2017 Marathon Training Thread

Opens the door on the 2017 Marathon Training Thread turns on the lights and puts up the open and welcome sign.image Let 2017 be filled with PB's.

Comments

• Happy New Year everyone!

Goals for this year: Sub-4:30 marathon (although any PB would be welcome. I've only got the one marathon under my belt - two more booked for this year). And general improvements to all my times. Also, to stay injury free - or at least, keep niggles to a minimum. I'm turning 50 this year so that's always a battle, but fingers crossed.

• Morning all and all the best for 2017 ...

A dreich start to the year here but may do something later

Loch Katrine Marathon and Cape Wrath running festival already entered

Plan on retiring in April although will continue to do some work

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year to regulars and new folks alike image

Loved reading the 2016 reports on the old thread. Cal you've done great and lots more to come in 2017.

Stuart I would be over the moon to get my half PB below 90 minutes so your marathon target will be smashed soon.

OH that's an impressive list of races.

2016 seemed to be full of injuries for us all so 2017 will be the comeback year!image
  • TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Happy New Year allimage

• First parkrun of the year done! I didn't go out or do anything last night but I did go to bed after midnight, seeing as the neighbours tend to let off fireworks and would have woken me if I tried to go to bed any earlier. Slept pretty well but felt quite tired anyway.

After parkrun (+3 miles) yesterday, my right hammy and left glute were pretty tight and grumpy, and I seem to have a bit of a twinge in the left knee. Lower legs are much better though, so I guess that was just a temporary tightness.

A fairly small field for parkrun despite a slightly later start, so it would have been a great opportunity for a PB had that been on the cards. It wasn't, though. I decided I'd push but not race it, and I said Happy New Year to all the marshalls on the last lap and high fived some kids. I still managed to get a faster time than yesterday though (results aren't up yet but my watch made it 27:25, so about 12 seconds faster). And it's a 2017 PB. image

It was a lot warmer than yesterday too - I was in a buff yesterday, whereas today I was forced to shed my gloves and jacket on the final lap because I got too hot.

One of my resolutions is to make sure I stretch after a run, so did that when I got home. (Also attempting a sugar-free January, seeing as a dry January wouldn't present a challenge for me as I rarely drink anyway).

Anyway, happy 2017, everyone - I hope all your running dreams come true.

• Ooh well, 27:24 official, and an age group win! Also my highest lady placing (20th...but with only 109 runners in total, there were only 44 ladies there. And the 1st lady was in the 60-64 age category! She did it in 21:31. Amazing.)

• Second place in 17:37 on Saturday to close out the year. 5:20 opening mile, already 20 secs behind first place guy, settled in to maintain second place. I finished almost 2 mins behind behind first place.

Losing the chance to break 17 mins in my final Park Run for 2016 did not really matter, I wanted to get my 20th win for the year. 19 first place finishes in 2016 was a good return.

2017: I aim to run 40 Park Runs and run 1000 miles  for the year. In 2016 I ran a total of 700 miles including: 38 Park Runs, 2 Marathons and a Half Marathon. I cycled around 1600 miles in 2016. I will aim for 2000+ cycling miles in 2017.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Cal nice targets to lower for 2017 and well done at the park run.image

OH sounds like a full 2017 planned and training like a pro from April image

Fiona nice heels last night how are the calf's today? Hope you had a good night and lets stay injury free in 2017image

Teknik Happy New Year and lets see you running soon mateimage

Sub 17 well done at your park run and all the first place runs in 2016.image

Bit of a lazy start for me this year with the race on tomorrow so a couple of walks with the dog. Looking forward to the first race of the year and feel fit enough now to compete againimage

• Happy New Year folksimage

NP - Nothing wrong with a lazy start to the year! Good luck tomorrowimage

S17 - Still a decent parkrun, 19 wins last year is good going!image

Cal - A good time to start the year with!image 4:30 is a more than realistic marathon target for youimage

Fiona - An injury free 2017 for all would be good. I'm getting a little sick of seeing and typing 'achilles'...

You must have a great shot at sub 90. You'll clearly got the endurance so maybe just add a little more speed and you should be goodimage

Tek - Happy New Year!image

OH - Did you make it out?

--------

Was wanting to do around 7 miles to get my 1st 50 mile week in what seems like forever. But having spent all day in the pub yesterday (I was out by midday for the football) I ended up giving up at 4.5. Close enough!

Longer run tomorrow I think.

• Hi all- been a bit absent recently, but Happy new year /new thread all. In typical fashion I have already blown the plan to do fewer races this year- so I'm signed up for LK mara (see you there OH), fling ultra, clyde stride ultra, will tr to get into devil of the highland ultra, and am on waiting list for G24........pls I'm doing the second half of a team duathlon event- "only" 25 miles, from kinlochleven to ft william, but that includes running up Ben Nevis.

Oops.

Celebrated the new year with a 17.5 very hilly and windt trail run with 2 friends up above Callander. Pleased with how well that went!

• Sounds like an excellent start, tricia!

After a bit of post-Christmas malaise, I am back in the game. I had 12 miles planned for today and I wasn't quite sure how that would go as I did parkrun Saturday and Sunday.

I opted for a new route via Brockwell Park as it's my nearest parkrun other than Tooting (turns out, rather hilly), but I took a very indirect route there so I didn't reach the park until I was 6 miles in. I visited the park a few times as a kid and it's pretty nice, so I enjoyed the run and was able to maintain a good pace although I did slow a bit on the hills. Average pace was 10:11 (I am shooting for 10:15 miles in Brighton) although my actually paces ranged from 9:48 to 10:30.

Slight niggle on the inside of my right ankle, but other than that, my body handled it pretty well.

Saw a bunch of people with bikes waiting outside Brockwell Park lido. I guess they were triathletes - I can't imagine anyone else mad enough to go for a swim in an outdoor, unheated pool when it's 2 degrees out. image

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Cal congrats on the age winimage, well done on the 12 miler - I wouldn't fancy the lido either !

Sub17 nice result at the parkrun

NP hope the race went well

Stuart 4.5m after a day in the pub is a good effort...image

Tricia that's a great long run - well done on the hilly 17.5m

---

Slowly building here - 36m last week, should be low 40's this week.  Today was 5m including some 100 metre strides.image

• Tricia - Nice 17.5 miles to start the year!image A lot of big races in that lot!image

Cal - Well done on the 12 miles earlierimage

Tek - Good to see you slow building the milesimage Good run todayimage

--------

Planned 10 today, but only done 6 for one reason or another! I'll do 10 tomorrow! Current race list for 2017 is:

07/01 - Edinburgh Winter Run (5k)
    14/01 - East District XC, Broxburn (9k?)
    25/02 - Scottish XC Champs (10k)
    11/03 - D33
    09/04 - Grangemouth 10k
    23/04 - Edinburgh 10 miler
    29/04 - Highland Fling
    21/05 - Stirling Marathon
    02/09 - Glenmore 12hr
    01/10 - GSR Half Marathon

The 10 miles and the 33 won't be raced, and if I survive Glenmore I might do an autumn marathon, probably Frankfurt or Valencia. Not got much in the way of time targets this year, maybe sub 38 10k if I can get a decent attempt in the summer.

• Didn't do anything yesterday (kidney stone grumbling) but short run and swim so far today.

No lidos here Cal, so we have to "make do"  with the sea!  I am NOT a triathlete!

Impressive list SM6

Brilliant start to 2017 Tricia!

great parkrun sub17

Hope 2017 brings better than 2016 Tek

• Tek, a good week and a good start to this one, 

Cal, well done with the parkrun double and the 12 mile run, 

Tricia, looks like a busy running year ahead, and a tough long run in the hills, well done

SM, fingers crossed for an injury free thread this year, you are building well and being over 40 miles a week is a good base to build on for your marathon campaign ahead, good luck with the long run today

NP, looking forward to the first race report of the year image

S17, 19 wins at parkrun is very impressive, and a great time on Saturday

OH, you'll be training like a pro from April image

Fiona, I am sure 2017 will be a good year for us all image

-------------------

CBA yesterday and only 4 miles today to kickstart 2017, it took a while to get the legs moving.

2016 for me was one to forget, no PBs and being injured for 6 months in hindsight I shouldn't have run at Manchester as I was carrying an injury.

2017 goals

I deferred Manchester as there was no way I would be ready in time, I signed up for Stirling in November, realistically I think it might be a little too soon given my current state of fitness, my plan is to build a decent base over the next 10 weeks and then see where I am at.

Currently I haven't signed up for any other events but I would like to give Loch Ness Marathon another go in the Autumn, and a crack at a HM PB in the Autumn.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

SM6 Thats close enough and well done on the 6 today, nice race list for 2017image

Tricia  Nice 17.5 miles to start the year and another one with a good list of races for 2017image

Cal well done on the MLR of 12 miles and you might see OH swimmingimage a real man of steel.

Welcome back Teknik and nice to see you building up the miles do you have a spring marathon planned?

OH true man of steel going for a run and swimimage

SC its always good to have a goal even if its a 10k during the next couple of months, well done on the run today.image

I got up had a coffee then walked the dog and it was very cold, so I knew that the race over the glens was going to be a cold one. After getting my number I did a warm up and discovered that there was a lot of ice around the start area. The race starts on a road and slight down hill before you turn left on to the trail and up the first hill. I must admit I could have just sat down when I reached the top. Along the top of the glen it is quite undulating and very icy. At this point I was passed by two club mates who ran away from me up until around mile five. Between mile 2 and 4 I was neck and neck with an old club mate in the same age group as myself but on the big hill back up to the top of the glen he pulled away (just about everyone speed walks this part) Once I reached the top I had started to close on my two club mates who where still well in front of me.

Crossing the top of the glen again and trying to stay on two legs on the ice I closed the gap a bit more. On the run down the other side and across the road where the race starts the gap had closed further still. Just in front of me the guy lost his footing and nearly went down and over the edge of the trail, how he stayed was a miracle. Once you cross the road your back onto the trail with about 3/4 of a mile to go to the finish. On the last rise and with about 600m to go I passed the guy in front and closed the gap on my team mate. I finished 2nd in my age group and was the 3rd in the club home. A great start as always to the new year and nice to feel back in some sort of form. Time now to build the miles and more speedimage

• SM6- I'll be seeing you at a few races this year, then. I decided to pass on D33, and do LK mara instead.

NP- that sounds like a nippy wee race- well done on the age group placing ( and on not falling over).

Hope the grumbling stones behave OH.-brave to be swimming today!

Impressed with the weekliy mileage this early on, Teknik- I tend tp peak at about 35 miles perweek, but can't do that for too long before niggle set in- hopefully I am gradulally getting more used to it.

Probably just a wee run tomorrow- need to nip in to work, but not going to run all the way, will have to think about how best to fit in both.

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Well done on the hilly trail run yesterday Tricia. image

Stuart that's an impressive race list!! image So far I just have London on my list....so I guess its not really a list! 

Great racing NP! image Impressive start to the year. My calves survived the ceilidh but I got horrid blisters on the balls of my feet from too much dancing!! image

Stewart, good to have some goals image well done getting out today.

Hope you're ok OH, well done getting out despite the grumbling kidney stones.image

Teknik nice to see you building the miles - a lot more than me these days!! image

Cal thats a great run. image Marathon pace is fairly tough in training at this stage.

Great parkrun result Sub17 and fantastic to have your goals to focus on.

No run for me yesterday - I tried but the feet were too sore image so got on the turbo instead and did a pretty good session pushing the heart rate. Today I got an easy few miles in the trainers then took the mountain bike out (too icy for the road bike) which was fun but really messy! Hopefully tomorrow will be intervals then club turbo session at night.

F

• I'll be there and/or be square. image

Happy (belated) New Year, still been keeping my streak going and looking forward to Manchester. image

Have a good day. image
  • 4 and 5 mile treadmill runs today. 

Thursday will include 10 miles over 2 treadmill runs. 

Park Run on Saturday will make it 20+ miles for the week.

• TeknikTeknik ✭✭✭

Stuart that's a really impressive list of races for this year

OH thanks, hope you get rid of the stone soon

Stewart good luck with a hopefully injury-free base build

NP that sounded like a hairy course, well done on the age place silver.  I'm booked for Hamburg, same day as London, but that's only 16 weeks away - with the lack of running recently that might be too soon.  I've got my local half in 11 weeks, so I'll train for that and see how fit I am by the end of March.

Tricia hope you managed to fit in a run today

Fiona well done on the turbo, the easy run and the mountain biking - good mixture of training

Ollie congrats on the continued streak

Sub17 nice treddie running

---

Just a 4 mile shopping jog for me at lunchtime to pick up a few pints of milk.  I'm now back in London and looking forward to some club runs.image

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

Tricialitt hope you managed to get out running today.

Fiona nice work on the turbo and on the mountain bike, hope the blisters heal soon, enjoy the intervals.

Ollie well done on keeping the streak going.

Sub 17 you need to get out in the fresh air and run.image

Teknik 16 weeks is time enough to get fit for a marathon mate and you are now back to running with the club which will help loads.

Two runs today the first was 6 miles very easy on the trails then tonight was a steady 6 miles along the sea front, legs a little heavy after yesterday.

• 40 mph winds with rain today but put in  6 miles. No swim today (others were!)

Suspect it was a tad gusty across the water too, NP

Hope training for marathon is uninterrupted, Tek.

Even though the weather was lousy today, I would still have to get out sub17 imageimage

• Tek - Must have been awkward running back with a couple of pints of milk? Or did you just do the 4 miles milk free?image

S17 - Nice couple of runs todayimage

Fiona - Sounds a tough few sessions to start the year! Well doneimage

Tricia - I thought about Loch Katrine but being a non-driver it's too much of a hassle. With the D33 I think I'll stay at my brothers the night before and get the 1st train from Dundee to Aberdeen in the morning. It also leaves the possibility that I could do Alloa...image

NP - Nice race report, and a great start to the year!image

Stewart - Sensible call on Manchester, and I'll hopefully see you at Stirling if you can get the base built up!image

OH - Well done on the run and swim yesterdayimage

------------

10 miles at lunchtime and then gym this evening. Run wasn't pretty but I suppose it's going to be like this for a while. I'll just have to deal with it!

Weighed myself earlier too which was a touch surprising. Apparently I'm only about 8lb heavier than the summer, when I was threatening to blast all my PBs to pieces. Maybe a bit of cause for optimism. 

• Fiona CFiona C ✭✭✭

Ollie well done keeping the streak going image

Well done on the 10 miles Stuart. 8lb doesn't seem too bad? I'm still at my Frankfurt weight but hope to be a bit leaner by London image ever the optimist!!

OH I'm getting a bit tired of the wind, seems much breezier than normal, but at least it's not snow - could be worse I suppose. 

Nice double today NP image sounds like a lovely run along the seafront.

Teknik you'll be flying in no time. image I sometimes run for milk etc but time it so I walk back as the hill back home is bad enough without a rucksack! 

Sub17 more good training.image

Intervals for me this morning, 6 miles, then club turbo night tonight with a mix of tempo, threshold and hills. Finally added up my 2016 miles - 1,551 running and 4,042 cycling. Pretty low running miles but didn't do much for the first half of the year.

F

• Tek, nice bit of multi-tasking getting in some groceries whilst out for a run, sounds like a sensible plan,  

S17, well done with the treadie double run today

Ollie, great stuff keeping the streak going

Fiona, a good turbo session with club and well done with the run and mt biking.

NP, I agree with others that sounded like a treacherous course because of all the ice, well done with the age place 2nd a great start to the year image.  well done with the double run on tired legs

OH well done getting out there today, tough in the wind

SM a good 10 miles bank today, great news about the weight though you'll shift 8Ibs in no time

------------------

I felt like doing something a little faster today, so I decided on a 20 min LT run, 2  laps around the Uni campus as a warm up then the 20 minute session, boy it was tough and slow but it is all about the effort and there was plenty of that!

• God, Stewart, I initially read that as a 20 mile LT run. I thought, are you out of your mind? image

NP, way to go! image

Tek, welcome back. Hope your training goes well.

Good job on the mileage, Fiona. I'm a bit jealous that you managed not to get fat at Christmas. (For me it's not a question of getting leaner - it's a question of getting anywhere near approaching lean in the first place. image)

---

Day off yesterday to go to the IMAX. I was planning on 4 easy today but ended up doing 6 as the legs didn't feel too bad at all. I have to go to yoga later - I've missed a lot of classes lately.

• Dr.DanDr.Dan ✭✭✭

Happy New Year marathon folks! image Looking forward to seeing how your training and racing in 2017 pans out!

A reasonable December for me, although the inevitable over-indulgence and reduced training load over the holidays ... 127 miles total which included 3 x parkruns (20:25, 20:20, 20:16), 3 x interval sessions, and 4 x 15 mile long runs, so a good mix. Weight was a record low just before Xmas ... got back to normal routine yesterday but will need a few more days of bike/run/LCHF to empty the carb tank before I can see what my 10 days of holiday eating/beer did to that.

2017 marathons = London in April and Chester in October... minimum acceptable target is sub 3:30. I'll also do the ITU Olympic triathlon again in June when the world comes to Leeds.

Strategy is to continue on a LCHF diet, with bike commuting 4 days, and 4 days/5 runs per week ... "session" (Tues);  run commute out/back double (Thurs), parkrun (Sat),  and long run (Sun). So about 35 miles with another 44 on the bike. "Sessions" at the moment are intervals based on a 10K schedule as I'm aiming for a speedy Dewsbury 10K in early Feb ... after that they'll become Hadd-like sub-LT sessions (10 miles at 80-83% maxHR) up until the marathon. After that I'll have to concentrate more on swimming and cycling for 5 weeks!

• Good luck for  your marathon training everyone. The thread seems quite busy already.

I fell out of the 2016 thread after my spring marathon last year as I had to take a mental break from all things marathon post race and got distracted by the MLR thread.  Did do the Jungfrau in September. image

Plans for this year: K47 SwissAlpine (end of July) and something flat and fast in October, probably Frankfurt.  Will probably lurk here for now as I'm currently concentrating on a March 15km race.

• No PainNo Pain ✭✭✭

OH the wind was nothing like what you had thankfully, nice 6 milesimage

SM6 nice 10 miles and 8lbs is nothing that will soon  drop off when the longer miles kick in.image

Fiona double day of intervals and tempo/hills thats a big days training. Nice miles both running and on the bike. The run along the sea front past the Castle is very nice.image

SC The effort is well worth the reward with the faster running you will soon feel the speed returnimage This is a link to the race video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaHmdZF1zno  See if you can spot me around 3:20ish.

Cal well done on the six miles and enjoy the yoga.image

Dr Dan Happy New Year, sounds like you had a good Christmas and a good mix of training. Few on here going to London looks like you have the rest of the year planned outimage

Hazelnut welcome back and looks like you have a good year plannedimage

Onwards and upwards 70x25m front crawl this morning and just over 11 miles on the trails this morning.image