Sub 3

Comments

• Dan - like others, I'm at a loss! TR might have a point about Abo though. In theory your endurance training should preclude it, but maybe you need something like the Canova type long efforts to better absorb that kind of run?

TR - well jel with the dog. Good to hear you're still at it.

Wardi - Pirelli calendar? Well I do have a spare tyre image Nice xc/10m double!

Jooligan - sounds like the base work is paying off. Congrats on the pb.

PP - by Bath I should hopefully be in good shape so I'm looking forward to the head to head image More nice reps too!!

Solid HM CW. Nice one!

Welcome (back) TJK.

SL - more impressive treadie action. Totally agree re: Padams (good luck!); based on recent performances I reckon he's sandbaggingimage

Nice on the job RB.

Best track effort in a long while last night. Was 10 x 400m, 6 x 800m, all off of 200m jogs. Target was 84s (estimated current 5km pace) for the 4s, and 2:52 (estimated current 10km pace). Averaged 80s and 2:47. First time I've done any session averaging under Mara pb pace (84s) in ages, so must be getting there.

• Eye-watering training, PP & SL. Nice session for you too TT.

RB -- my commute is 6M each way, which has worked out pretty well. Quite often I extend the commute, but have a cycling day or two in there as a rest too (like today, after a slow 9M + 10M double yesterday). We may be relocating closer to home in the new year, which would be welcome overall but could result in fewer training miles unless I'm super-disciplined.

Good to hear things are going well TR!

• Really great sessions from PP, SL and TT.

I did 5x1200m on Tuesday, averaging 6min/mi on the nose. 10 yesterday and 6 today. I'm starting to feel a niggle in my hip, so the planned 5M race (Wolverton) on Saturday may get binned.

• Hope it comes to nothing ES.

Good news on the work move RB.

You'll have to give whatever you get a good six months before you run with it TR. I really miss being able to run with Grace (she's too old now).

Can't imagine you not being super disciplined Charlie - you're already extending your commutes.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • WardiWardi ✭✭✭

LMH.. any progress on the knee?

Dan A.. as elsewhere sorry you didn't get what you deserved.  If the build up was similar to your golden day in Barca it is something of a puzzle.  Still, keeps your marathon performance graph nice & wobbly image

TT.. cracking session there.  If you have indeed got a spare tyre then your thighs must be rubbing together so those intervals were more impressive than at first glance image

Nice sessions from ES & PP too.

Welcome back to TJK.

SL.. mighty fine work on the treadie.  Have you got one at home or do you have to use the local gym?

RB.. good news on the relocation, should save you a bit on petrol as well as getting some timber off.

TR.. hope you're all fixed when the test run comes around.  Best of luck with your choice of Muttley.

Charlie.. our low key XC race was 3 laps on the local Riverbank.  On each lap we had to run through a herd of cows so the opportunity for puns was immense.  I ran out of them when I couldn't think of one on the hoof image

Gradually building the miles again post-hols, 5, 4+7.5, 5, 10m so far this week.

• Truly bad luck there Dan must be especially galling after relative success at Abingdon when you weren't really trying.

Great sessions from ESTT, PP & SL. Do you use an incline on the TM SL?

More high mileage this week with 7, 2x10, 3, 2x7 so far this week. The 2x10 was my first run commute since moving jobs 15 months ago. Now planning to make them a regular thing like I did in 2014 when it was only 9 each way. Cycled it loads but was put off by the extra mile. Light day tomorrow then parkrun & a 2.3M fell race Saturday.

Good luck Padams & ES (hope the hip settles) & any others racing at the w/e.

• Not really Wardi - it's still permanently swollen and hot but that's the same whether I run n it or not so I'm carrying on as normal. Thanks for asking.

• Hot, LMH? Hope it's "just" inflamed and not infected... sounds nasty.

Wardi -- pull the udder one! You must have milked those cheesy puns for all they were worth. Was the weather Friesian?

Bit of farlek in my 6M commute this morning but nothing special. Lots of little bits of running tomorrow in my regular trip to see my old Dad by train, running between stations etc, then some kind of decent run on Sunday. No race this weekend, but I've another half next Sunday, so I should tune up a bit for that.

• Just permanently swollen and hot Charlie, no one (GP/physio) seems to think there's anything more to it than inflammation. Appointment with orthopod came through this morning - 1st February image

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

Great 10 mile tempo last night, then a 17:36 parkrun and hour run home today.

Was harder getting to 5k in 19:40 last week!!  FFS!!

• TRTR ✭✭✭

LMH - agreed, that will mean that by the time he/she is ready to run a few miles it will be about September time and I might even be able to run again by then. Are you going to keep running intil Feb1st ? maybe a week off to get the inflammation down at Christmas ?

• The inflammation is the same whether I run or not TR - walking sets it off just the same and the doc and physio say I'm not doing any damage running on it.

Frustrating Dan!

• Dan, aaargh, that is annoying!

So after a sports massage on Thursday night and day off on Friday, my hip felt OK so I went to the Wolverton 5 as planned. It's a nice race, two laps of a lakeside path at a park near Milton Keynes. It serves as both the Beds County and Eastern Masters championships, so the field was fairly stacked. The winner ran under 24 mins, another 5 ran under 25. I had a pretty good day I would say. I was hoping to take a chunk off my PB and duck under 30 mins for the first time. I felt great right from the off and was able to maintain the pace and finish strongly as well for a 29:36. That's over a minute off my PB, and a bit more encouraging than recent 10K results! 38th overall, 4th V40 (based on the 5-year age groupings).

I noticed SC2's name in the results list, so Simon, if you're out there - congratulations!

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Bravo ES, congrats on sub 30 - lopping 60+ seconds off your PB is encouraging too.

Dan A.. cracking Park Run, just shows that something freakish was in your system in Valencia - bizarre!  I did mean to say well done to your Missus too - is a sub 4 her future target?

13.2m around the country lanes today.  Loads more cars about than usual - must be Xmas tree collection day or something similar!

• ES - Very impressive pb smashing there, considering you weren't sure you were going to toe the line.

I went into the weekend feeling fresh, partly due to a binned session on Thursday.  Was due to be 3 x 2M but during the first rep I could feel my right foot which has been giving me a very minor bit of gyp recently, so I decided to call it a day.  Some sort of inflammation on the inside / arch of foot, but it's not got any worse than "niggly" after some hard running.  Seems manageable at the moment but will keep an eye on it.

Saturday was the South of the Thames "Junior" XC race at the rather scenic Polesden Lacy National Trust near Box Hill. 5 miles, pretty technical with 650 ft ascent and lots of stony paths, piles of leaves and tree roots. We didn't have all our big guns out but I was pleased to make 5th scorer, ran 40 seconds quicker than last year for 25th overall compared to 36th.  Then 15 miles easy/flat yesterday along the river.  Foot feels fine now, just as well since I'm doing XC on four consecutive weekends, including Kent vets and Southern vets where we've got some team titles to defend.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

ES - nice work in the 5M race. Going to have a look at those results as it sounds like a quality field!

PP - good news that the foot issue was only very fleeting, shows that it is usually worth stopping a session when you feel a niggle. Great XC/long run combo.

5M race for me went broadly as expected although I was towards the better end of my estimate. 26:06 for 3rd place - first 2 miles were 5:05 each but perhaps the easier part of the course, then 5:13, then struggled a bit in the last 2M which were slightly into the wind and a slight drag uphill, both around 5:20. I was running alone after the first 100m as two clubmates shot off and I was left leading the second group which was just me and one other after less than a mile, then just me by around 2M. The front two split up after about 1.5M and I closed marginally on one of them but then he pulled away a bit again. The winner kept pulling away and ran 24:5x. Nice for the club to lock out the podium though (and we had 5th place).

• Lev_Lev_ ✭✭✭

'ello 'ello.

I've not posted here in an absolute age but great to see things carrying on.  Great run from ES, really sorry to hear about Valencia Dan - you do seem to have rotten luck - and I'm amazed at SL ad his exploits. Fingers crossed for the final push.  

A few months ago, I felt I'd to all intents and purposes ditched running. A few different reasons.  At the start of the year, I was in the best shape I'd ever been in but then injury niggles started up again. Kept the XT going till May but then couldn't face it any more and had real issues starting back running with high hamstring tendinopathy.  A few vain attempts to do a bit of jogging but effectively zero exercise for 5 months - absolutely no mojo plus things changed quite a bit at work (in a fantastic and totally consuming way, which is great, but also unlikely to let up given our theatre will open in 10 months all being well - see bridgetheatre.co.uk). So I felt that the days of running were behind me, I'm much heavier than I was and could barely do 20 minutes jogging without counting down the seconds. But then 5 or 6 weeks ago things changed and I felt able to force myself out a few times. And I have taken a different approach, partly inspired by SL's warnings of old - no efforts at all, all easy running and much higher mileage. Can't for a second imagine running a single mile at my old marathon pace and this week I'm feeling very tender and battered despite not having done anything quicker than 7 min miles, but ramped up quickly from longstanding zero to 50, 70, 90 and the last 2 weeks both at 100. Struggled this morning at 7:30m/ms and this is a much needed cutback but hopefully my body will adjust to higher mileage in the next month or so and then I can start adding some pace back in at the start of the new year.

Definitely think my 2:25 days are behind me but it's nice to feel less like a fat slob again!

Anyway, enough already with the self-indulgent post.

Keep well! 

• Nice racing ES, PP & Padams!

DanA -- you're a mystery wrapped in an enigma. Random theory #37: you're one of those people who goes hypo from insulin overshoot, and you had some unaccustomed food/sports drink just before your marathon...

LMH -- good grief, that's a long wait.

Welcome back Lev -- when I do 100 mile weeks, I get into a hugely ploddy state when 9:30/M can be a struggle, so 7:30/M is positively scorching. (I should say stop making such a drama of itimage -- good luck with the theatre.)

Did a pretty good session yesterday with 8M tempo (6:10/M), 15M overall, but in general I'll have a light week now as the weather is looking reasonable so far for the Bedford half next Sunday, so I ought to give it a good go.

• PP, congratulations on the XC performance.

Padams, yep, it was a good quality field! Results are already on Run Britain or Po10 if you do want to check them out. Congratulations on the podium yourself, presumably that comes with bling, a prize and a county medal? image.

Lev - it's great to see you back out there. Most people would have I've been following your exploits on Strava and I'd say you're looking good considering the long lay-off. Keep plugging away, and the mojo will come back. Enjoy the cutback week.

14M for me yesterday after Saturday's 5-mile race. I managed to roll my ankle at mile 13.5, grrrrrr. I think it's OK - a bit of swelling but no bruising. No pain when walking. I've iced and am resting today, so we'll see how it is tomorrow.

• Lev - It's meant to feel like that, keep it up you'll be in fantastic shape soon enough.

ES - Congrats on the PB

Padams - sounds like a good race and a decent time.

PP - Decent XC'ing.

Dan - That's frustrating!!!!

Jooligan - The world record is on a zero incline so that's how I've been training.

Saturday was 20K at just under World record pace and it felt ok, I'm frightfully nervous. 

• Nice PB ES and podium placing Padams.

Hi Lev, easy miles is the way to go - and I'd love to plod mine at 7 min milesimage

• SL - Have no fear, you will destroy it!

• Top racing ES, PP & Padams

Best of luck SL. From the sessions you've been posting it looks like you've got this nailed.

17:36 Dan! WTF! Cracking run but aaaarrrggh. 

• Can I just take a moment to urge all those lurking on this thread not to be put off joining in by statements like "20K at just under World record pace and it felt ok". 

• ^Ha!

"Lev!" (I actually exclaimed out loud when I saw your name...) - Good to see you at it. Hope the long slow stuff does the trick in strengthening you up, I'd hate to think of you doing another squillion lengths of aqua jogging.  London?

Padams - Excellent 5 mile time, I'd be well happy with that.

ES - Aaargh! Been over both ankles more times than I care to remember. Needless to say, I'd try to avoid lumpy surfaces for a while as it will definitely be weaker.

Mid-week "easy" 10 milers are beginning to feel very comfortable.  Another MP+intervals session this evening and an easy double tomorrow will see me just over the 300 mile target for the month.

• PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

ES - yes, a few medals etc., medal for 3rd in county champs, trophies for 3rd in the race and for 1st team and £20 cash for 3rd place. To be honest I only kept one of those 4 prizes...

Lev - good to see you pop in. When I'm tired I occasionally wonder what it would be like to just stop running and came to the conclusion that it would be nice for a day or two but then I'd miss it after not long. I bet you'll get in decent shape just doing easy running at that volume.

SL - presumably you are talking about the "unofficial" WR rather than the official one? From memory it seemed like the official one would be fairly comfortable for you, so I'm assuming you're going for the harder target.

Dan - nice parkrun, but obviously a bit frustrating/confusing!

PP - good mileage, "enjoy" the MP/intervals!

3M for me yesterday with the dog and 6M this morning mainly on my own because the dog seemed to be limping a bit yesterday morning. Not during the 3M run, but when we got home she decided to go hyper in the garden doing a few laps at full gas, then came in hopping. Seemed fine this morning but didn't want her to do too much in case it was still a bit sore.

• Padams - yes, I bet you'd have to buy a bigger house if you kept all the medals and trophies you've won image.

CD - Laughed out loud!

PP - thanks. I was thinking the same thing while (carefully) walking to the station this morning. I tried a treddie session this lunchtime to see how the ankle was. I could feel slight pain on landing so binned it after 3 minutes in favour of an XT session on the elliptical. I managed something approximating 6x1K off 1:30. Effort level and HR seemed about right.

Looks like I may be off running for a few days. Minor ankle sprain I'm guessing.

• HH

CD - stop it, you'll let all the proles inimage   (that's a joke, as per other places, all welcome here - both those offering and those seeking inspiration)

Excellent racing all - my (and Alan's) 5 mile race on Saturday was cancelled due to severe ice on the course.  Apparently.  Could have done a charity half/10k on the Sunday instead (and likely would have "won" either too), but Mrs RB's car has been on the blink and we decided to go and get a new one instead of racing.  Then met up with LS21 late in the evening as he popped up for a visit.

A decent run over the weekend - 11M with 10@sub3 pace, solo, which is always a good indicator of general fitness levels, so quite happy with that.  First double commute run today - 9M am, and about to do the run home now.  New headtorch ordered for these late dark runs.  A cheapo off ebay, but my mate has one, and it seems good.  If ok, I'll report back here.

• LMH - hopefully they'll get to the end of it in Feb if it hasn't settled by then. That's not too bad a wait - I had to wait 4 months for my ear appointment, after I chased them because they'd forgotten to book it.

Dan - I'm at a loss! As I suspect, are you! Have you kept a diary of pre-race for all of them to compare the good to the bad?

Great pb ES, though less lucky on the ankle!

Nice weekend of racing and training PP.

Padams - very nice 5m!

Lev_ - plenty of time to get fit again (that's what I keep telling myself). Theatre looks like an interesting project.

SL - sounding in great form for it!!

RB - nice 10m tempo!

A solid 10m Thursday morning saw me on 52m, but then the rest of the week went - sick kids Thursday, me being a bit wiped out Friday, helping some friends move and a tattoo Saturday, and then a 6m jog on Sunday that felt horrible before spending much longer than intended in a comic convention and running out of time for a second run.

Heading in the right direction, but slightly concerned that I seem to keep putting off planned long runs (haven't done one since London!!), but I have done 8 runs between 12m-15m (1 being a track session) so far this month, so that's something. I think it's simply that I know my body couldn't take a 20m yet.

I also seem to be struggling to get used to what is (by my previous standards) modest mileage - I think it was the 81m & 91m weeks, followed by 52m in 4 days that left me wiped out on Friday, rather than catching anything from the kids. Again though that's only to be expected! I've had to sit down and come up with a rebuild plan rather than do my usual wing it with rough guidelines.

• Evening all. Just popped in to see what the latest news from the running world was since I have started to get me trainers back on.

Still not got to the bottom of how treadmill running compares to the road? Damn.