2016 Marathon Training Thread

Comments

• Sub17 I hope the calves are behaving for your parkrun tomorrow.

Looks like your super fast speed is coming back NP be good to see how your parkrun goes tomorrow.

So sorry to hear about your Dad Teknik Along with all the other things it sounds like a rough time. Take care xx

Cal I hope that your niggle doesn't end up an injury. Know what you mean about roots under leaves, I think we must have a similar run style - I look like I shuffle, really need to lift my knees more!

Stuart couldn't believe that you were out running at 2am!! Amazing.

Ollie well done doing 12 miles this morning! Hope you have a good weekend of running

OH lovely to hear your Dad is 90, an amazing age! I hope he is keeping well.

Wednesday was an easy run and easy turbo spin, rest day Thursday and today I cycled to the local sports centre. Did my intervals around the parkrun course (wearing my previously unworn Inov8 212s) 7 x 3 minutes with 90s recovery then cycled home so 2.5 hours on the bike and some running

80 minute run planned tomorrow before Christmas cocktails with cycling pals then plan club run on Sunday; about 3 hours pedalling.

Hope everyone has a happy weekend F
  • Teknik: Terrible loss of your father.

OH: Congrats on your Dad reaching his 90th Birthday.

SM6: Good running 12mile on tough hilly course and easy flat 8 miler. 

Ollie: Good 12 mile run and endurance base building.

NP: Good swimming 70 x 25m.

Fi: Enjoy the 80 minute run and 3 hour cycle.

--------------------------

Today: First place again in my Park Run in 17:19. 

This week I will run a 10km long run +  3 x 2 to 4 milers + some rowing machine ahead of my next Park Run. 

• Morning. image

NP: Nice going on the swimming yesterday, hope parkrun goes well today; it will be nice to see how you get on..
    Fiona: Hope the 80 minute run goes well, followed by the club run.  And of course, enjoy the cocktails, are you going to pace them like a marathon or down 'em like a sprint. image
    Sub17: Nice parkrunning and another first place, well done.  Yeah, I think building back endurance is my current target, my speed hasn't quite managed to come back to my legs just yet.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

6.1 miles including parkrun.
    Will aim for a decent time at parkrun but will set off slower and build the speed (that's the plan anyway).

Quick edit to update: went through with my parkrun plan, didn't get overtaken and managed 20:12 for 4th place.  Happy with that performance on the tougher course, and positive to see I didn't fade.  I hope I can get back to my previous times by the end of January.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Looks like I'll be spending best part of today at Aberdeen airport (fog in Manchester!) image

• Fiona - you're right. I have very little leg lift. When you watch the top runners, they nearly all have this effortless style where their heels come nearly up to their bums. Mine doesn't even make it past my knee.

Well done Ollie and sub-17.

Nice swimming, NP.

OH - misty here in London too, and we don't get much mist down here.

My parkrun was a bit lacklustre today. I felt as though I was storming around, but my times did not reflect that. I finished in 26:32, which is a good way off my best. I'll put it down to hard efforts last weekend (5K track race and 15 mile long run) and a general increase in miles as I start my marathon training.

Next week's parkrun will be in Manchester, for a change - my first stint of tourism! I won't have to worry about a PB there as I'll be a first timer. image

• Actually spent the day on unplanned trains (flights cancelled) image

arrival 8h after scheduled!

• Morning. image

OH: Glad to see you've made it, enjoy your day with your Dad.
    Cal: Nice going on parkrun given the longer and faster running you've been doing.  Any parkrun in mind for your trip to Manchester?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

17 miles today to finish off the week.
    71.1 miles done this week.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Snap, Ollie - 17 miles for me too! Started slow (first mile was 11:10 but I did have to stretch out a knot in my calf), hit the 10:30s in the middle of the run, then 10:20s, then last two miles were both 10:09.

It took just under 3 hours, so I was pretty stiff and sore after (well, still am, but I've had a nice hot bath and a stretch) but I was pleased with the fact I was strong right up until the end, especially as I had a crap night's sleep again. (Damn you, terminal insomnia!)

The negative point was my left shin got sore from mile 9 to the end. I'm assuming this is the dreaded shin splints people talk about. It doesn't hurt now. Funny thing is, I have some tenderness along the inside of my right tibia, which has been there for a few weeks now, so why the left shin decided to play up, I have no idea. Contrary body. On the plus side, that achilles insertion issue seems to have gone away (mostly - it's only sore if I press it quite hard).

Anyway, Manchester parkruns - it's between Stretford Park and Heaton Park. I gather Heaton is a bit nicer, but has a bit of a hill and is slightly further from my friend's gaff. Stretford starts on a track, which is quite novel. Do you have any recommendations?

• Cal: Nice going on today's 17 miles, good stuff.
    Re: parkruns: Stretford is a very flat, fast course; two laps but definite PB potential.  Heaton Park is hilly as you mentioned, a one lap course with some tough uphills but also nice downhills to capitalise on, and it is a bit more scenic.
    South Manchester parkrun is another close-by parkrun, it's another fast one lap course but tends to be a bit of a wade through mud and puddles.

Whichever one you do, hope you enjoy. image

Have a good day. image
  • Well done Sub17, a fantastic time and another win. Quality running! image

Ollie nice parkrunning by you too and a fast time on a tough course. Ha ha the cocktails were like my running, started too fast and faded badly by the third (& last!)image nice long run today!

OH what a pain that the fog disrupted travel but good you eventually arrived!

Cal that's still a good parkrun and at least you had a decent run, the poor legs must be tired. Nice long run today!

Got my easy peasy 80 minutes done yesterday, 10 miles. Had a fab pedal today with a pal, 50 miles with a cake stop. A really strong headwind on the way home and my friend has a bad back (bulging discs so she tends to stay off the road bike and stick to the MTB) so I sat in front, a good workout!

Can't believe next week is xmas! Hope you all have a good week image F
  • Fiona great mixture of training running, cycling cocktails and cake, hope you have a great week leading up to Christmas image

Sub 17 well done on a great Park runimage

Ollie well done on the 6 and Park run and a great 17 today and a massive week of trainingimage

OH sorry to hear of your delayimage....

Cal well done on the long run of 17 miles, glad the achilles is good.image

Park run yesterday 17:46 but the course was cut short by about 20m due to ice thankfully it went ahead but had to ease up on a few corners. Today was a MLR of 11 miles brining this weeks total to 58.6 image

• Good day with Dad today on his 90th many friends and most of the family by image

Hoping for an easier trip home tomorrow image

think my drinking is the opposite to (what) my running (should be): I down my (long) pints but savour and pace my (short) malts! image

• Today I ran 14 miles over 3 treadmill runs including: 5 miles in 31 mins and 7.6 miles  in 48 mins + 2 km on rowing machine

Thursday: I will run 10 miles over 2 treadmill runs with 6 miles followed by 4 mile runs. 2km on rowing machine in between my 2 treadmill runs.

• Boo !! 

Back again ! marathon training  begins so will be posting and keeping up with everyones efforts !

Following some of you already on Strava of course ! 

Tek so so sorry to see you have had such a bad time lately , I really can understand how you feel , having also lost my dad 3 months ago aged 81 I hope you and yours are all ok , its a hard time of year comimg up xxxxx 

I know the 2 Stuarts have been / are injured , hope to see you both running well soon 

Anyway long run of 17.1 ( yes .1) letting go of my OCD today for once ... started easy @ 8.50 ish pace gradually picking up the pace to 8- 8.10 , average pace comimg out at 8.21 happy with that 

• OH lol looked like you had a great time at the partyimage

Sub 17 well done on the treadmill runs, I had to run a lot on the treadmill a few years ago and hate them.

NN Boo X Great run and nice to see you letting go of the OCD looked at your friends times on Strava boy she is fast.

Well 70x25m this morning thinking my massage was at 1:30, I went out for 7 miles on the trails only to find out my massage was at the time I was running so missed it....... Will do an extra session on the foam roller later.

• Evening. image

Fiona: Aha, I haven't been able to match my alcohol PB since university, perhaps I need more endurance training. image   Nice running and cycling too.
    NP: Good running from you as well, I'm sure the trails provided a massage of the mind if not the body. image
    OH: Hope you had a nice time back in Sunny Stockport, hope the journey back is hassle free this time round.
    Sub17: Nice treadmill running, I've never really been able to enjoy treadmill running (lack of scenery/monotony) so well done for cracking out some good miles on them.
    NN: Good to see you back in the full swing of marathon training, nice 17.1 miles today.  WHich marathon are you planning on running?

- - - - - - - - - - - - 

Today marks the year anniversary of my streak (today is Day 367), ran at least a mile a day since 19th December 2015.  Hoping to see how far I can take it, though am willing to give it up if I suffer serious or ongoing injuries/illness).

So today was met with 6 miles to maintain the daily running, at a fairly easy pace as Monday is generally easy day.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Back home in Orkney after hassle free trip this time about. Pleasant run with another forumite (Alehouse) this morning.

Well done on the first year's streak Ollie

Nice long run for time of year NN

Shame about the mmassage, NP but at least you used the time profitably

Hope all friends on the bench are back up and going soon ...

• Well done on the streak, Ollie!

Glad you got home without any further problems, OH. I moan about the dark mornings down in London but It must be dark for ages up there this time of year.

Oops, NP. I guess you still had to pay, right?

Day off for me yesterday, following Sunday's three hour epic, so just a gentle 4 mile recovery run today. I had a TK Maxx gift card burning a hole in my pocket so I went out and spent it yesterday and found a pair of patterned high-vis yellow Brooks tights, so I got them along with a high-vis yellow Ronhill top. Wore 'em both today. I must have looked like a neon banana. image

• Quiet on here!

had intended running today but ended up at daughter' for lunch after dentist. Then it was dark wet and windy. Work tomorrow but hoping for weather break after that ...

Yep, the days are pretty short just now Cal (9:04-15:15) but the very long summer days compensate.

• OH: Good to hear you had a good run with AH, ad that you got back okay.  Hope lunch with the daughter was enjoyable.
    Cal: Nice going on the rest day and recovery run, nice one.

- - - - - - - - - - - 

10 miles today with 10 x 100 metre strides.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • Nice going on the 10, Ollie.

Unfortunately the rest day and recovery run didn't have the desired effect and my old legs were even heavier and grumpier than they were yesterday. I just did the minimum 4 (at an even slower pace than yesterday's recovery run) and called it quits. I suppose it will take a little while for my body to adjust to the higher mileage and longer runs. I've been doing around 20 miles or so during the Summer and Autumn months (actually less during the Autumn due to my silly race schedule) whereas the last two weeks have been 41 and 38 miles. Admittedly the first of those was only because I'd been away the previous weekend so it contained two long runs (Monday and Sunday) but regardless, that is a big step up.

Mileage will be considerably lower over the holiday period so I should recover well enough. After that, my body better bloody get used to it. image

• Hello. image

Cal: Nice going on the 4 miles, liking the determination to step up the miles post festivities.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

14 miles in the mud, puddles and rain, good times.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • HM4HM4 ✭✭✭
    Well done guys.

Tek,

Sorry to hear that. Hope that's the case for you.
  • Ollie well done on the running streak from 2015image well done on the 6 miles on Monday, 10 yesterday and 14 today in the mud, puddles and rain, love the trails every day is different and great to see the seasons changeimage.

OH glad you got home with no hassle and managed to even get out for a run, time to batten down the hatches with the bad weather on its way......

Cal LOL at the neon banana, a reduced milage week is needed if you feel jaded and you should take one after every three weeks. Well done for getting the two runs in. I didn't have to pay as Ive been going to the same person for about 4 years now image

Well yesterday was 5 easy am on the trails and 5 steady pm with the club in the heavy rain. Today was 72x25m front crawl and 10 and a bit miles on the trails at last lightimage

• Hello again, I'm not doing very well at keeping up at the moment!

Tek - So sorry to hear about your dadimage Sounds like you haven't had the best time of it recentlyimage

I'm impressed with all the 17 milers being thrown around (Ollie, Cal and NN), I wish I was capable of that! Looks like most are running (and in a few cases, swimming!) well, even noticed Stewart starting to add some miles in too.

Not much exciting happening here, finally jacked the idea of Manchester as it's just too much of an expense for what it'll be (I'll never be in shape for a decent effort, right now I doubt I'd break 95 minutes for HM) but I have signed up for Stirling. It's only 22 days after the Fling, and I still doubt I'd be in great shape but it's just along the road and I'd still hope I could get low 3:20s... And if its all going tits up, I'll just DNF at Dunblane/Bridge of Allan and get the train homeimage

2 and a half weeks off work from now so hopefully I can get some consistent running in, to fight this relentless weight gain program I currently seem to be on... image

• I seem to have put on a few pounds too, Stuart, despite running more and eating pretty cleanly. I hate to think what the scale is going to say after I've been stuffing my face over Christmas. I may have to drop my carbs a bit after NY. Not looking forward to that.

Well done on the muddy 14, Ollie, and the runs and swimming, NP.

Much better run today. After my sluggish effort yesterday, I wasn't sure what I'd do today but the crisp sunny weather gave me some energy and I ended up doing a 6.5 progression run: 10:31, 10:11, 9:50, 9:26, 8:53, 8:38 (last half mile was a cooldown at 9:55 pace). Lungs feel as though they've had a nice workout. Hopefully that won't ruin me for my first "foreign" parkrun on Saturday. (I'm leaning towards Stretford Park).

• Afternoon. image

HM4: Thanks.
    NP: Yeah, get a lot less monotony with the trails than with the roads.  Nice training from you too.
    SM6: Sounds like a good plan for the races, hope the rest period has given you enough recovery time to get back into the swing of things.
    Cal: It was quite bright here too, which I think does help the running, it felt easier today.  Nice going on the 6.5 miles, nice splits.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

6 miles for me today, which has taken me over my target of 3,000 miles this year, now sitting on 3,002.6 miles.

Have a good day. image

Have a good day. image
  • SM6 welcome back and enjoy the next couple of weeks off running the weight will fall off as soon as you are getting consistent.

Cal well done on the progression run enjoy your Park run on Saturday.

Ollie nice running and that is massive miles for the year.

Two runs on the trails today for me one of 7 miles and one of 6 miles rest day tomorrow.

• 2 short runs in horrible weather today.

Awaiting "Barbara", image Orkney in transport lock down after midday tomorrow ...

• NP , not sure which friend you mean ? she ? I think you may mean Jody ? she is actually a he !! the times he has been announced as first lady at a race is really funny ! nice doubles from you as ever ! 

Ollie , there is only  one marathon ! I am doing London 2017 , nice streaking well done on all those miles ! 

OH bad luck in the weather , nit too bad here  for us southern  softies !  

Cal nice progressive run there , always better in bright chilly weather , my kind of weather 

SM6 Sounds like a sensible decision , no point in spending all that money to batter your body for a half hearted effort , save your energy for something else, thats how I felt about this years non Abingdon !! I started the training , crap life events took over and I couldnt be bothered ! ... hope the injury is improving , as for the weight gain !! merry christmas !! not a good time of year to diet ha ha ! 

6 easy miles yesterday and 11 medium long run in 1 hour 29...  @8.06 pace today .... feeling very very easy ... 

track session tomorrow ..