Run off road - by Van

I apologise if this subject has been done before... But I have seen an exponential rise in drivers swerving towards me when I've been running or riding, when the road is clear so they can't be seen. One of these moronic cowards is going to kill one of us soon, in fact I'm sure it is happening already. With no witnesses about, these bastards can say anything after the event, then snigger to their pals in the pub afterwards. In my case I'm targeted at least once a week now, and it's getting much worse. The police in my area only visit sporadically, and no-one answers the 101 line, so they're an utter waste of space too. Any thoughts or advice from anyone out there?

Comments

• senidMsenidM ✭✭✭
    GoPro? at least you have some proof, even if its only shown at the inquest.

Certainly where I live, Norf Essex, there have been occasions where riders have been deliberately pushed off their bikes by ignorant sods in vans, and at least a goPro might have got a number plate.

Whether or not the police would actually do anything..................
  • Cheers. Yes, I've got a nice little WearCam, but as you say, no good if you've been squashed. Trouble is, the fat useless braincell-sharing fuckwits who drive the vans (though I had a nice merc C class do it last week) have some popular support with the plebs. Come the revolution!

• RicFRicF ✭✭✭

Not so bad where I live (NW London), but now and again I get a close one.

As for claims the twats didn't see the cyclist, I feel that dressing in predominately day glo gear plus lights on the bike, might make them think twice.

Doesn't help if the psychos are working on the principle that no witnesses mean they can get away with it.

Funny thing is, I get way more problems when out on the road bike instead of being on the road on a mountain bike.

Must be some sort of image that enrages some people.

🙂

• As a rare cyclist, but running almost every day, I've never really had trouble with cars, but I can imagine that, especially here in London, the problem is getting worse and worse for cyclists. Mind you, the other day I saw a guy cycling in the dark with no lights on a black bike and wearing black clothes on a road with poor lighting - he doesn't deserve to be knocked off, of course, but I kind of despair when I see that sort of thing. A cyclist is only going to come off worst in any collision.

• Once or twice on the bike I've had a car pull over to scare me. Once it had a personalised plate so I reported it as I could remember the very short reg... I dont think they could do anything the first time, but if he tried it again he may get a visit.

When running I'll avoid roads with no pavement as much as possible. I've not seen anyone swerve toward me - but cars follow the car in front so closely that it's just dangerous to run on the roads - you have to be prepared to dive off the tarmac in case....
  • Thanks for your points, guys. It seems like I'm getting more attention than you all are. I must either have a contract out on me or I've just got the kind of face.

• I cycle everyday, I encounter bad driving everyday, I've never encountered anyone actually deliberately swerving towards me.

Where are you cycling?

• Rural Staffordshire, around Rugeley. The lanes are often empty except me and one of these maniacs, so I guess they do it just because they can get away with it. If I can get a film of them on my cam, I'll post it all over Facebook. It was just my sodding luck yesterday, I cycled for 2 hours before the battery ran out, and got railroaded 10 minutes later.

• Don't post it on facebook - take it to the police. North Wales police have a special operation set up for this - hopefully other areas will follow suit too.

Facebook posting won't be helpful.