Help with Gait Analysis - Video - Prior of purchasing new shoes.

HI

I would like to ask you, as many of you know more about running and bio-mechanic of the foot while running than people in local sport stores,

Xmas coming and some sales on boxing day and I thought it would be good opportunity to hunt some deals on shoes as 2nd pair to replace my Lunarglide 7 eventually. But same as last time I 've stopped on stage where I should decide what type of shoe I can/should wear . Neutral or Stability?

So I decided to record some short videos to analyses , and would like to shere it with you and ask for help.

First video: Nike 5.0 ( I do not run like this all the time - occasionally/track in spikes )  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh3u9-cx9Io

Secodn video in LunaGlide 7 ( thats how I run,  clip recorded after 8miles to highlight potential tiredness and technique drop )

www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLGDUSPFT

Let me know what you think!

Thanks

Comments

• I think you should spend less time analysing and more time running.

• This was nothing what I was asking about here. Is it not important to have right running shoes?

• MillsyMillsy ✭✭✭
    If it ain't broke... Don't try and fix it. If you get on with your current shoes then stick with them (or the latest version)
  • AW3AW3 ✭✭✭

Jeez, the forum regulars on here can be a miserable bunch. Almost every thread I've read on here recently just rapidly degrades into pointless cross-questioning the OP and not offering anything constructive. He's posted a very legitimate and interesting question so if you don't have anything useful or positive to post, then how about not posting at all?! That kind of attitude drives away a lot of posters and makes the forum quite a sad place to browse really.

To the OP, first of all, I couldn't get your second video to load, it comes up with a "This Video Doesn't Exist" page.

However from the Nike Free 5.0 video, it's clear that you pronate a lot in your foot strike. Traditional thinking is that you would want a "stability" shoe to help counter-act the excessive inward ankle roll as your foot hits the ground and provide some stability to your ankle. The Nike Lunarglide might prove better in this regard as it's considered a light stability shoe, so it's a shame that video won't load. 

However nowadays, people are tending to think that stability shoes are focusing on treating the symptoms rather than the cause. Your overpronation is likely exacerbated by your cross-over running style, where one foot is landing in front of the other (like walking on a tightrope); if you can gradually move towards a wider running gait, this will help address the overpronation and reduce/eliminate the need for a "stability" shoe.

Millsy's point is key in that it's all down to finding a running shoe that will help minimise niggles and prevent injuries. Typical issues caused by excessive pronation are overworking of the muscles on the outside of the leg and hip (peroneal muscles in the lower leg, TFL), IT band issues, as well as ankle/knee pain. If you have any of those issues it might be worth exploring a shoe with more stability-control than the Lunarglide as a quick fix and then try to slowly implement some changes to your running style to address the underlying issues.

If you're not suffering any issues then I'd be tempted to follow the "if it ain't broke don't fix it argument".

• Great, Thank you for your answer, that is something what I was waiting for,

You are right for some reason that video didn't work , here is the link again :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLGDUSPFT1k

Speaking about Free 5.0 I do not run in them, I thought I will try change run technique to more forefoot, but I guess is not for me or at least it would take much much longer than I expected to cover distances I run at the moment.

Good point! I didnt see that ''tightrope'' running style when I was watching videos . I think, I tend to run different in my ''old'' technique  [2nd link , Luanrglide 7 ]

To be honest, I just check the symptoms you mentioned and have to say that I had small problem with TFL more Hip than leg, didnt know why, wasn't nothing major . But I was running in same shoes all the time when it happen.

Is so many shoes on the market, how to find the ' right one' ? I was looking at Ultra Boost ST other day, but been told that the are ''over done''  to many not needed features and sole is really ''high'' and won't be helpful for quick runs. I aim for quick intervals same as loong steady runs.

Then saw Pegasus 33 , but it seems that if I over pronating in Lunars too, it would mean that Neutral shos is  ' no ' for me, right?

Would be really hard to try change for 'wider gait'' , I don't know if is possible to control it when you can' see it.

• Shoe companies would have us believe that they have all the answers to feet, and one just has to find the right shoe. 

The problem is that we are all very unique. We have unique structure And function, and in all that have developed loads of muscle imblances .

i know , all we want to do, is find a shoe that works, so you can get on with what you love doing. 

But the stats on running, are not good. It has been found that 6-7/10 of us have, or are carrying , or have the potential for some sort of injury. 

Each person needs an individualised assessment to determine their type. This then gives a category  of shoes to look at. The ones that feel comfortable, would be a good starting point. 

But to expect a shoe to be the answer to biomechanical issues, is asking a lot. Shoes, after all, do fatigue and do so quite quickly. Hence the need to refresh so often (great business ) and we thought running was cheap.

There is not a shoe on the market that focussed on forefoot pronation. You are a lateral heel striker because of a Tibial Varm, then your foot moves rapidly into pronation, the heel then lifts of the ground early.

go for a shoe that is a notch up,on stability than  what you have currently.

but get an opinion on your biomechanics. You may need a little extra support inside the shoe, with a lot of calf stretching. 

• If you are injury free just continue with the same kind of shoe. If you pick up injuries find the cause and fix it.