Options

VLM 2017 !!

Comments

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone not posted for a while but I'm still trying to train hard.

I'm following the Hal higdons programe which is going well. Was in New York in Nov and ran around central park on the tues and Wednesday. Then after the 2 8 miles runs I damaged my Achilles

Finding time to train is hard work what with two kids and a wife who is a tri athlete also. She is also training for 2 half iron mans and a full iron man this year and the Manchester marathon.

At the moment I'm 3 miles ties to thurs then a long run on a Sunday morning. 7 miles this Sunday coming.

I be interested in the 20 miles in March from curry Sark, do you know the date your going to do it?

I've got the Brentwood half on the 19th March.
  • Options

Spenno,

Most likely to be 26 March - it will still be a slow 12 minute/mile pace

AND I STILL EXPECT A BIG MAC AT THE END. lol

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Cool no probs I might be around hopefully.
  • Options

Morning all

Last weeks training went really well, felt like I was getting some pace back when doing a 5 miler at 7:35/mile average and finished the week with a 12 miler in 1:50. However, my right knee was killing me later in the day, just on the kneecap, a bit of googling suggests runners knee so I've prescribed myself a bit of rest and voltarol gel which has helped in last couple of days.

Once I feel back up to it I'm planning on building back up very steadily and to keep an eye on it as I don't want to risk jeopardising my place by pushing myself too soon.

Still penty of time for me to recover though and I feel like I've got ahead of my training plan in any case so hopefully nothing lost in that respect.

Anybody else suffered same injury? It sounds pretty common so I'm guessing one of you has at some point over the years

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    My knee hurts a lot. Rock tape does the trick. I had major knee surgery in 2012 so I don't expect to get a free of pain marathon for me.

Deffo recommend rock tape
  • Options

Kinga - knees can be funny like that. I had a lot of trouble with my left knee when I first started increasing my mileage. I would apply Rocktape (or the much cheaper but totally indistinguishable ALDI equivalent) and it provided some relief - but only temporarily. A little rest and a visit to a good physio saw that in my case the problem was caused by a slight stiffness in my foot as well as the 'usual' cause of knee pain for runners - failing to use glutes enough. I was given a set of exercises that I did diligently for a while and the knee got better.

Ultimately it took me about a year before I was really clear of any knee discomfort and I think a lot of that has come from just getting stronger and more used to running. 

The only advice I'd have is go see a physio and get an expert opinion. It may seem like a minor niggle now - but you dont want it blowing up into a major problem between now and April.

Summer has kicked in horrendously around here (Brisbane Australia) and yesterday afternoon I stepped out for a 10km run in 34C 70%humidity. I swear I must've lost more than a litre in sweat! Gonna have to get up really early for this weekends long run if I'm going to avoid the worst of the heat. 5am start for a 15 miler.

• Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

I'm running again image ???? 5 miles yesterday, leg felt fine image  Now to get back into training proper! 

• Options

I ran from Tower Bridge to the finish line of the VLM (plus a bit more to the McDonalds on Whitehall) as part of the familiarisation training run with two newbies and a friend who has done over 240 marathons earlier today - the total distance was 22.11km or 13.76 miles - was 28 seconds under my target pace/time at the end.

YTD = 114.57 miles (184.375km)

Is anyone doing Silverstone Half on 12 March? I will be pacing there.

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    98 days to go everyone. I'm glad my rest days are Mondays!!
  • Options
    Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    9 miles done on Saturday. Got round in 1 hour 24

Mins. Really enjoyed the route and had a few hills thrown in. It good to get back into the routine of training for the marathon again. Done some cross training yesterday at the gym. What type of activities do other people do for their cross training?
  • Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Well for me I'm a cyclist normally so really that supposed to be my cross training. But I always push it too much on my bike. So I'm stopping doing that. Think I stick to walking
  • Options
    Rossi71Rossi71 ✭✭✭
    My cross training has usually been consisting of going to the gym and jumping on the bike. I do enjoy it. I'm not too keen a cyclist but do enjoy the bike at the gym
  • Options
    TopSecTopSec ✭✭✭

Cross training for me is usually cycling and gym classes (body pump, circuits etc).  I haven't done either for ages though for various reasons so must get back to it.  I found that having a stronger core really helped me with my running.  On a long run it was often my core/shoulders that would start aching/tensing up but that all seemed to disappear with plenty of gym stuff image

• Options

I do no cross training at all

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    I've cut down on the drink also lol
  • Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    What about yoga is that good for you
  • Options

Never heard of a world class yoga runner - lol

All the gadgets and training plans don't get you to run faster or longer until you get off your backside and do the miles.

I have not achieved much but whatever I have has been through hard graft and most importantly, I am content.

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Totally agree with that. You gotta put the hard graft in. If i wasn't prepared to put the hard graft in I wouldn't be trying to raise money to do the london marathon. Hard fitting it in with family life. Dubai next week so warm weather training can't wait
  • Options

That's the spirit Spenno - well done.

Are you raising funds for SFH? = did we meet at the evening event for their runners just before Christmas?

Vanessa posted something about our run yesterday.

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Yeh raising money for SFH. No I couldn't make the date my wife was on business. Hopefully make your run in march. You on Strava
  • Options

Strava? what is that? a drink?

I don't do gadgets or any techie stuff.

Got my £5.99 watch from Argos and I know the routes I run - sorted

aiming to be over the 200 miles mark by the end of the month - that will do me

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Wow. Strava just a app you can see the route

You done, splits etc. Lucky enough my wife gave me her garmin watch which I love
  • Options
    DazzaLDazzaL ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm in for VMLM 2017 image I found out a few weeks ago that I was picked in our club allocated place for the race.

I've never run London before so will be reading back over this forum post to pick up some information. I have run a few road marathons but not since 2012 (both Brighton) but last year I ran a couple of short ultras as well as three four marathons so hoping that's given me a good base to work from.

Can't wait. We'll see how training goes before I commit to goal time.

• Options
    DazzaLDazzaL ✭✭✭

Harmender, you seem to to the Oracle when it comes to the London Marathon!

Do you know where club runners start? Is it determined by the start time you specify during the unique registration you're provided by your club secretary?

Any ideas where the Expo might be as the ExCel is busy I believe that week.

Darren

• Options

DazzaL,

Club runners usually at Blue start with 'Good for age' entrants are with the celebs at the Green start. The Red start is predominantly Charity runners

Your starting pen is determined by the wishful thinking expected time you put on the application form.

I have not heard any different (so far) that the Expo will be anywhere but the ExCel Centre'

Come and say hello at the RW stand and meet the pacers - not sure which days I am free yet but will try for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday afternoons - after 2:00pm

• Options
    DazzaLDazzaL ✭✭✭
    Thank you Harmander, I think I put down 3:15 which is my A goal assuming training goes to plan but we all know the marathon is an unforgiving distance if you're not 100% ready!
  • Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Who runs in tights during this cold snap. I tend to stick with shorts, base layer, t shirt and running gloves, hat
  • Options
    DazzaLDazzaL ✭✭✭

Spenno, it all depends what time I'm training.

During daylight and straight after work I'll be in shorts and t-shirt, sometimes with gloves for a mile or two however if it's after 9pm I sometimes throw on tights or swap ankle socks to long compression socks as the cold really effects my calves and causes them to tighten up which isn't great when doing intervals or tempo runs.

• Options

Whatever anyone wears please make it visible during the darker times - I see (actually sometimes I don't see) cyclists wearing dark clothing riding on pavements straight at pedestrians during the evening runs.

• Options
    spenno2spenno2 ✭✭✭
    Orange charity jersey and my Havering tri bright yellow tshirt does it for me