New Bike suggestions

I am lucky enough to be hunting for a new bike having spent the last year racing on an entry level road Norco road bike. I love it - but Santa thought I'd been good this year and having signed up for my first (and second!) 70.3 this year, I'm looking to upgrade.

I've got about £2500 to spend and I'm fairly sure I don't want a TT bike. I want a bike I can ride on the roads around the Peak District (lots of hills) for rides around 50 - 100km as well as one I can use to race in sprints, standards and a couple of flat 70.3s.(this year - who knows what next year will bring!)

I'm a short arse too at 160cm (5'3") with a negative ape index! This immediately discounts a whole range of bikes including Ribble which I'd been looking at. I also have really small hands and so adjustable brake levers would be useful.

I've been looking at Aero bikes and particularly the Boardman Air Women's. But I'm completely open to suggestions of any bike that might fit the bill,

Any suggestions, ideas for consideration much appreciated. Essentially I'm a little clueless!

Thanks x Pink

Comments

• Aero bikes are just marketing really. They wont be faster in the real world.

If you're serious about racing then a tt bike is what you need. You can pick them up for a grand or so.

That leaves you with 1500 for a Road bike.

Plenty of choice out there from the big brands.

Any bike over say 800 or so will be a decent bike. A 2400 quid bike wont be three times as good/fast.

Are you keeping the old bike for a winter bike? What gears do you have on that? I try and keep the gears compatible so i can swap wheels if needs be.

Also how Hilly are your rides and races?
  • Unusually, I'd disagree with cougie on this one - unless you're looking to be very competitive, you don't need a TT bike.  It's nice to have one, but you're not going to use it much outside of race days especially living in the peak district.

I would suggest budgeting maybe 2k for a bike, and the rest on some decent aero bars, maybe a change of saddle and a proper bike fit, which will give you a set of measurements to work from.  A decent fitter will be able to tell you which bikes are worth looking at for your size.

• Thanks both. I've got a set of aero bars which I've currently got on my roadie. I was going to get a proper bike fit for my existing bike, but I'm looking at now getting a basic fit to get a good set of measurements and then getting a proper all singing all dancing fit once I've got a new bike. And taking my aero bars along so I can get a full fit / set up done.

I really don't think a TT bike is going to be the best bet (even though the thought of buying two bikes instead of one is hugely tempting!)- as 95% of my riding is on big hills around the peak. Races this year include Slateman, another local hilly sprint and then two flattish 70.3s.

Really appreciate your thoughts both of you.

• Entirely up to you. I do 99% of my riding on my normal bikes and save the TT bike for a bit of practice and then racing on. I don't like putting bars on and off the road bike - I've done that in the past and all the reassembling means the bars will come loose for one event or another...
  • I have a Boardman Air 9.2.  Absolutely love it, and I am definitely faster on this than my Specialized road bike.

• Personally, I don't really get why TT bikes are deemed so bad if there's hills about the place.  

Uphill - chances are you're out of the saddle and up onto the bull bars, which is not much different from being on the hoods on a road bike, so you're not losing much.

Downhill - you're more aero on a TT bike, so therefore faster, and as long as you're confident transitioning from the aero bars to the bull bars quickly enough to get to you're brakes when needed, then for me a TT bike wins every time, if being as fast as possible over a long distance, and saving your legs for the run, is what's important to you.

Each to their own though.  At the end of the day, £2,500 is going to buy you a nice bike whatever option you choose.

Just don't buy a red one, for God's sake.

• Thanks Road to Nowhere and Pudge - it's ok it has to be Pink!!

• I have to ask why you think Ribbles are out?? I'm only 5' 4" and I have an XS Ribble Sportive that I love! Admittedly I do have a slightly +ve ape index, but the geometry can be tweaked by changing stems etc!
  • That's useful to know IrOn Little Sister. Looking on the site they start from 5'5 recommended height and I'm scraping 5'3 with a very negative ape index. I'm getting a proper fit / measurement at a local bke store so I should have a better idea of options.

• I noticed you mentioned riding in the Peak District, just wondering, where are you based??
  • Hey - I live in Whaley Bridge, just down the road from Buxton.

• I'm near Chesterfield, I was thinking if you were nearby you could try my Ribble to give you an idea of sizing!
  • That's really kind. I'm hopefully going to try a Liv and a Specialized at the local shop. Definitely useful to try. I feel like I know nothing!!

• Who care's what bike as long as it's a red one, everyone knows red bikes are faster.