Sub 3

Comments

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Didn't know Dan was doing Pisa too but if so all the best to you & RS.

Nice to see Al P (nice half!) & Piscator dropping in.

• Enjoy Pisa.

If you think you can or you think you can't you're probably right.
  • Good luck in Pisa RS & Dan.

Well run Al. 50K XC sounds like a breeze - not!

Parkrun & XC on the same muddy, lumpy course for me today. 4th at PR then 4th scorer in XC so a reasonably good day's racing. Long run tomorrow will probably be veeerrry slooooow!

• Looks like being a cold, sunny morning here in Pisa with not much wind. Pretty much my favourite conditions. Legs and brain are rested and ready.

Let's go!
  • Go get it Ryan - hope you have a great run.

I'm confused, is Dan running Pisa too? If so - hope this one is a good one Dan.

• Yep Dan is running Pisa, todays the day Dan!!

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭
    Yep, late entry for me as I didn't want to end the year on a poor race.

Went round in 02:51:00 which is a 19 min improvement on 4 weeks ago. Not a PB but since I ran solo for 30k for my 4th best mara time I'm quite happy with that.

RS way up the road. Going to join him now for a few snifters.
  • 2:36:58 - Through halfway in 1:16:40ish but never felt great - aerobically strong but legs not happy. Turned into a brisk wind at 18m, held it together ok until about 22m then the legs exploded. Smiled all the way and stopped to take a bow before stepping over the line.

Build up was spot on and the taper was good so not sure what happened really. Now's not the time for analysis, it's time for beer image

Will post a full report tomorrow.
  • Glad you were able to end the year with a good one Dan.

Sorry you didn't get what you wanted Ryan.

Enjoy the beers guys.

• WardiWardi ✭✭✭

Chapeau to both of you, well toughed out.  Enjoy those Moretti's image

• Well done both. Great running. 

18 slow, hilly, trail miles for me today brings up 70 for the week

• Ryan & Dan -- well done! Wish I could get a time like that even having blown up a bit, RS... enjoy the Peronis.

Al_P -- ah, I was maybe too hasty buying another Gamma recently. What I 100% require (to avoid getting mown down on the unlit busway) is the proper rear red light, which no others seemed to have -- but the Qark you identify certainly does! So that looks interesting for sure. I'm OK with the new Gamma (using NiMH without apparent problems) for now though. I also bought a Muon some time back, which runs off a single AA. But despite it's claimed rating, it seems rather feeble, and only had a button cell flasher thing on the back in terms of a red light. Well done at Gosport BTW, and good luck with that ultra!

My 'down' weeks ended up being 40 and 50M. Like SL I feel I'll need to counteract holiday eating with a reasonable amount of running now. Did 10M easy yesterday, and 15M reps/tempo today, which was pretty reasonable (total 15M @ 6:31/M). However, while I could easily have made it 20M or more, I held back and left it at that, not wanting to start my VLM campaign too early.

Anyone done Margate parkrun before? I feel a bit of tourism coming on...

• Dan That's more like it.......well run on your latest European adventure

Ryan I am not sure I can say hard luck on such an impressive time.

First 60 mile week for me for about a year.......a few slow ones on the beach today in Cornwall. Fantastic weather, cool and fresh.
  • PadamsPadams ✭✭✭

Well done to the Pisa boys, hope you enjoyed the beers afterwards!

Jooligan - nice double-race and then a long run, good stuff.

CW - good to see you're taking it a bit easier for a few weeks.

OO - back into some good mileage there.

I did an easy run on Saturday with some mates - only 11M, but that was my longest run for some time!

Then on Sunday it was XC. The race was starting at 10am, and I was milling around near the start at 10am, but as there were still lots of people on their way to the start line, I wasn't ready to go and there had been no 5 minute warning or similar. Then I heard the hooter and saw everyone running off. Quickly whipped off my long sleeve top (had vest underneath), but was right at the back of the field on a narrow track with a hedge on one side and ploughed field on the other.

After about 30 seconds of walking near the back of the field and then another 30s of jogging very slowly, it started to move a bit more and I was able to get going, but by then I could see the lead pack way off in the distance (at a guess around 30 seconds ahead). It was quite good fun overtaking everyone but I spent a fair bit of time in the heavy field rather than smoother track (or doing short bursts to move past groups) and was working pretty hard quite early on.

Anyway, slowly picked people off and at halfway I was in 5th, pretty close to 2nd-4th but the leader was a long way ahead. Moved into 2nd with about a mile to go and closed slightly on the leader but didn't really get near him. He looked pretty fresh at the finish anyway, so maybe he would have beaten me in any case. And he hadn't been at the previous 2 fixtures (don't know who he was) so I extended my lead in the individuals standings.

To be fair I can't really complain as it did start on time. No harm done anyway and was probably better training!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    padams - your laid back approach awlays impresses me esp for someone so good

great to see strong races from ryan and dan, re the taper I find complete zero days to be a cause of heavy legs on race day, taper week would be the one week I run every day.

I had some long commutes last week and it ended up with a few rest days and no running for a week, which led to the most uncomfortable 5m Saturday since I started running again, rest days obviously arnt the answer for me either, and full recovery is a long way away.
  • RS and Dan, well raced at Pisa, hope you enjoyed the beers! Ryan, I know it will be tempting to try an analyze what happened, but at least relax and enjoy a mince pie or two first!

Jooligan, nice miles. I hit 70 for the week myself. Feeling a bit battered today, so glad I opted to keep Monday as a rest day in my updated plan.

TR, sorry to hear you're still having trouble. I do feel that rest isn't always the answer. Muscles tend to weaken and that can put more strain on injured tissue. So perversely, sometimes more running could help. The trouble is it's impossible to know for sure.

Padams - from last to 2nd, who do you think you are, Max Verstappen?!?

• ES - Cheers regards Wolverton. But was hoping for 26.15 odd really - conditions were good too..Happy with yours? Yes IK is rapid. And I've seen the training in the flesh..yes it does really happen image

Decent weekend - managed to keep ahead of PP at the South of Thames senior to get 1st V40..I'm sure PP will report fully on here, mine is on the Stevie G thread as usual. Trying to stay ahead of him is going to be tough! Looks like we will be both toeing the line at the 5,000m in Aarhus in August too!

• RS - sorry you didn't get what you wanted, but still a bloody good time!

Dan - glad you finished the year strongly.

Solid HM Al_P.

Padams - quality! Well done!

Not much to report here. Only ran Tuesday/Wednesday for a grand total of 17 last week. Family stuff took over the rest of the week and I never even got close to lacing up. Back to it with a solid 10 today.

• Evening all - checking back in after a pretty crappy summer/autumn with achilles niggles on both sides, and an ongoing back problem which is probably the root of everything. Hence very little running and not very optimistic about keeping my decent London streak going. Started the 18 week build up to London with a bad cold and a zero, but maybe I'm just getting that out of the way for a perfect winter's training?
  • ... oh, by the way, our washing machine's nearly had it so welcome any tips on what to get next.
  • CL - My Philips is still going strong since I bought it second-hand, 15 years ago.  This either means (a) you should get a Philips cos it will last, or (b) don't listen to me, cos washing machines are probably far more efficient these days anyway and technology has probably moved on.  Actually, (c) this is the sub-3 thread, therefore: Bosch.  image

All the best getting back to it.

Ryan - Top effort at Pisa, more good experience to take into the next one.

Dan - Congrats, great to end the year with a very non-shit marathon!

Congrats again to SC on nabbing V40 honours from me, but the margin's getting smaller!  I was very pleased to make the scoring 6, and we won the 6- and 12-to-score team awards comfortably in the South of the Thames Senior XC.  Nominally 7.5 miles, actually 7.11 according to my Garmin, but the longer distance seemed to suit me as I worked through the field and caught one of my club mates who has soundly beaten me in each XC race so far.  I had SC in my sights but he managed to finish strongly so I settled for 2nd V40 and 27th overall, my best position for this race. Incidentally, we hosted the race in Beckenham Place Park. The council have recently closed one of the few (only?) public golf courses in London and it was a bit surreal literally running over the greens and up and down fairways (before it got more interesting through the woods.)  No idea what the future of the course will be but it's a nice place to run around.  Maybe one for the County champs?

• Dan ADan A ✭✭✭

OK, brief race report for Pisa Marathon:-

Only entered this 3 weeks ago, after a really disappointing run at Valencia.  Autumn aim was for a sub 2.45 PB attempt and a 78 min half at Manchester, followed the week after by an easy 3.09 -ve split training run at Abo, suggested I'd be in the ballpark.  As it turned out, I just couldn't get near target MP on the day and had to grind out a 3.10.  Hence feeling the need to put it right before waiting for the spring, and Pisa 4 weeks later was the only option in Europe.  Did mean a pretty boring December though image

Met with RS on the journey out, so was good to spend the build up with some company.  I'd resolved to run more to feel which should ensure I'd get what I deserved rather than chase an arbitrary time which I might not be capable of.  I did wear a watch, but only looked at it three or four times throughout.

Marathon & half started together (about 1600 in each), so plenty to run with early on.  Checked watch at 5k (19:30) which is 2.45 pace, but felt a little quick so I eased back and decided 2.45 wasn't on.  A good decision which saved the run early on.  Without slowing particularly but with with a much more relaxed mental attitude I settled into a group of three with the second placed woman in the half, and a guy I though was doing the marathon.  The 10k timing mat came at 38.20 but the 10k marker was at 40.00, either side of a long bridge, so the official splits looked like I'd sped up (I hadn't, nor had I slowed down) and it meant they were pretty relaxed about accurate km markers.

Both the pair I was with peeled off at 13k for the half turn point, which left me alone and running solo which was the case until the finish.  A group of four eased past, but I didn't feel inclined to tag on as it felt a fraction too quick.
    I passed the halfway timing mat (which was placed at the 21k marker) at about 01.22.40 on the watch, so was probably nearer 1.24 in real terms.  Also passed RS and a UK guy I know running together on the way back of an out-and-back section, both looking good inside the top 10.

There were no spectators really on the whole course (reminded me of Abingdon), but the highlight of the next 10k was a tourist stepping backwards onto the road to take a photo at the 28k mark, oblivious to the race going on.  I clattered into her knocking her to the floor and me backwards momentarily.  Lots of rapid Italian and arm waving ensured, and at this point group of 3 including lead woman went past.

I tagged along until almost 30k but couldn't keep up.  We'd turned into the wind and it was getting tough from here (as it does in a marathon I suppose).  Had a few pass me from here, but also I went past half a dozen lost souls in marathon no-mans-land.  Other than dodging a few cycling pelotons who were using the partially closed roads to antagonise us, it was quite uneventful until the end.  Nice to finish in front of such an iconic landmark.  If I'd checked the watch I could have sprinted for a sub 2.51 finish, but last turn and run to the line with the clock was only about 20 yards apart.

All in all, I'm reasonably happy with that.  3-4 min +ve split seemed common for those I spoke to after.  RS will doubtless confirm, though his 7th place was still fantastic.  Need a bit more speed work over the spring to get back into 2.45 shape I reckon.  Keeps me keen for another season I guess.  Anyway, off to the darts tonight, so will make up for December abstinence with a few cold ones.

• You sound very relaxed about the pedestrian and pelotons Dan I think both of those would have wound me up no end. Enjoy the beers.

• Here we go then.....

Met DanA at Gatwick and talked non-stop about running in general. Ended up being the last to board the plane due to aformentioned chatting and a misplaced boarding pass image In Pisa we walked up to the Expo and then had a very classy dinner of pizza, chips and coke next to the Tower. Had an early night and slept ok-ish.

Race morning was the usual routine of banana, flapjack and coffee and headed to the start ready to go and feeling good. Made my way in the 'elite' front pen, said hi to Dan in the pen just behind and met up with the guy from Barnes runners that I'd arranged to run with.

About 10secs into the race I came face to face with a photographer in the middle of the road!! Nearly knocked him and myself over but just about managed to stay on my feet and shout some expletives before calming down and getting on with it.

The plan was 3:36/km until halfway (76:03) and assess from there. I also set a HR limit of 163 until halfway. The first few kms went by and we were pretty much bang on target at 5km but it didn't feel as easy as I hoped - HR and RPE were ok but my legs were worryingly heavy. By 10k we were about 20secs behind the plan and I told Paul that I wasn't too bothered as my legs weren't feeling too good. At 12km the half marathoners peeled away and a group of four of us were running together. We pretty much ran at 3:40/km until halfway (76:40ish) where we accelerated a little and dropped our two Italian friends. 21-29k was the best section of the race for me - I was getting into a rhythm and we were consistently knocking out 3:36/km.

At 29km we turned right back towards Pisa and hit a brisk headwind that immediately slowed us to 3:48/km for the same effort and HR. Paul started to struggle and dropped away at 31km. Into the wind my legs were deteriorating quickly and by 34km I was forced to slow down to make sure I could physically get to the finish! I felt good mentally and ready to push hard but for whatever reason, my legs would not play ball. It did mean that I wasn't red-lining for the last 8km and could 'enjoy' it a bit. Stopped looking at the watch other than to occasionally look at my HR diving!

Got overtaken at 41km but had nothing to respond with. Really enjoyed the finish and was blowing kisses to spectators before stopping a metre short of the line, bowing and then walking across it arms aloft. Probably looked like a wally but it felt good image Immediately after stopping my lower back and right groin were very painful and even walking was a struggle. My legs were way worse than normal for the rest of the day. May be the two days off before (one day off is normally what I do) could have made them feel a bit heavy but the pain afterwards was odd.

Anyway, I should get 100E for coming 7th and it was good to meet DanA and have a few beers afterwards as well. I'm having a few days off and considering the plan for the Spring. I have entries to Manchester and London but won't race them both
  • HH

Superb reports Dan and Ryan - sounds a lonely course, so well raced! 

Nothing really to report here, just banging more commute miles in - 5 doubles last week, a short recovery run pacing at a parkrun (target 22, ended 21.54), and an almost 18 on Sunday to give 85ish for the week.  Legs getting used the mileage again. 

• How have you felt since Ryan? Legs back to normal or not yet?

Marathons are such fickle things aren't they - months of work and it can just not go right on the day for no known reason.

I'm ticking over on about 80 miles a week at the moment and wondering when to up it and whether to see if I can tolerate (and hopefully perform) off even higher mileage than last year - probably by adding in some short recovery runs as doubles. Any thoughts?

• Robust performances both of you, Dan & RS, with a bit of Italian chaos thrown in spectator-wise for our entertainment! Hope those odd pains aren't anything lingering, RS.

SC2 -- large hat off to anyone who can take down PP in the V40 stakes, well done both of you too.

CL -- you're my quiet hero of the V45 table at VLM, always knocking out those sub-2:40s with an understatedly comfortable margin. Really hope the back grief eases off and you can do it all again!

I've been putting in more pre-emptive mince pie cancellation miles since 'breaking up' on Thurs, averaging maybe 12M/day. All easy stuff apart from the 15M session I did on Sunday though. But my low-mileage weeks are over for the time being at least (will have a light taper week before the Brass Monkey on 15th Jan though).

• Good reads Dan & RS. The random suicidal photographers sound a bit hectic but you both seem to have shrugged them off  rather than letting them ruin your races. Well run both - headwind is a killer especially at the backend like that.

Cracking XC racing from PP & Padams too.

I'm with TR on needing a short sharpening run day before racing to avoid stiff legs. Last Saturday's parkrun was preceded by a progressive 5K on the TM which peaked at 6m/m whereas this weekends followed a day off yet was over a minute slower. Some of that was down to the course which was an undulating grassy mudfest rather than a cinder path but the legs never really felt awake in spite of the mile warm-up. That said today's 20M was much better than 10 days ago. Same route but only 2s slower than in March this time. Even managed to get out this evening for 4M including 16x100m strides too. Could be that yesterday's rest day did me some good as I was shattered after Saturday's race double & Sunday's slow 18M.

• Nice going Dan & RS - perhaps not the times you'd hoped for at the start, but others would have ploughed on at target pace and come home a lot slower than you did, well raced.

CL, welcome back, odds are the enforced rest will see you back stronger in the new year, I think you'll be right up there with your usual time at VLM.

Local 10k for me at the weekend.  Not the quickest by thread standards (36:34) but that's just 10 seconds down on my other 10k of the year in February.  I was in the lead group of 3 most of the way, we split on a short climb at 7k or so with me in the middle and I couldn't get it back from there although it was more him pulling away rather than me slowing, which is encouraging.  1st V50 as well, which is nice.

• Al_PAl_P ✭✭✭

Great reports Ryan & Dan, and great work in both cases despite the random photographer/tourist/cyclists hazards! Liking the old boys XC racing from SC & PP at the weekend too image

CW - I have the Muon as well, was using it when we passed on the Busway a month or two back. I find it ok for running the twin flood LEDs on bright setting is usually enough for dark roads/non-technical offroad and the spot is reasonable for technical XC. On busy roads I pair it with a Silva button cell red flasher clipped to my shorts for a bit more visibility. Nice 15M at the weekend, that was a lot of laps of the Common though, looking at Strava....?

Padams - Top effort to get from the back to the front of the XC, reminds me of a XC race I did last summer, had an appalling start and watched about 50 stream past me around the first open field lap. Then we hit a narrow bit through the woods and I had to make tactical overtaking surges to get the places back before we strung out too much, not a great results but quite a lot of fun.

TR - Very glad to hear that you are back doing some running, I hope things improve (and sure they will) even if it is bit by bit.

TT - 'Tis that time of year when running plays second fiddle to a lot of things I find

CL - Good to see you again. I concur with PP, but don't forget white as well (practice what is preached recently myselfimage)

RB - Excellent parkrun pacing

LMH - 80M/wk is solid. I thought you had knee trouble, or did that clear up?

Jooligan - You comments on a short sharpening run the day before a run run true here. I've taken to doing a bit of short quick stuff on the treadmill recently, either 4-5M with the last mile of 30'@16kph/30' Easy or the same distance progressively ramping the speed up. Think it helps the leg turnover and biomechanically preps for going faster. Anyway upshot is that I managed my fastest parkrun (17:30) in a long time a couple of weeks ago.

CD - Nice bit of 10k racing there.

Not a lot to report here, last week was going well with 60 odd banked up to Friday, but then carded a double zero due to an annoying weekend long cold bug image. Could feel it coming in my runs a few days before, now hoping it hasn't knocked my fitness back much (I seem to be quite prone to this happening, even with minor illnesses!). Back to normal pretty much on Monday, so running resumes as normal. Although the back-end of this week is peppered with nights out and family stuff, so the next week is going to be a slightly haphazard taperish period into the 50k next Wednesday.