My Last Run

Comments

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    21miles on the bike yesterday and yet another puncture early on. Had my tyre repair kit and stuff for a roadside fix. Fourth puncture in 3 months.

8.3miles tonight in 59:45. Averaged 7.10m/m which is pleasing as haven't really managed much pace recently. Slightly spoiled by getting tripped up by a raised paving stone in mile 3. A few cuts and grazes but nothing major and was up and running straight away.
  • Should we rename this the accident thread? People keep falling over!

Freezing today - very pretty out with the sunshine and the frost but it took my fingers two miles to stop hurting, even with gloves on.

Another 6 miles logged, this time tempo (2 at MP to warm-up, 3 a bit slower than HMP, one to cool down).

• Ouch JT!

Nice running Cal

Me- 4 ish miles progression in my lunch break. Very cold and icy. Need to find a decent half marathon training schedule- although I've done I reckon in excess of 20 of them over the years, I've never followed a plan. Would like to try for March's one. Any ideas?? I'm aiming to better my PB of 1.53

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    13.3miles in just under 1hr37. Seem to be speeding up so figure my lungs are fully functional again. Even pace which is good. I had David Bowie songs spinning through my head. Cold out. No ill effects from yesterday's tumble. Elbow a bit sore. Or is it my arse? Always get those two mixed up.
  • I don't know about plans, Nessie, as I tend to make mine up as I go.

Speaking of, I've had to defer my Brighton marathon place due to the fact I just can't find any reasonably priced accomodation (I neglected to look as someone from my club was looking into a group accomodation for us, but then didn't mention they'd been unsuccessful). So looks like it's Manchester again for me.

• Oh no Cal! That's really annoying! Manchester was great though, and you were offered the discount too due to the cock up with the bags??

Me- 7 miles in the beautiful icy forest this morning with a friend. Will swim later too. Haven't swum in over a week. Missed it!

• I was but I waited too long to use it, unfortunately. But never mind. I can stay with the friend I stayed with last time, although he won't be able to give me a lift this time as he's working so it's still cheaper than a £300 hotel room in Brighton. And there's none of that silly business with an expo number pick up or tiny bags for storage. image

Sounds like a lovely run for you. Rest day for me - though I'm just back from the intermediate Bikram class which kicks my arse every week. image

• Good you didn't hurt yourself JT.

Bad luck on Brighton Cal.

Nessie, I have used myasics plans for almost all my races from 10 miles to marathon distance.  I was able to beat the predicted time for each one except the marathon but that was by choice as I didnt want to blow up and the conditions were bad on race day. You can set them up online for free with a kick-up-the-arse-go-and-do-your-run email reminder for each run.  They are quite intensive with I think low mileage but quite a lot of speed work.  If you prefer lots of long slow miles then maybe not the right thing.

Wednesday 11km including 8km tempo run at 4:53 / km.  The first four of the eight went very well then I turned into the wind! Struggled on the last quick km, had to tell myself to stop whinging..

Yesterday 4.5 km in the snowy woods in the VFFs. Just wanted to try them in the snow and enjoyed it so much I added a second lap.  Noted by the tracks in the snow that I tend to turn my right foot out at low speed.

Today cross training - around 12km cross country skiing (skating technique). My style is pretty lousy, I would have been quicker running up the hillier bits.  Good workout though.

• Ah I'm not too broken up about Brighton, honestly. I'll do it the following year instead. Plus, in addition to Manchester, I also have Liverpool to look forward to in May.

My right foot also does that. image

Parkrun today - holy crap it was busy! So busy I had to stop short of the finish due to the queue for tokens. Wasn't going to be a PB anyway. I averaged 8:43 pace which is a decent enough warm-up for my 10K in two weeks.

• 14,75km in 1:19 this afternoon. 14km at mediumish pace plus jogged the rest home. Waited most of the day for it to warm up to -5.5 degrees. Nice dry snow.  Hardly anyone about just a few birds - herons, egrets, ducks, buzzards.  All but the later must have had cold feet standing in the brook next to which I ran most of the time. One dog walker with an old English sheepdog which sang me a short song because it was so pleased to meet someone apparently. Got a pat for its efforts.  Could have carried on longer easily but have another tempo session tomorrow and had no headtorch/high-viz with me.

• Your running sounds amazing Hazel! I tried the Asics one for Manchester marathon, but ended up botching together one from other plans... I'll have another look at that though, thanks image

Nice parkrunning Cal

Me- had a XC Essex champs race today on an outrageously hilly, muddy, slippy course.  I wasn't much of a champ but it was never the aim to race it, just to add to the team numbers and give it a go. I think I finished in around 47 minutes for a 5 ish mile race and boy was it hard, even though that is slower than my easy paced runs!

Our women's A team got a bronze though! (I was in the D teamimage )

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

The temperature has lifted steadily over the past two days, so falling over now has a lower probability, for me at least!  Hope you're fine after your tumble, JT.  I thought of you while watching the documentary of David Bowie's last five years last night.

I'm back at college tomorrow, having finished on 23 Dec.  Think I'm ready. 

Animals, singing & silent, always cheer me up - dogs, last week's kestrel and plenty of sea birds.  The occasional kamikaze cat tests my reactions too.

• Well done everyone. One thing you don't get much of in London is solitude, at least not on runs. Today I did 19 miles in a shade under 3.5 hours and encountered a lot of other runners, including a kids' parkrun, which I blundered into and enjoyed seeing. Had a couple of near misses with trip dogs (why do they always run directly at your legs? Little bastards!) Saw a squashed fox carcass and not much else, wildlife-wise.

Happy with the run, though. It was very sedate for me (10:59 miles, average) but I'm about 6 weeks ahead of where I was this time last year, so I'm good with that.

I think I need a lie down now.

• Cal I think you deserved a lie down after that. 

Hope you have a good start back tomorrow swittle.  I have a kamikaze cat at home.. image  It likes rushing up and down stairs right in front of me.

Good race Nessie.  I thought about doing XC yesterday too for the first time since school many years ago but didn't fancy around -12 degrees - doubt there would have been too much mud around - only of the frozen variety.

Today: 8.5km tempo run in 40:43.  Those 8km runs are starting to get on my nerves but that is what my plan tells me to do so I will stick to it (mostly).  Biked to and from the start so as to see something other than the standard route I have been using quite a lot this week.  Was a good warm up / cool down.  0 degrees felt almost tropical.  First quick session in the new lightweight trainers.  Still happy with them, the grip on the snow covered sections was good. 

Ah: animal watch:  one little black lamb in a field next to my route.  Seems a bit early for that?

• That is early for lambs! Well done on the tempo. I'm glad it's not as cold as that here!I had a jacket on for Saturday's parkrun and had to take it off on the last lap.

Kept the jacket on yesterday (it was drizzling a bit) but had it unzipped for the last few miles.

90 minute yoga class today. Much needed.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Great distance, speed and mud work going on. I always find it motivating when someone is up to their ankles in filth or puts in a big distance to do the same.

I watched the Bowie doc swittle. Got a bit moist eyed. Bowie holds a funny place for me, same as Kate Bush. They can be crap or brilliant, and it all comes from the same place of passion and enthusiasm. They were/are artists in the bone.

Anyway, 17.15miles in 2hrs13. Long off-roady bits, very muddy and feet sliding about. Went through a wood with pheasant calls echoing around the trees. Metronomic pace for the last few miles. Happy running.
  • Well done, JT.

I did a lowly 4 miles recovery after a patchy night's sleep. Nothing much to report.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Cheers Cal. 9miles on the nose today in 1hr05. Had my vivobarefoots on. Not too bad out but apparently snow and gales are coming. Brrr.
  • Good mileage JT.

Was out in the VFFs in the snow yesterday for 5.5km. Lovely. Took the foldy up rucksack to do some shopping on the way back and got a couple of funny looks and one grin for the footwear.

This evening standard Tuesday round with one other lady in by now around 10 cm of snow in parts. Trail shoes this time but those are not so good on slushy snow downhill so careful footwork.  Waited for our solo guy to make sure he arrived back okay. He is quite a bit slower than the rest of us and normally sets off earlier and we almost always overtake him at some point.  He prefers to run alone and say hi and bye.. Suits everyone.

• Nice running JT, Cal, Hazel..

Me- back to the earlies and it was a 5.30 am outing this morning to meet a friend for 5 reps of 1k at a distinctly sedate pace. With a run there and back to warm up / cool down, it was around 6 miles. My first speed session since early December and it's (kind of) good to get back to it. Pitch black throughout but mild and no wildlife to report this morning

• All this talk of snow and I had to take my jacket off after a mile during today's run. Me, in a T-shirt, in January - what is the world coming to?

6 miles progression (well 5 progression, 1 cool-down). Lovely out - blue sky with a little early morning pink cloud, but also very mild. Only wildlife spotted was a dead fox, so I've done my civic duty and phoned the council to inform them.

• Nice sessions Cal and Nessie. I imagine the wildlife was still asleep at 5:30, I certainly was! 

Another 8.5km(ish - watch went a bit mad, at one point according to the track I ran across a ploughed field and a railway line).  My attempt at a tempo run was hampered by almost ankle deep snow in places and a brisk wind. Did it by effort rather than pace.  Not really enough time between runs - yesterday evening and lunchtime today.  Day off tomorrow I think.  Weather is supposed to be pretty bad the next few days but I will try to get out.

Wildlife watch? Very little today. Saw some interesting tracks in the snow where a large bird's wings had brushed over the surface on take-off.

T-shirt? Well I was wearing one but a windproof jacket over the top!

• 6.5 mile quite pacey run tonight with the club. Great, social run

• Sounds nice Nessie - I particularly enjoy running with my group once a week for the social side of it - I otherwise almost only train alone. 

Another one of those 8.5km tempo runs today in 40:53.  Found a weather window over lunch (fortunately - I am supposed to work as well after all) during which the wind had mostly died down and not too much snow was lying on the ground initially.  Couple of very heavy snow showers on route produced a couple of centimteres by the time I finished but the conditions underfoot were much better than on Wednesday.   Really enjoyed it.  The snow was driving into my face at times but I didn't care. 

Not surprisingly met no-one - wildlife was restricted to one buzzard flying sideways rather than forwards in a mini-blizzard. 

• swittleswittle ✭✭✭

Reports suggest it's well and truly winter out there!  But we're a hardy crowd, are we not?

After a few years here on RW, I also joined fetcheveryone.com.  Yesterday, after eight-and-a-half years of logging training & raching there, I passed through the 16000-mile mark.  To be fair, much of that has been done while Streaking. image

• Very impressive Swittle image Well done!

Great snowy running Hazel

Me- I actually chickened out of my Thursday run as the snow turned into sleet and I do the Thursday one from work, so have to sit in my (freezing) running gear doing my marking  at my  desk afterwards. Still, I felt like a right wuss!

Yesterday was a swim- 2k- which is further than usual. Saving my legs for today's 10k race at Hackney's Victoria park- flat as a pancake. Garmin time was 52.49 so hopefully still sub 53 when I get my official time. I'm really happy with that as I'm not race fit at the moment. Although it's nearly two minutes slower than my PB of 51 mins, set a few years ago also at Vicky park, I was super fit then and nearly a  lighter. So I'm thinking if I can ease off the food and wine, I *could* be on for a respectable time in March's HM.

Oh I've also signed up for the legendary Orion 15 (my club's super hardcore 15 mile XC run) in March image https://www.orionharriers.com/races/orion-15/ 

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    16000miles is a long old run swittle.

Couple of 13milers offroad Wednesday and today. Muddy and cold.
  • Awesome swittle.  I did amble over there to see if I could find you as you hadn't posted for a couple of days.  I was worried for the streak!

Great race Nessie. That XC looks nice (and tough!).  Which half are you doing in March?  You might have said already but I can't remember - sorry.        

Nice off-roading JT.

Me: Very slow 5.5km jog yesterday at sunset.  Got to look at some of the snowflakes currently adorning the landscape from below.  I was plodding along in around 20cm of virgin powder snow when my right foot decided to abruptly join my midair left one.  The snow was nice and soft to fall in though a bit cool. No damage done.  Was reduced to almost walking pace in deep snow up the hill - very hard work but only a couple of minutes.

Today: 16km in 1:27:36.  The minor roads which make up most of the route I used were well cleared of snow and ice-free this afternoon.  Happy with the pace as I was able to maintain it on the uphill bits.   3 other runners out - one my teammate off for a sneaky long run by the rucksack.  The thought of a huge saucepan full of homemade soup drew me homewards.

• JT141JT141 ✭✭✭
    Can none of us stay on our feet?

Out on my bike today. Bike all squeaky and rough in the wet - if it isn't running whisper quiet I'm not happy. Eight miles out I got another puncture. Patched the inner tube in the cold, mud and rain - thought "bollocks to this"' and rode home.

Anyway, run tonight was 8.3miles by torchlight in just over 1hr1. Calf a bit tweaky but fine once I got going. Went through a car park where there must have 30+ people doing some organised running/exercise thing. Lot of jogging on the spot with someone shouting "get your knees up". Could be a Mother Brown tribute group. Heard an owl, or owls as it was a twit and a woo call and response. They might have been gossiping about me, as owls do.
  • Ran around Richmond Park in the rain with the club on Sunday. 11 miles done, although I got lost (nobody's fault but mine) and ended up having to walk on some awful muddy hilly bits, then ask random people for directions. It was supposed to be 14 miles but as I'd run for 2 hours in the rain when I got back to the gathering point (cafe...of course) I just called it there. The run still left me pretty sore to rested yesterday.

6.22 miles covered today. Started slow and worked up to MP.