home.  So tempting to drop out as we passed the hotel at 23k, but only because I'd travelled so far for it, I had to slog it out to the finish in a time slower than the easy training marathon I did at Abo 5 weeks back.

Soles of my shoes were both coming off too, which didn't help, though I didn't notice until after.  No positives to take from it.  Already looking at another marathon to try again (maybe Seville in Feb?).  Missus did get a nine min PB though in 4.04 which is well deserved.  Great race though; would recommend for a fast run in normal circumstances.

Met before and after with Marders who casually knocked out another sub 2.19.  His 3rd inside two months.  Remarkable.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

TJK - as Dan said, sounds like you're back in good shape already. Whereabouts in the US are you living? Somewhere quite far south by the sounds of things.

Dan - don't know what to say really, not sure how you can be in such good shape a few weeks ago and then struggle to get to 10k at the same pace. Well done to the missus though, that's a good chunk to take off and clearly she'll want to break 4hrs now! Marders seems to race at least a HM every weekend and run quickly every time, not sure how he does it.

Just some running with the dog for me. I've entered a local 5M race in Sunday but based on the start list will do well to make the top 3. I hold the course record (25:57) but one of our young guys will probably break 25 and my mate will also be around 25:30 I expect. I'd be happy with a low-26 at the moment.

• Welcome back TJK!

Dan -- oh no, sorry. What did your taper look like -- could you have been doing too much in the week or two before the race or something? And gosh yes Marders was looking remarkably fresh after his 2:19 in York when I last saw him, though he did claim to have had to work quite hard for it...

• Any idea what went wrong Dan? Congratulations to Mrs Dan.

• Some things never change.  On a whim a few days ago I picked a page from this thread at random to have a look back.  I picked page 2000 which it turned out was from Feb 2009 and included marders winning the Bramely 10 in 51 minutes on the back of a 130 mile week.

Bad luck Dan, seems odd to have such a bad day for no apparent reason.  Good to see you're going for another one rather than giving up on the whole thing like I'd be tempted to do.

• Living in Georgia, just North of Atlanta and just happy to be back running after 3 years of no running.

Had a nice 6:33 average paced trot around the hills for 6 miles last night... I did not know what undulating meant until I got to Georgia. The race on Thursday which is a half marathon has over 1000ft of elevation gain and that's not unusual. Even a flat 5k had 180ft!!!

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

CW/LMH - Text book training & taper.  Felt great all during race week, bouncing along the last few runs holding well back.  Last 24-48 hours all ideal too.  No point trying to pick it apart.  Wouldn't prepare any differently. I was expecting to hit 20 miles in 2.03-2.04 max, but didn't get there until 2.17 and dead on my feet.

• HH

Welcome back TJK, I remember you I think, although old age is getting the better of me!  Great shape, and the running sounds fantastic there!

Dan - flips sake man!  Nae luck after a great build-up.  Maybe a virus/bug brewing?  Recover well!

• DanA - Some of the set-backs you've experienced in marathons and loooonger races would have floored me ages ago.  You're a hard geezer, I'll give you that.  Plus you always come back with a cracking race again afterwards, so I look forward to hearing how you nail London (?) next year.  image

Welcome back TJK.  The only Georgia I've been to is the one sandwiched between Russia and Turkey, and that's not flat either.

Tuesday night MP+interval night and I felt fresh after a relatively easy weekend.  2M @ MP were 5:39/5:38, then 5 x 1M w/ 200 recovery, 5:14, 5:16, 5:16, 5:14, 5:09.  13M total, felt good.

• Shit luck Dan, I was tracking you and could feel your pain.

PP - Great session

Welcome back TJK.

Stunning stuff from Marders, although in that period you mention Dan he did lose the Chelmsford marathon course record, which he's probably lost sleep over. 

anyone else expecting Padams to break 25mins?  ;-)

Decent treadmill session yesterday 25K at 3.31/K

• I hate it when that happens Dan - at least if you think you know why you can write it off/try to do something about it.

Hi TJK.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't SL image

• AlanBAlanB ✭✭✭

Shit luck Dan, sorry to hear that. Sounds like something in the system if it was affecting you so early in the race.

Welcome TJK.

Not much to report here, just stumbling along doing nothing worth mentioning. The hardest part of training at the moment is convincing myself to get out the door. Hoping to have my mojo back by December and I can start building again for London (still not got my Championship entry confirmation as yet..). Was planning a 5 mile race on Saturday, hopefully I'll convince myself to do it.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

SL - haha, when I ran the 25:57 I was in decent form so I will almost certainly be slower than that! 25k at 2:28 MP - nice...

I've given up trying to work out the reasons for Dan's results!

12M in the last 4 days, all with the dog. Big mileage...

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Hey up Sports fans

The treadmill science made me laugh, surely if you get the speed right you only have to lift your knees up alternately ?

DanA - might have been a bad day, or illness affected day.......but you now know not to do a 20M race as a race in the Spring, and whilst you'll point out Abo as being a training sub3, dont underestimate the recovery/training that goes with trying to run a sub3 as a training run and still bang in miles 5 weeks out. Its difficult to quantify how much Abo will have affected you negatively, but its not difficult to work out its affect positively. Just stick to Barca only in the Spring ?

Still plugging away with the strength work, turbo and swim. Not long until my New Years day test run, might be a bit chillier than my last run in early August.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Padams - I'm getting a training partner like yours in the spring (we've had to wait until all the various cats and rabbits have died off first, and we had a stubborn old cat that kept hanging on in there !), it will have a nice time by the summer munching cucumber sarnies in some nice cricket venues. No idea on what model yet as its got to be big enough to be seen with (and not have a ribbon in its hair), its a shame it couldnt happen when the lads were a bit younger but better late than never, and its going to be my cricket companion anyway.

• HH

Morning all.

Corking tready sesh SL. 

Congrats on the impending arrival TR - lab or spaniel would be my recommendation. 

Alan - see you there, if it isn't cancelled due to the weather.

In other news, I am moving office (same job role), which will make life easier cos it's much closer to home, and means no driving, so the inevitable 6M double commute run Mon-Fri, adding in a weekend long run should start to give me some decent mileage (guessing 80mpw) again, and get me in decent shape again. (he says hopefully, knowing that in actual fact he's old and fat, and doesn't really put much effort into any run at all)