Options

Great Welsh Marathon Entry

Anyone managed to use the website entry links to enter this event for 2017?  

I get this error when I try: 'You have reached this web page using an incorrect address (URL).  Obtain the correct URL or contact the event organiser.'

I mailed to report it several weeks ago but it still doesn't work....

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

I think the organisers have gone away.  It would be good to hear from anyone who knows whether this race is ever going to happen again.

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

I saw on RunBritain website that they had applied for a licence for 30th April but did say provisional date.    http://www.runbritain.com/races?keyword=welsh&surface=0&month=01/04/2017&distance=M

I do hope the event does go ahead as I want to go back and run it again, won't be 2017 for me as I'm flying to Belfast that day for the marathon on the Monday.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Thanks, Shades.  A week after Connemara - will have to see ...  (Assuming it gets its licence.)

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Be a nice flat run after the hills of Connemaraimage.  

No reason why they shouldn't get their licence, I've always found the organisation etc. superb.   I guess the Cardiff Great Run event is a threat to it although I believe that won't be until 2018?

• Options

Can't see the point in them doing the marathon anymore to be honest....It as a great event but never got the numbers....With new Cardiff one 2018...Then it will get even less....Even 2017 is too late now.....Many like me and my hubby were wanting to do this one but in the end entered Manchester as we needed a spring marathon...

I hope they manage to get the half up and running...

• Options

I wonder is it anything to do with The Swansea half team taking over the half they run in March from Parc y Scarlett ground? I think it is same group although I could be wrong;-)

ALF: Always a little further
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options

You are right Welshpoppy, the organisers of the Swansea had Marathon are in the process of taking over the event, they already have taken over the Llanelli Half and are now currently obtaining the final permissions for the Great Welsh Marathon so fingers crossed it should be sorted soon, that's the info I got from the organisers of the Swansea Half back in November 

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Be too late for this year (April) I would have thought?

• Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Might be OK for time, permit already applied for and course measurement already in place.   They just need to advertise that it's definitely going to go ahead so folk can plan their races.

• Options

I'll contact them again today and I'll post their response as soon as I hear from them.

• Options
    This is the response I have just had.......Hi, unfortunately we are still awaiting confirmation from the local authority. It is our intention for the Great Welsh Marathon to proceed, and we share your frustration with delay, but we are hopeful that we will be able to announce the event very soon. Sorry we are unable to be more specific at this time.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭

Rebecca - thanks for that, would hate to see this lovely marathon disappear off the race calendar.

• Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭

Me too - I've done it four times.

• Options
    I had to defer my place last year so was really hoping to run it this year, the impression I got was that they really want it to go ahead.....I think I best get training!!
  • Options

Thanks Rebecca I have only just seen your responseimage I only run the half but would hate for the half or the Marathon to fall to the wayside such a shame everything is so slow.

Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    Hopefully we will definite confirmation soon, it's great to have a flat marathon on the doorstep
  • Options
    Looks like we need to begin again race is 7th May 9am :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    I think we lost the link to entries while RW were faffing around...

Entry is here https://race-nation.com/great-welsh-marathon-2017
  • Options
    I ran the Llanelli half Sunday which was taken over by the same team who are organising this event it ran smoothly but the medal was not up to last years standard and a cotton Tshirt although next year it will be a technical one. The gels are SIS which are the ones I use so happy with that:-)
    8 weeks for this race I think :)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    How can they call it wales longest running marathon...It hasnt been going over  7 years ... havent they heard of the snowdonia marathon
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - well done at Llanelli half.   
    I was due to run the B2R ultra next weekend but it's been cancelled.

seren - I saw that, then reread it and it says South Wales, maybe it still says Wales somewhere else.
  • Options
    T RexT Rex ✭✭✭
    Can't make this event this year.  Doing Malvern Hills ultra (50M) on the Saturday and decided against running either this or Shakespeare the next day.  I know, I'm a bit of a lightweight.
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    T-Rex - the Malvern hills are quite tough, will let you off doing another race the next day ;)
  • Options
    T rex sounds like you have a tough race the day before enjoy :)
    Shades how is training any races this weekend?
    Training not been going as well as I would like so will be back to doubles as of Monday and hope it all pans out.I don't sleep well so it interferes with training!
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - was due to do Taunton marathon this weekend, but am having to DNS as have picked up an injury in my groin/hip.  No races planned for another 4 weeks so am hoping injury will be gone by then.

Poor sleep is a tricky one to try and rectify.   I've been working hard at improving my sleep and it's worked but this week I took 3 rest days in a row to rest injury and immediately back to poor sleep again.  I ran yesterday and then had a good night last night.  So I run to sleep....or sleep to run!
  • Options
    Shades Sorry to hear about injury but hope with the 4 weeks till you next race all will be sorted again:-)

Yes 2 hours last night so match sticks holding eyes open or a bucket of coffee:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - oh that is a serious sleep problem, you poor thing.  No wonder it affects your training.   I hope you can find a way to improve your sleep time.
  • Options
    Thanks Shades I am on half sleeping tablet a night and hope it settles down again so I can stop taking them  it is the pesky " paws".
    How is the groin/hip?
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression
  • Options
    SHADESSHADES ✭✭✭✭
    WP - lets hope the sleeping tablet does the trick.

10 days into my rehab programme for my hip/groin and I am making progress.  I still run a bit but have to do a lot of walking too plus a huge list of exercises to do every day, but it's working.
  • Options
    How is the hip/groin everything going well?
    Longest run in  ages for me Monday 11 miles hoping Friday to run 12 miles all hilly so worth at least 13 I hope:-)
    Miles makes smiles.
    Progression