Options

Paris Marathon 2017

Comments

• Options

Happy New Year!!!

My girlfriend and I will be running the Paris Marathon this year!!! We have an Instagram page which tracks our progress and our activity. Would be great if any of you could follow to spur us on. Just seach @ej.active

We will be taking part in lots of events between now and then and raising money for some great causes.

THANKS!!!

EJ Active

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Hello everyone! It's been very quiet in here whilst we've all been off scoffing mince pies and chocolates! I've been a bit remiss in list posting. If anyone wants anything added or is I missed anything, let me know.

When are you off to the cold North LloydR?!

Jan 7: Polar Night Half Marathon - LloydR
    Jan 8: Temple Newsam 10 - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday. Brass Monkey Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 5: Dewsbury 10K - Andy-W-.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 19: Hampton Court Half - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Feb 26: Brighton Half Marathon - baldstan, EHN. Heartbreaker Half Marathon - AspirantRunner.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 5: Pafos Marathon - Andy-W-. Milton Keynes 20 miles - Christopher Field. St Helens 10K- ryantilley.
    Mar 12: Bath half - Christopher Field. Southend-on-Sea Marathon - kenno. North London Half Marathon - ryantilley.
    Mar 19: Reading Half - The Jimbob. Alloa Half - KennyM.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 2: Manchester Marathon - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2, Christopher Field.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.
    Apr 9: Paris Marathon
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 17: Boston Marathon - Slinkyminky.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday. London Marathon - The Jimbob, agentpenguin, LeggyMountbatten, Smudgerncfc. Hamburg Marathon - KennyM.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    Apr 26: Nells' birthday.
    May 1: Milton Keynes Marathon - Christopher Field.
    May 14: Leeds Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: TBO2's birthday.
    May 27: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster.
    May 28: Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon - Andy-W-, Orbutt, LeggyMountbatten. Liverpool Rock n Roll Half - Christopher Field.
    May 29: Vitality 10,000 - The Jimbob, Nells, TBO2.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 11: Bahtat marathon - Karen Bowman 2.
    Jun 23: Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 9: Leeds 10k - Andy-W-.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 6: York 10K - Andy-W-.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 24: Berlin Marathon - Slinkyminky, LeggyMountbatten, Christopher Field.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Oct 6: Slinkyminky's birthday.
    Oct 8: Yorkshire Marathon - Andy-W-, Christopher Field.
    Oct 15: Birmingham Marathon - Christopher Field, LeggyMountbatten, AspirantRunner.
    Oct 22: Great South Run - Loubella.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.

Apr: Two Oceans

• Options
    Nells, could you please add me to the following?

Jan 29th - Freethorpe 10

Feb 26th - Cambridge Boundary Run Marathon

Thanks.

Stuchbury - The Birmingham Marathon will be a tough one as it includes a circuit and a bit of the current Half Course which has a hill that lasts for two miles towards the end. I wouldn't fancy that around Mile 23. I am hoping that they will change the Course when the new HS2 Station is built and think that I will wait to see how the race develops over the next few years, as for me it's too similar to doing two laps of the Half at the minute.
  • Options
    TTTT ✭✭✭

Pondering the numbers entering Paris. I keep receiving emails advertising the Yorkshire marathon which last year sold out very quickly. Maybe it is the cost of some to these marathons given there are now so many available? This is not being helped by the fall in the pound either. 

• Options

Hi Smudger-Stuchbury, They have changed the end of the marathon in Birmingham to finish at millennium point instead of Broad street so taking out the two mile hill at the end making it a flat fast run as they say!!

Just started to up my long runs now to 13 miles ready for the Manchester marathon in April after taking it easy over the last couple of months.

Happy new year to all and hopefully everybody has an injury free year ahead!!

• Options
    LloydRLloydR ✭✭✭

Thanks Nells - for your comments and for maintaining the list for us. Flying out to northern Norway tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to it.

The temperature has been down to -17C this week but forecast is for it to warm up a bit for the weekend. Expected to be windy though so the chill factor may be a challenge. Having said that we are getting a taste of pretty cold weather in London right now.

• Options
    Nells, please could you add Berlin to the list for me too along with Bungay Black Dog Marathon on 2nd April.

Plan is nearly in order now. Just one more Marathon to choose for 2017.

Thank you!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

LloydR - Good luck in Tromso!

• Options
    TBO2TBO2 ✭✭✭
    Good luck Lloydr and everyone running this weekend!
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭

Signed up for Paris in September. My first marathon - just had to bite the bullet! No doubt I'll be badgering some of you veterans with silly questions as race day approaches and race day nerves kick in. 

• Options
    Welcome FRG2

Good luck in Thomson Lloyd.

Chris - Checked out the new route and you're right, it does miss out on "The HILL" or at least most of it. You still have two loops of the Half Course down by Selly which has a nasty hill too and around Bournville, Edgbaston and Cannon Hill Park which isn't easy either.

I would like to see them make the Marathon a separate event from the Half in future, or at least use the part of the Half Course only once, adding more new miles to the circuit elsewhere for Marathon runners. Hopefully this will be done in later years and it will become a successful race.
  • Options
    Hi there!

I'm in! My third Paris marathon but the first time I've joined this forum.

Steady training so far but today's ten miler was tough!

Looking forward to hearing everyone's progress and tips! I'm a slow runner but really want this to be the year I break 5 hours!
  • Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Welcome FRG2 and Em1927!

I also had a tough LSR this weekend. I felt knackered from start to finish of my run yesterday. The miles starting to build now, so hopefully my legs will stop moaning and deal with it.

• Options
    I also had a tough LSR this weekend... I didn't manage to get out at all! image
  • Options

Hi Everyone!

I've just signed up for 2017 - it will only be my 2nd Marathon but have a good few halves under my belt now.

I ran the Amsterdam Marathon in 2015 - struggled from mile 20 and missed my goal time of sub 4 hours...I was gutted but now I have another flat(ish) Marathon to work towards and hopefully nail the sub 4hrs this time around...

Training is starting to step up now - ran a 16 miler on Saturday but had no energy so im thinking i need to start sorting out my nutrition in plenty of time before Paris!

I've entered into the Green Pen - does anyone know which part of the pen is most likely to be set off first or is it all at the same time? Hoping to start towards the front of the Green pen ideally...?

Looking forward to hearing all about other peoples training and prep on this board between now and the race!

Ben.

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Another welcome to FRG2 and Em1927!

I tagged along with three others for my LSR this weekend, all of them with target times quite a bit faster than mine, but they pulled me along for a much speedier 13 miles than I would have done alone and were very kind about me being such a slow coach! Looking at my plan, the long ones are going to start ramping up soon. Why am I doing this again...?! It was nice to have company to chat to, and good to push myself a bit harder I think. I'll try and keep up the group runs if I can hold the pace.

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

Jan 7: Polar Night Half Marathon - LloydR
    Jan 8: Temple Newsam 10 - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2.
    Jan 12: Orbutt's birthday.
    Jan 15: Yer Maj's birthday. Brass Monkey Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    Jan 29: Freethorpe 10 - Smudgerncfc.
    Jan 30: Stuchbury's birthday.
    Feb 5: Dewsbury 10K - Andy-W-.
    Feb 10: Emmy's birthday.
    Feb 19: Hampton Court Half - Franz Wanzenboeck.
    Feb 26: Brighton Half Marathon - baldstan, EHN. Heartbreaker Half Marathon - AspirantRunner. Cambridge Boundary Run Marathon - Smudgerncfc.
    Mar 1: Radar Sal's birthday.
    Mar 5: Pafos Marathon - Andy-W-. Milton Keynes 20 miles - Christopher Field. St Helens 10K- ryantilley.
    Mar 12: Bath half - Christopher Field. Southend-on-Sea Marathon - kenno. North London Half Marathon - ryantilley.
    Mar 19: Reading Half - The Jimbob. Alloa Half - KennyM.
    Mar 25: Leggy Mountbatten's birthday.
    Apr 2: Manchester Marathon - Andy-W-, Karen Bowman 2, Christopher Field. Bungay Black Dog Marathon - Smudgerncfc.
    Apr 3: Betzza’s Birthday.
    Apr 7-17: Marathon des Sables - Dannirr, Nodster.
    Apr 9: Paris Marathon
    Apr 10: Kaz's birthday.
    Apr 11: Chris Morgan's birthday.
    Apr 17: Boston Marathon - Slinkyminky.
    Apr 23: Kirsten Lancs Lass' birthday. London Marathon - The Jimbob, agentpenguin, LeggyMountbatten, Smudgerncfc. Hamburg Marathon - KennyM.
    Apr 24: Picklelily's birthday.
    Apr 26: Nells' birthday.
    May 1: Milton Keynes Marathon - Christopher Field.
    May 14: Leeds Half Marathon - Andy-W-.
    May 15: Scott W's birthday.
    May 17: Simon Mac's birthday.
    May 20: TBO2's birthday.
    May 27: Kent Roadrunner Marathon - Nodster.
    May 28: Liverpool Rock n Roll Marathon - Andy-W-, Orbutt, LeggyMountbatten. Liverpool Rock n Roll Half - Christopher Field.
    May 29: Vitality 10,000 - The Jimbob, Nells, TBO2.
    Jun 1: Penny71’s birthday.
    Jun 2: Eggy's birthday.
    Jun 11: Bahtat marathon - Karen Bowman 2.
    Jun 23: Nodster’s birthday.
    Jun 25: Keyser Suze's birthday.
    Jul 9: Leeds 10k - Andy-W-.
    Jul 20: Meadower's birthday.
    Jul 28: ATM's birthday.
    Aug 4: Uisge Jo's birthday.
    Aug 6: York 10K - Andy-W-.
    Aug 18: Andy W’s birthday.
    Sep 4: Benign Murmurring's birthday.
    Sep 16: PC's birthday, Mrs O's birthday.
    Sep 24: Berlin Marathon - Slinkyminky, LeggyMountbatten, Christopher Field.
    Sep 26: Hayley B's birthday.
    Oct 6: Slinkyminky's birthday.
    Oct 8: Yorkshire Marathon - Andy-W-, Christopher Field.
    Oct 15: Birmingham Marathon - Christopher Field, LeggyMountbatten, AspirantRunner.
    Oct 22: Great South Run - Loubella.
    Oct 30: Orapidrun's birthday.
    Nov 6: Danni's birthday.
    Nov 25: Jimbob's birthday.

Apr: Two Oceans

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

And hello Ben Peachey!

Usually the pens are split in two, left and right. One side sets off first, then once that's clear the other. There's no knowing which side will be first I'm afraid, but as everyone in the pen should be within a similar pace, it shouldn't make too much of a difference. There are only a few entries into the pens, so if you do plan on getting to the front, then I'd aim to get there reasonably early, or otherwise switch to purple and get to the back of that one. It's a pretty efficient start, even towards the front of the pack from what I've been told. It helps to have one of the widest sections of road right at the start so everyone has plenty of room to ease into it.

Here's the timings for the start for you - unless you're right at the front, I find it better to take your time getting to the pen as otherwise you're just standing around for half an hour.

/members/images/800469/Gallery/595af.jpg

• Options

Hi Nells, thanks for the information - really appreciate it.

I'm thinking switching to the purple and heading to the back of that pen might be a good idea! I am hoping to finish within that kind of time anyway so might work well.

Do you have any idea how I arrange a transfer of of my bib colour?

Appreciate the advice, thanks again!

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Welcome Ben!

As Nells has said there is no knowing which side of the pen gets out first, but to be honest that shouldn't hinder your time. There are a couple of bottlenecks on the course and unless you're very fast (sub-3) the course will be very busy from start to finish.

If you need a boost to your sub-4 goal. I missed out on sub-4 at Amsterdam back in 2010 due to cramping up at the exit of Vondel Park. My first sub-4 came at Paris in 2012.

Nells - I also had many 'why am I doing this?' thoughts on Saturdays LSR. Now with added pleasure of weather forecasts of arctic winds and snow from Wednesday. image

• Options
    NellsNells ✭✭✭

There's normally a desk at the expo where you can switch, so after you've collected your number, the desk is usually before you continue on to the trade stalls etc ac they will do it for you there. Unless you're trying to move into one of the sub 3hrs pens, I don't think they ask for any justification for it, but if you've got something like a half marathon result to back you up it might be an idea to take this along with you.

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

Ben - You can switch pens at the expo when you pick up your bib. There's a desk next to the bib collections. They just stick a different coloured label over the existing one on the bib. From past experience they've never asked for proof when moving up/down between Green/Purple pens.

• Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭

I'm struggling with LSRs too. 15 miles last weekend but was ready to stop at 7. Any suggestions for gels/hydration? I'm reluctant to carry too much, but probably need to, as I'm slow! 

• Options
    FRG2 - not that I'm a great example but I took six gels last year and had one every four miles (and trained with them). I fared a lot better than the previous year when I carried them but was too scared to take on too much!

15 miles is good! Well done!
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭

Thank, Em1927. Just looking at High5 to try, as it looks like I won't need water with these. 

• Options
    Eggyh73Eggyh73 ✭✭✭

FRG2 - I use High5 gels and get on ok with them.They're not as sticky or sweet as many and I find easy to take on the run. Much like every other gel taste wise the relation to the description on the packet is something of a fantasy.

When it comes to gels it's trail and error until you find something that works for you. Some people have stomach issues with certain brands and others have issues with only being able to consume a certain amount of them.

On marathon day I take four, which is far less than many take, but I don't feel I've ever needed more than that. I never take any more than two on my training runs now, as I have my race day routine sorted these days.

Hydration wise I carry a Lucozade Sport bottle in my hand on my long runs and on race day. I've always done that so it doesn't bother me at all. How much of it I drink really depends on how warm it is that day.

• Options

Nells & Eggyh73 - thank you very much for your advice. Really appreciate it!

• Options

Hi all, haven't been on for ages. Happy New Year!

List fairy can you please add me -Winter Railway Ultra 18th February 

Now I just need to lose the weight gain from Christmas to help the long runs feel a little easier!

• Options
    Andy-W-Andy-W- ✭✭✭
    Happy New Year all. First race ticked off with Temple Newsam Ten (a hilly muddy trail in Leeds)

Took it easy in first mile which paid off later on with proper hills at mile 7.5-8.5 and then between 9.5-10.

Knocked 5 mins off last year's time. Although weather conditions were better this time I felt much better and enjoyed it throughout.

Next week is Brass Monkey half marathon in York ... nice n flat road race, the way I like them.
  • Options
    FRG2FRG2 ✭✭✭

Thanks, Eggyh73. Received a box of 'citrus' today, so will see how they go. Reluctant to carry a bottle, but think I may need to, at least for training runs.